Harrison College Employee Reviews

Very student education oriented.
Full-time Instructor Health Sciences Program (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INJuly 3, 2016
Typical day at work would be prepping for class, teaching 1-5 students, staff meeting or meeting about student retention, meeting with supervisor, tutoring a student.

Hours could be 8-5:30 or 12:30-9:30 or 8:00-1:00 and then again 5:30-9:30pm.

Best part of the job was the teaching itself and mentoring to the students as well as watching them graduate.

The hardest part of the job was working in a hostile environment. After an instructor was raised to Program Chair they unfortunately let their position change their personality and priorities by be-belittling students and peers in front of an audience.
Pros
Some flexibility with hours on campus, nice christmas party with meal.
Cons
Too many meetings, management not following through with academic integrity with some students and not others.
Looking forward to completing my Associate Degree in the Medical Laboratory Technician program.
Work study program (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 4, 2016
Attending classes at Harrison College, as well as being a part of the work study program has been a wonderful experience. I thrived at work, classes, and laboratory procedures in a way I never dreamed. In attending Harrison I realized I had found the perfect career as a future Medical Laboratory Technician.
Associate Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 17, 2016
This was a great place to work. Employees were treated fairly and the company had a high regard for work/life balance.

Lots of opportunity for advancement
Horrible management
Medical/Science Faculty (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 25, 2015
Started out as a great place to work. Employees- teaching and staff- turn around faster than a revolving door. Every time new deans and management come in, new inefficient policies go into effect. The most inefficient place I've ever worked with continuous meetings and red tape rather than focusing on students and teaching. If management doesn't like you, they will constantly nit-pic until they concoct enough to let you go. I saw this repeatedly- it became a witch hunt. Most horrible place to work for a true education professional.
Pros
Lots of catering and free food
Cons
work hours, management, compensation, treatment of employees
Harrison College
TRAINER - OFFICE OF THE ADMINISTRATION (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 16, 2012
Harrison College (formerly Indiana Business College) is a company of over a hundred and ten years tradition which with I started my career and steadily grew within over the course of ten years.

The company was ranked on the best places to work in Indiana for three years straight. During my time there they fostered a company culture that allowed a good life/work balance for their employees.

My experience there was one of a kind. The only things I would like to have seen improved were limited advancement opportunities, compensation below industry standards, and steadily waning benefits plan.

The company has recently experienced significant reduction in force reflective of signs of a major internal restructure of leadership and operations.
Pros
good life and work balance
Cons
advancement opportunities, compensation, and benefits plan
Secretary
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INDecember 13, 2012
Excelled in role requiring the ability to handle a variety of customer service and administrative tasks and resolve customer issues with expediency.
Demonstrated proficiencies in telephone and front-desk reception within a high-volume environment. Calmed upset/angry customers researched and rapidly solved problems and rebuilt client trust to prevent the loss of key accounts.
Assisted “cleanup” of company database and files. Restored organization to personnel, financial and operational records and accelerated data input, processing and retrieval times.
Consistently praised by management for the quality and timeliness of reports, attention to detail, exemplary customer service delivery and team-player attitude.
Family oriented company
Admissions Representative/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2016
As an Admissions Representative a typical day is to make 100-150 calls to set up appointments for face-to-face interviews. I've learned in recruiting/enrolling for the programs I enroll for which is Vet Tech that it's a more sincere student who truly loves working and caring for animals.

Management style is micro-management. Co-workers are okay, but don't really work together as a team.

The hardest part of the job is facing the fact we are not the cheapest college and are students often say we are too expensive.

