Hastings Entertainment Employee Reviews in United States

Fast-paced, fun and productive work environment.
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 10, 2016
This job is incredibly fun,your co-workers often share the same kind of hobbies. An average day at work usually consists of moving around a lot, helping customers with questions, and often carrying items to the respected departments of the store (books, video, etc). Everyone is usually very friendly and works hard to help the customer get what they are looking for at the best price. Management is wonderful, they listen to any concerns you have and often will suggest ways to make any problems more manageable for yourself. The hardest part of the job would have to be the customer service sometimes, customers can be very difficult and angry. If we do not have exactly the item they are looking for or when something goes wrong and we don't catch it at the right time. My most enjoyable part is also the customer service, I love watching customers leave happily and thank us for everything we do. The only thing I have to say is Job Security is definitely a scary problem in the job. There are many changes going on and smaller management titles aren't being guaranteed any position if the upcoming changes fall into place.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, flexible hours, great management
Cons
Benefits, Job Security, Pay
Not a real job for the pay.
CSA/Video Manager (Former Employee) –  Montrose, CODecember 16, 2015
As a CSA you get part-time minimum wage, which is okay if you get social security, live with your parents or have a rich spouse... but if you want a career, look elsewhere. I started out as a seasonal CSA and moved into becoming a regular. When I had a kid I needed to get more pay, and all I got was a 10% raise over minimum wage as a manager... luckily I got full-time (don't get tricked, you can't work over 40 hours to actually get the job done, and don't expect anyone working under you to do anything.) If you prioritize tasks you can do fine, but due to the abysmally low pay it's barely worth it.
The only reason I accepted the job was due to the horrible job market around here, and if you need a real job, look elsewhere... they would rather hire 2 kids at minimum wage to do half the job than hire a hard working adult for less than 2x minimum wage to get the job done and then some.
Pros
Easy job for customer service associates, can make good friends
Cons
Never get pushed into management, low pay
Fun place to work with it's problems
Counter Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Conway, ARFebruary 5, 2016
I enjoyed working there most of the week. Hours are kept below 30 for part time employees and below 40 for full-time. The only full-time positions are upper management. No overtime for anyone that I interacted with. Minimum wage with raises usually below a quarter. People are what you would expect. Fun people that are into pop culture and almost always something that's excited about what you're excited about.
Productive and fun enviroment
CUSTOMER SERVICE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXFebruary 22, 2016
It is a fast paced environment, where I learnt how to handle customers, associates, and my boss. The hardest part of the job is the inability for a raise until you have been there a year. If they would allow for raises earlier I would not be leaving. It is fun to hang out with all of the others and provide what the customers love.
Cons
Inability for a raise until after a year
A joke
Corporate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo TXJuly 18, 2015
Hastings is a joke. They have a revolving door of people ,no one sticks around. Their pay is ridiculous not just for corporate employees but the warehouse too. I don't know how those people even survive. You are lucky to get 1% raise. Management doesn't like to teach you anything new because they are all to worried about you taking over their job. So you sit there and do busy work all day. And the worst part is you feel like you are in high school with all the childish gossip. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone ever.
Pros
The cafe before holidays you leave at 3
Cons
Management, the HR department and pay scale
Great in-store staff with poor corporate communication/support
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 10, 2016
The staff is very knowledgeable and passionate about product making for a fun environment with customers, but the corporate team was incredibly lacking in support for new sales initiatives/programs and very poor at responding to inquiries in a timely manner.

This position has taught me much in managing different personality types and building a team with people that otherwise may never speak to one another. Conflict management has been a big focus.

My favorite parts of the job have been the moments when I get to step out of the office and into the backroom to help receive/return product or process our online orders for delivery. The backroom staff seldom works with other associates so I feel it was important to be back there from time to time to help incorporate them into the team atmosphere.
