Hastings Entertainment Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work with wonderful coworkers and customers.
Barista/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAJanuary 1, 2017
I miss this job so much. The company may not exist anymore, but some of my best memories were at work or with my coworkers. Us associates got great discounts and wonderful hours. The only thing I didn't like was not getting any benefits as a part time worker, and the only full time positions were Management, Front Counter Team Lead, and backroom. All of which you had to be 21 or the position was already filled by long term employees.

All-in-all, I miss my job every day, and I miss seeing my Hastings family. I miss the job duties, while tedious at times, they made my day perfect.

Hastings was an amazing company, until a new CEO ran it into the ground. RIP Marmaduke
Pros
Associate discount
Cons
Benefits only for full time
It was great! For me...
Department Manager (Lifestyles Department) (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 15, 2016
If you get lucky and are thrown on to one of the best teams I've ever had in retail it's an awesome place to work even if you have to personally toss out criminals.
However, if you don't get that lucky, you're gonna have a bad time. Corporate will not tell you anything about changes in the company, advancement is slow going in most cases and the pay is absolute garbage. Hastings was the worst company I ever worked for but I had the most amazing team of associates and it was the best job I've ever had. I hope you get lucky like I did.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
Bad corporate decisions, scummy criminals and no Loss Prevention, long hours with little pay
Do not consider
Associate (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTJuly 21, 2016
I started work here a very long time ago when it was being built where it is today. I helped build the place, get everything set up for the new store to begin. Sad thing, I was not rehired for the new store. A few years later, I was hired back on with new management. Then all of a sudden, a couple weeks ago, we were told that the store is filing bankruptcy and everyone will lose their jobs in October 2016.
I quit that job just a few days ago, for there were no raises as promised, no advancements, the only raise would be out the door!!
So sorry for those who will be left out in the dark this fall, who have nothing else to find. Work in this freaking town is so hard to come by anymore!! Either you are under qualified or over qualified. You get told by management to go to college and get a degree, owe the financial aid over fifty grand, and go nowhere in the company. Good riddance to Hastings!
Pros
co workers helpful
Cons
No training for new help, no raises besides a raise out the door
Only good so high up
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZJuly 23, 2016
This job was fun - definitely fun - but that's about it.
Co-workers were fun, cool, and we banded together instead of trying to be against each other. Team leads were chill and friendly. Management was sweet as could be and easy to approach.

But if we speak about anyone who worked for Hastings outside of store lines (like district, regional, etc) the whole system was messed up. The company itself was very worried about money and paying their employees as little as possible, they avoided promoting from within, did not offer good (or any) benefits, and everyone but department managers and the store manager was part time.

It made it VERY difficult to make a living.

The employee discount was pretty tight though. $40 books we got for $25, cd's and movies we're about $2-5 dollars off. It definitely made it hard for me to keep my paycheck from going back into the store, but boy did my library look pretty.
Pros
down to earth, friendly store staff
Cons
corporate was AWFUL
Fun, while it lasted.
Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Killeen, TXJanuary 16, 2017
Every day coming into work here was a joy. I liked my coworkers, I loved my hours, and I greatly enjoyed the benefits such as healthcare and store discounts,

Management could have used some serious work, however. Too much autonomy among individual store managers.
Fun place to work with great opportunities for people just getting their career started
Cafe' Manager (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXNovember 18, 2016
This was a wonderful place to work that offered a lot of opportunities to grow into a career within or without the company. Sadly due to poor management and bad circumstances it is no longer open.
Pros
Long breaks, fun work environment
Cons
Poor management
Great Starting Job
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 16, 2016
Hastings Entertainment was an entertainment superstore. The company had a very laid back corporate culture and was generally accommodating to employee needs.
Pros
Great Discounts, Accommodating, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Low pay
While at Hastings...
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Veradale, WAFebruary 9, 2017
On average, a day at Hastings was laid-back, easy-going and handled well. I've learned how to reserve and Special Order products that customers desired, how to work quickly on my feet, and how to locate items for the public. Management could have been better as well as security, but the people were nice and easy to talk to. What I didn't enjoy was the monotonous day-to-day routine of stocking which took up my whole work day. What I did enjoy, however, was packaging items in the back to ready them to be shipped.
Pros
Easy-going, open
Cons
Short breaks, slightly unsanitary
Was the best company I ever worked for
Network Administrator (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 18, 2016
if it weren't for a bankruptcy shutting this wonderful company down, I would have chosen a lifetime career here. Never have I worked for a more exciting place, and an awesome group of people. The Challenges in this network were daily, but they allowed me to grow my skillset and expand my horizons.
Typical day was 8-5, salaried and they were very kind when I had to handle personal matters outside of work (i.e. Dr visits, family emergencies, etc)
Large Windows-based network (server and desktop), with a NIX backbone and databases, Cisco network with F5 application delivery, Netezza database scrubber, and SAN backup to generalize what I had to deal with on the Administration end.
On the desktop support side, was largely Dell desktop and Lenovo laptop environments.

Everyone seemed really happy here - Hastings was a very caritable company and hosted a charity golf tournament every year.

