Harris County Employee Reviews

Terrible Place to Work, No Room for Growth
Accountant IV (Former Employee) –  Auditor's officeAugust 2, 2016
This place is extremely unprofessional! Management is a joke. It's impossible for you to grow here. They have a flexible work schedule but most of my time here has been spent surfing the Internet. NO WORK TO DO. Didn't learn anything here. The pay is ok. Vacation and sick days or comp time must be used for natural disasters or building closure issues. No short or long term disability. THEY DO NOT PAY FOR EMPLOYEE PARKING EVEN THOUGH THEY OWN MOST OF THE PARKING GARAGES IN DOWNTOWN. I've been on a wait list for a parking spot for two years now. You must provide your own forks, knives, spoons, plates, napkins AND water!
Pros
If you're lazy this is the place for you!
productive
Window Clerk (Former Employee) –  7300 N Shepherd DrJune 21, 2016
a typical day at work was to be able to make my customers as comfortable as possible. Being that they were at the tax office bothered a lot of individuals, and was always making sure they left with a smile on their face.i'd rather not comment on management.My co workers were somewhat great, the hardest part of my job was rejecting customers because they didn't have the correct documents for their transactions.
Productive,
Assistant Coordinator to the Planning Council (Former Employee) –  Houston Heights, TXJune 28, 2016
If you're a multi-tasker, this is a great job for you, which was a great job for me. I enjoyed being the bookkeeper and also working as retention of volunteers. The folks in the office are hard working , dedicated people who do not work for the $$ but for the best interest of the volunteers.
Cons
long hours, no much advancement
Window Teller (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 7, 2016
A typical day at work came with long lines, upset customers, screaming babies, and continuously having to explain to customers why their paperwork couldn't be processed. I learned not to buy a vehicle from just any car dealership. The hardest part of the job was the short breaks and even shorter lunches.
Wraparound Facilitator
MHMRA (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 18, 2016
Over worked, and made to do double shift at the last minute. Some coworkers think they are the Captain. People are constantly in your personal life. The pay is not is not good, but you may never have a life outside of the agency. Too many cases. May not get home until 9:00 or ten at night. Run!
Pros
Some staff
Cons
co-workers, over worked, and Liars
Fast paced work environment with sense of family/community
Adult Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2016
Harris County is a nice place to work if you are attempting to get your foot in the door with gaining work experience. The culture of the department is very family-oriented. The sense of family makes the fast paced work and deadline driven obligations of the job bearable.
County Politics
County Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, GAMay 30, 2016
Great county, but lacks affordable housing, has good schools and great people. However, county commission reluctant to take on hard issues and pay employees, Certain commissioners micro manage and harass employees.
Pros
beautiful county
Cons
one bad apple on the commission
Great Experience
legal/courtroom intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2016
I learned a great deal, and it was an incredible experience. Everyone was really knowledgeable and efficient in their day to day. I would recommend anyone work here if given the opportunity.
Job security
Senior Security Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2016
You can do what ever you want at this job. Once you re hired on it is very hard to get fired from here. A lot of people trying to get ahead and will do anything to get ahead
Pros
Easy work environment
Harris County
Monitoring Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2016
Every day is something new, and there's no way you can prepare for it. Management has been there for years and they play play favoritism. The pay is not that great .
Pros
Free self Insurance
Cons
Favoritism
Productive work place
Community Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 29, 2016
Filing mail, answering phone calls/emails. Seeing client's, making home visits, and frequent court visits to discuss client's status while on supervision.
Top down management working environment
Project Monitor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 27, 2016
Work consist of having a good understanding of HUD rules and regulation. Must be able to multi-task and have a good working relationship with grant recipients.
Terrible place to work.
Corrections (Current Employee) –  DetentionMarch 1, 2016
Working have Harris County has been some of the worst experience ever. Management is extremely inconsistent always making up policy as they see fit, they don't care about their employees it's impossible to try to move up or to another department without having the "politics" in the way. Working in detention it's like of the employees are the real criminals because they're out they aren't looking at the residents/inmates, they're constantly looking at us to see what type of errors we make and not trying to tell us to rectify it more like trying to find a way to fire us. Morale is completely blow upper management and administration can do stuff like call in or what have you and when lower employees to do the same we get penalized and have consequences to face. Just like when they were recently on the news none of upper adman had consequences to face only lower workers which is completely unfair.
Pros
Nohing
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  101 S. Richey St.September 27, 2016
If I could return to work here, I would! The ONLY reason why I did not maintain employment here was out of both my and their hands.
great work environment
Community Supervision Officer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2016
Great place to work at while in school. Awesome work environment. It is always fun and time goes by fast. Great food, competitive pay. hardest part is working holidays and too many customers to deal with at the same time.
This position requires person(s) of integrity, loyalty, and must maintain open availability. Good work environment to work in
Screen Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 19, 2015
This job requires someone who can work in a fast paced environment and able to complete tasks with minimal supervision. Attention to detail and whereabouts. As a Screen Technician you are required to go through training and being on time is a requirement. It requires attention to detail and ability to maintain total security of information obtained. You work alongside law enforcement and other government agencies and officials. Co workers are there to complete the same job you are, therefore don't expect training to be something just taught. All senses will be used in this field.
Pros
good pay, set schedules, good work environment, room for advancement
Cons
limited positions, parking, benefits, varied locations, varied personalities, weather restrictions and call-ins, downtown requires entire shift standing, short breaks and lunches, hours
Low Morale,inconsistency in Managment
Autopsy Assistant / Forensic Investigator III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 18, 2015
Low morale within office.. Petty arguements cause larger issues. Employee Over sensitivity causes workplace uncomfortableness.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Coworkers
Productive, Great experiance, Fast paced for the first 5 hrs
Lead clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 15, 2015
First employee to become Lead Clerk 3 months after training.
Quick learner
Great customer service
Great way to meet attorney
Pros
Trial experiance
Cons
lunches were too long
Productive place
COORDINATOR - SENIOR CITIZEN SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 25, 2015
From the day I started at my site I immediately fit right in. Being the new person I thought i would be heard or my opinions wouldn't matter it was the exact opposite, ideas about how to get things done or ideas on how we can collectively work smarter not harder. During my last supervision I was asked how do I relieve my stress from work and from home My reply was "coming to work relieves my stress from home and going home is my stress reliever from work".
nice to work having fast and stressful place
Clerk (Current Employee) –  houston txMay 20, 2015
•Collects unsecured personal property, delinquent, secured and supplemental taxes.

•Collects taxes over the counter and posts collections to appropriate tax rolls and records.

•May explain tax statements and penalties to the public.

•Releases bonds when taxes are paid.

•Compose correspondence pertaining to delinquency taxes.

•Computes delinquent charges and costs.

•Maintains records of outstanding delinquent tax balances.

•Create monthly reports of unsecured personal property redemptions and maintains records.

•Posts figures to a variety of tax records and maintains records and files.

•Assists in the public auction including deed to purchaser and deposits of proceeds.

•Researches and files claims on bankruptcy cases.

2.8