Harvard University Employee Reviews in United States

Great environment to work in
Junior Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 24, 2016
Harvard was an amazing experience and I made connections that will last a life time. Your co-workers are so friendly and always there to support you and lift you up. Everyone works towards the same goals and the passion for what you do is so evident in the work place. It was difficult at times for myself as an artist to work with medical researchers because it took a while to understand the lingo and basis of our goals. Overall, it was wonderful and I don't have many negative things to say.
Reflective and full of learning
Teaching Fellow, (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 22, 2016
Working along side a team of 5 Teaching Fellows in addition to the head of the team, the course organizer, and the executive learning program manager is an experience full of learning for many aspects; preparing each and every detail of the course, the teaching points, and the lessons meanwhile maintaining an open mind for learning and reflecting in every single meeting. This year is my third year joining this part time job, and I keep doing it because I can feel the difference and the improvement every year.
Lack of change
Technical Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 20, 2016
The ability to make improvements or changes at Harvard University is painstakingly slow and management is unwilling to dive into them because they do not want to be held responsible when things don't work out.

The job will always be a secure one while being in the union and the pay will be on par with other companies. The benefits are great if you use them but don't expect much advancement unless you are good with politics and plan to work past the normal hours of business.

The best way to advance is to move between different schools as promoting within is not as common. Many employees have left for better jobs to come back at a higher position.
Pros
Fair pay, great benefits, great location
Cons
Expensive parking, hypocritical management, horrible politics
Assistant Manager Residential Dinning
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 14, 2016
Although the university offers great benefits. The work life balance is not inclusive of working in dining services. For new hires work hours typically include all evening shifts and it is hard to work your way up to mornings.
Amazing work place!
Administrative Assistant (Temporary Hire) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2016
I was a great experience! Everyday was learning new skills that allowed me to advance in my working abilities. Everyone is is willing to help, teach, and answer any questions you may have.
Interesting and Intelligent people to work with.
Experimental Research Machinist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MA 02138May 7, 2016
The work I performed was enlightening and interesting, never dull or mundane. The people were intelligent and interesting to work with. The shop was well organized and well equipped.
Pros
Neat and well organized shop with all up to date equipment.
Cons
No desk top computers.
Very rapid work environment
Field Tech and Deployment/ Refresh Team (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 30, 2016
-Worked off of appointments off google calendar
-Learned a lot of office 365 support skills and deployment skills.
-Co workers was amazing and the work environment was very supportive.
-Hardest part was every day you tend to run out of time , and hardly took any lunch breaks. Very busy environment.
-Most enjoyable part was the network and people I met working in Harvard.
Pros
Great community of peers
Cons
Rarely no lunch breaks
Strong consensus building culture
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 18, 2016
I am currently an Executive Assistant to the Executive Dean and Chief Financial Officer at Harvard Medical School. At HMS, I work with a fantastic team and have been able to see the benefits of a strong consensus building culture.
Best place to work.
Financial Associate I (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 18, 2016
I work in a peaceful place, where all the people around are ready to help when a help is needed. Lots of training are offer every day to attend for you personal development.
Pros
Good opportunities to move to another position
Cons
n/a
a good place to work
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 1, 2016
Harvard University is a good place to work. It provides the employees good health plan. The people there are nice and helpful.

Want to know more about Harvard University?

Ask a question
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Lewes, DEMarch 30, 2016
Great place to work, great co-workers. Owner is genuinely a great person. Very generous fringe benefits.

Innovative and a leader in the field.
Terrible Place to Work
Master's Residence Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 24, 2016
I've worked in two departments at Harvard University and the management in both has been terrible. Find somewhere else to work!
Pros
Free housing and food
Cons
Treated like a slave, horrible, disrespectful management
Productive and conducive work place!
Senior Research Statistician (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 18, 2016
A typical day at work remains very committed and considerably busy. Its a great place to work and contribute at the same time. Most of the people are supportive and help you out-perform than what you expect out of yourself. Management is just average; it may vary from department to department, still the old school.
Co-workers are superb, talented and simply awesome!! I love my co-workers just like the family members. Irrespective of race and religion the work environment is very conducive and optimized to perform to the fullest of your potential. Productive and conducive work place!
Bleeding edge research and yes, ping pong tables too.
Research Resources & Central Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MAMarch 10, 2016
A challenging work environment in a diverse setting, Harvard is a world class institution with honor, compassion, and prestige. I would be there still if it were not for our site closure.
World Class
Central Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Southborough, MAMarch 3, 2016
Learned from the best and willing to share my knowledge and skill at your profit or non-profit facility for many years to come.
Excellent Workplace
Laboratory Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 2, 2016
Excellent workplace with good life/work balance and benefits. Productive working environment with training and advancement opportunities available.
Fun working place, excellent colleagues and manager
Technical Research Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2016
Flexible working environment, very interactive, well organized and managed. Good place to learn and do research. excellent place to make connections.
Exceptional science and brilliant colleagues
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 24, 2016
Self motivation, ambition, competitive drive, project management, and excellent communication skills are required to make the most of the post-doc training.
Great workplace
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 13, 2016
Excellent work/life balance.
People work in a team there.
Respect for employees and respect for each other
Company thrives on taking good care of its employees.
Review
Regulatory Documents Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2016
The company is very flexible with working options. This was very helpful during the time the MBTA was not operating. The staff are very supportive.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
SOPs

4.3