Hastings Entertainment

Hastings Entertainment Employer Reviews

Fun place to work. Great People all around.
Go-ship/ Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee), Fort Smih, ARJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: customers and co-workers
Cons: no advancement
At Hastings there was a great deal of people that would come in there looking for something specific and we all would try to assist. No matter which part of the store you were assigned. I learned how to manage an entire department and learned how to instruct groups of people to work as a unit. Our goal was to make sure the customers left satisfied. The hardest part of the job was dealing with technical difficulties because we had an old Linux system and it would constantly just stop working.The thing I enjoyed most was my co-workers, they were a varied and crazy bunch.
You dont want to work here!
Music Associate (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKJanuary 20, 2015
You don't want to work for this company. They treat their employees awful especially at the Muskogee store. Also they love firing people for really ignorant reasons. There were many great workers who got fired or quit because they could not stand working there. Beware! Thumbs way down!
Tough company to work for
ASSISTANT MANAGER/LOSS PREVENTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Spokane, WAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: was too focused on profit and not on customer service
As assistant manager, the day started with planning and prioritizing. I learned time management, prioritizing, basic management skills, and refining customer service skills. Co-workers were good and I developed good relationships with them. The hardest part of the job was workload planning and having to send people home if sales were not up to standards. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I entered into Loss Prevention. I liked the travel and seeing various successful stores and helping unsuccessful stores improve their loss prevention issues.
Good opportunity to learn new things
Data Coordinator (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXJanuary 9, 2015
40 hour plus work week. Running reports, creating reports, creating and editing spreadsheets, Inventory, Deadlines and knoweledgable of the systems is a must. Good atmosphere with good people.
Fun enviroment
Front Counter Team Leader (Former Employee), Bryan, TxJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: great managers and work enviroment
Cons: temp job while going to school
Helped customers find cds, books, vidoes or novelty gifts. Stocked items, cleaned, helped reach sales goals. Cashier, became Team lead which was basically night manager head cashier
Ideals are good, execution is poor.
Manager-in-Training / Store Manager (Former Employee), Brownwood, TXJanuary 1, 2015
With a new owner of the company, many of the ideals remain the same. Unfortunately, the actions from the middle and upper levels are highly disconnected with their people in the stores.
Excellent environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Billings, MTDecember 31, 2014
Pros: welcoming environment and flexible hours
Cons: mostly part time
Hastings cares for their employees very much. managment is easy to work with and most employees are like minded individuals making it a nice place to work. The only detractor is the lack of full-time employment opportunities.
Not a bad job
Video Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waco, TXDecember 16, 2014
Wasn't there very long before I was offered another position somewhere else, but the staff is good to work with and the job is fairly easy
Fun but Productve
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Pittsburg, KSDecember 14, 2014
Pros: discount, atmosphere, fun
Cons: pay
I loved my coworkers when I worked at Hastings. We always had a lot of fun. And you're surrounded by stuff you enjoy - books, cds, movies, video games. The only problem I had was that I worked there for five years and never got a raise. It just stayed at minimum. And they closed our local store down.
A positive working environment
Card Tournament Organizer/Team Member (Current Employee), Saint Joseph, MODecember 7, 2014
Pros: lax management
Cons: communication can be an issue at times
My schedule is built on a day to day basis. I generally show up at 9am and stay until the manager tells me to go home. My co-workers for the most part are a positive group. I wouldn't list any 'hardest part' as my job is pretty easy to work. The tournament organization can be taxing from time to time, however, when Saturday rolls around i'd say looking at all of the payers competing what what is my work is the best part of my job.
Amazing atmosphere with great music playing!
Barista (Former Employee), Cañon City, CONovember 28, 2014
Awesome place to work everyday! Preparing delicious baked goods and delectable drinks for amazing customers! The management is wonderful, as well as the co-workers. Hardest part of the job is walking out the door, because all you want to do is stay, the best part is knowing your coming back tomorrow!
Poor training for MIT program, Poor salary
