Hastings Employee Reviews

Cool Culture, Awesome Customers
FCTL (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMJune 24, 2015
A typical day here consisted of counting tills, counteracting theft with excellent customer service, assisting customers with purchases, questions, and complaints. I learned more about today's workplace from this job than all of my previous experience combined. This included the basics of metrics, loss prevention, building rapport with customers, communicating effectively as a key part of the team, and training fellow coworkers.

Management was never about micro-management. I could work as an independent part of the team without being supervised; unless I asked for the supervision and assistance, I was never bothered by anybody.
The co-workers are very competitive. This is a good thing because the dynamic of our working relationship pushed me to achieve many goals the company set for me, and many goals that I set for myself.

The hardest part of the job is having to say no and stand by the corporate policy. These policies change almost weekly and most of them are purely for the interest of the company and not the customer. I had to stand by the company in situations where I knew the customer was right, but could not assist further due to fears of demotion and termination.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people to find things that they TRULY LOVE. The smiles and conversations I shared were meaningful and often resulted in the happiness of both the customer and myself.

If you get hired here as a CSA or FCTL, keep your nose to the ground. It is a highly competitive, sink or swim environment. If you can handle that, you will gain a lot from Hastings.
Pros
Small discounts, great customers and coworkers.
Cons
No corporate support.
The best place to work if you love Entertainment
CSA (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMarch 7, 2013
My time working at Hastings was easily one of the best experiences of my life. A typical day may include a routine of greetings customers and checking them out, or putting returned rental back up on the shelf, but the process gave me a real insight into the customer's interests, which was always a treat.
My time at Hastings helped me learn more about Customer Service, as well as some minor sales tactics; things that are easily applicable and useful for future jobs. That aside, it helped me build more of a rapport with my co-workers, working closely with them as a unit, and none of which I ever had a difficult time with.
The most difficult, and yet most satisfying part of the job came from dealing with the Customers, who at any time could ask you about a movie, book, or game- As a member of the team, obviously I had to pick my words carefully about our products, but at the same time it felt good to contribute and feel like my advice or opinion mattered to the consumer. Its a feeling that's difficult to find in most jobs, and leaves you feeling that your time put in was more than just an amount of dollars and cents.

I hope to find more Hastings outlets, and to work for one again sometime in the future.
Pros
fun environment, good company, friendly management, sense of value
Cons
hours can be a little on the short side, advancement can be difficult.
Hated getting out of bed to go...
Lifestyle Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 14, 2013
Everything wasn't terrible about this job...but most of it was. I really enjoyed some of my coworkers. But the rest back stabbed, passed the buck and were lazy and rude. I enjoyed my backroom manager and my lifestyles manager. The store manager I believed tricked me into getting fired. I'VE NEVER BEEN FIRED! Through a series of events I had been made to look like a thief and lazy. Everything there is a complete mess and totally out of order. The store manager is "always right" (to the point where the rest of the employees have to pick up the slack and raise each others moral by back biting it seems) and when something small isn't done correctly to his specifications(of which were always wrong) he blows up on you and made you feel like a total idiot. I looked forward to being at work when he wasn't. It literally made my day so good. When he'd show up he would ignore me and act like I wasn't there until he could find something to complain about, just to tear me down I think. When he wasn't doing it to me, he was making someone else feel bad. Everyone who has been there a while has said "you have to learn to tolerate him" or "That is just how he always is, don't take it personally". Never in my life have I been fired from a job, but never have I thought I'd be happy to leave that way from any job.
Wonderful people and job all around!
Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Hutchinson, KSMay 5, 2015
I absolutely loved working here! A typical work day I would arrive at the store, count the drawers from the previous night, set up the deposit, count the drawers for that day, set up the registers, set up petty, then unlock the doors and begin our day at the store.

Once the store was opened I would be sure the cashier(s) were ready to go and when things were going smoothly I would take the deposit to the bank, return to the store finish up the deposit process for the files, and then go back to the registers to help with customers.

My co-workers were great and our manager was also wonderful! We all worked together as a team to support good customer service as well as a great workplace for everyone.

The hardest part of the job was at the beginning, learning how to manage my time to accomplish everything! After I got that down, it was the rude customers, but even they typically had valid reasons for being upset and we always were able to manage it and make it right.

