Harris County Department of Education Employee Reviews

Hcde
Software Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 23, 2017
HCDE is a wonderful place to work for. It has flexible hours. It has spring break, winter break. The work schedule is very family-friendly. People there are very nice and respectful.
Dont make it your first choice
Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 10, 2017
Alot of work for little pay!
The company is more concerned with paper work looking good and not the employees dealing with children beating on them or harming others.
Will throw you under the bus to save themselves no accountability. Teachers off for one moth in the summer and come back in july for 10 hour days to set up classroom and take it down two or three times before school starts back.
assistant teachers off all summer!
Pros
breaks for holidays
Cons
no lunch breaks, poor teacher student ration, no one really helping students with disabilities
Great for first year teaching
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 28, 2017
Its a good place to start your teaching career. This job would be a great start if you enjoy teaching younger children ages 3-5 years of age. The only downside is that there is a huge gap difference with the pay.
No Bilingual Stipend
Staff (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 12, 2017
Bilingual staff does more than those who only speak English, and the pay is the same, if you speak Spanish be prepared to do most of the translation for the same pay as your co workers.
working with children in a classroom setting .
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2017
I would Asst the teacher in the classroom with the class work and and daily activity in a small setting . Each child will be able to do a activity and then enjoy center fun as they learn .
Pros
I have a great group of staff i worked with.
Cons
Sometimes we didnt have alot of materials from the classroom.
Could be better
Family Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2017
Upper management does not care about their employees. They say that they want you to be successful but they don't tell you about any problems until they pass. Your constantly going to trainings but the trainings are ineffective especially when you receive power points and they are reading the same things to you. The most enjoyable part of the job are the kids.
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant-Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2017
Perfect for working parent. Supportive agency! I would recommend other to apply for a position within HCDE. The pay and health care benefits are great. The pension plan is a great benefits, and you are given the option to work four days a week during the summer.
picked up grant for ECI from Klein ISD
Licensed Specialist in School Psychology (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2017
Enjoyed meeting with families to give information and determine necessity for services. Enjoyed the interaction with multidisciplinary professionals. This company held the yearly renewable grant issued from the Sate of Texas. It was ultimately determined to discharge the grant.
Pros
access to a variety of professionals to glean information
Abs west
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Special Education) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 6, 2016
Great working experience and work environment! I love the children. It was a pleasure working for this company. I learned patience and the basic skill of caring for special needs children.
Very organized company
CLERICAL AIDE (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 3, 2016
Every day we work orderly to input data and do reports for teachers and students.The hardest part about this job is working on the day we register new students because we have to test them and go through an orientation and etc.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Long hours for registration day
Fun Workplace
Nutrition Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 12, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was the friendship I made with co-workers. I learned a lot about the different programs such as Nutrikids and eFinance.
Director (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Organization is filled with hard-working employees. HCDE makes a difference in the lives of children in the Houston area. Good place to work, company does great things.
I enjoyed working at Harris County.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 21, 2016
It was a great experience. Working with kids is always a plus for me. The pay was reasonable. The only problem I had with this job is the lack of team work.
Pros
working with Kids and cooking
Cons
lack of team work
Working alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Client Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2015
Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a school district. A lot of personally growth and development.
Afterschool teacher (Former Employee) –  Houston TXOctober 2, 2015
Job was fun working students in a after noon setting. I really enjoyed working with students and building robots. I learned how to use every when held back by a time limit.
Quick Money Not a Career
ESL and GED Math Teacher (Current Employee) –  Katy, TXJuly 12, 2015
HCDE treats their employees as temps. Not really a place where you can build a career. Would recommend this to people just need a supplementary income only.
productive and fast pace for environment
ASSISTANT CENTER MANAGER (Current Employee) –  16102 RidlonJanuary 23, 2015
educate 20-25 students, prepare lesson plans, communication with parents and co-works, team building. I loved to come up with new innovative ways to prepare education for students and getting parents involved.
Enjoy working with families
Family Service Provider (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 11, 2015
A typical day at work consist of providing case management services working with children and families assisting the families to met needs and to become self sufficient. My co-workers and I are very supportive of each and work together to help families to develop positive goal orientated relationships that supports the children and families. The hardest part of my job is when families are not connected with the community resources to help them to become self sufficient. The most enjoyable of my job is when I help families to reach their goals or when I at least help make a difference in one family life.
Pros
Work schedule and time off
Cons
No 401 plan high healthcare benefits
Fun environment
Trainer/ Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 10, 2014
The staff at my location are great. Sometimes the monotonous environment can wear you down due to the student's behavior. As a teacher there are limited advancement opportunities within the district.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Limited advancement opportunity
Productive work
ESL Teacher/Bilingual Teacher (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 4, 2014
A typical day at work would be starting my class with greeting the students as they come in to class. I would then settle them in and start with the days lesson. I would then continue following the lesson plan for the day.
I have learned to be patient with the students in the classroom. I believe a teacher does the job well if he or she loves the teaching profession.
The most enjoyable part of the job, seeing the students learn in the classroom.