Harvard University Employee Reviews

Management lacked consistency and direction
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Iselin, NJJune 10, 2015
Compensation was adequately good as well as the benefits. The ability to be in the field as a project manager was a definite plus, however, the negatives were upper management lacked consistency and direction. A lot of what I did at the previous job at ABM Janitorial. While I did get the job done, it was challenging feeling like upper management was unreachable for days at a time. This was not HARVARD Univ, it was HARVARD Services Group - a Janitorial outfit.
Pros
compensation
Cons
lack of direction, expectations of management did not match job description
Associate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 4, 2015
It was a great experience to work with lots of wonderful scientists from all around the world.Sky is the limit for all kinds of fun experiments. It is the dream of a scientist!
Pros
Interdisiplinary
Cons
If you are a woman with a baby, life is hard for you!
A great place to work for
Research Fellow (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 26, 2015
Harvard provides me a great environment to work and to live. This is a perfect institute to enhance your all-round knowledge and increase your interest in science. Perfect place for young professionals and scholars.
Pros
Stay close with smart colleagues, learn what's new in the industry
Cons
Long working hours
Worked as a neurological tracer
Nuerological Tracer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 14, 2015
It was great being around so many people! These people in the neurobiology department of Harvard are so smart! They know a lot and you just feel really inspired to keep on advancing!
Pros
Free food
extremely competitive environment
Director of Dissemination (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 12, 2015
Harvard University has a brand that is recognized without the need of introduction. However, that comes with a price:

Harvard is NOT famous for being social

Harvard is NOT famous for being laid back

Harvard is NOT famous for being slightly above average.

Make sure when you come in you do with passion. Ideally, you will live, breath and sleep over your tasks. Ideally, there should be no "clock-out" or weekend away from work.

If these concepts are intimidating, you might be a better fit somewhere else.

Besides that (for some, a problem, for others, an opportunity), great place.
Pros
great brand, international recognition
Cons
very competitive and demanding.
Creative and independent work environment
Teaching Staff, Course Materials, Faculty Aid (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 1, 2015
Active and inspiring environment. Lends to creativity. Great opportunity to work with diverse teams and best practices. Excellent resources and support.
Pros
Creative and independent environment
Cons
benifits vary according to position
labbor
Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 25, 2015
good fame and ego
highly competitive environment and different mindset
low pay but very long work hours
if you have children, think before you jump in
Productive work place but overwhelming at times
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 12, 2015
I feel that the management could have been a little better. We were understaffed and the amount of work put into our ticket system was overwhelming at times.
Compensation and Benefits aren't consistent with daily work stressors
IT Service Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 10, 2015
Harvard has some really good benefits packages and compensation is lower than most other companies, however Harvard has unrealistic expectations for salaried employees. Harvard overtask salaried employees with a full workday of operational duties plus an additional 12-16 hrs/week of project tasks or management to complete. The management are very loyal and hardworking and accept this lack of work life balance as normal and expect that behavior in the employees.

Harvard is easily accessible by public transportation, and parking is really expensive, but Harvard has a significant discount for the T which is really nice. THey also offer significantly discounted education and working there and earning a degree is not bad (for union employees)
Pros
good benefits, good location
Cons
poor management, compensation-to-work/life balance
Upscale cafe for a high volume college
RA, Compass Group, Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 8, 2015
This place is very busy. The students an staff expects nothing but exceptional quality and variety of food. There is always a challenge to face every day. Keeping up with the demand of the vegan, gluten free, and food allergies can be a challenge.
Pros
good salary
Cons
work to many hours
Satisfied
Director of the Korean Language Program (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 28, 2015
As the Director of Korean Language Program at Harvard University, I not only teach Korean language but also administer, pla, implement, evaluate, develop Korean language program at Harvard.
I take pride of my job and I enjoyed in working at Harvard
Pros
job satistfaction
Cons
away from home
Underworked and bored
Senior Grant Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 27, 2015
pros: Harvard has an excellent reputation, which will help you to get your next position. The benefits are great, and the main attraction is that they will pay your tuition for any class you want to take, anywhere. The atmosphere is pretty chill, almost too chill.

