Hartgrove Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Dont do it
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2016
This is not a company you want to work for, they understaff almost every day and do many illegal things. They hire persons that have no experience in the field and expect them to work the units after only 2 weeks of training. The immediate management called PS's are ok for the most part but the administration is lacking in leadership and in many other areas. The units will be undermanned and you will be handling a hall full of 20 patients while you watch as administration sits and laughs behind the nursing station. The working conditions are unsafe, they will have a unit of 40 patients that are acute with only 6 staff to try and control the unit and persons on it.
Benefits
Cons
To many to list
A highly active but rewarding experience in doing the work that I love
Inpatient Psychology Extern (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2016
This job promotes proactivity, productivity, efficiency, and honorable work ethics. I work approximately 10 hours per work day, but the time moves by quickly, as I am doing something about which I am passionate and there is little time to for the mind to wander. The intensity of the job can be difficult at times and ensuring protocols are effectively followed can be stressful. However, this work is so extremely rewarding and humbling. I have learned so much about myself, others, and the field of psychology.
If you enjoy being overworked, you'll love it here
registered nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2016
Very stressful and fast paced work environment. Most of the employees here act like they hate their jobs. If you love doing a bunch of unnecessary paperwork, you'll do well here. Management is more than ok with overloading the nurses with admissions so that the hospital can make extra money. Also, the schedules at this hospital are terrible. I had no life when I worked here
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits, some coworkers
Cons
Heavy work load, short breaks, high stress, all paper charting
Varies
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2015
Typical day at work: Varies, depends on patients and staff

