Hastings Mutual Insurance Company

Hastings Mutual Insurance Company Employee Reviews in United States

Typical Claims Department in a Midwest Insurance Company.
Multi-Line Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  404 E Woodlawn, Hastings, MIMarch 11, 2016
I enjoyed many of the people I worked with. This position opened opportunities for me to work with an Arson Investigator and gain a great deal of experience in this part of claims adjusting. I also managed a very large territory and worked with the largest storm & wind catastrophe in the history of my territory. Hastings Mutual is one of the largest farm writers in the state of Michigan and many of those farms were in my territory. I settled very large dairy, farm element and cat losses during my employ in this position.
Pros
Very nice people to work with.
Cons
Management's attitude towards paying claims.
Good workplace and friendly atmosphere.
Medical Claims Technician (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIMay 20, 2015
I liked working at Hastings Mutual. Many of my co-workers were rather stuffy, and long time employees who were very set in their ways. Lots of turn over in the claims department within the last year or so have had people on edge. A large number of supervisors in various areas of the claims department have recently retired or found other employment, so there is uncertainty as well as opportunity in the company. All in all it's a comfortable place to work, and the small town atmosphere is great.
Pros
Excellent on site cafeteria, free coffee, hot tea, iced tea and Crystal Light, on site fitness center, company sponsored weight loss and fitness classes
Cons
Small town has limited salary for most lower level employees.
Great balance of work and life
Complex Casualty Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIJune 10, 2014
Company very stable and dedicated to employees. Has advancement opp.
Was a good place to work...
Claims (Former Employee) –  Hastings, MIFebruary 8, 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed my job until new management and VP's came in and switched everything up. You are told they want to retain their employees and there is room for advancement but that is a line of crock. They already know who they want for the opening and they make you feel like a fool, they will bring a hoard of upper management people into the company from out of state or another big company and switch the HMIC culture and run things differently. The environment is toxic and your job really isn't secure anymore. That company is all about who you know and not what you know.
Pros
good friendships with co-workers
Cons
healthcare sucks, absolutely no communication from upper management, be prepared for lots of drama & you will feel like you are back in high school
Laid back but hard to move up within the company depending on your field
Electronic Documents Processor (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIJune 1, 2012
It's mostly who you know not what you know. People can be friendly but some senior members can be major micromanagers and even depending on your gender, this can become a problem. Lots of thoughtless dull work
Successful insurance company with good work environment
Premium Audit Processor (Current Employee) –  Hastings, MIApril 24, 2012
Great work environment, co workers easy to work with, full cafeteria on site, insurance courses taught in house.
No rewards for long term employees
Anom. (Former Employee) –  Hastings MIJanuary 20, 2012
Long term employees passed over for multiple promotions. Senior management have their favorites.
Pros
some great folks work there.
Cons
not of those great folks are in management.

4.3