Harrisburg Area Community College Employee Reviews in United States

No integrity whatsoever
Program Director (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 28, 2016
This college could be making a huge contribution to PA. Unfortunately, what it gives PA is hypocritical lip servic . It's all about getting those tuition dollars, period. And if you do not play the administrative game, you will get screwed in the most underhanded ways - no accountability because they can get away with it. Trust no one, the higher up the worse as "the fish starts stinking from the head down". If you know how to look like you are working hard, believe in double standards and BS, like to suck up to move up - this is the place for you.
Pros
students, benefits
Cons
administration
Interesting, New and Fun place to work
LPN / teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 7, 2016
Preparing and demonstrating class materials. Supervising Nurse Assistant students while they are demonstrating skills both in classroom and clinical setting. I learned how to teach students, working side by side with RN teacher. The hardest part of the job was the amount of hours preparing for class and working another job at the same time. The most enjoyable part was personal fulfillment of knowing I was helping someone else learn.
Pros
personal fulfillment
Cons
to many hours
Overall college is a wonderful place to work
Workforce Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 4, 2016
Recent changes do not fit my belief. Work week is great, co-workers are wonderful and students are the most enjoyable part of the job.
Teaching the next generation
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 8, 2016
Teaching is a fulfilling position and I am making the classroom environment fun again. They allow me to make up my own curriculum with their advanced knowledge for the classes I teach. I have a great administrative team that helps keep me in line.
Fun Learning Experience
Tutor, assisting students (Former Employee) –  Hanover, PAMarch 1, 2016
There was always a lot to do. I learned how to help customers. The management and coworkers made the day easier with help with heavy appliances. The hardest part was the weight of some of the products and having to lift them. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with the coworkers.
Good place to grow and learn technology in a school environment
User Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 20, 2015
Great place to learn how to converse with the staff and faculty when dealing with day to day technical issues. Positive environment to work in. there is always something to do while you are at work.
Adjunct Professor
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  York, PANovember 18, 2015
Taught 6-8 students Foundations of Education. Enjoyed teaching college students about the opportunities in Education. I only taught one semester.
This was a school for nursing so there was was no employment
Student (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 24, 2015
This was my full time schooling. I feel the organization was in the middle of a major change and was very unorganized at the time. I think there were many amazing teachers here but a couple "old school" ones were a little hard to follow, but you have that anywhere you go. I enjoyed going to clinicals where I could actually apply my skills and have patient contact. I love the public.
Pros
learning is always been a plus for me
Cons
long hours of study
productive teaching environment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 24, 2015
Helping college students achieve their goals by sharing my wide area of knowledge in biology, chemistry, and math as a professional tutor.
Pros
student interaction, continued reinforcement of subjects.
Cons
not enough available hours
was like family
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  LebanonOctober 6, 2015
Diversity training needed. Minority staff non-existing. In competent supervisors. Benefits good. The most enjoyable part of the job was the students.
Very rewarding job
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PASeptember 29, 2015
Student employee:
Entered Student Applications
Answered telephones.
Helped students find classes.
Greeted parents and students.
Pros
I believe in the Community College concept.
Cons
Had to leave because I transferred to Penn State.
Very laid back.
Library Assistant (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAAugust 27, 2015
A great place to work if you are a student. The co-workers are very helpful and will go out of their way to resolve any problem or question you might have. There is a lot of study time and very friendly people.
HACC York is a great place to teach
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  York, PAJuly 22, 2015
HACC York has a family atmosphere. The full-time support staff go over and above their duties to support a large adjunct faculty. I have taught there ten years and can't imagine a time when I will not teach classes at HACC in York. New federal regulations have caused HACC to limit the number of classes that any instructor can teach and many adjunct faculty (like me) have been forced to pick up classes at other institutions in order to "make ends meet" financially. If you are considering joining the adjunct faculty at HACC in York, PA - do it!
Challenging Useof Experience and Education
Instructor, Electronics Engineering Technology (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 12, 2015
I teach electrical and electronics courses. It is challenging in that I must review topics that I have not thought about in many years. It is also very satisfying to see students learn and progress and to know that I have played a part in that.
Pros
Satisfying work
Cons
Requires lots of preparationwork.
I truly enjoyed my experience and my job during my tenure at HACC
Bookstore Retail Assistant, Specialist and Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAJune 1, 2015
Independently operated and managed all aspects of the Lebanon Campus Bookstore. Coordinated, and performed sales; ordering, receiving and stocking of textbooks and General Merchandise. Marketed and promoted sales of merchandise. Interacted and communicated successfully with college administrative and academic staff and students to insure premium customer service in a diverse multi-cultural area. Maintained a pleasant and attractive work environment. Responsible for providing, overseeing and delivering technical direction to staff. Performed and supervised opening and closing processes such as: cash receipts and reports. Assisted with preparing budgets and other associated processes. Ensuring that activities are performed in compliance with applicable policies and procedures. Proficient with a variety of software and office equipment. Familiar with Social Media and its use.
Respectful Work Environment
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAMay 18, 2015
I enjoyed working at this company. The mangers I have had were respectful, courteous and cared about their employees.
The most enjoyable part of the job here was when we were all able to work with each other on projects. My co-workers wanted to see me succeed inside and out of work. The hardest part of this job was doing computer roll-outs during the summer months.
Excellent atmosphere with low compensation and no benefits.
Adjunct English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAApril 22, 2015
I enjoy the students, faculty and supervisors at this college. I am proud of the education we provide. I carry 2 or 3 classes per semester and always enjoy interacting with students and colleagues. The problem is that financial compensation is below par and benefits for part-time employment is not offered in any form. The addition of extensive hours grading papers at home makes this a very poor source of income.
benefits
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, PAMarch 12, 2015
Great company benefits, several campus locations, public contact and trainings available. Tuition reimbursement available. Able to take classes for credit.
Pros
christmas vacation
Cons
poor management
Full of challenges, job fullfilment
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 1, 2015
Team atmosphere, learning new functions, creating goals and striving to meet those goals. working out problems with a group of people and their respective contributions. Being able to pioneer new operations. creating change where change is necessary for overall success of the business. Hardest part is working through people challenges. Typical day at work was staying on schedule and the issues that may interfere with that schedule. Planning the day was always enjoyable, and with my military background, putting together a back up plan as well as learning to do an about face if major challenges came into play requiring a change in those plans. Enjoyed the analytical work associated with the daily challenges. Most rewarding is working in the trenches with the employees and coworkers.
Pros
meeting goals and schedules
great place to further education
Warehouse Equipment Movement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAFebruary 19, 2015
Great place to further your education and grow management helps find job opportunities help me grow get my certifications and move up in life and have a better opportunity to gain better employment the hardest thing was trying to do this program while I worked first shift