Cons: They have too many staff members and not enough work. I feel like there isn't enough to do to keep me interested during the day. Also, advancing is near impossible. I have tried to transfer so that I am not so bored, and HR won't even talk to me. Nobody has any motivation to go beyond the bare minimum because your raise is set by the union: you will get a standard cost of living increase regardless of your performance. There is zero incentive to do well or to try hard, and it shows.
excessivly layed back, great flexablitity, inconsistant workload
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 24, 2015
Working for the Harvard Medical School, while slightly confusing at first, due to the clear lack of staff structuring, was a great learning experience. My job consisted of:
Receiving/processing new user equipment forms for the various microscopes in the NeuroImaging Facility
Placing orders received form the various researchers through the HCOMM purchasing system
Training new users on the various scopes in the Facility
The hardest part of the job was managing the time dependent inconsistent work load some days there would be ~2 hrs of work and others I would have to stay in the office for upwards of 2-3 hours after my day had technically ended
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the researchers and leaning about the advancements being made in multiple fields of scientific endeavor
Pros
relativly flexable hours, friendly staff, impressive cultual/scientific hub
Cons
lack of clear instructions/heiarchy
Productive and cultivates creativity
Research Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 19, 2015
A typical day involves making sure all reagents and laboratory supplies are in stock and available to all other lab members. Generally, inventory is taken in the beginning and/or at the end of the day to put in orders for purchasing that day. I've learned how to be independent and to be a strong communicator in order to cultivate an environment of collaboration, within and without the lab. The most difficult part of the job was learning how things work on my own, such as a bioinformatics pipeline. In doing so, I would have a much deeper understanding and be able to write a protocol and instruction manual to provide for the scientific community later on. The most enjoyable part of the job was fixing, optimizing and troubleshooting protocols to make sure others do not run into the same holdups and issues that I encountered.
Pros
collaborative environment
Harvard School of Public Health
IT Support Associate I (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2015
I wanted to clarify that Harvard University is decentralized and so each school usually runs as an individual.

My co-workers are fantastic.

My average support ratio of clients to technician was 400 to 1.

The hardest part of the job was managing all the clients for tier 2 support while handling 15+ hours a week of tier 1 telephones, on top of 3 to 4 technical projects with deadlines.

Management did not provide constructive feedback for improvement or help you manage your time. There was a very heavy, you must thrive in chaos mentality with the expectation of perfection.

Management also promised many things to the group that was never followed through on such as raises, bonuses, training, renovations, etc.

I did not receive a single training for career development that I was given time to actually attend.

Out of the software that we support we were trained or provided training in what I would say is 10% of the software we supported. This caused very inconsistent diagnostics between technicians.

I learned a lot, because we did not really have any technical policy on what we didn't support. Anything that was owned by Harvard was usually given support so a lot of the technicians resolved the problems through ingenuity and self training under pressure, which inadvertently makes you learn a lot.

The most enjoyable and hardest part of the job was interacting with people. You definitely meet a wide variety of people and have to change your communication skills appropriately.
Pros
benefits, 35+ hour work week, next to t
Cons
integrity, training, pay/stress, job growth
Resourceful
Research Fellow and Technician (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 10, 2015
Working here is extremely exciting and interesting. You are able to meet many knowledgeable people. The resource here is sufficient which provides you enough space to be creative. The environment here is competitive as well.
Research Associate
Full-time Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 31, 2015
Overall the workload is pretty light. It is pretty flexible. You can work from home if you'd like, as long as you finish the tasks on time.
Pros
improved soft skills
Cons
some of the tasks are boring
Good Company but low job security
Financial/Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Watertown, MAJanuary 30, 2015
They have a good work environment,but they hire alot of contractors and it is hard to go full time. Doesn't have the security of permanent positions.
Graduate Students
Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJanuary 15, 2015
Good environment for graduate students, but you need to work hard!
Great place to work with exceptional people
Associate (Former Employee) –  Holyoke Center Room 600January 6, 2015
The Office of Sponsored Programs has the best support staff in Harvard. My co-workers are second to none and are always there to lend a hand.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the staff and coming up with answers to tough questions.
I've learned that management is always there to help you whenever they can.
Pros
wonderful mix of terrific people

4.2