Harris Teeter Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,144 reviews matching the search
Great place to work just need more quality people
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Reston, VAMarch 7, 2016
I would walk around the whole store insuring that we are all servicing all of our customers need and with great service. I would also check for conditions in the department looking missed opportunties. I would do that every hour. In the mean time I would be assisting any department that needed any help I would assist them. I also would check sales, checl counts making sure that we are getting the correct product in the store.
Pros
Well the entire benefits package is great, bonus checks
Cons
Not enough help, management has to work as associates all of the time
Harris Teeter exceeds other grocery chains in quality and service.
Scan Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 27, 2016
Harris Teeter is a reputable company, recently acquisitioned by Kroger. The job is fulfilling, schedule is accommodating, compensation is fair.
I work from 3:00 or 4:00 a.m. until my daily tasks are completed. I work 40 hours in 4 days. I have great co-workers and management. My job is enjoyable and is an asset to the productivity of the store team.
Pros
Scheduling flexibility
Cons
I wish it paid more
great work life balance, not great compensation
CHEF MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 2, 2015
if you're looking for work/life balance, go with Teeter. They hate overtime and will send you home at 40 hours, regardless. Customer service ends if you've personally hit 40 hours for the week, or 44 as a manager. Doesn't matter if there is work to be done/customers to serve, they don't want to pay OT. Go home and leave it for someone else. If you don't want to take your work home with you, Teeter is a great option - they won't let you. Compensation is on the lower end of the scale for grocery and they will nickle and dime you when it comes for a raise.
Good pay, long hours, good benefits, a place for advancement
Asst. Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 5, 2015
Your day could start at 6am or 1pm and you would typically work 10 hour shifts, which could go longer depending on the demands of the store that day. The associates were great and would work their butt off for you if you would do the same for them. I enjoyed the atmosphere of working with a variety of people and customers. The pay was good and the benefits were good. Upper level management could use some improvement but otherwise the company was good to work for, it took a chance on a 21 year old kid and turned him into a manager in three years with hard work.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours, mentally exhausting
amazing place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCMarch 1, 2016
Harris Teeter was one of my best employments. They set an atmosphere where everything is enjoyable at all times. Their benefits were awesome as well, with no long hours. they let you have time for your family.
Productive and great place to work
Cahier (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 3, 2016
I have learned that time management and diligence is important. Harris Teeter has great benefits and they offer great customer service as well.
Benefits
Cons
N/A
Good starting place
Front End Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Kill Devil Hills, NCOctober 29, 2015
As a part time job, it really cannot get any better.
If you only have high school education, it really cannot get better

This company will provide you with fair pay, benefits and bonuses twice a year.

There is decent job security and advancement in this company. However, this company is heavily customer service based. If you are not a people person, you are not for Harris Teeter.
Pros
Biannual Bonuses and Good Benifits
Cons
Some coworkers can be hard to deal with at times.
good place to work
Floral Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 20, 2016
Good place to work, good benefits. Good place for growth and gives you the ability to enjoy yourself and do your own thing to succeed.
U SCAN /Cashier
U SCAN cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 20, 2016
Harris Teeter is a very professional based company with benefits to teenagers and seniors offers a lot of incentives. I watched over the u scan counter while assisting customers by multi tasking daily.
Pros
professional
Cons
low pay
Great Company To Work For!
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 17, 2015
Great benefits, great employee online features. I worked in several departments, each had pros and cons compared to the other. Work never got too stressful, but the demand to do a good job was there :) which is good considering Harris Teeter has a world class reputation to uphold.
A Productive Working Experience
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 1, 2015
Harris Teeter is a great place to work because of the benefits, the training, and the teamwork. If you are part time Harris Teeter may not give you enough hours, but if you are full time Harris Teeter, will take care of you.
Pros
Benefits and the option to move forward
Cons
Hours and Organization
Cold and unhelpful management
Fresh Foods manager (Former Employee) –  VAJanuary 17, 2016
Middle and upper management is unfriendly and only speaks to managers, not regular employees. There is a lot of talk about safety, so if an injury occurs, they blame the employee. "All accidents are preventable".

Management want the work done with cutting hours during the holidays, but is unwilling to help. I worked at a location with multiple people with injuries. People are pushed until they can find a reason to fire them or they quit. There is no feeling of job security. The staff is miserable.

