Harris Corporation

Harris Corporation Employer Reviews

MA office very slow, depressing, disappointing
Executive Administration (Current Employee), MAJanuary 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
a typical day at work for me in the MA office is to sit and stare at my computer screen all day. My talents, skills and knowledge is not being utilized. I am one that likes to be busy all day, every day. When transferring up here what I was told the typical day at work would be is the complete opposite. Harris Corp itself is a wonderful place of employment, – more... opporunities for growth and advancement are endless and encouraged IF you are working at the Corp Headquarters in FL. – less
Okay company
Software Engineer (Former Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 27, 2013
I interned there and while individuals seemed to really want to help and give you things to work on, upper management really didn't care and I was left with long periods of nothing to do. Even when I asked for work no one had anything substantial for me to work on.
Business Analyst II (Current Employee), Reston, VADecember 17, 2013
I really enjoyed working at Harris Corporation. I especially enjoyed the flexibility that was given to the employees.
No Longer a Good Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 12, 2013
They don't care about the employees. Various upper management very biased against certain people. Do not treat employees with respect and dignity.
Challenging Work
System Support Engineer (Former Employee), Palm Bay FloridaDecember 11, 2013
Pros: always something new.
Cons: sometimes facing lulls in work due to contracts.
Work was challenging as Harris placed me in various jobs which required constant learning. Data Analyzing was new and that last position I held. I became very comfortable with MS Excel and learned how to manipulate large number of data. My Co-workers were fun to work with and eager to help. The hardest part of working for Harris was the lulls in work. – more... Working for the Government was a feast or famine type environment. What I liked most about Harris was the people. – less
Help desk
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee), melbourne, flDecember 4, 2013
Pros: breaks lunch breaks able to talk to manager
Cons: not much room for advancement.
The Daily work day. for a call center they have all the best programs to help the workers solve computer and network issues. The staff and managers are very professional.
No longer a great place to work.
Engineer (Current Employee), Rochester, NYDecember 2, 2013
Pros: a fair amount of vacation time off.
Cons: benefits, management, boring work, all about the bottom line profit.
There have been two rounds of layoffs in two years. Attrition is higher than ever before. People have either been overworked or underutilized. The president is cutting costs to make the stock price go up. Compensation is not anywhere near average. Not worth applying. I will say The job is easy and you can pretty much sleep at work. You will become complacent – more... and lose engineering skills. This has been a major step backwards in my career. Any reviews over a year old do not apply anymore. We have cut too much to be effective. I dread going to work everyday. – less
Good company to work for.
Software Engineer (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLNovember 13, 2013
Lots of movement potential. The company is big and has a lot of projects, if you don't like the one you're on, you can transfer to another one and the culture around doing so is very positive. Benefits are good and jobs are secure.
Very good
Lead Engineering Technician (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLNovember 13, 2013
Worked there for almost 25 years so the job security was good, I would recommend it.
Disciplined, demanding, high expectations, high degree of coordination between coworkers and departments.
Network Specialist (Current Employee), Melbourne, FLNovember 12, 2013
Pros: consistent, reliable income with good benefits
Typical Day:
Network Operations Center. Fast moving, reactive, response driven environment. Observe numerous network monitoring tools; create tickets; perform level one troubleshooting; initiate, coordinate and quarterback resolutions.

What I Learned:
Spectrum network management and control system. Netboss monitor and control system. Infoblox DNS system. – more... Autosys application and process scheduler. StatSeeker network statistical analysis. Cisco Unified Operations Manager.

Management:
General oversight for administrative functions. Minimal micromanaging of day to day functions

Co-workers:
High quality, highly trained, committed, creative, collaborative.

Hardest Part of Job:
Sitting for too long.

