Hartford Steam Boiler Employee Reviews

Was a great place to work when I left.
Programmer Analyst, Business Systems Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTDecember 7, 2017
HSB was a great place to work. I am still friends with the people I met there 20+ years ago and some are still working there. I only left to take a job in a warmer climate and get away from the cold.
Spineless managers
Claims (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PANovember 28, 2017
Treated like a criminal and rushed out the door when they don't want you anymore. Managers behind closed doors all of the time. My work was above their standard but I never even was given the decency of a direct meeting.
Pros
Nice work environment
Hardest Part of the Job
JUNIOR PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Hartford, CTAugust 30, 2017
Watching times change, new management come into the picture. We had a structure change and new management was brought in to do the jobs of the people that were already accomplishing these tasks.
Fun & very fulfilling
Call Center/ Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 27, 2017
It was very rewarding and satisfying. I learned a lot and it I had fun learning the business. It does get busy but it is exciting. I recommend it to anyone.
Relaxed, comfortable work environment
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJune 4, 2017
Friendly people and management, new ideas in the insurance industry, slow paced. Improved Excel and SQL skills, learned ins and outs of the claim process, chance to produce work for high-level execs.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
Slow workplace
Alot of foreigners so it was a little hard at first.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTMay 23, 2017
I was a dish washer at first. I was in charge of the pots and pans. I also had to stock everything that needed ice such as the drink machine and the salad bar
High Level Insurance Company very rewarding
Insurance Underwriter (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAFebruary 10, 2017
The company was terrific. Very calm work environment, Solid company, Great Location. Happy workplace. The workday was medium. Good work throughout day.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Contractual
Customer Service in high rating
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 24, 2017
This is a fun place to work at.
everybody treat you with respect.
You have games and activity with the other co-worker
you have to show them you can handle hard task
Productive fast Paced Company
Underwriter Assistant (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAOctober 4, 2016
Hartford Steam Boiler is a very hands on, must meet daily quotas, extremely fast paced, and a micro manage company. You must be willing and able to learn and pick up knowledge quick.
Exciting, energetic environment
Market Research Representative (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAMarch 13, 2016
Market Research Representative
• Made and received calls to internal and external clients; Verified incoming emails.
•Created Microsoft Excel spreadsheets also acquainted with MS Office, Outlook, MS Publisher etc.
• Completed/ shipped marketing materials upon request. Sorted and maintained organization of file room.
Pros
Great people
Cons
N/a
I only temped there for a couple of months, could not really tell in a detailed manner how it was
Executive Assistant to CIO (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 17, 2015
Hartford Steam Boiler appeared to be a good company, the employees were nice and the salaries were good. Since was a temporary employee, I didn't learn much about the company.
Pros
Beautiful building, nice people
Cons
Since I was a temporary employee, the parking situation was not good
Quiet atmosphere, nice people
Production Underwriter (Current Employee) –  Sunset Hills, MODecember 30, 2014
An overall good place to work. The management lacks personal connections to their employees. The work load can be very heavy with not enough reward.
Got to see a great amount of country in Ohio and Indiana.
Boiler Inspector, Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 10, 2014
A typical day was spent inspecting all types and sizes of boilers in various parts of the State of Ohio.
Learned quite a bit about boilers in various businesses, schools, hospitals, and churches.
Management and co-workers were distant yet cordial, as a boiler inspector we usually work alone on most jobs except confined space entries when we have a standby person to keep an eye on us for safety reasons.
The hardest part of the job was putting on all the safety gear and crawling through a tight industrial boiler mud drum that still had some water in it.
The most enjoyable part of the job was driving home early through the scenic country on a beautiful day.
Pros
Some control of inspection schedule.
Cons
Computer reporting system was exasperating many times, and many days were too long.
Great company to work for
Temporary Spike Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTOctober 3, 2014
I worked here on a 3 month temp. assignment and it's a great company to work for.
Difficult unit to work in
Production Underwriter-Mechanical Breakdown (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJune 11, 2014
My experience working within the unit I was assigned to was not pleasant. Therefore, I will refrain from providing a review.
Pros
Learning how to underwrite equipment breakdown, virtual file maintenance, work hours, benefits
Cons
Processing items vs. underwriting, management within the unit
Very professional work environment
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 10, 2014
I learned a lot at Hartford Steam Boiler - about managing a project and working as part of a team. It was a great experience for me and I feel that I was able to contribute significantly to the business.
Pros
Very professional, great compensation
Cons
Can't think of any
Great Job
Lead Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 6, 2013
People are very nice, nice area, great work ethic and atmosphere
Strong Company with Enormous Growth Potential
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 22, 2013
Hartford Steam Boiler is an excellent company that can provide exceptional opportunities to increase your value. The company affords its employees the opportunity to advance their careers through critical training and industry exposure. I recommend this company to anyone that desires to work for a credible employer that values its employees.
Pros
if hired to work for hsb, expect to work for the comany for many years.
Stable Company
Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wayne, PAJanuary 17, 2013
A typical day of work consists of reviewing and preparing underwriting information for Production Underwriters.
I learned how to use my prior computer experience towards completing daily assigned tasks in an efficient and effective manner.
Co-workers are pleasant and a good team environment. The hardest part of my job is the commute.
Pros
free lunches occasionally
Cons
overtime required often
Summary of a typical day at HSB
Customer Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJuly 25, 2012
My typical day consisted of steady work with quality checks without the day by my supervisor. I learned many different internal programs that the company had in place for the daily work that needed to be completed. Management was very different then what I was use to, they have some very close outside work relationships that carried into work but with that being said I did not let it affect me nor my work. My co-workers were pleasant and always willing to help others out when needed. Even though I stated what I did about management above, they did however work with many people when it came to having a flexible schedule.
Pros
having the access to learn more about the insurance field with the opportunity to advance.
Cons
long commute and traffic, but adjust schedule accordingly