Hastings Entertainment

Hastings Entertainment Employee Reviews

A joke
Corporate (Former Employee), Amarillo TXJuly 18, 2015
Pros: The cafe before holidays you leave at 3
Cons: Management, the HR department and pay scale
Hastings is a joke. They have a revolving door of people ,no one sticks around. Their pay is ridiculous not just for corporate employees but the warehouse too. I don't know how those people even survive. You are lucky to get 1% raise. Management doesn't like to teach you anything new because they are all to worried about you taking over their job. So you sit there and do busy work all day. And the worst part is you feel like you are in high school with all the childish gossip. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone ever.
Fun Company depending on your location
General Manager (Current Employee), New york, NYJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Great product and exciting new direction
Cons: Non-competitive wage structure, difficult labor cost constraints
A typical work day is a 10 hour shift that splits time between meeting with department managers to discuss daily goals and objectives, coaching and training, merchandising, payroll/personal paperwork and recruiting/hiring. Overall the company gives store management a fairly high level of autonomy. As the store manager you are ultimately responsible for the bottom line and upkeep of store standards.
I loved my job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Lawton, OKJuly 8, 2015
I loved working here. The people really make the job and my coworkers and managers were great. It helped that I was surrounded by books, movies, and music all day!
sucks
Store Manager (Former Employee), Norman, OKJuly 4, 2015
I really disliked this job and the overall direction of the company and the leadership. Policies and direction were weak and plans from management were scattered.
Hastings Entertainment
Front Counter Team Leader (Assistant Management) (Current Employee), Albuquerque, NMJuly 3, 2015
A great place to work. They take their time to train each staff member and they do it in a way that is positive and encouraging. Corporate really does care about who works with them and that they are taken care of.
Management comes and goes
Front counter team lead closing manager (Current Employee), Grand ISland, NEJuly 3, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: Management comes and goes
Management comes and goes
Good retail environment
Coworkers are friendly
hardest part is dealing with customers whom are unfriendly
easy and enjoyable parts are the regular customers
Good job for self-motivated individuals
Book Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Lawrence, KSJune 30, 2015
Pros: employee discount, product selection
Cons: micromanagement, corporate
List of required duties. I learned how to manage tasks and time as well as how to run the sales floor by myself. Customers were interested in talking about books and offering suggestions.
not recommended for anyone expecting professional management; pay-scale congruent with job expectations; and realistic working conditions
Associate (Former Employee), Kerrville, TexasJune 29, 2015
Many responsibilities; chaotic management style; lack of trust or appreciation for employees who are highly underpaid, underappreciated and overworked. Questionable human resource actions taken daily. Customers increasingly frustrated with service, operations and inventory management of store. Stingy with breaks, yet demanding of time. Criticized for not accomplishing the un-accomplishable. Store operates on as little employees at any given time as possible making for unhappy people both employees and customers. Management/corporate are putting the money in their pockets and not sharing the wealth to those who keep their doors open!
Good management experience
Video Department Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, NEJune 23, 2015
The hardest part of my job is dealing with the constant flow of new movie releases, there is always something new coming out and staying on top of that can be a challenge. I love my coworkers and my store manager.
Assistant Floor Manager
Marketing and sales (Former Employee), Tyler, TXJune 10, 2015
Pros: Easy going environment
Cons: pay cap
Customer Services, Marketing and sales, staffing, Ads , Ordering supplies and equipment, shipping, payroll, money management, supervising employee scheduling. Plan meetings, conference calls and inventory
Fun atmosphere
Books Manager (Current Employee), Richmond, INJune 9, 2015
Pros: Fun atmosphere and great discount.
Cons: Pay rate and coverage.
The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to help the customers find what they are looking for and interacting with people. Every day is different from the next depending on what task need to be completed. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with unforeseen circumstances as they arise. The atmosphere here is laid back and I love the people I work with.
Hastings
Customer Service Associate, Video Associate (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COMay 31, 2015
Pros: Interesting Job Responisbilities, New Experiences
Cons: Aggressive Management, Extremely late work hours (sometimes 11 PM or later)
A typical day at work at Hastings was pretty straight forward, I would either be working the register for the entire shift, or I would be in the Video Department, assisting with organization, stocking and customer service needs. When the need arose, I did assist at the register regularly and I also helped my fellow employees at every possible opportunity. I learned a lot at Hastings about what it means to have good customer service and also about retail in general. The management at Hastings during my employ was terrible due to the then supervisor (no longer employed there) having anger issues. There were a few instances where he threw chairs through walls and he was absolutely NOT a people person. Whenever this person was on shift, you could feel the tension of the entire store sky rocket because everyone was worried about who he was going to take his aggression out on next. To my understanding, after I left Hastings, the then manager was fired within about 6 months due to this behavior. My co-workers were mostly friendly and I enjoyed working with the majority of them, but had a couple of minor issues with specific employees that had records of causing problems in general. I was able to find solutions to all of my problems without needing to involve management however and usually had an overall good experience with my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to handle the aggression of my supervisor. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining the customer service experience and skills needed to work in just about any marked.
Productive and Great Team Workplace
Lifestyle Sales Associate (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKMay 14, 2015
Pros: Discounts, Great Management
I would gladly return to work here if I was still living in the area. It was fun and was constantly learning new things. They had very understanding and helpful management.
Fun if you aare single and like to travel
Fixture Set Manager (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXMay 11, 2015
Pros: Lots of Travel
Cons: No Home time
This was a really great job, just not for a married man. Lots of traveling across the nation. I got to see some amazing places. But this job cost me my marriage.
Not quite sure
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Waxahachie, TXMay 11, 2015
Not to sure it's been awhile since I worked here it was a college part time job. It was fun I enjoyed working in the lifestyles department.
Great Company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Carlsbad, NMMay 6, 2015
Pros: friendly coworkers easy going environment
Cons: none
Fun job and easy going. Different departments available to work in. Get to meet very many new faces every day. Great place to work for the part timer
Hastings Entertainment provided Music, Video and extenisve Book selection
Inventory Control Associate (Former Employee), Kennewick, WAMay 1, 2015
Pros: Great discounts on multiple items
Cons: I was part time on most of time spent working for Hastings Entertainment
I enjoyed my time at Hastings. Being in Inventory Control was a great learning experience. It tied my shipping and receiving training to this job. Great place to work. Not many benefits, they would prefer to keep their employees on part time, as to not provide benefits. Unfortunately the store closed in 2009.
Limited advancement opportunities
MIT (Manager in Training) (Current Employee), Stephenville, TXApril 30, 2015
Pros: Discounts on products
Cons: Management
Good co-workers
Management doesn't train people very well
Forced to sell people subscriptions that are a pain to get rid of.
Good for beginners, not so good for long term.
Inventory Control Manager (Current Employee), Topeka, KSApril 26, 2015
Pros: solid corporate leadership, US based company (TX)
Cons: poor break room, mediocre advancement
I have enjoyed my time at Hastings but it is time to move on. Lack of advancement outside of the store management position (with its requirement availability to move) is lacking. Besides store managers, it is hard to make a career out of it in the leadership positions. A good place for college age employees or people wanting to learn management. Not so good for long term associates.
Front Counter Team Leader/ Jack of all trades (Current Employee), Brownwood, TXApril 9, 2015
Great place to work, worked twice for them and still going. I am glad that they would have me back because it was a great time working with everyone even though most are not there anymore but we know we are always welcomed back.

1 2 3 4 5

About Hastings Entertainment

Hastings Entertainment has it all for a smaller-town Saturday night. The company operates about 135 superstores in nearly 20 Midwestern – Read more

Hastings Entertainment Salaries