Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Employee Reviews in United States

Good Company
Associate (Current Employee) –  QuincySeptember 13, 2015
Great benefits make it difficult to leave this company! Affordable health insurance and generous time off, most departments have great work/home ethics. Management is aggressively watching the bottom line financially-understandable. Again, depending on where you work will drive compensation-my area is not getting much in the way of annual merit increases and my income has not changed much in 5 years...but the benefits and coworkers are great!
Great Company, values it's employees
Sr. Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 14, 2015
I've only worked here a few weeks..... But everyday I see a whole bunch of smiling faces. Everyone is so happy at work, I've never worked somewhere where of course you'd rather be in bed, but completely do not mind being at work. Also with the telecommunicating capabilities, if you weren't an office person you didn't have to be bothered! The food in the cafe is good, and decently priced. Even the cafeteria workers are happy and content with their job. The starting pay is EXCELLENT, and everyone I've spoken to have been promoted at least twice inside of 1 year! I hope I can make HPHC my home for a long time to come.
Pros
lots of financial incentives and rewards, good employee appreciation and recognition, great starting pay rate, room for advancement, on site gym
Cons
location, minor lapses in communication
Great Benefits/ Stressful Work Environment
Senior Member Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MAMarch 14, 2016
Harvard Pilgrim is overall a good company to work for. The pay is decent, and the benefits are great. Working in the company call center, however, became a very physically and emotionally draining experience. There was an extensive 6 week training which was intense, but very informative - the instructors were terrific and truly wanted to help everyone succeed.
Once on the floor, the reality of the job became quite apparent. First of all, you are leashed to your desk by your headset. Every minute of your day is highly monitored. As a newbie this was expected and not so bad, but, as time passed it became more and more difficult to sit all day chained to your station- a ten minute break in the AM, an hour lunch, and a ten minute break in the afternoon.
There were many days, when I felt like the customers' private punching bag. As a Customer Service Associate, we are on the front lines, trying to assist the members with their plans, and all their issues, complaints, and dissatisfaction with the company, and their insurance coverage. When a customer requested to speak with a supervisor, rarely, would one be available to take the call. The Call Center Reps were always having to apologize for computer "glitches" that caused claim processing errors, as well as many other issues.
One major perk is the ability to work from home. Such a time saver in many ways.
Pros
Ability to work from home/ Great benefits
Cons
Short Breaks/ Highly Monitored/ Stressful, high pressure environment
No what I thought
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Quincy, MADecember 9, 2015
The position was not what I thought it would be.
Need to have a good background on health insurance and be able to explain it to members. No face to face interactions with members. Hold high standards of their employees.
Productive Workplace
Senior Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAJanuary 11, 2015
I would have to say that on a typical work day their was a lot of calls!! But their is room for advancement. By the 4 month month I was already boosted up to more pay and another opportunity. The hardest part of the job was MONDAYS since everyone would call for their benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job was having gained friends through the coworkers. Best environment to work for. I WOULD RECOMMEND WORKING HERE!!!
Pros
great cafeteria, good people, awesome workplace and good holiday pay!!
Pharmacy student ambulatory externship
AMBULATORY PHARMACY EXTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 22, 2015
Assisted a team of pharmacists and technicians in a fast paced managed care outpatient setting. Environment was very organized and collaborative.
Member services is a joke
Member services (Current Employee) –  Quincy, maMarch 26, 2013
May as well start at blue cross. They pay $16 an hour to begin and have plenty of opportunity to advance. Hphc member services managers/supervisors only take the ones they like and the rest are on their own. They say it's going to be 50 calls a day - more like 60+. Most supervisors have been here so long they are jaded and love to micromanage. Benefits are ok - but for the awful plans they offer you, may as well go to any company.
Pros
if they like you, you're golden
Cons
fat chance at advancement unless you are out of customer service
productive
DataStage Developer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 7, 2015
Good place to learn
friendly management,
challenging job,
good perks,helping to co-workers,
The most enjoyble part of the job
Relaxed atmosphere, polite staff
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAJuly 15, 2015
The staff is very polite and considerate of one another. Although there are times when issues need to be discussed, we always concluded positively and were able to enjoy the time spent together.
Pros
flexible hours and ability to work independantly
Excellent Employer
Sr Business Analyst, Financial Planning & Analysis (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MANovember 12, 2014
good work/life balance, corporate culture is laid-back, not too cut-throat
Friendly environment
Reinsurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAJuly 24, 2012
It has been awhile since I worked for HPHC but in my last position as Reinsurance Analyst, I investigated and resolved data discrepancies.
The hardest part of my job was that I didn't get a lot of support from Management during the course of the position. My supervisor left shortly after I took the position & I think not having her support really made the new position a lot harder to deal with. Her Boss (Management) was not really available too much so it was hard to get her advice & support.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with in in Employer Reporting. While none of them did Reinsurance, they tried to help me out in any way that they could.
Pros
very low insurance costs
Fun palce to work
MANAGER OF NETWORK SERVICES (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 7, 2015
there was many projects going on at the same time

co-workers had your back

the hardest part was the long hours and calls at night
Pros
able to work with many intelligent people
Cons
traffic jams and over 2 hour commutes
bank teller
High Dollar, outpatient, Member submission, (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 26, 2014
A nice place to work with nice people.. It was not a career. It was great experience. Hardest part of job was dealing with disgruntled customers. Greatest part of the job was dealing with regular customers who you grew to love
Pros
hours. people
Cons
not a career
Innovative health plan
Medical Policy Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wellesley, MAAugust 15, 2012
Excellent, member-focused health plan. Engaged managers and executives in a positive work environment.
PT , OT , ST benifits review
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Quincy MAMay 7, 2012
Process and review provider claims for extended benifits. Contacted providers for futher documents to review medical needs to determin if benifits can appy.
good team work environment, excellent benefits.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAOctober 29, 2013
The company offers good benefits, flexible hours, and good pay rate.
Great place to learn about benefits
Group Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MAAugust 24, 2013
I learned a great deal about how benefits work and are structured.
very good HMO
RN (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIMay 21, 2014
Unfortunately has closed
had good working conditions and good benefits
This is a company that cares about its employees.
Associate Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 27, 2014
Great company to work for. Job environment was the best it could be for the job. It's difficult working in a call center environment.
Pros
fantastic incentives
Cons
difficult working in a call center
Detail oriented administrative and payroll coordinator with over 10 years of experience, with a focus to simplify workload and utilize advance technol
Associate Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MASeptember 30, 2013
Harvard Pilgrim was a fun place to work, environment was relaxed and family oriented. Always looking forward to go to work and interact with everyone and always eager to help.

4.3