Hastings Water Works Employee Reviews in United States

Hastings Water Works, a Work in Progress
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHMarch 17, 2016
Working for a lifeguard company catering to multiple pool facilities can be rewarding when the company management adequately introduces lifeguards new to managing pools across a region of client facilities.

However, when work began at Hastings, the first week largely involved lengthy calls to the supervisor and upper management in an attempt to learn to operate equipment not taught prior to employment. (I had not lifeguarded at a pool before, and even after indicating as such, on site training was rather minimal.)

Working between multiple pools also introduced an array of facility needs that sometimes did not translate to other facilities. One pool would need cleaning every other day while another would require cleaning once a week or perhaps every day, based on client needs and differences in pool structure and maintenance. However, most of the lifeguard-oriented maintenance was reasonably achievable while affording enough time to prioritize patron safety.

Many of the facilities are single-lifeguard facilities while others may or may not include overlapping shifts. Unfortunately, the chance to learn from other lifeguards was uncommon and usually brief.

Shifts varied based on lifeguard availability, but many days roughly involved six hour shifts. Unfortunately, break times do not always reflect the company "standard". Some facilities set their own pool hours and availability.

The pay was decent for the amount of work expected, but confirming the hours worked could be hectic since Hastings uses an app called "When I Work" to record hours worked. (I do not own a
  more... smartphone.) The only thing I could do was call the front office at the start and end of my shift, hoping someone would answer. Most of the time, the front office was closed at the end of my shift and unable to confirm my hours, sometimes prompting a call from Hastings the following day asking if I had in fact signed out.

The company has the potential to be a good life-guarding company, but it needs to balance its clientele needs with adequate lifeguard orientation. I imagine Hastings might be more suitable for people who are already familiar with the lifeguard-for-hire strategy across a region of pool facilities, but I encourage anyone interested in Hastings or about to enter the company to first request an thorough orientation.
Pros
Great client facilities
Cons
Unorganized, inadequate new-hire training
Disfunctional management
operations (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHOctober 29, 2015
Management consistantly changing direction and goals. No clear vision top down and employees are worked extremely hard. High management turnover. This speaks volumes.
Pros
Nice offices
Cons
No clear direction
What a fantasic place to work
Head Guard/ Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHApril 10, 2015
So many opportunities for more hours and bonus. If you love kids, teach swim lessons! this company also helps with achieve management experience, and has the employees needs covered!
There staff in fun, lively and professional. All Guards and trained every year so that their skills are completely up to date and ready for whatever the water may bring!
Pros
great people, great tan, swim on breaks
Cons
hot environment, long hours
Great Summer Job
Lifeguard Manager (Current Employee) –  Brecksville, OHJanuary 28, 2015
Being a lifeguard is all about being vigilant and doing your job. If you are expecting variety this is not the job for you. Expect to do the same tasks at the same time every single day, and to send long hours sitting in a chair.
Pros
great hours
Cons
boring
Run ! And Dont Trust Anyone There
Service Manager / (Former Employee) –  Brecksville OhioApril 14, 2014
Not a very honest company . I would not trust much if anything they say or do.
Pros
lunches
Cons
pay, no advancement, politics
Rollercoaster Ride of a Workplace
Office personnel (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHDecember 4, 2013
-Typical day is 10 hrs which you will be compensated for 8 hrs
-I learned to appreciate the rewards from hard work
-Managment is present but needs to be more supportive
-My coworkers are dedicated to obtaining the same result as I am
-The hardest part of the job is juggling current responsibilities along with the owners drastic changes
-The most enjoyable part of the job is the praise of a job well done from the customer
Pros
above average benefits
Cons
low appreciation for revenue earners, quantity over quality
Excellent
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHSeptember 25, 2013
Hastings water works values opinions from their employees. It's an excellent and safe environment to work
Great Summer Fun
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Maple Heights, OHApril 25, 2013
Definitely one of the best jobs I've had. They train you well to do your job and you have fun while you're doing it. Two thumbs way up!!