Hastings Entertainment Employee Reviews

fun place to worrk
counter team lead (Current Employee) –  Hobbs, NMJanuary 18, 2016
come in count safe drawer give keys to appropriate associte and handle front counter duties checking in movie rentals only seeking another employer because they wont move me to full time
Pros
discounted movie
Cons
not a full time employer
This is a fun place to work for the younger crowd
Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 5, 2016
I worked here for two years. I enjoyed every minute of it. There was always something new to learn, the people I worked with were fantastic, and advancement opportunities were always there. The hardest part of my job was having to try and help the customers who were very upset and could not be reasoned with, but I made it through with a smile on my face.
Pros
People, advancement, community
Cons
Great place to work, awful pay
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Ada, OKJanuary 5, 2016
The pay is just awful. Minimum wage awful. Managers make less than $10 and hour. That being said, there are discounts on almost everything in the store for employees, the stuff being sold is cool and I liked almost all of my coworkers.
Pros
Store discount, first dibs on product coming into the store
Cons
Terrible pay, unreliable hours
Hastings Entertainment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Angelo, TXDecember 20, 2015
This began as an amazing company to work for; however, due to a drastic decline in the economy and this being a retail business, the company seems to be steadily decreasing in size and promotion availability. The drastic labor cuts that are continuous create a very difficult environment to succeed in.
Not a real job for the pay.
CSA/Video Manager (Former Employee) –  Montrose, CODecember 16, 2015
As a CSA you get part-time minimum wage, which is okay if you get social security, live with your parents or have a rich spouse... but if you want a career, look elsewhere. I started out as a seasonal CSA and moved into becoming a regular. When I had a kid I needed to get more pay, and all I got was a 10% raise over minimum wage as a manager... luckily I got full-time (don't get tricked, you can't work over 40 hours to actually get the job done, and don't expect anyone working under you to do anything.) If you prioritize tasks you can do fine, but due to the abysmally low pay it's barely worth it.
The only reason I accepted the job was due to the horrible job market around here, and if you need a real job, look elsewhere... they would rather hire 2 kids at minimum wage to do half the job than hire a hard working adult for less than 2x minimum wage to get the job done and then some.
Pros
Easy job for customer service associates, can make good friends
Cons
Never get pushed into management, low pay
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Counter Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Seguin, TXDecember 14, 2015
A typical day at Hastings is mainly helping customers find items they are looking for, and figuring out any issues they may have with their accounts. Explaining store policies is also a very common thing that happens throughout the day. I've learned a lot about customer interaction and cash handling. The Store Manager is great, he knows how to make work fun and enjoyable, and he also knows how to be strict which is good. All of the management there are pretty helpful whenever associates have questions, and prefer you to ask questions instead doing something on your own without knowing how to do it and messing up. All of my co-workers are really friendly and are easy to talk to. The hardest part of the job is dealing with irate customers that have a product that didn't work, and get even more angry with our stores return policies and start to act extremely rude towards you when you're only doing your job. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers finding products, fixing problems for them, and watching them walk out of the store with a smile on their face!
Pros
Good in store discounts, good management, friendly co-workers
Cons
Poor pay (minimum wage), part time can only get 28 hours max
Productive and Fun work environment
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALNovember 30, 2015
I loved the customer base
We sold amazing and fun products
Every employee that I worked with is a close friend of mine to this day
Great holiday pay
Centrally located
Always had fun no matter how hectic days got
call center customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXNovember 14, 2015
fun place to work and talk about ther new items as Hastings is an entertainment store. Newest movies to games and other items. Good place to learn of other products from experiences of the customers calling in.
The management doesn't care about their employees
Barista (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXNovember 2, 2015
Low pay for tons of work, just to get in trouble for going over on hours. The management doesn't care about the employees at all.
No Class
going to be former (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXOctober 16, 2015
Hastings has gone down hill in the past 3 months. New management is terrible and disrespectful to employees. Threatens them and even takes away time that they have worked. When there is over 13 employees (managers) that quit in 3 months after being there over year each should tell you something
Pros
was a close family
Cons
everything
Productive and Fun Workplace
Video Associate (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAOctober 13, 2015
Get to meet people from all walks of life.
The staff is friendly and understanding.
The workload was never unrealistic.
Overall, great place to work.
Pros
Conveniently located
Cons
Full time limited to managers
Hastings Entertaiment
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMOctober 12, 2015
Working the cafe i brew different blends of coffee in the morning as well as make a new pot every 2 hours. I also bake different pastries as well as prepare different beverages for my customers. I had to learn to work in a fast paced environment while multi-tasking, having to prepare 5 or more drinks at a time. Management was decent they occasionally would ask me to work other departments. The hardest part was working rush hour during happy hour, preparing a lot a drinks by yourself was very challenging. The most enjoyable part was seeing my customers happy from something i created out of water, espresso and milk.
Hastings Entertainment Survey
Promotions Manager (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXOctober 6, 2015
Working at the Hastings Entertainment Corporate office has a challenging yet fun atmosphere.Supportive management with good work/life balance.
culture and lifestyles
cafe manager (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKSeptember 16, 2015
Hasting's Entertainment is a well balanced workplace environment. They correspond with new and lively entertainment needs of the general public with a wide range of media: video, music, books, and gaming.
Pros
discount on merchendise
Cons
communication is vauge at best.
Positive and Fun Work Environment
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMSeptember 14, 2015
I loved the discount, management, the skills I learned. Overall an excellent experience. They teach you on an older computer system which was fun to learn.
Good first job, but not somewhere you want to be long term
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, KYAugust 28, 2015
Hasting's is a good place to work for your first job, but it is not somewhere you want to be long term, mostly because of corporate issues.
A joke
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo TXJuly 18, 2015
Hastings is a joke. They have a revolving door of people ,no one sticks around. Their pay is ridiculous not just for corporate employees but the warehouse too. I don't know how those people even survive. You are lucky to get 1% raise. Management doesn't like to teach you anything new because they are all to worried about you taking over their job. So you sit there and do busy work all day. And the worst part is you feel like you are in high school with all the childish gossip. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone ever.
Pros
The cafe before holidays you leave at 3
Cons
Management, the HR department and pay scale
Fun Company depending on your location
General Manager (Current Employee) –  New york, NYJuly 10, 2015
A typical work day is a 10 hour shift that splits time between meeting with department managers to discuss daily goals and objectives, coaching and training, merchandising, payroll/personal paperwork and recruiting/hiring. Overall the company gives store management a fairly high level of autonomy. As the store manager you are ultimately responsible for the bottom line and upkeep of store standards.
Pros
Great product and exciting new direction
Cons
Non-competitive wage structure, difficult labor cost constraints
I loved my job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJuly 8, 2015
I loved working here. The people really make the job and my coworkers and managers were great. It helped that I was surrounded by books, movies, and music all day!
sucks
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJuly 4, 2015
I really disliked this job and the overall direction of the company and the leadership. Policies and direction were weak and plans from management were scattered.