Harvard University Employee Reviews

Intellectually stimulating environment
Visiting Scholar (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 14, 2017
Harvard is the place to go when you enjoy being surrounded by smart people. The intellectual stimulation is definitely a huge plus. The research environment is excellent.
Interesting and dynamic environment
Senior Software Test Engineer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 10, 2017
This was a unique position, The Test Team at Harvard is very fast paced, many small projects all going on at once. Also it was very dynamic, ideas seemed to flow in that environment
good work environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 9, 2017
I learned a lot about cell biology, and the
people I worked with were for the most part
very nice. I worked part time most of the time
I was there and management was very flexible
with my hours.
Great pay
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 7, 2017
It's a great place to work. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who is looking for a company that provides you with amazing opportunities and also the chance to further your education at its extension School. All in all a great place to work.
Intellectually stimulating.
Research Assistant, CREDI Project (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 2, 2017
Collaborative work culture focused on improving quality of ECD resources on an international scale. Management was supportive, well organized and provided insightful feedback on one's performance.
A very stressful position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 1, 2017
A typical day was never knowing where my boss' whims would take him. I learned a lot of science. Management was poor, Working culture could be uncomfortable because clerical help were considered servants, not working in tandem with fellow workers. The hardest part of the job was having to second guess what my boss wanted and being accused of mistakes I didn't make, along with coping with the inflated egos that Harvard seems to breed. The most enjoyable part of the job was the relationships and friendships I was able to form with my coworkers.
Pros
A very intelligent group, learning their science
Cons
The general anxiety created by a very tense atmosphere
It was a thrill to collaborate with very smart people every day
Corporate Controller (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 30, 2017
My job at Harvard was in financial management, and during my tenure I was responsible for the implementation of several enterprise wide computer systems. The work was challenging and fun, and for the most part I was able to obtain the resources needed to do the job.
Pros
working with smart people, autonomy, interesting work
Cons
obtaining consensus from business units required substantial time and effort
productive and competitive work place with excellent staff and leaders
Audio/Video Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 26, 2017
Enjoyed my time working for Harvard. Time here has made me improve significantly as a person and as a worker. In my time here i grew substantially mentally and professionally.
Productive and fun place to work
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 24, 2017
We start sharp at 9.00 am in the morning. This is a great place to work. I got a lot of publications out of this. We also went for academic presentations.
stressful experience
Postdoctoral research fellow (Current Employee) –  West Roxbury, VAOctober 24, 2017
I started working at Harvard about 2 years ago, my work setting was in a basic science lab when I first started there was no one else in the lab and I had very limited research experience so I needed to learn from someone and my PI was always busy. so I learned how to be independent and responsible at the same time, I learned how to work with teams and lead them and teach undergrad students at the same time
I enjoyed doing basic science experiments and waiting patiently for results.
the hardest part is to keep motivated even if you didn't get the desired results.
Pros
flexible work hours, free parking, good work area, available resources
Cons
Bad management, miscommunication
productive
Janitor (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 17, 2017
great environment to work at. there is always work to do so the day goes by fast. work sometimes can be complex but with the right attitude you can get though the job with no problem.
Cons
hard to find parking
Bonne expérience américaine après 2 ans passés là
(Boston, U.S.A.), "Internship" (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, MAOctober 17, 2017
Très bons contacts avec l'encadrement et le personnel. Rien à redire, je n'en garde que de bons souvenirs.
Awesome place to work
Business Process Consultant/Writer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 11, 2017
I loved working for Harvard. The work was challenging and interesting and the people were great to work with. I would definitely recommend them to a friend or family member.
Love the culture at Harvard
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MA 02138October 10, 2017
I love working T Harvard, need more hours per week
I absolutely need more money in order to survive, I hope to get more here but need to also look somewhere else for extra hours and income'
great first job
Academic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 9, 2017
this was a great first job. provided a lot of on the job training opportunities through the center for workplace development. great benefits and pay as well.
Great place to learn
PhD Student (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 4, 2017
I had received some of the best academic and scientific training that I have ever experienced. Some of the best minds in psychology and human biology are here. I highly recommend Harvard if you are looking for research or administrative positions in a high paced environment.
Learn a lot in a short time span
Research Lab Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 3, 2017
I interned for only a month here, but I was able to learn so much more about the heart of research. It was insightful to help the doctorate students with their research and really learn about their mission and goal from it. They were conducting research that could directly influence our every day lives.
Great Place to Work, But...
Course Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 25, 2017
There are a great variety of jobs one can have at Harvard University. There are 11 schools, each one with its own distinct and individual culture and personality. Within each school, office cultures and management can differ wildly.

I enjoyed the colleagues I worked with, and preferred the more intimate atmosphere of a smaller school. Although the general atmosphere is education-related, much of Harvard actually runs like a bureaucracy and a diploma-producing business, which can be frustrating if your values conflict with that mentality.

Managers do not have consistent training, so you can end up in either a negative situation or a positive one, depending on who the manager is. I would recommend to job seekers that they find out a bit about the office culture before making any kind of commitment.

Benefits are great -- pay is probably less than what one would make in business. There is a clerical and technical union, which is helpful for protecting your rights as a non-exempt employee.

Taking courses was a great benefit.
Pros
Benefits, prestige.
Cons
Inconsistent managerial training can make office culture difficult.
Contract Job only
ESOL Teacher - Center for Workplace Development (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 23, 2017
The staff was awesome. The students were so motivated and wonderful. I learned a lot here as a new teacher. I recommend it to anyone who wants to be in a top-notch teaching and learning environment.
Pros
mentors
Cons
only contract work
Toxic workplace
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 22, 2017
The department has current financial problems and trying to sell the entire hospital for $185M, in attempt to get higher insurance pay rate. The management is the main problem and as a result, there is only power and abuse, zero motivation, nor inspiration. Hope the new owners will run a better business.