Harvard University Employee Reviews

Productive office with strong mission
Events and Donor Relations Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 15, 2015
Mission driven organization with a strong commitment to the well being of their employees. Small teams give you a lot of opportunity to take on multiple projects, but no defined promotional structure for career growth.
Professional, Productive, educational
Harvard's Office of the Controller (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 10, 2015
It was a dream work place! I really liked working there. The manager was very nice and treated everyone with respect and high professionalism. I learned a lot about the Harvard Accounts Receivable system. It was a total different ball game but I enjoyed the challenge.
Lessons Learned
Project Manager, Harvard Police Dept (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 10, 2015
Learned how a police department works and how its culture is different from that in either academia or commercially. Was solely responsible for both management and delivery which was challenging and satisfying
Pros
Make my own schedule/day
Cons
Command and control culture, resistant to change
Outstanding research environment
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 4, 2015
Excellent and stimulating working environment.
Salaries could be higher.
Very international.
Not too much time left for extra-work activities
Worked on project for minority women and cancer, developed skills in project proposal, monitoring and evalution
Administrative & Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 1, 2015
Supportive management, worked as a team on daily basis. Was part of writing a project proposal, updating the division's website. keeping track of the division's database.
Cons
Temporary assignment
Ra
RA (Current Employee) –  BostonSeptember 1, 2015
Harvard was a great organization to work for. It furthers you both as an individual and as an employee. What it may lack in pay compared to the private sector it more than makes up for in work life balance.
Great coworkers, horrible supervisors
Staff (Former Employee) –  Law SchoolAugust 14, 2015
I worked at the law school for many years. I found that most of the staff was truly fun to be around. It was a great place to be.

Had it not been for truly horrible supervisors who, while good at being supervisors for the department, were often times downright nasty to their staff.

But if you do manage to find something there, keep your life simple and be a yes man to your boss if you can stomach it. I couldn't. So I left. I don't regret it but I do miss my job and my coworkers. Too bad my boss had to ruin that for me.
Pros
Money, good cafeteria, free colloquium food
Cons
Faculty, HR, supervisors
Productive Work Culture
Program Technology Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 14, 2015
Productive Work Culture in a collaborative environment. Wonderful co-workers and no micro-management and ample flex times. You are treated with respect, and overall a great workplace.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Nil
I enjoy my job
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 12, 2015
I conduct multiple tasks throughout the day from complex scheduling and travel, streamlining office processes, and collaborating with co-workers on various projects. My co-workers and supervisors are supportive and I enjoy coming to work.
Pros
Working with world renowned professors, healthcare, work life balance, free lunches, classes at the Harvard Extension School
Cons
can't think of any
Harvard University is agreat place to work
Senior Sourcing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 29, 2015
Harvard University has great place to work and the management team are great to work for and quality of life is wonderful. The staff members are very cooperative to each other. They were slightly below on their compensation but the $40.00 per course for employees is the best I have ever heard of.
Pros
good management and courses only are 40$ for employees
Cons
All 12 schools run independently
Constant learning experience
Teaching Fellow Data Science (Current Employee) –  RemoteJuly 8, 2015
Learn and share from the brightest young students in the world, MIT and Harvard Alumni. Opportunity to mentor future data scientist and to learn from experience Data Scientist, design and grade homework is a very interesting experience to undestand problems solutions from different points of view.
Excellent place to work.
Adjunct (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 8, 2015
I was given the opportunity to teach and continue my research program due to interest in my Ph.D. work and a little luck.

Everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful, the students were excellent, the pay was well above average. The office was extremely accommodating, giving me precisely the course load I requested to allow me to continue my primary activity of research.
high ranking educational place, I augment my knowledge working with a very well known faculties
Instructor, Department of Psychiatry (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 29, 2015
A peaceful place to work, a great oppurtunity to learn new skills, perfect mannagement, friendly setting, high ranking faculties and co-workers, grant submission is the most stressful part of the job.
Nice group of people across departments
Assistant Director of Administration (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 27, 2015
I worked across every department and I thoroughly enjoyed the staff and faculty and students. In general they were collaborative and supportive. I think the Law School is particularly congenial.
Pros
Good atmosphere, nice people
Cons
No direct support for internal job hunting
20 words minimum
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 23, 2015
Tell us about:

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Senior Financial Analyst
2015 - ALM Candidate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 22, 2015
Financial Controller for the Human Resource Division. Lead day to day business and financial analysis, monthly reporting, and annual budgeting, forecasting, and P&L optimization.
Research project
Faculty research aide (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 17, 2015
It was a very gratifying experience. I learned about something different. The professor that was leading this project was a very approachable and always willing to help.
Wonderful people to work with
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harvard SquareJune 15, 2015
A typical day involved answering phones, meeting and greeting visitors and guests, handling projects as needed.

I learned about how good I am at taking initiative

The management was fair minded

Most enjoyable part of job - learning new things all the time
Pros
Great location
Cons
only short-term termporary position
Great Benefits for long term tenure
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 10, 2015
Department management is quite average across the board for central administration. Changes occur often to keep work flow positive. Systems are a tad ancient but improvement is in the making. Work/life balance suggestions are widely available. Great EAP services. Harvard University...the way benefits should be everywhere.
Pros
Health Care Benefits are great
great
Senior QA Test Analyst (Former Employee) –  CambridgeJune 10, 2015
It was great experience working at Harvard. Team is very supportive. Management is great. Overall good learning experience. I was part of their new system implementation in month of june2015

4.2