Harris Group Employee Reviews

A solid work place
Switchboard/ Mailroom (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 12, 2016
This company has been in Rochester, NY for over 50 years. I started at this company because it was family oriented. This company stood by it's employees, took care of them when they need help and praised them when they did well. From what I hear the new companies do not do anything like this. I am sorry Harris Corporation is changing and not standing up for it's older employees. Everyone that I worked with was a friend. That was the hardest part, leaving old friends! The best part of my job was; I talked to people on the phone and got to sit for a time, standing while sorting the incoming mail and posting the out going mail and delivering the mail to the different mail stops. It kept the job interesting and active. I will miss the people!
Organized, highly confidential, job skills training offered to all employees.
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Henrietta, NYNovember 10, 2016
Harris has a enjoyable workplace. Most of their customers are military. Harris takes great pride in a quality product. Harris is always holding different training seminars for their employees to earn certifications to enhance advancement within the company.
Pros
Over time is often offered.
Cons
Employees are not normally hired immediately, they must go through YOH.
Employee Review
Information Systems/System Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 14, 2016
The work environment, competitive wages, benefits, training budgets have gradually declined. There have been many layoffs. The feeling that the employee matters has been horrible even more so in the past 5 years as the CEO does not seem to care about the employees they are only concerned about the bottom line.
Harris Is Great!
SOFTWARE DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TX 75701October 31, 2016
I have been here about 6-months, and I love it.

These people are friendly and helpful. Their employee turn-around is very low, so they do not mind taking the time to help the new person learn their duties.

I really like this company!
Pros
401k and health benefits start 100% on Day 1, something you do not see anywhere else.
Cons
For me living in Longview, the drive gets old.
Great Company
Integration and Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLSeptember 19, 2016
The people really care about their work. 9/80 work schedule was great but mandatory 45 minute lunch break made 10 hour work days a little brutal sometimes. Cafeteria was awesome in the HTC of Palm Bay. Unlimited vacation was also amazing. Can't complain about benefits. It takes a while to get working on a project but that's how it is at all large companies.
Pros
9/80 work schedule, unlimited vacation
It is a great place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne, FLNovember 7, 2016
I worked for Harris for a few months. Despite the positions cutting, it was a great place to work and I learned a lot from them. Despite being cutoff by a higher person in the food chain, my colleagues and immediate supervisor were good to me.
Pros
Great pay. Place to learn
Cons
Positions Laid Off- Didn't tell me on time
poor communication and leadership, great experience
Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 22, 2016
hardest part of job was lack of management; never knowing who to include in vital decisions, lack of group communication, key people missing work. The actual work to be done was very valuable experience, when we were allowed to do it. I spent most of my time filling out paperwork & filing.
Pros
great experience
Cons
poor communication
Great, if you're an engineer...
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Palm Bay, FLSeptember 22, 2016
Mediocre compensation for the little people who actually drive the company, management is always so tied up in meetings that they are oblivious as to what is actually happening in their department unless they run a report. Favoritism is king, right next to timecard fraud. The benefits are borderline worthless.
Pros
Favorable 9/80 schedule
working with the team was an awesome experience
Facilities Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 9, 2016
A typical day there is not such a thing being in facilities I learned a lot. My coworkers were awesome and the job was awesome but when it came to the bottom line they let me go to meet budget for the year.
Pros
team work
Cons
being let go to be in budget
Challenging and fun job
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VASeptember 27, 2016
Good atmosphere to work at and the people I worked with were always nice and helped me with the transition too.Did not have to work overtime too much. Instability in management and future
Pros
Did not have to work overtime too much
Cons
Instability in management and future
Employer has no firm business plan
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2016
This employer values the stock market and shareholders above employees. The business model for the company is constantly changing along with the management structure. Job security is not great since many contracts are for the military or government.
Pros
Challenging work
Cons
You are just a number with this employer
Hardwork but rewarding company
Information System Security Engineer 2 (Current Employee) –  Melbourne, FLJuly 13, 2016
My experience with this company covers over 8 years and has been an invaluable opportunity for me. I have had my hands in numerous technologies over and have had opportunities for advancement. The work atmosphere has been enjoyable and I have developed great working relationships with coworkes and management.
Pros
free lunches and training with vendors
Cons
working off hours
Contract workplace with no job security
Advanced Supply Chain NPI Buyer / Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 12, 2016
Worked through 3 contracts with Harris starting in Administrative work moving up to a buyer position. I learned many different systems and a more in-depth understanding of the purchasing world. Dealing with management and the uncertainly of job security was the hardest part of the job.
Awesome
Sr. Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAJune 14, 2016
Pros

Financially sound company and highly ethical. Lots of advancement opportunities and/or lateral transfers for expanding your experience. Training is readily available and encouraged.

Cons

Company has transitioned from a pro-employee company with high morale to a company that has continued to cut into benefits and employees are not given proper respect. Morale is very, very low.

Advice to Management

Management is aware of most of the issues, but are not empowered to do anything, but tow the C-level company line. C-level changes are likely to occur over the next year or two and new leadership should do more to support the employees, while still managing investor expectations.
BMDSS Implementation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 11, 2016
I work in a very professional environment with extraordinary people. It's not the work that I do but the people that I work with that make my job great!
Pros
good benefits
Cons
limited telework
Machine operator
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYNovember 9, 2016
I was in charge of running the front and back of a SMT machine with two other co-workers. we made sure that we would produce high quality military radios.
Pros
Company events
Cons
No weight room
Good Solid Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 29, 2016
I would recommend working for Harris to anyone. There are issues with job advancement and there can be a slight improvement with benefits. But overall the company is good.
Pros
Discretionary Leave Policy
Cons
Health benefits
Productive and fun work place
Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 20, 2016
Every day a new experience.
Great team work.
Making a change every day.
Seen a child make a progress is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Work flexibility.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
short breaks
Harris Corp
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 12, 2016
Working day to day with other operators is the most enjoyable part of the position. Position does require overseas work for 6 month rotations. Work life balance in San Diego is good.
Pros
Unlimited vacation
Cons
Poor management
Harris Corp is a wonderful place to work.
GRAPHIC TECHNICIAN/ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDAugust 30, 2016
Harris Corp has been an excellent company to work for. I have had many opportunities to grow and expand my skills. I have worked with terrific people who share their knowledge.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harris Group. Our community is ready to answer.