There are female and minorities in middle management positions, but after speaking to them I learned they had to give up family life to get there.

If you are a workaholic, who doesn't mind being unappreciated, this is the job for you.
Pros
Bonuses are good, discount is not bad, there are free products sometimes
Cons
30 min break for an 8 - 10hr day. Department heads have to put away truck orders.
Good Place to Work For
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Wilmington NCAugust 1, 2015
Harris Teeter is a good place to work at, but honestly does not offer really good ways to move up in the company. Job openings are only posted online, and when you apply for the position, they often fill the position internally by taking a full time person from another store and moving them to the store you work at. They require full time applicants to take a week long course in Raleigh, the learn how to be a full time clerk in their Grocery Store chain. Benefits are good, I never took advantage of them. Compensation is not really on par with other companies.
Pros
Nice People
Cons
Bad Management under new owners, Kroger.
Productive work environment with a sense of service.
Inventory Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cornelius, NCAugust 12, 2015
Harris Teeter Is a great company with excellent benefits. I learned world class customer service skills and how to work in a quick pass enviorment as well as the ability to adapt to change. Management can be a little stressful at times but overall they are excellent at prioritizing and coming up with sensible solutions to problems. The people I work with are overall happy and easy to get along with. The hardest part about working for Harris Teeter is the hours. I enjoy the people there, customer and and associate alike.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Darnestown, MDDecember 27, 2015
Great place to work. Higher pay than most retail jobs in the area. Everyone I know who has quit here has regretted it in the long run. Full time benefits are worth it.
Great environment and benefits
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Florence, SCAugust 20, 2015
Harris Teeter is a great company to work for. Offering bonuses twice a year, tuition reimbursement for students, and opportunities to grow and further yourself within the company are just a few of HT's benefits. By working there you are able to build relationships with customers that will carry you though out your years working at this grocery store. Holidays are tough with endless lines and long shifts but management does there best to accommodate you in every way that they can.
Friendly and appreciative work environment,
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 6, 2016
Harris Teeter is a very friendly and appreciative work environment. The customers are very dedicated and respectful to the associates. Management is polite and will do whatever they can to meet the needs of the customer. Harris Teeter does monthly training and gives weekly free items to the associates. I would recommend to any teenager, young adult or mature adult to make Harris Teeter your stepping stone and/or career.
Pros
Bonus checks twice a year
Cons
Need more fulltime pharmacy technician positions
Fast Paced and Diverse Company
Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 15, 2015
Harris Teeter is a fast paced environment that keeps you very busy. The demands of the customers and management are high so there is not a lot of room for down time. Harris Teeter prides itself on exceptional customer service which is part of why they have such a loyal fan base. I have learned in my time at Harris Teeter how to multitask and how to give the best customer service as possible. The environment is that of a team. The entire store is a team, as well as, each department within the store. My expertise is the front end and the front end is very cultured. Harris Teeter is diverse. I enjoy my co-workers very much. Management is typically supportive and they are very helpful with teaching you the skills that you need to advance in the company. The hardest part of my job is the fact that the demands of the upper management in corporate are often times unrealistic and difficult to achieve.
Benefits
Cons
Stress
Position was challenging
Cashier/Bagger and Homeshop Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Indian Trail, NCSeptember 30, 2015
Harris Teeter has many great benefits for those who are full time and can be a good place to work depending on the team one works with and the managers in charge. Very good for a high school graduate or someone wanting to work part time.
Cons
I see no opportunity to advance and am looking for a new ladder to climb, so to speak.
Positive Environment; Engaged Management
Cheese Consultant & Starbucks Manager (Current Employee) –  Kiawah Island, SCMarch 13, 2016
I currently manage a team of 9 and daily operations for the licensed Starbucks within Harris Teeter and previously was the Cheese Consultant at my Super Flagship store. Having previously been GM for a 2 million dollar grossing Starbucks, I haven't encountered anything new managing this licensed Starbucks but I have acquired a wealth of knowledge about speciality cheese and grocery operations. The store management is engaged and supportive. Because I have managed both the cheese department and Starbucks well, they let me work independently but are there as a resource if I need assistance. My co-workers are not as invested in their job as I would like but I have worked tirelessly to engage them and help them take pride in the work they do.
Pros
Supportive Management team, well compensated
Cons
Minimal upward mobility without relocation