Harris County Appraisal District Employee Reviews

A good place to work.
HCAD Temporary Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2017
My observation is there are segregated departments. The agency is a friendly and competitive place to work. Likes to promote from within. Constant training for appraisers.
Pros
Compressed work week
Cons
Procedures during the hearing season
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 8, 2017
Great Company everyone's willing to help train and willing to work together, room to grow and learn. Willingness to teach and make sure you understand your job.
Great Work Place
Administrative Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Great work place, with room to grow with in company. The hours and days are perfect I feel for those with family's. They have decent lunch hours and a huge lunch area. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping centers around as well.
Secure and Relaxed
Commercial Valuation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 17, 2017
Harris County Appraisal District (HCAD) offers a great deal. They will pay for the coursework that is needed to obtain not only the license necessary to value property in Texas, the registered professional appraiser, but the coursework and exams needed to obtain IAAO designations. Upon completion of these exams merit raises are given to a certain degree. Overall HCAD is a good place to start for tax professionals or anyone interested in pursuing a career in property tax or related fields. HCAD is also a good place to make a career as there are multiple departments with numerous positions in each.
benefits
Cons
poor evaluation system
office work clerical
Data Entry- Information and Assistance Division (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 26, 2017
you learn about the appraisal district as an entity, laws and regulations, property appraisal, customer service, new construction, permits, texas property tax code, processing homestead applications, charitable organization exemptions
Pros
9/80 work schedule
The District is a great place to work
Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2017
I did enjoy my job. The culture in my department was lacking. Management needs training on how to lead effectively. My co-workers were pleasant and helpful when we were allowed to speak to one another.

I found my day to day tasks fun, interesting and challenging. The District as a whole was a great place to work.
Appraiser IV (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 18, 2016
Worst thing about my job. Hcad would be a great place to work if it wasn't for the management team running my department. It depends on the position you are in and the amount of influence you may have in your department to make a difference.
Benefits
Cons
Management treats you like family
Telephone information specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 16, 2016
I've been here for a few years i love my direct management, the pay is not good, dress code depends on your manager and what others feel like you should wear(even though there is only 1 dress code it depends floor by floor and management). I love the schedule with the option of Friday or Monday off.

instead of promoting people to new positions they bring in outside people who don't know anything, no overtime, watched like a hawk , each floor has their own dress code, you have to fill out an LOA for any missed days or overage on lunch, you also have to write a story on why you are submitting your loa and give the phone number and name to where you are going

In the phone back you have to know EVERYTHING from the appraisers job to the chief appraiser and you're not compensated for your knowledge
Pros
Monthly luncheon, every other Friday off, lost of room to grow, great health benefits
Cons
In the phone back you have to know EVERYTHING, no raises if your not the bosses favorite, instead of promoting people to new positions they bring in outside people who don't know anything, no overtime, watched like a hawk, each floor has their own dress code
Great job for security minded folks
Information & Assistance Admin Tech IV (Current Employee) –  290 @ HollisterJuly 7, 2016
The work conditions are great and for us older people who are more concerned about the benefits, they are really good.
They still offer a pension plan, real good dental and health. You can have every other Friday or Monday off and 10 paid holidays. Like all jobs it depends on who your supervisor is, there are some good ones and some bad ones.
My only problem is the drive, I live 40 miles away. That gets real old real quick. Over all it is a good place to work.
Pros
Pension plan, 10 paid holidays, paid sick leave, health and dental insurance
Cons
It is located on Hwy 290, Unless you live close by it can be pretty stressful just getting there and getting home.
Fun Workplace
Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2016
This company made you feel like family since the first day you start.Would highly recommend this place for anyone to work at.
I liked what I was doing.
Temporary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 19, 2016
I was kept busy. It catered to my real estate side expereience. I got to meet a lot of people who owned houses around the area.
Bad culture
Purchaser (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2016
Treat employees like cattle, promise the world to get you in the door. Do not follow up on promises. I have never seen so many unhappy employees.
Pros
Cons
Almost Everything
Harris County Appraisal District
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  13013 Northwest Freeway, Houston, TXMarch 3, 2016
A good place to work with helpful and friendly people. The pay is well below market average, however. My subject matter experts were almost always available and quite helpful. Overall, I would say this is a good place to work if money is not your only criterion.
Pros
pleasant work environment, friendly people, orgnaized
Cons
low salary
N/a
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 24, 2015
This job is great to work at. I enjoy the workplace atmosphere and the diversity of cultures is great. Management is great to work for because they work with me and my personal issues that may come up.
Great fast pace environment to work in
Exemption Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 8, 2015
• Direct and Indirect customer relations.
• Detailed processing and data entry.
• Extensive research and quality control for account resolutions.
• Handle high volume front desk customer service.
• Manage and update accounts.
This job is not considered to be hard it is just a matter of coming in and doing what is necessary to get the work done. The management team works very hard to make sure that the work environment is friendly while being productive. The most enjoyable part about the job is when the property owners come in for help and I am able to give the best service that they have ever received.
Celebrate accomplishments for the closing year. On site training for job advancements
Operation Support Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 6, 2015
A typical work day was fast past during certain parts of the year. I learned to be patience, to inform, and to resolve customers concerns. Management was very supportive in keeping updated training per department as well as encouraging training for promotion. Co-workers were willing to assist in any overloads that another co-worker may have In order to complete the days task. The hardest part of the job was archiving thousands of files at the close of the season. The most enjoyable part of the job was to see mission accomplished with a satisfied customer.
Pros
job advancements
Cons
irate customers
Typical government job with ups and downs.
Commercial Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2015
The job was a typical government environment. It had it's ups and downs. Overall a good background for becoming a property tax consultant.
Structured and productive work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxJanuary 31, 2015
Harris County Appraisal District is a very structured environment. My day was not the same routine it varied. I constantly learned new things every day, which was my favorite part.
Job Security
Supervising Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2015
A very good place to work. Suprv's. and upper management provide all the training a person could need.

I would recommend them to anybody.
Pros
Field work
Cons
Uninformed public
Productive and a very strict work enviroment.
Telephone Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 22, 2014
Perform advanced information duties in a telephone communication center, display professionalism, courtesy and patience at all times in assisting property owners and the public. Trained telephone specialist I as well. Very busy and strict work enviorment. I've learned a lot about how the property tax system works. Worked with professiona and educatedl co-workers. The hardest part of the job was telling people no on decreasing their appaisal values. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to help others even when the economy was at a low.
Pros
Monthly luncheons.
Cons
No breaks if extremely busy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris County Appraisal District. Our community is ready to answer.

Harris County Appraisal District Reviews by Location