The most enjoyable is helping change peoples lives. Often times are students may be the first in the family to actually go to college and the fact I'm helping their dreams come true is very self rewarding!
Pros
12 paid holidays
Cons
micro-management
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 26, 2015
Enjoyed my employment at Harrison College. Great benefits and co-workers. Position was fulfilling and challenging. Company always had great accrediting reviews and audits.
Student success driven
Executive Assistant to Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 30, 2014
Harrison College is one of many local privately owned colleges in the Indianapolis area. The student demographic tends to lean more toward those with a much higher need for smaller class sizes and additional community resources in order to reach completion of their degree.
The Harrison College Scholarship Foundation was recently launched in order to help students overcome financial obstacles that lie in the pack of achieving their goals.
The ultimate mission is to help students better their lives and the communities in which they live.
Pros
Many campus locations. The Chef's Academy now in Indiana and North Carolina.
Cons
Benefits could be much better. Rewards are given for those who sacrifice family life.
Very boring workplace with little diversiy
Financial Aid Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 20, 2016
Very poor work environment, with very little diversity. Very little management. I would have preferred to work with a more diverse company.
Instructor
Adjunct Instructor Health Science (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INJuly 31, 2015
lesson planning
assisted students with externship sites
skill assessments
training
I learned how to research information to teach students to learn on different levels.
the most enjoyable part of the job is to see students grow and learn.
To see students start to feel better about themselves.
Pros
Flexible Schdeuling, Students, Managing
Cons
salary
Adjunct Online Faculty (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 15, 2016
Great place to work, they work with you and I have been with them since 1998 on and off and I have enjoyed everytime with them, I only left to run a program at IU Hospital
Four Program Chairs in the MLT program in one year....need I say more?
Program Chair (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 1, 2016
If you wish to work long hours and not have a family life....this is the job for you, along with getting paid 10% to 15% less than the regional average.

The students are fantastic. They succeed in spite of the many draw backs of the program.
Pros
the students
Cons
see the review of the MLT program from Sept 19, 2013
Okay if desparate.
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INFebruary 8, 2015
They should pay more. The office space is minimal for instructors. Management is kind, but afraid of confrontation or dealing with personal matters.
Pros
Students
Cons
no real office space, poor compensation, no job security
No life work balance; incompetent management
Financial Aid (Former Employee) –  IndianaAugust 5, 2015
This is a company where if you suck up, you will get far. If you are different in any way, you are shunned and treated poorly by co-workers.

This company's mission statement includes that there is a great life-work balance and that family is a priority. This is untrue and in fact hours in the financial aid department where changed on a quarterly basis. At the interview, I was told this was a day job, and maybe the latest I would work was six or seven a few times a year. By the time I left, I was working until 7 two nights a week and 8 one night a week. In addition, people with children were allowed much more room for schedule accommodation, while those without children were not given this privilege.

The company says they promote growth from within, but consistently hires for management positions from outside the company. This has proven to be a mistake given the high termination rate for new employees.

Unfriendly, unapproachable management and a clique-like atmosphere. The CEO actually said at a meeting (paraphrased), if people don't fit in, "Get them off the bus." Don't even waste your time on this place.
Pros
Pay is OK
Cons
Long hours, poor managment and training, cultish staff members
Harrison College
National Dean (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 5, 2016
See above. Recent change in excom management. Many lost their jobs. was great prior to excom change and direction of school.
Huge cuts in staff
Director (Former Employee) –  INDY INNovember 25, 2015
Closing central HQ in INDY. Many top talented VPs sent packing without warning. Company in trouble. Very poor management at the top level in INDY. Owner wants out.
Pros
Very old
Cons
took a great system and cut to the bone to look go to sell.
Attention to detail
Financial Aid Analyst/VA Certifying Official (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCNovember 6, 2015
This company was a great company to work for. It did require a lot of attention to detail while working in financial aid. A typical day required time management, meeting with students, making classroom visits and more.
Busy office with cohesiveness between employees in all departments
Senior Financial Aid Analyst (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INDecember 6, 2014
Each day at Harrison College is a very busy day in the financial aid office. Students were my first priority. The need of each student is taken seriously. Students are the lifeline of Harrison College, so it is very important to deliver exceptional customer service to each student. There were daily deadlines that had to be met. All employees in each department knew the importance of working together with the other departments to deliver exceptional customer service and meet the needs of the students. The hardest part of my job was when funding did not work out for a student who really wanted to attend Harrison College. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know each student personally and watching the students grow and prepare for their career.
Pros
Team building
Cons
Not an 8-5 job
There are pros and cons
Administrative Assistant and College Work Study (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INAugust 19, 2015
Harrison College allows a lot of advancement. Unfortunately, starting out at the bottom is hard. It takes a lot of time and effort to advance. There were no typical days. Some days were super busy while others were quiet and calm.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harrison College. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7