What you learn: How to deal with mentally ill patients

Management: Could be better, hospital has great potential

Co-workers: Some good, some bad

Hardest part of job: Dealing with incompetent staff, manic patients

Most enjoyable part of job: Assisting patients with their needs
Pros
Overnight lax, pay is ok
Cons
Unpredictable shifts
Great coworkers
UTILIZATION REVIEW COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 26, 2015
The people are what make this place special. Them employees are like family members and make it worth coming back to. Some very exceptional managers/supervisors as well.
internship
Inpatient Therapy Extern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
Ok site for a practicum when completing doctoral or masters level degrees. Vast array of clinical needs. Students get the fast paced opportunity to be exposed to multitudes of psychiatric needs.
Pros
great supervisors (some)
Cons
Ability to be on call.
psychiatric hospital
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2015
I felt like it was an over priced babysitter. The hardest part was working 1:1 with psychotic patients. The best part was facilitating groups in the day room.
High stress, fast paced environment
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2015
High stress, fast paced environment, free lunches, poor security, caring and compassionate MDs, poor communication within and between departments
productive and educational
Internship Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 6, 2014
A typical day consisted of constantly being on feed, retrieving numerous of medical records. I learned how to do various job in the HIM department, like ROI, transcription, some medical coding. My co-workers were extremely nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was being on your feet a lot. the enjoyable part of the job was going to the patient floors.
Stepping Stone
Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 5, 2014
Anyone reading these reviews should easily be able to decipher which ones are honestly being written by current and former employees, and which one's are obviously being inserted by administration to make this place seem like something it isn't; a just place to work. Focus is on profit, periode. There is little to know support, respect or concern for patients or staff. There is a reason why this establishment is constantly, and currently under investigation for situations ranging from improper conduct towards patients to falsifying documents. This proves incompetence from top/administration to bottom/staff. There are some good employees but they are far and few between.
Pros
the patients
Cons
everything else
Hartgrove
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 20, 2014
Nice place to work. Must have strong will an endurance to cope there.
A paying job with a Psych degree
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 4, 2014
A day as a mental health specialist will vary based on whether you work AM PM or Overnight shifts.
AM and PM were similar in that the entire day is scheduled in advanced. Two "mental health specialists" are responsible for the overseeing the day room and hallway respectively.
If you're in the hallway you're not allowed to sit the entire shift (8.5 hours with a 30 minute break) but you're expected to be able to chart on patients whom you have little to no interaction with sometimes.
Some halls are better to work on than others, there's adults pediatric, pre-adolescents, adolescent boys and adolescent girls.
Plenty of opportunities for overtime but you're expected to work on an as need basis and they bring new hires on as "flex" or "per diem" which means you have to call a hotline NO EARLIER than 4 hours before your shift. Which will mean calling at 5-6am to see if you work at 7am and sometimes seeing that your submitted hours were vetoed or you're not on the unit you requested.
There's little/no room for advancement from the MHS position and most importantly CPI (Crisis Prevention Intervention) protocol was rarely followed and even if it was, it doesn't protect the staff adequately- it only protects the Hospital from legal liability.
Pros
opportunities for overtime
Cons
see review, there's many.
Toxic Work Environment
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILDecember 13, 2013
Typical day consist off fending off bullies in administration, nursing departments and floor staff. I learned to keep my enemies close. Management decisions are based on MONEY! My coworkers are stressed out and overworked. High turnover exist. Hardest part of the job is dealing with whiney and back stabbing colleagues. The most enjoyable part of the job is not being scheduled to work a shift. Loyal and hardworking nurses BEWARE they chew you up and spit you out at the Grove.
Pros
pto
Cons
bullying atmosphere
very interesting things to learn from this place when you are dealing with teens with behavioral and mental issues.
Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2013
A typical day on the clock here, kept you on your toes. Everyone was always helping each other out. We took very good care of our patients, by keeping them safe from others and themselves. I never had a problem out of my managers. They were very accommodating when you needed something from them. The hardest part of the job was to listen to the patients, and hear their heart felt stories during group time. A lot of the patients had been through a lot in their lives, and needed someone to show that they care, and give them a little guidance and hope in their lives. The most enjoyable part of the job, was that when I went home for the day. I know I had made a difference in my patients life. It let me know my hard work paid off.
Pros
free lunch, going on appointment with the patients, to get a break from work for a little bit.
Cons
when the patients would act out and have to be restrained.
Friendly and open enviorment
RN (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 9, 2013
Hartgrove is a free standing psychiatric hospital, providing excellent care to children, adolescents and adults.
Not the ideal workplace for young professionals
nurse (Former Employee) –  ilOctober 24, 2013
Hardest part was reporting to supervisors and managers about problems going on in the work place. Issues are ignored, there are no ethics and employees are undervalued.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
hours
Irreplaceable experience
Mental Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 11, 2013
I have gotten the opportunity to work with a wide range of clients, whether it be demographics or presenting symptoms, this position has provided me with a lot of hands on knowledge. I work closely with patients on the unit, ensuring their needs are met to the best of the hospital's ability. I have learned the importance of the statement, "you are only as strong as your weakest link." Working with this specific population, there is always the chance there will be a need for deescalation. A strong team is required to accomplish this smoothly. What I have enjoyed most is getting to know certain clients as well as the difference, no matter how minute, I feel that I have been able to make in some of these individuals lives.
Pros
being able to tailor my schedule to meet my needs.
Cons
short breaks.
Workplace dedicated to safety and patient care.
Nursing Counselor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 26, 2013
I have gained a vast deal of experience in mental health care from a strong supportive staff and continued job training. A typical day at work is energetic and therapeutic. I leave my job everyday with a sense of satisfaction in helping and supporting my patients.
Pros
flexibility, free lunches when feasible
Cons
not enough time to help everyone
Informative place to work
Mental Health Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 8, 2013
Friendly Psychiatrist, team collaboration, great managment, and skill building environment.
Team working environment
Director of Day Program (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 3, 2013
A typical day at work involves talking to schools, parents and others referral sources regarding update of their child's progress in the program. As a leader it is great to have employees who work together collaboratively to deescalate patients, help with admissions, discharges, etc.

The hardest part of the job is not having enough time to complete the various tasks required.
Pros
friendly coworkers, free lunch when census allow
Cons
heavy work load.