The most enjoyable part of the job? My co-workers. No matter how hard the day was or how difficult people were, we were there for one another. It was like having a support team and we always made it better for everyone involved.
Fun and exciting environment to work in, knowledgeable staff with excellent customer service and employee discounts. Fee coffee.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Muskogee, OKApril 2, 2014
Hastings is a great place to work as long as you are do not rely upon it to feed a family. For a single person young or old, it proves to be an interesting job which is simple to master. They do tend to be harsh on cash discrepancies with the register, requiring termination after three write-ups. I personally find this to be very understandable and quite fair. The management is always friendly and mild mannered, the staff is knowledgeable, and most employees tend to keep their positions for many years without feeling the need to leave. It is easy to settle into a comfortable groove, and the products available are not only mind-blowing, but are also available at a generous discount to all employees. Each employee is allowed one free small paper-back per week, at the disadvantage of having to remove the cover from the book. I prefer to purchase the book rather than to desecrate or deface it in any way.
Pros
free coffee, employee discount of ten percent.
Cons
expect minimum wage and low hours.
Productive, constantly learning new things
Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZMarch 8, 2015
A typical day at work includes, customer service, answering customer's questions in person or via phone. Helping them find what movie they need. Would need to know what movie customer's needed when they don't have a movie title but knew the actor's names in it.

Hastings was the spot when I was young for all my music needs so it was important for me to help customers find what CD they were looking for as well as books.My knowledge for pop culture/books/music and video games has expanded, it's really become the spot for anything as far as entertainment.

The hardest part of my job was not being able to help a customer find what they need when they themselves are not so sure what they are looking for. Also when they needed to find a movie and the system would say we have it, but it would be no where to be found seeing that movies can get easily misplaced since the movie selection is very huge.

The most enjoyable part of the job was constantly seeing what's new whether it be movie/pop culture/ music/video games or book.

Definitely recommend stopping here!
Hastings
Video Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 31, 2014
A typical work day would start with going in one to two hours prior to the store opening so that sales could be updated daily or new releases could be stocked. The rest of the day was focused on providing customer service and stocking/re-organizing the Video department. Store manager was friendly and approachable, but appropriately strict to ensure that employees were getting work done. As with a general workplace, there are some employees that do the bare minimum and the few that "carry" the team. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the constant change in sales, some weekly and others daily. The most enjoyable part, positive interaction with customers who cared about your opinion on films/television. It was always a great feeling to be able to share a favorite film with someone who had never seen it.
Pros
manager experience. working in a place where your opinion really matters.
Cons
working with people who did not do their work.
Fast paced, great workers.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Jct, COJuly 18, 2013
A typical day at work included working at the cash registers, helping customers find items, and buying back customers items. I really learned how to multi-task there, especially when it got busy. The management was amazing, they were very helpful and flexible with just about everything. The people I worked with were very easygoing. The hardest part of the job was having to sell magazines, which nobody wanted. It was a cooperate decision but management mostly understood why we weren't able to sell any. The best part of the job was being able to help people fully and it was very rewarding when you got to help someone who was just very thankful that you were able to help them.
Pros
co-workers, discounts, flexibility.
Cons
selling the magazines, short hours, not much opportunity for advancement.
A quiet workplace, but give me a dartboard any time.
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NDecember 13, 2012
A typical day at work is getting the best out of it, taking in what you are learning,managing workload without a hitch, having a laugh with your co-workers now and then.The hardest part of the job is knowing you cant always be perfect everybody makes mistakes. Yes the most enjoyable part of the job is getting the job done in a safe environment, and of course loving it.But as now nursing is the thing of the pass, I need to do something completely different, the old saying out with the old in with the new.Working as a nurse for the elderly can be rewarding, but it can take all your energy up. So I do not want to go there, again.
Pros
learning something new, out with the old.
Cons
when something needs to be done, and someone dont get the hint.
Hastings was a fun and entertaining place to work
Front Counter Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 1, 2012
I began as a front counter associate. My responsibility ranged from: checking in returned rental movies, organizing them and returning them to stock, beoing a cashier, assisting all customers with account issues and keeping my departments clean.

