Harris Interactive Employee Reviews in United States

Great Comapny
Process Consultant (Former Employee) –  RochesterApril 24, 2015
It was a great company to grow my career with, and had many advancement opportunities. It was a great team I worked with, everyone knew their roll at the comapny.
stagnant
Accounts Receivable Clerk, Jr. Project Accountant (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 17, 2014
I enjoyed the position the first couple of years, but after management changes I did not enjoy working here any longer. HI has been purchased by another company, so I am aware there has been changes.
An experience
Customer Service /Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 24, 2014
It had its good and its bad. The great thing about working there was that it was a good work environment. The not so good was the continues repetition of the same work. It got very boring.
A great place to work that kept you busy on a daily/weekly/monthly basis
Project Accountant (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 20, 2014
Working at Harris you would typically set up new research projects on our project revenue tracking spreadsheets and accounting system. We will review and create invoices weekly, do collection calls on unpaid invoices. Process cash receipts daily. Assign job #'s for newly won jobs daily. On a monthly basis calculated revenue for all the jobs I managed. Created and updates reports on a weekly/monthly/quarterly basis. Worked with a group of 5 other project accountants that I worked with collaboratively as a team. If someone needed help a team member was always willing to help.
Pros
friendly work environment, management consider your needs of family and not just work needs
Cons
having to work weekends on a quarterly basis, no room for advancement.
Good company but was acquired by Nielsen
VICE PRESIDENT, Information Technology Operations (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYMarch 3, 2014
Company was acquired by Nielsen.
It was a good upstate company to work for.
Interesting, challenging job
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vestal, NYNovember 29, 2013
Harris Interactive was a good place to work. The jobs would change frequently, keeping you interested and challenged. I was empowered to do what I needed to do for my position. Each day I communicated with project managers, keeping them up to date on the status of the interviews, costs, and estimated completion. I trained the interviewers for each specific job. I tested each jobs programming, ensuring it was properly functioning before going live. I conducted meetings with interviewers, site supervisors, manager, and project managers off site. I monitored and provided feedback to the interviewers per job specifications. I had a team of up to 15 interviewers. I was responsible for attendance, scheduling, and mentoring them.
Pros
interesting work
Cons
at times difficult to motivate interveiwers
Fast paced and creative
Research Director (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYSeptember 26, 2013
• Managed complex projects from concept through final presentation
• Designed and fielded complex surveys
• Advised clients on the appropriate survey design and use of survey data
• Developed proposals
• Analyzed data and reports, making strategic recommendations to the client
• Served as a liaison between clients and research staff
• Provided consultative value-added advice to clients
Pros
intelligent and dedicated team
Cons
small support staff
Ok short term company
Director (Former Employee) –  New YorkDecember 13, 2012
The current company's management only cares about one thing, and that is saving every penny they can. They weren't investing in the people or equipment. I know when i left everybody in the company was complaining about the 401k match still missing and the ancient pcs they had to use. One other sore spot is that the current mgmt loves to offshore anything they can.
Pros
healthcare benefits was good, vacation.
Cons
no 401k match, dental expensive, no work/life balance, no training.
The most dysfunctional company I have ever worked for
VP (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYDecember 4, 2012
If you are considering working for this company, the first thing you should do is buy a copy of the CEO's book, Win One for the Shareholders. The title should tell you all that you need to know: this is a company whose single focus is to bolster stock value. That's not a bad thing by itself, especially if you're a stockholder. But if you're an employee, you can expect that the company will do all that it can to take advantage of you and work you into the ground. The company EXPECTS you to put in 50-60 hours a week. And if you have a moment, ask a current employee when was a) the last time you got a raise? and b) the last time Harris made a 401k match? So, you're expected to work very very hard -- with little or no reward. The most dysfunctional company I or most of my colleagues have ever worked for.
Pros
benefits program is not bad and there are some very good, caring, hardworking (and unfortunate) employees still there.
Cons
vicious managers, unyielding interest in financial issues and little in research issues
Fun workplace
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTNovember 25, 2012
Management is always fun and tries to come up with fun ways to "shorten the day" but this place is now closed. Hardest part of the job was sitting all day. I would enjoy moving around more and that's why I found a different job.
Pros
friendly workplace
Cons
sitting all day
Great Company
Team Leader, Panel Member Services (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 23, 2012
I worked for Harris Interactive for 20 years and not only did I learn a lot but was able to advance at a steady pace. The benefits are great and the people are a pleasure to work with. They worked with me while I furthered my education. AAA++
benefits
Cons
you need to be a hard worker but most of us thrived on that anyways so not really a con
It was a great place to work.
Manager, HPOL Panel Member Services (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 18, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Harris Interactive. I quickly moved through the company starting off part-time hourly to full time salary and management with in 1 year and stayed there 5 years. I did not leave because I wanted to ...the economy slumped after 9/11 and lay offs occured. I received a great compensation package. I would go back if I could...and I still might.
Pros
family oriented, good compensation
Cons
success of company is based on state of economy
Data Collection Interviewer
Data Mining and Marketing Collection Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYMay 31, 2012
At the core of performing as Interviewer at Harris Interactive, you make phone calls to opt-in and non-opt-in recipients and pitch to them in hopes of hooking them into agreeing to participate.

Interview topics are largely pharmaceutical-oriented, and funded by large drug companies in order to get Drs. to agree to participate. You'd be surprised at how many of them agree to be interviewed about a drug for a modest $50 check. No doubt, while customers of their own are patiently sitting in their waiting rooms.

The probing techniques HI trains interviewers to use are fairly elementary, and don't require much more than a "gift of gab" on the interviewers. If you happen to possess such a gift you'd do much better in real estate, car sales, or high-end jewelry sales.
Pros
working for hi longterm might land you in a suitable position eventually.
Cons
the work kinda sucks, and you need a thick "rejection skin" to actually survive.
Best days are not ahead
SVP (Former Employee) –  New YorkMarch 15, 2012
Company stopped innovating several years ago. Once aspired to be consultative, but now almost completely transactional.
Fairly laid back as long as you do what you need to.
Phone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Orem, UtahJanuary 17, 2012
It was ok working there and some people really enjoyed it. It is a outbound phone center so most people aren't really all that excited about that type of job. They are very good at training you on how conduct the surveys and most of the supervisors are very nice and will help you if needed
Pros
ability to talk to freind between calls, able to read, do homework etc. between calls
Cons
one ten minute break unless you work over 5 hours