Hartgrove Hospital

Hartgrove Hospital Employer Reviews

Stepping Stone
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2014
Pros: the patients
Cons: everything else
Anyone reading these reviews should easily be able to decipher which ones are honestly being written by current and former employees, and which one's are obviously being inserted by administration to make this place seem like something it isn't; a just place to work. Focus is on profit, periode. There is little to know support, respect or concern for patients or staff. There is a reason why this establishment is constantly, and currently under investigation for situations ranging from improper conduct towards patients to falsifying documents. This proves incompetence from top/administration to bottom/staff. There are some good employees but they are far and few between.
Hartgrove
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2014
Nice place to work. Must have strong will an endurance to cope there.
A paying job with a Psych degree
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2014
Pros: opportunities for overtime
Cons: see review, there's many.
A day as a mental health specialist will vary based on whether you work AM PM or Overnight shifts.
AM and PM were similar in that the entire day is scheduled in advanced. Two "mental health specialists" are responsible for the overseeing the day room and hallway respectively.
If you're in the hallway you're not allowed to sit the entire shift (8.5 hours with a 30 minute break) but you're expected to be able to chart on patients whom you have little to no interaction with sometimes.
Some halls are better to work on than others, there's adults pediatric, pre-adolescents, adolescent boys and adolescent girls.
Plenty of opportunities for overtime but you're expected to work on an as need basis and they bring new hires on as "flex" or "per diem" which means you have to call a hotline NO EARLIER than 4 hours before your shift. Which will mean calling at 5-6am to see if you work at 7am and sometimes seeing that your submitted hours were vetoed or you're not on the unit you requested.
There's little/no room for advancement from the MHS position and most importantly CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) protocol was rarely followed and even if it was, it doesn't protect the staff adequately- it only protects the Hospital from legal liability.
Toxic Work Environment
Charge Nurse (Former Employee), Chicago ILDecember 13, 2013
Pros: pto
Cons: bullying atmosphere
Typical day consist off fending off bullies in administration, nursing departments and floor staff. I learned to keep my enemies close. Management decisions are based on MONEY! My coworkers are stressed out and overworked. High turnover exist. Hardest part of the job is dealing with whiney and back stabbing colleagues. The most enjoyable part of the job is not being scheduled to work a shift. Loyal and hardworking nurses BEWARE they chew you up and spit you out at the Grove.
very interesting things to learn from this place when you are dealing with teens with behavioral and mental issues.
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2013
Pros: free lunch, going on appointment with the patients, to get a break from work for a little bit.
Cons: when the patients would act out and have to be restrained.
A typical day on the clock here, kept you on your toes. Everyone was always helping each other out. We took very good care of our patients, by keeping them safe from others and themselves. I never had a problem out of my managers. They were very accommodating when you needed something from them. The hardest part of the job was to listen to the patients, and hear their heart felt stories during group time. A lot of the patients had been through a lot in their lives, and needed someone to show that they care, and give them a little guidance and hope in their lives. The most enjoyable part of the job, was that when I went home for the day. I know I had made a difference in my patients life. It let me know my hard work paid off.
Friendly and open enviorment
RN (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2013
Hartgrove is a free standing psychiatric hospital, providing excellent care to children, adolescents and adults.
Not the ideal workplace for young professionals
nurse (Former Employee), ilOctober 24, 2013
Pros: free lunch
Cons: hours
Hardest part was reporting to supervisors and managers about problems going on in the work place. Issues are ignored, there are no ethics and employees are undervalued.
Irreplaceable experience
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2013
Pros: being able to tailor my schedule to meet my needs.
Cons: short breaks.
I have gotten the opportunity to work with a wide range of clients, whether it be demographics or presenting symptoms, this position has provided me with a lot of hands on knowledge. I work closely with patients on the unit, ensuring their needs are met to the best of the hospital's ability. I have learned the importance of the statement, "you are only as strong as your weakest link." Working with this specific population, there is always the chance there will be a need for deescalation. A strong team is required to accomplish this smoothly. What I have enjoyed most is getting to know certain clients as well as the difference, no matter how minute, I feel that I have been able to make in some of these individuals lives.
Workplace dedicated to safety and patient care.
Nursing Counselor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 26, 2013
Pros: flexibility, free lunches when feasible
Cons: not enough time to help everyone
I have gained a vast deal of experience in mental health care from a strong supportive staff and continued job training. A typical day at work is energetic and therapeutic. I leave my job everyday with a sense of satisfaction in helping and supporting my patients.
Informative place to work
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 8, 2013
Friendly Psychiatrist, team collaboration, great managment, and skill building environment.
Team working environment
Director of Day Program (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2013
Pros: friendly coworkers, free lunch when census allow
Cons: heavy work load.
A typical day at work involves talking to schools, parents and others referral sources regarding update of their child's progress in the program. As a leader it is great to have employees who work together collaboratively to deescalate patients, help with admissions, discharges, etc.

The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to complete the various tasks required.
Lacks honesty, integrity, diversity and inclusion, ethics and values
Human Resources (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no breaks, no recognition, no room for growth
The most enoyable part of this job was recruitment. The hardest part was confronting senior leadership on areas of discrimination, ethics, values, their mission and vision.
The people are nice
Security Officer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 5, 2012
Pros: just work 6 hr
Cons: need more money
Its a part time job but the time but the tike gos by fast. good people get a lot of help when needed we do get paid on time .
Loved the fast pace, it made the work day go by quickly!
Switchboard Operator/Receptionist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2012
Pros: uniforms, cafeteria, pay, immediate supervisor
Cons: management
This was an extremely busy place once mid-morning hit. The phone never stopped ringing and visitors never stopped rolling in. I loved it though because it made the day go by fast. Everyday you got to meet new and interesting people.

About Hartgrove Hospital

The mission of Hartgrove Behavioral Health System is to provide comprehensive psychiatric health care services in diverse settings – Read more