Assistant Store Manager/ (Former Employee), San Angelo Texas/Norman, OKNovember 25, 2014
Training and support was great in San Angelo Texas where I started my career with Hastings. When I transferred to the Norman store, I was not impressed with the management or level of support for MIT's. Lack of teamwork was an issue throughout the entire store, getting the team to work together and strive for a better standard for the store and the company as a whole was difficult. The hours worked and all the labor put in was not fairly compensated by the home office. I learned many valuable things to further my career in retail management in San Angelo Texas, time management, how to lead and motivate team members, loss prevention, how to look at budgets/profit and loss margins, what to look for in hiring a team member that will be an asset to the store, and many other management skills. The most enjoyable part of working for Hastings was the customer service, and being part of selling entertainment. It was hard not to have fun while you were selling and promoting fun products.
busy work environment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Lake Jackson, TXOctober 15, 2014
Pros: good employee discount
Cons: we were always under staffed
a typical day at work would consist of me talking to and helping customers.
I learned to effectively multi-task talking to and helping customers.
I really enjoyed being able to meet all kinds of new people.
Not much to say. Low hours.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Montrose, COOctober 11, 2014
Cons: low hours, low pay
I only received 10 hours a week. The management was ok though and the stocking job was fine. Just short hours and low low pay.
Met some great people.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Dyersburg, TNOctober 6, 2014
Generally, it was an enjoyable place to work on a store level. Corporate was a nightmare, and our district manager wasn't a friendly person. He generally hated everything we did with the store and blamed people who weren't at risk.
Fun place to work, discounts on video rentals
Video Associate (Former Employee), Video DeptOctober 3, 2014
Pros: good environment, fun staff, great merchandise.
Cons: rotating schedules, less than desired pay.
Really liked the environment, work, and co-workers. Enjoyed the work I was doing, and the people I interacted with on a daily basis. Loved helping customers find what they needed, and the daily tasks I needed to do helped with my knowledge of where to find those things for the customers.The scheduling was difficult with my personal life, and I would have liked the pay to be a little better for the work I put in.
Retail-Video Rental Store
Front Counter Associate (Former Employee), Ada, OKSeptember 16, 2014
I dealt with the cash register most of the time. However, cleaning the area and keeping everything well stocked and tidy was another task of mine. While there, I learned the basics of customer service. Everyone was nice. The hardest part was during busy times when you had to work quickly to help customers. The enjoyable part was during the events such as tournaments.
Ok place to work...
CSA - Cashier/Assisting customers (Current Employee), Longview, TXAugust 25, 2014
Pros: decent discounts
Cons: cleaning up behind associates/people
Its a cool place to work at, especially if entertainment is a big part of your lifestyle. A typical day at Hastings consist of coming in to work assisting customers with there problems. Sometimes they may ask on your take on a product. I learned how to deal with customers and how to find the key problem with their situation and assess my knowledge and intake to find a solution, even if it is not in our store. Management is great! Our store manager is always lively, no matter how bad you feel she will rub some of her excited behavior on you! The hardest part of the job is prepping items we bought from people. Items ranging from 100-1000 movies, books, video games, CDs that have to be prepped and ready to stock before your shift is done. Some associates didn't get the memo, so you may have to pick up the slack whilst doing your job as well. To me the most enjoyable part is the customers expression when you find that movie they have been searching for all there life or having people come in the store asking for you specifically to help them because you get the job done.
Great for part time work
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Bullhead City, AZAugust 19, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: changing managers too often
Management (which changed several times) was always flexible and willing to work with my school schedule.
Entertainment Sales but little room for advancement
Book Department Manager (Former Employee), Tyler, TXAugust 12, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: very little chances for advancement/ very little upper management support
Customer Service
Stocking
Inventory Control
Cash Handling

1 2 3 4 5

About Hastings Entertainment

Hastings Entertainment has it all for a smaller-town Saturday night. The company operates about 135 superstores in nearly 20 Midwestern – Read more