Hastings

Hastings Employer Reviews

Fun and exciting environment to work in, knowledgeable staff with excellent customer service and employee discounts. Fee coffee.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Muskogee, OKApril 2, 2014
Pros: free coffee, employee discount of ten percent.
Cons: expect minimum wage and low hours.
Hastings is a great place to work as long as you are do not rely upon it to feed a family. For a single person young or old, it proves to be an interesting job which is simple to master. They do tend to be harsh on cash discrepancies with the register, requiring termination after three write-ups. I personally find this to be very understandable and – more... quite fair. The management is always friendly and mild mannered, the staff is knowledgeable, and most employees tend to keep their positions for many years without feeling the need to leave. It is easy to settle into a comfortable groove, and the products available are not only mind-blowing, but are also available at a generous discount to all employees. Each employee is allowed one free small paper-back per week, at the disadvantage of having to remove the cover from the book. I prefer to purchase the book rather than to desecrate or deface it in any way. – less
Fun Place
Team Leader (Current Employee), Ogden, UTApril 2, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: pay
Its never dull or boring. Always customers and work to do.
I love staying busy and interacting with lots of people.
CSA (Former Employee), Midland TexasMarch 17, 2014
Pros: 10% discount
Cons: horrible pay
great place to work but the pay is not good and can not afford benefits.
I work in a very productive atmosphere and the employee's make it a fun and happy place to work.
CSA (Current Employee), Cape Girardeau, MOMarch 14, 2014
Pros: fun place to work
Cons: n/a
A typical day working at Hastings is like working with a big family. They treat everyone with respect and all the manager's and employee's are very helpful. They make it a very fun a laid back stress free environment.
fun place to work
Cashier- Duties (Former Employee), coloradoFebruary 27, 2014
I learned alot. helping customers with renting movies, buying books, operating cash register.
Counter Team Lead and Book Manager (Former Employee), 80631February 26, 2014
The salary is low, but if you do not have a lot of bills it is a wonderful, fun place.
Books movies and random items
Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee), Enid, OKFebruary 18, 2014
I was a step below a manager at this location and it seemed to be as if I was always there. Our previous manager was fired due to not being able to bring up store profits which isn't her fault.
Not the greatest experience.
Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee), Manhattan, KSFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: sometimes a nice discount.
Cons: high turnover/demoralizing.
A typical day at work was filled with getting blamed, trying to reach unobtainable goals, and stress.

I learned that Companies that only care about their sales and only sales can be very hard to work for.

While I was there we went through two store managers if that tells you anything.

My coworkers were pretty standard.

The hardest part about my – more... job was the lack of training.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my team. I had a great team. – less
Great product. High quality refined technology.
Chemical Engineer - Coatings (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
Pros: convenient and well established traditional engineering company.
Cons: local social values were under attack at the time.
It was my first engineering job and was a traditional company located in center city Philadelphia. It's still going and has relocated. I had a lot of responsibility and enjoyed the company of some very knowledgeable professional engineers. I learned quite a bit there. I conrtributed to the best of my ability. I like to think that I added some things – more... to the development of decorative processes for plastics. – less
Overall a great place to work if you are good with people.
Customer Service (Current Employee), Greenville, TXFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: close to my home.
Cons: not enough hours
Typical day would be lots of customer service, greating people as they enter the store, as they are shopping. offering assistance whenever you might see someone in need. Stocking, basic cashier duties whether checking, doing returns, buybacks. All members of the management team and my co-workers are great to work for and with. The hardest part of my – more... job and the most enjoyable part would be customer service. I love to meet new people and help them meet there needs and I dont like when i am unable to help. – less
Great temporary work
Security Officer/Supervisor (Current Employee), Eau Claire, WIFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: easy to gain, decent pay, very good management team (now)
Cons: not a career position, rough hours, no electronics allowed
This is primarily a college job for extra income.

Basic skill set required.

Leadership does lead to minor opportunity for supervision but there's little opportunity for further advancement or pay.
Very Independent
CafĂ© Manager (Former Employee), Jonesboro, ARJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: discounts, loyalty incentives (pay increase, etc), nice co-workers, decent benefits
Cons: little training, poor communication, very little teamwork
The culture at the Hastings I worked at was very independent. It was very difficult to rely on anyone to teach or train you anything. If you wanted to do something, you had to figure it out for yourself. Some good aspects were some of my co-workers, the discounts, and the slight pay increases and incentives for sticking around. However, if you work – more... at Hastings, be prepared for LOTS of paperwork, poor communication from upper management, and a lack of teamwork. – less
Merchandise and Customer Service
Book Associate/General Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ponca City, OKJanuary 8, 2014
Fairly good work environment, pretty flexible hours. Was sometime difficult to deal with all the product loss and theivs.
A place I would work again
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Lawton, OKDecember 10, 2013
Got to work with all kinds of people. If you were willing to step outside your basic assigned duties, the job was a lot more entertaining and the work helped the shifts fly by.
Fun work place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Santa Fe, NMDecember 3, 2013
My time was very brief as I was very young and did not have much experience in the work place. The short time I was there, I experienced a fun work place full of dynamic people with a wide range of knowledge.
Fun work enviroment to work at.
Certified as a Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Plastic, CONovember 8, 2013
Always working in friendly enviroment easy to learn new job area.
good place
Department Manager (Former Employee), Brownwood, TXOctober 28, 2013
Pros: loved working in customer service
Cons: poor management
This was a fun place to work with great retail experience. However, the Management at the time was not very conducive to a strong, healthy work environment.
Productive fun workplace
Barista (Former Employee), Albuquerque, NMOctober 10, 2013
Pros: store discount, free coffee
Cons: not alot of hours
Hastings was a great place and a nice atmosphere It was also Very fun.
Guest Service Associate (Former Employee), Great Falls, MTOctober 8, 2013
Cons: wage cap
I enjoyed my time with Hastings. The people I worked with made the day go by much quicker.
An ok place to work
Barista, Cashier, Book Associate (Current Employee), Farmington, NMSeptember 28, 2013
Cons: no breaks, managment15
A typical day at work is like most any retail store cleaning stocking cash handling and customer service. Ive learned a lot about books and how to be a Barista. Management is very back and forth not a very fun environment when it comes to management. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around my regular customers and coworkers.

1 2 3 4