Most Enjoyable Part of Job:
Resolving/fixing problems – less
Excellent Company as long as you don't get pigeon-holed
Supervisor/Shift Lead (Harris IT Svcs.) (Former Employee), Englewood, CONovember 1, 2013
Pros: free coffee, tea etc... soda was only .25, had a fair amount of company sponsored events, food, picnics etc.
Cons: 30 min lunches, 24x7x365, odd hours/shifts. had a manager that was rarely in the office.
I worked for this company for 4-yrs, great benefits, and growth potentials. Facilities were above average, but management was closed minded. Co-workers were fun at times, but closed off...no outside activities or cohesion while at work.
Harris Corporation
Executive Assistant/Office Manager (Current Employee), Falls Church, VAOctober 29, 2013
A good company to work for. Worked with a diverse group of people.
Culture is not good for experienced professionals
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee), Melbourne, FLOctober 14, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: poor management and culture
There are a lot of problems with Harris. To start, expect to sit in an office ignored for the first 6 months of working there. Second, managers pick the employees they want working for them. Any manager worth their weight will have engineers lining up to work for them. Bad managers will not be able to find anyone to work for them and will be forced – more... to make a request for workers from HR. HR will then assign a new hire.
My experience had me placed under a guy who was scamming the company. He was clocking 14 hours a day 7 days a week on a program that had run out of any billable work 2 and a half years prior. He was very upset when HR assigned me to work for him. You see, HR had determined that he was being over-worked due to all the hours he was clocking and thought he needed help. It was the extreme opposite. He didn't want to be busted so his strategy was to just ignore me. Weeks and then months passed with many failed attempts at communication. I'd reported my lack of work and communication multiple times to my superiors to no avail. At the end of the year I was given a horrible review and then subsequently released. It was the worst professional experience of my life. In the year I worked there, I can't say I accomplished a single worthwhile thing.
Saying this, there were people who didn't have such bad experiences. If an employee is able to develop a reputation for being dependable and managers often request them for their program, then that employee will stick around and probably be happy. Also, new graduates starting their first jobs are generally placed into programs that guide them along at a nice happy pace.
As far as compensation goes, they pay very competitively. Lastly, Melbourne is a small town that is run down. There are a few nice areas however. – less
Cutting edge, innovative and exciting times in healthcare
Executive Assistant to the President, Healthcare (Current Employee), Falls Church, VASeptember 17, 2013
Pros: immense learning opportunity
Cons: company moving to herndon, va february, 2014
Great opportunity to support president of the healthcare division and to assist in building the healthcare business. Busy environment implementing processes, protocols and learning the key players and helping put the pieces together as this business grows. Very cutting edge products will be available soon that will transform healthcare. Plenty of interaction – more... with all levels of management and staff. – less
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Bellevue, NESeptember 17, 2013
Tell us about:
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Great place to work on many different things
Electrical Engineer 3 (Current Employee), Melbourne, FLSeptember 8, 2013
Technically focused company that provides many opportunities to work on a variety of different things.
Relatively stable place to work.
Engineer (Former Employee), USAAugust 27, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Reasonably stable place to work. Smart co-workers. Predictable schedule.
Driven by work for predominantly military customers
Engineering Aide (Former Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 23, 2013
OT always available but always the threat of a layoff due to all their eggs in one military basket. Love the people and the work.
Very Positive Experience
Sr. Program Manager (Current Employee), Melbourne, FLAugust 11, 2013
Harris has provided me many opportunities to grow and experience many facets of the business. From program execution, strategy development, acquisition and product development/management.
Good place to work for
Production Specialist (Former Employee), Rochester, NYAugust 7, 2013
Pros: healthcare, occasional free lunches, busy
Cons: management not having knowledge of all areas of the job
Work was very busy from the time you walked in to the time you left. I learned how to run the machines, as well as how to lead a group of people to achieve day to day goals. The management team were personable, but demanded too much out of a minimal crew with machines that were breaking down everyday due to using them for shorter runs than what they – more... were designed for. Some of the co-workers were friendly, but others were there to just cause drama. The hardest part of the job was when the machines would go down for an entire shift to be repaired and we would not make the daily requirements we needed to make and then have to run harder to make up for our loss. The most enjoyable was that the work never stopped. You were always busy and had little standing around time. – less

About Harris Corporation

Harris has ways to make its customers communicate. The company, which develops communications products for government and commercial – Read more