Hartgrove Hospital Employee Reviews

productive and busy
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 13, 2017
There is a lot of stuff to learn at Hartgrove but the job is worthwhile. The people are awesome to work with. Everyone is always friendly and eager and ready to assist at any given moment.
Responsible Organization
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 6, 2016
Top notch organization, which provides quality care and resources. Great staff and team environment. Mangament works well with staff, and takes feedback well.
Immature Workplace
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 6, 2016
The work Isn't hard nor challenging. Theres no type of employee Advocacy. Administrators feel they aren't equal individuals as other staff members.
Hard Work, but rewarding
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2016
The excellent team of Hartgrove Hospital employees makes work enjoyable, which is much appreciated given the challenges we face serving the mentally ill population.
Get the experience and get out
MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
Hartgrove is a difficult place to work simply due to the nature of the work. Working in inpatient mental health can be depressing and dangerous. The advice I give to new hires is to have an exit strategy as soon as you start. If you're working as a Mental Health Counselor there is little to no upward mobility, however the flexibility of the schedule allows you to pursue an education and still bring in more money than working at McDonald's. I don't regret taking a job at Hartgrove, but I regret not going back to school sooner.
Pros
Flexible schedule, free lunch on the weekends, good coworkers, human service
Cons
Violent Patients, corporate bureaucracy, low pay, little upward mobility
Good start
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 11, 2016
Great first time coding job. I gained alot of experience coding charts, reviewing charts, creating physician queries.
Dont do it
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2016
This is not a company you want to work for, they understaff almost every day and do many illegal things. They hire persons that have no experience in the field and expect them to work the units after only 2 weeks of training. The immediate management called PS's are ok for the most part but the administration is lacking in leadership and in many other areas. The units will be undermanned and you will be handling a hall full of 20 patients while you watch as administration sits and laughs behind the nursing station. The working conditions are unsafe, they will have a unit of 40 patients that are acute with only 6 staff to try and control the unit and persons on it.
Benefits
Cons
To many to list
A highly active but rewarding experience in doing the work that I love
Inpatient Psychology Extern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
This job promotes proactivity, productivity, efficiency, and honorable work ethics. I work approximately 10 hours per work day, but the time moves by quickly, as I am doing something about which I am passionate and there is little time to for the mind to wander. The intensity of the job can be difficult at times and ensuring protocols are effectively followed can be stressful. However, this work is so extremely rewarding and humbling. I have learned so much about myself, others, and the field of psychology.
If you enjoy being overworked, you'll love it here
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2016
Very stressful and fast paced work environment. Most of the employees here act like they hate their jobs. If you love doing a bunch of unnecessary paperwork, you'll do well here. Management is more than ok with overloading the nurses with admissions so that the hospital can make extra money. Also, the schedules at this hospital are terrible. I had no life when I worked here
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits, some coworkers
Cons
Heavy work load, short breaks, high stress, all paper charting
Varies
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
Typical day at work: Varies, depends on patients and staff

What you learn: How to deal with mentally ill patients

Management: Could be better, hospital has great potential

Co-workers: Some good, some bad

Hardest part of job: Dealing with incompetent staff, manic patients

Most enjoyable part of job: Assisting patients with their needs
Pros
Overnight lax, pay is ok
Cons
Unpredictable shifts
Great coworkers
UTILIZATION REVIEW COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2015
The people are what make this place special. Them employees are like family members and make it worth coming back to. Some very exceptional managers/supervisors as well.
internship
Inpatient Therapy Extern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
Ok site for a practicum when completing doctoral or masters level degrees. Vast array of clinical needs. Students get the fast paced opportunity to be exposed to multitudes of psychiatric needs.
Pros
great supervisors (some)
Cons
Ability to be on call.
psychiatric hospital
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2015
I felt like it was an over priced babysitter. The hardest part was working 1:1 with psychotic patients. The best part was facilitating groups in the day room.
High stress, fast paced environment
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2015
High stress, fast paced environment, free lunches, poor security, caring and compassionate MDs, poor communication within and between departments
productive and educational
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2014
A typical day consisted of constantly being on feed, retrieving numerous of medical records. I learned how to do various job in the HIM department, like ROI, transcription, some medical coding. My co-workers were extremely nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet a lot. the enjoyable part of the job was going to the patient floors.
Stepping Stone
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2014
Anyone reading these reviews should easily be able to decipher which ones are honestly being written by current and former employees, and which one's are obviously being inserted by administration to make this place seem like something it isn't; a just place to work. Focus is on profit, periode. There is little to know support, respect or concern for patients or staff. There is a reason why this establishment is constantly, and currently under investigation for situations ranging from improper conduct towards patients to falsifying documents. This proves incompetence from top/administration to bottom/staff. There are some good employees but they are far and few between.
Pros
the patients
Cons
everything else
Hartgrove
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2014
Nice place to work. Must have strong will an endurance to cope there.
A paying job with a Psych degree
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2014
A day as a mental health specialist will vary based on whether you work AM PM or Overnight shifts.
AM and PM were similar in that the entire day is scheduled in advanced. Two "mental health specialists" are responsible for the overseeing the day room and hallway respectively.
If you're in the hallway you're not allowed to sit the entire shift (8.5 hours with a 30 minute break) but you're expected to be able to chart on patients whom you have little to no interaction with sometimes.
Some halls are better to work on than others, there's adults pediatric, pre-adolescents, adolescent boys and adolescent girls.
Plenty of opportunities for overtime but you're expected to work on an as need basis and they bring new hires on as "flex" or "per diem" which means you have to call a hotline NO EARLIER than 4 hours before your shift. Which will mean calling at 5-6am to see if you work at 7am and sometimes seeing that your submitted hours were vetoed or you're not on the unit you requested.
There's little/no room for advancement from the MHS position and most importantly CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) protocol was rarely followed and even if it was, it doesn't protect the staff adequately- it only protects the Hospital from legal liability.
Pros
Opportunities for Overtime
Cons
See Review, there's many.
Toxic Work Environment
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILDecember 13, 2013
Typical day consist off fending off bullies in administration, nursing departments and floor staff. I learned to keep my enemies close. Management decisions are based on MONEY! My coworkers are stressed out and overworked. High turnover exist. Hardest part of the job is dealing with whiney and back stabbing colleagues. The most enjoyable part of the job is not being scheduled to work a shift. Loyal and hardworking nurses BEWARE they chew you up and spit you out at the Grove.
Pros
PTO
Cons
Bullying Atmosphere
very interesting things to learn from this place when you are dealing with teens with behavioral and mental issues.
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2013
A typical day on the clock here, kept you on your toes. Everyone was always helping each other out. We took very good care of our patients, by keeping them safe from others and themselves. I never had a problem out of my managers. They were very accommodating when you needed something from them. The hardest part of the job was to listen to the patients, and hear their heart felt stories during group time. A lot of the patients had been through a lot in their lives, and needed someone to show that they care, and give them a little guidance and hope in their lives. The most enjoyable part of the job, was that when I went home for the day. I know I had made a difference in my patients life. It let me know my hard work paid off.
Pros
Free lunch, going on appointment with the patients, to get a break from work for a little bit.
Cons
when the patients would act out and have to be restrained.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hartgrove Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6