As a Front Counter Team Leader I shtill had the basic responsibilities with the added bit of special transactions like employee discounts, refunds, counting all cashiers deposits, nightly profits, ensuring the store was properly closed/opened and ensuring the store was properly locked at close.
Pros
employee discounts, breaks
Cons
fairly short shifts
This job sucked
Video and front counter associate (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMMay 2, 2015
I worked here for a year and all I can say is that is awful. I dreaded going to work. I got way underpaid and would get 24 hours a week if I was lucky. They hired so many people at one time that the staff that was trained and knew what they were doing got hours cut so the new staff could learn. It was an unfair place to work. The customers were rude the store manager didn't care about you unless you kissed the ground he walked on and the other staff didn't do their job so you pretty much had to run the whole store by yourself. Besides WalMart this was the worst job I had ever worked at.
Pros
the discount was decent
Cons
It was an awful place to work
Very Independent
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJanuary 30, 2014
The culture at the Hastings I worked at was very independent. It was very difficult to rely on anyone to teach or train you anything. If you wanted to do something, you had to figure it out for yourself. Some good aspects were some of my co-workers, the discounts, and the slight pay increases and incentives for sticking around. However, if you work at Hastings, be prepared for LOTS of paperwork, poor communication from upper management, and a lack of teamwork.
Pros
discounts, loyalty incentives (pay increase, etc), nice co-workers, decent benefits
Cons
little training, poor communication, very little teamwork
Overall a great place to work if you are good with people.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, TXFebruary 2, 2014
Typical day would be lots of customer service, greating people as they enter the store, as they are shopping. offering assistance whenever you might see someone in need. Stocking, basic cashier duties whether checking, doing returns, buybacks. All members of the management team and my co-workers are great to work for and with. The hardest part of my job and the most enjoyable part would be customer service. I love to meet new people and help them meet there needs and I dont like when i am unable to help.
Pros
close to my home.
Cons
not enough hours
Great product. High quality refined technology.
Chemical Engineer - Coatings (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 10, 2014
It was my first engineering job and was a traditional company located in center city Philadelphia. It's still going and has relocated. I had a lot of responsibility and enjoyed the company of some very knowledgeable professional engineers. I learned quite a bit there. I conrtributed to the best of my ability. I like to think that I added some things to the development of decorative processes for plastics.
Pros
convenient and well established traditional engineering company.
Cons
local social values were under attack at the time.
Fun and upbeat
CSA/ Backroom Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TxSeptember 8, 2014
Going to work is something I look forward to everyday. Management is great and never hesitates to listen to my ideas and complaints. I have learned everything there is to learn except the management side. The hardest part of my job is that I don't get enough hours or pay to raise my son and now I am having to choose between the job that I love and my son. I have been promised numerous promotions and raises but always let down and I cant hang on much longer.
Pros
great people, fun loving environment
Cons
i make less now than i did at my first job
Fun work place
CAS (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZJune 19, 2015
the most enjoyable part was my co-workers we were a great team and everyone was very nice. The management was okay I thing he needed more help because he had just so much to do and run for only on guy. The hardest part of the job was the companys system it was really hard to learn and to work with. A typical day was gathering moive's within the in/out side drop boxes. Scan the movies in and re-case them and run them back on the wall. Answer many customer question. Also run the regrster
Pros
The discount
Cons
Not many hours, stressful, and the pay was low.
During my 6 year tenure working for the Hastings Group, there was constant shift in management.
WOMEN'S BUYER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2013
Every Monday open-to-buy was projected.
I learned how to create private label programs through domestic sourcing.
Management could be very difficult at times.
Co-workers were very supportive.
The hardest part of the job was working for an unstable company. No job security.
Learning the process of running a catalog business.
Pros
learning how to negotiate with domestic vendors regarding private label development.
Cons
difficult management.
Not the greatest experience.
Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSFebruary 17, 2014
A typical day at work was filled with getting blamed, trying to reach unobtainable goals, and stress.

I learned that Companies that only care about their sales and only sales can be very hard to work for.

While I was there we went through two store managers if that tells you anything.

My coworkers were pretty standard.

The hardest part about my job was the lack of training.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my team. I had a great team.
Pros
sometimes a nice discount.
Cons
high turnover/demoralizing.
Hastings was great Family Enviorment
Cafe Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherman, TXJuly 8, 2015
Hastings gave me the opportunity to be a manager for about a year. In that time, I learned how to manage a team of associates, also how to make schedules, and to keep everything in the standard of the health guidelines. I also learned how and when to order supplies for the café. The Hastings I worked for, all of our co-workers treated each other like family.
Pros
Management Experience
Cons
Management not helping employees grow within the company
Could have been good
Price Management, Book Manager, Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 29, 2012
Have held several positions but the company keeps cutting hours to the stores and does not budget enough hours for the work that needs to be done. I kept thinking it would get better, then I gave up. It could have been a fun job and a good work environment, but upper management doesn't get out of their offices enough to know what goes on at the store level.
Cons
bad music on repeat all day, stress from lack of hours to do work