Harvard University

Harvard University Employee Reviews

Nice group of people across departments
Assistant Director of Administration (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 27, 2015
Pros: Good atmosphere, nice people
Cons: No direct support for internal job hunting
I worked across every department and I thoroughly enjoyed the staff and faculty and students. In general they were collaborative and supportive. I think the Law School is particularly congenial.
20 words minimum
Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 23, 2015
Tell us about:

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Financial Analyst
2015 - ALM Candidate (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 22, 2015
Financial Controller for the Human Resource Division. Lead day to day business and financial analysis, monthly reporting, and annual budgeting, forecasting, and P&L optimization.
Research project
Faculty research aide (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 17, 2015
It was a very gratifying experience. I learned about something different. The professor that was leading this project was a very approachable and always willing to help.
Wonderful people to work with
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Harvard SquareJune 15, 2015
Pros: Great location
Cons: only short-term termporary position
A typical day involved answering phones, meeting and greeting visitors and guests, handling projects as needed.

I learned about how good I am at taking initiative

The management was fair minded

Most enjoyable part of job - learning new things all the time
Great Benefits for long term tenure
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 10, 2015
Pros: Health Care Benefits are great
Department management is quite average across the board for central administration. Changes occur often to keep work flow positive. Systems are a tad ancient but improvement is in the making. Work/life balance suggestions are widely available. Great EAP services. Harvard University...the way benefits should be everywhere.
great
Senior QA Test Analyst (Former Employee), CambridgeJune 10, 2015
It was great experience working at Harvard. Team is very supportive. Management is great. Overall good learning experience. I was part of their new system implementation in month of june2015
Management lacked consistency and direction
Project Manager (Former Employee), Iselin, NJJune 10, 2015
Pros: compensation
Cons: lack of direction, expectations of management did not match job description
Compensation was adequately good as well as the benefits. The ability to be in the field as a project manager was a definite plus, however, the negatives were upper management lacked consistency and direction. A lot of what I did at the previous job at ABM Janitorial. While I did get the job done, it was challenging feeling like upper management was unreachable for days at a time. This was not HARVARD Univ, it was HARVARD Services Group - a Janitorial outfit.
Associate Researcher (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAJune 4, 2015
Pros: Interdisiplinary
Cons: If you are a woman with a baby, life is hard for you!
It was a great experience to work with lots of wonderful scientists from all around the world.Sky is the limit for all kinds of fun experiments. It is the dream of a scientist!
A great place to work for
Research Fellow (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMay 26, 2015
Pros: Stay close with smart colleagues, learn what's new in the industry
Cons: Long working hours
Harvard provides me a great environment to work and to live. This is a perfect institute to enhance your all-round knowledge and increase your interest in science. Perfect place for young professionals and scholars.
Worked as a neurological tracer
Nuerological Tracer (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 14, 2015
Pros: Free food
It was great being around so many people! These people in the neurobiology department of Harvard are so smart! They know a lot and you just feel really inspired to keep on advancing!
extremely competitive environment
Director of Dissemination (Current Employee), Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Pros: great brand, international recognition
Cons: very competitive and demanding.
Harvard University has a brand that is recognized without the need of introduction. However, that comes with a price:

Harvard is NOT famous for being social

Harvard is NOT famous for being laid back

Harvard is NOT famous for being slightly above average.

Make sure when you come in you do with passion. Ideally, you will live, breath and sleep over your tasks. Ideally, there should be no "clock-out" or weekend away from work.

If these concepts are intimidating, you might be a better fit somewhere else.

Besides that (for some, a problem, for others, an opportunity), great place.
Creative and independent work environment
Teaching Staff, Course Materials, Faculty Aid (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAApril 1, 2015
Pros: Creative and independent environment
Cons: benifits vary according to position
Active and inspiring environment. Lends to creativity. Great opportunity to work with diverse teams and best practices. Excellent resources and support.
labbor
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 25, 2015
good fame and ego
highly competitive environment and different mindset
low pay but very long work hours
if you have children, think before you jump in
Productive work place but overwhelming at times
Field Service Technician (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 12, 2015
I feel that the management could have been a little better. We were understaffed and the amount of work put into our ticket system was overwhelming at times.
Compensation and Benefits aren't consistent with daily work stressors
IT Service Management Analyst (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 10, 2015
Pros: good benefits, good location
Cons: poor management, compensation-to-work/life balance
Harvard has some really good benefits packages and compensation is lower than most other companies, however Harvard has unrealistic expectations for salaried employees. Harvard overtask salaried employees with a full workday of operational duties plus an additional 12-16 hrs/week of project tasks or management to complete. The management are very loyal and hardworking and accept this lack of work life balance as normal and expect that behavior in the employees.

Harvard is easily accessible by public transportation, and parking is really expensive, but Harvard has a significant discount for the T which is really nice. THey also offer significantly discounted education and working there and earning a degree is not bad (for union employees)
Upscale cafe for a high volume college
RA, Compass Group, Sous Chef (Current Employee), Cambridge, MAMarch 8, 2015
Pros: good salary
Cons: work to many hours
This place is very busy. The students an staff expects nothing but exceptional quality and variety of food. There is always a challenge to face every day. Keeping up with the demand of the vegan, gluten free, and food allergies can be a challenge.
Satisfied
Director of the Korean Language Program (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: job satistfaction
Cons: away from home
As the Director of Korean Language Program at Harvard University, I not only teach Korean language but also administer, pla, implement, evaluate, develop Korean language program at Harvard.
I take pride of my job and I enjoyed in working at Harvard
Underworked and bored
Senior Grant Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2015
pros: Harvard has an excellent reputation, which will help you to get your next position. The benefits are great, and the main attraction is that they will pay your tuition for any class you want to take, anywhere. The atmosphere is pretty chill, almost too chill.

Cons: They have too many staff members and not enough work. I feel like there isn't enough to do to keep me interested during the day. Also, advancing is near impossible. I have tried to transfer so that I am not so bored, and HR won't even talk to me. Nobody has any motivation to go beyond the bare minimum because your raise is set by the union: you will get a standard cost of living increase regardless of your performance. There is zero incentive to do well or to try hard, and it shows.
excessivly layed back, great flexablitity, inconsistant workload
Staff Assistant (Former Employee), Boston, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: relativly flexable hours, friendly staff, impressive cultual/scientific hub
Cons: lack of clear instructions/heiarchy
Working for the Harvard Medical School, while slightly confusing at first, due to the clear lack of staff structuring, was a great learning experience. My job consisted of:
Receiving/processing new user equipment forms for the various microscopes in the NeuroImaging Facility
Placing orders received form the various researchers through the HCOMM purchasing system
Training new users on the various scopes – more... in the Facility
The hardest part of the job was managing the time dependent inconsistent work load some days there would be ~2 hrs of work and others I would have to stay in the office for upwards of 2-3 hours after my day had technically ended
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the researchers and leaning about the advancements being made in multiple fields of scientific endeavor – less

1 2 3 4 5