Extremely hectic environment with lack of budget to provide ultimate customer service
Team Leader/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kerrville, TXJune 19, 2015
Store Manager very nice; however, corporate expectations not congruent with real-world environment and working conditions. Majority of co-workers are part of alcohol and drug recovery program and are therefore required to have a job while living under program regulations which leads to poor skill sets and attitudes. Corporate mentality is to run a "champagne service" on a "beer budget". Most difficult par of job is maintaining management objectives with lack of work force to perform to their expectations creating tremendous stress and lacking in sense of accomplishment; and, very little training for the many job requirements that are expected to be performed.
Pros
Nice Manager
Cons
Job Responsibility not congruent with pay, not enough work force to perform to corporate expectations, breaks are few and far-between, no benefits, very hectic working conditions, very little training
Do not consider
Associate (Former Employee) –  Great Falls, MTJuly 21, 2016
I started work here a very long time ago when it was being built where it is today. I helped build the place, get everything set up for the new store to begin. Sad thing, I was not rehired for the new store. A few years later, I was hired back on with new management. Then all of a sudden, a couple weeks ago, we were told that the store is filing bankruptcy and everyone will lose their jobs in October 2016.
I quit that job just a few days ago, for there were no raises as promised, no advancements, the only raise would be out the door!!
So sorry for those who will be left out in the dark this fall, who have nothing else to find. Work in this freaking town is so hard to come by anymore!! Either you are under qualified or over qualified. You get told by management to go to college and get a degree, owe the financial aid over fifty grand, and go nowhere in the company. Good riddance to Hastings!
Pros
co workers helpful
Cons
No training for new help, no raises besides a raise out the door
Excellent Entry Level Job
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 7, 2016
This was a great job for people looking to have more than one job. Has been one of my favorite jobs. A typical day was low-stress and yet very productive. For floor associates, a typical day included working with customers and stocking products. For Cashiers, Low stress cash and card P.O.S. system and re-packaging used products. The manager at the store I worked at went above and beyond the call of duty to make the employees day as easy as possible but still able to accomplish. Was very kind but was still an excellent boss figure. Hardest part of the job was, like most customer service heavy jobs, dealing with customers that were less than friendly.
Pros
Very low-stress environment for entry level positions
Cons
low pay-rate and low hours
Where happiness dies.
Book manager (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJuly 21, 2016
This is by far, the worst job I've ever had in my life. I worked at Hastings for 3 1/2 years and in that time, our store went through five general managers. The turnover rate is ridiculous, pay is sorry, and floor managers are nothing more than full time associates expected to do all the work that the part timers don't care to do... Because hey, they're just part time. I've never worked in such a toxic environment caused by the vicious cycle of unsatisfied customers and disgruntled employees. Customers get the impression that the staff is worthless and wont help, when in reality they are spread so thin, it's impossible to keep up with demands and deliver excellence. Corporate cuts cost the easy way (with labor) instead of investing in their employees to ensure quality service. It's disgusting. I believe this job is perfect for after schoolers. It will teach them about hardships in life and remind them why education is so important... To avoid ending up at jobs like this one!
Pros
A great example of why kids should stay in school
Cons
Borderline ABUSIVE to the soul.
It was an equivalent of an adult candy store
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMApril 13, 2016
I loved this job, oh boy did I love it. It was a retail setting with everything I loved, music, movies, games, books, and coffee. I was responsible for over 30 employees. I made the schedules, submitted pay roll, and was responsible for every customer complaint, compliment, or concern. I loved seeing all my regulars and building rapport with our customer base. When I finished my MIT training in Wenatchee, WA they shipped my family down to Alamogordo, NM. Here it was a totally different atmosphere. I do not feel like they prepared me for what was to come in this store. I didn't even get to visit before we moved here. I learned a lot about myself as a boss and an employee. I would never have asked my crew to do something I wasn't willing to do myself. I found that even if things do not work out the way you expect, when I look back now, I know in my heart I gave it all I had.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Schedule was grueling, we were on salary required to work a minimum of 45 hours a week
excellent
Video/Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAApril 12, 2016
management did an outstanding job getting the team to feel like they belonged to one another. the atmosphere felt more like a home than it did a job, credit to the fact that we cared about one another's efforts, even if they were failing. leadership took responsibility for training employees at a hands on level. working for this company was entertaining, there's no other way to put it. the job was fun. it wasn't all play. I took part in janitorial duties like; sweeping and moping floors, cleaning the restrooms, emptying trash cans, cleaning the parking lot, and organizing the video files. due to circumstances beyond the teams control, including local management, the company chose to close the store. even though our team had gone above and beyond and they acknowledged the teams great effort that year. however, it wasn't enough to save the store. I would absolutely recommend this place as an employer to anyone willing to learn and enjoy themselves at the same time.