It is truly a shame that this cultural icon is no longer going to be around.
i absolutely LOVED working here.
Barista/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJanuary 6, 2017
The days were productive and fun and very enjoyable.
I learned how to make coffee and the history of coffee.
The management was great and usually treated everyone fairly.
My co-workers were like family. We hung out after work and have many funny stories to tell about our days at the Hardback Café.
The hardest part is always difficult customers who have had a bad day and take it out on you.
The entire job was enjoyable.
Pros
one dollar off drinks and good breaks
An amazing place to experience many things under one roof
Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Current Employee) –  Waco, TXSeptember 21, 2016
On any given day you would help many guests that were looking for specific items and entertainment. I learned how to effectively manage my time and delegate successfully to accomplish any task I was given to perform. Management was always there to lend a suggestive solution or dictate the desired plan going forward with the company. My co workers are some of the greatest assets I could ever imagine. The hardest part of the job was easily not always being able to fulfill the guests desires such as ordering movies, music books etc. But on the othe r side of it was finding a way to get our customers what they thought they'd never find again or was available.
Pros
Discount
Cons
N/A
Quit/resigned due to scheduling issues and the zero-tolerance attendance policy considering their recently announced bankruptcy.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 14, 2016
A typical day at work was micro-managing over 30 associate and ensuring corporate instructions were followed to a tee and in a timely manner.

I had the greatest and most dependable co-workers I've ever worked with.

I leaned a lot; especially considering that I was hired on as a cashier and ended my career there as an assistant manager; how to correctly and professionally interact with my co-workers, analyzing profit and loss reports that we received monthly that showed us where we're at as far as sales, labor and store-level spending. Unfortunately I learned the negative side of management as well such as following up with internal turmoil, unmotivated associates and eventually termination,

The hardest part of the job was keeping up to speed with corporate e-mails/instructions that we received daily, which were often unforeseen and required a lot of adaptation and on-the-fly solutions.

The most enjoyable part of my job was by far the associates I worked with and the regulars that would come in and shop all the time; you began to know them by name and we were always more than willing to assist them the best we could.
Pros
Associate discounts, a family-oriented team of co-workers, a (for the most part) relaxed enviornment.
Cons
Poor 401k compensation, little transparency between corporate and the stores, misinformation between e-mail specials and signage actually on the sales floor.
Better management would have made the job great.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OK 73401February 7, 2017
Working in retail is rough. But your coworkers and management can make it great. While at Hastings, I met people who remain my friends to this day. Unfortunately, regional and corporate management ruined the job and, in my opinion, is the reason the company is out of business today. Too bad, because the merchandise was amazing and I loved being there.
Pros
Coworkers, merchandise
Cons
Regional and Corporate Management
great job, company has gone bankrupt
Guest Service Associate, I (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZJanuary 19, 2017
first job I had that I made past a year. I had fun and many opportunities to grow. I learned a lot and trained supervisors that have gone off to different jobs. the corporate offices since I left bought 4 different failing companies that brought them down and now out of business.
Pros
had a few little fringe benefits that due to bad acquisitions was stopped
Cons
bought bad companies and went bankrupt due to it
Great Environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MO 64506January 16, 2017
The job was enjoyable. The customers were friendly and regulars. It was nice being able to develop relationships with the customers. The coworkers were kind but not the most reliable. I worked at Hastings the year prior to their closing so I didn't get to experience Hastings at their prime. It's a shame, I felt like it could have been a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Customers, atmosphere, discount
Cons
Pay, no room for advancement
Productive and enjoyable work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roswell, NMJanuary 7, 2017
Fun work environment, although the company closed its doors the end of 2016, the company managed to keep as many open as long as possible. Upper management didn't seem too interested in the care of their employees, but each individual store had a strong connection and family-friendly environment with each other.
Pros
Friendly cus6customer service
Cons
Company closed
Not as good as expected
Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXJanuary 4, 2017
After an interesting interview process I encountered a deeply flawed management team with no training. The store was constantly understaffed, which led to a bad experience for myself, and my customers. I always aim to give my customers the best possible experience. This should have been one of my best job experiences given my love of movies, music, comics, and literature.
Great way to build customer service skills.
Book Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSDecember 5, 2016
While Hastings Entertainment is no longer a living company, it did its best to foster a sense of community with its workers. Management tended to care about non-sales metrics (like pre-orders or magazine subscriptions) more than actual sales, which may have contributed to the company's demise.
Fun Workplace
Barista/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LANovember 9, 2016
Very friendly and hardworking staff, enjoyable work environment, and strong management team. The most difficult part was dealing with customers, but other than that, a great place to work.
Good place to work, will be sorely missed
Associate (Current Employee) –  Kirksville, MOAugust 5, 2016
This job was my first "real" job, and I have grown a lot. Because of the high volume of work, especially around the holidays and lately because of the news of our closing, I have learned how to manage my time effectively and keep customers happy. My co-workers are great and the management do the best they can to make everyone happy while also providing good service to customers. The hardest part of this job will be seeing the store close because I have grown up so much because of the store. The best part is the people that I've met and made lasting relationships with.
Pros
Employee discount, flexible hours
Cons
Wage, closing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hastings Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8