Pros
great target market
Cons
the store closed
Lots of opportunities to learn but no room to promote
Front counter team lead and barista (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJanuary 26, 2016
After over a year of working for company, the only way to move up is if someone quits or gets fired. They are drastically cutting p/t hours. Most associates are only gettin 1 shift a week. Don't waste your time.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unreliable hours and poor management
Great co-workers, used to be a great company
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Harrisville, UTMay 16, 2016
I used to love my job. The people that work there are awesome and that's the reason I stayed there as long as I did. It is easy to get a day off if you need it and they are very flexible. They were going to restructure the company and cut my pay by over $5 an hour. They decided to put it off so who knows when or if it will happen. I'm not going to stick around to find out. I'm sad to leave the people but not sad to leave a company who will do that to you.
Pros
People, flexibility.
Cons
No loyalty to employees on a corporate level
Upbeat atmosphere with diverse coworkers and guests
Cafe Manager and Head Barista (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TX 79606June 10, 2016
A busy atmosphere with new people to meet everyday. Learning department management required a lot of initiative on your own part, but was also very self rewarding in my own department. Had a lot of regulars that I knew by name, and it was always fun answering questions for new cafe guests.
Pros
Upbeat Atmosphere, very fun managing cafe
Cons
Always training new people, so many good drinks with a very small discount
hastings...
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond, INMay 14, 2016
The hastings in Richmond Indiana is terrible. The store manager has unrealistic expectations and does absolutely nothing. Hands down the most immature woman I've ever met. Customers don't matter all the company cares about is cutting cost. If you work register it feels more like your working at a pawn shop because they take used product and half of it is stolen. I didn't feel good about my job and most customers left upset.
Pros
the discount
Cons
terrible store manager
No Job Security
Customer Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 10, 2015
I worked at the Hasting in Grand Junction, CO for about two months. While I worked at the Grand Junction Store I experienced the training in the form of none. I was hired as CTL on my first day they asked me to do a bank run without any prior information or training. I didn't learn how to use the cash registers. I asked on several occasion for training with no response given to me. The store manger told me that all the training I needed was provided in my orientation. Which I thought was amusing because I didn't have an orientation. After two weeks of asking for training they demoted and cut my pay and hours. three and half weeks after that I revived a phone call from the store manger, in that phone call I was let go without any reason given to me.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Lack of training, poor management
This is a fun place to work for the younger crowd
Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 5, 2016
I worked here for two years. I enjoyed every minute of it. There was always something new to learn, the people I worked with were fantastic, and advancement opportunities were always there. The hardest part of my job was having to try and help the customers who were very upset and could not be reasoned with, but I made it through with a smile on my face.
Pros
People, advancement, community
Cons
Productive and fun work place that keeps you on your toes!
Video/Lifestyles Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sherman, TXJune 11, 2016
A fast paced environment which is customer focused but also is open to merchandising possibilities, task oriented projects with no supervision and to delegate other projects and tasks to other associates when needed.
Pros
Always busy with little down time and able to remerchandise whenever necessary
Cons
Not enough hours available
Great temporary job to get knowledge about multiple areas of sales
Lifestyles Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Sierra Vista, AZMay 11, 2016
I learned a lot about team work and communiation. Most days included merchendising various fixtures and stocking shipment. Along with taking back product for store credit or cash. I held game tournaments and ran them myself. Was crossed trained between all the departments. My co-workers were the best, very friendly and helpful.

2.6