Hastings Employee Reviews

Why am I writing this
Counter Team LEad (Former Employee) –  Auburn, ALJanuary 18, 2017
Hastings has closed, so I do not really see the point of making this review. While I was there, I liked the working conditions and the benefits and the corporate culture, but disagreed with some of the decisions that the CEOs made concerning the job. Overall a good experience.
Best place I have ever worked
Counter Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Bullhead City, AZJanuary 26, 2017
They had wonderful customer service rules, the management clearly understood when employees were working hard. This place was the best job I had the only thing that sucked about it was the fact that the pay was low and so were the hours. If Hastings had better pay I would argue that this is a perfect job especially for an entry job. I learned a lot about teamwork, how not all jobs are designated to just one group of people. How we can all share the work load, cooperation between employees was amazing. The coolest part was the more departments you worked in made you a much more valuable asset to all of the departments. My favorite part about Hastings was the way they trained Managers of the store, which was to train them in all departments until the Manager of said department feels like they have a basic understanding of how the department works. Even though the franchise is gone, I think many employers should take notes after them in order to get employees to work harder and cooperate.
Pros
Great company policies, great people, excellent customer service (most of the time), great work experience all around
Cons
Hours, Pay, Write Ups (Flags)
Career with a growing company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARFebruary 6, 2017
Leadership of a big box retail store with 50-70 associates. P&L experience as well as budgets for every month. Responsible for all hiring, training, and coaching. Have also worked closely with Loss Prevention over the years. Have been trained to complete LP interviews and terminations. Growing sales and marketing a business. Have opened many new stores as well as being part of numerous remodels. Enjoy leading a team who will succeed sales and profit goals.
Pros
A company who cares about people. People make the difference!
Cons
Micromanagement
BEST JOB EVER! while it lasted...
ASSISTANT MANAGER & CTL (Current Employee) –  Nacogdoches, TXAugust 27, 2016
The best place I have ever had the privilege of working at.
I will surly miss it, but cherish my memories I have made there and the people I met forever.
I was promoted only months after starting. Once i got the promotion, the GM told me i showed great promise and could even own my own store in a couple years if i kept it up. Two days later they announced they were filing for Bankruptcy...so... now to start over somewhere new i guess. Hopefully my next crew will be just as great.
Pros
great, productive, punctual crew
Cons
Bankruptcy
Disorganized
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain Home, ARDecember 17, 2016
The customer service was great. It was awesome seeing and helping the local residents. The company was poorly organized and didn't offer advancements like it should. Overall the company went bankrupt because of the disorganization.
Pros
Hour lunches and dealing with customers
Cons
Magazine sells
Productive and fun workplace
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Jackson, TXDecember 7, 2016
Start out at opening the store counting the safe and all the drawers, paperwork, greeting customers, cash register, I learned to be patient, multitasking, Management was very helpful, great team work, trained co-workers, Meeting new people everyday and learning a new experiences everyday.
Pros
discounts
Fun place to work for and a good working environment
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJanuary 25, 2017
Company was a fun place to work fun with flexible hours and great employees. Some of management was awful and refused to make changes when employees recommended it.
No longer a business
EDI Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXDecember 8, 2016
Hastings has shut down and is no longer in business. This was a very fun company to work for but upper management failed to keep the company relevant in the digital age.
Good Luck they are Closed Now
Front Lead (Former Employee) –  Hobbs, NMJanuary 2, 2017
Good luck cause they are all closed now, so if you have a job there I don't know what to tell you but run and look for something else, while I was working there the job was great, co workers was great, hours suck.
Pros
Closed
Cons
Bad Store Manager, Closed
Fun Work Plave
Front Counter Leader (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COFebruary 8, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers and the other employees. To help customer find what they are looking for and help them get the item was a great part of this job.
Out of Business
Associate (Former Employee) –  Helena, MTDecember 8, 2016
They are out of business now, but working there I met some great people, good staff, good managers and always enjoyed being able to help customers with whatever movie/book/music/etc needs.
The most enjoyable part of the job
floor associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXSeptember 21, 2016
Being able to spend all day with the public, helping from finding products to education over how to use them properly to ordering merchandise specific to a customer's needs.
Pros
great social place to work
Cons
hours were weirdly scheduled
Wonderful first time job
Inventory control associate (Current Employee) –  Killeen, TXAugust 21, 2016
I enjoyed all the people I have worked with and all the fun we had. I loved meeting all types of customers who needed help finding certain product. I will never forget my experiences of learning new skills and improving myself as a person in the work place.
Very Independent
Café Manager (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJanuary 30, 2014
The culture at the Hastings I worked at was very independent. It was very difficult to rely on anyone to teach or train you anything. If you wanted to do something, you had to figure it out for yourself. Some good aspects were some of my co-workers, the discounts, and the slight pay increases and incentives for sticking around. However, if you work at Hastings, be prepared for LOTS of paperwork, poor communication from upper management, and a lack of teamwork.
Pros
discounts, loyalty incentives (pay increase, etc), nice co-workers, decent benefits
Cons
little training, poor communication, very little teamwork
Fun and upbeat
CSA/ Backroom Associate (Current Employee) –  Victoria, TxSeptember 8, 2014
Going to work is something I look forward to everyday. Management is great and never hesitates to listen to my ideas and complaints. I have learned everything there is to learn except the management side. The hardest part of my job is that I don't get enough hours or pay to raise my son and now I am having to choose between the job that I love and my son. I have been promised numerous promotions and raises but always let down and I cant hang on much longer.
Pros
Great people, fun loving environment
Cons
I make less now than I did at my first job
Great workplace, Good Employees
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Stephenville, TXFebruary 24, 2016
In my twelve years with the company, I grew as a person both personally and at the workplace. The hands on training was next to none, allowing new employees the chance to get a true grasp of the work involved. However in my time there, I saw time and again people brought into high levels of management that had never worked in a store before, instead of encouraging advancement within the company.
Pros
Great work enviroment
Cons
Lacking Advancement Opportunitites
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMJune 3, 2016
Greet customers, organize video's, manage money, cashier, and clean.

Learned to be patient with customers, organize video files and paper work, and balance my cashier money.

My co workers were very friendly and we all got along very well with each other

Hardest part of the job was discounting items that were not going thru the system automatically

Most enjoyable part of the job was talking one on one with customers and helping them find a certain item.
Pros
Discounts and healthcare
Cons
Short hours
Productive fun workplace with awesome minded people (mostly)
Book Associate / CSA (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKMarch 27, 2016
A typical day at work was very laid back. I learned a ton about how people work and how emotional they are about their money. It's pretty intense how everyone goes crazy over slips of paper.. My co-workers were pretty laid back as well. Very easy to talk to but the management was everywhere. There was always someone not calling in or showing up.
Pros
discounted merchandise
Cons
you couldn't get promoted to a manager or go full-time unless you're 21
It was a lot of fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 6, 2016
Awesome people for the most part. The pay is low but a great store manager makes the morale the difference. The culture it works in is relaxed so the people seem better for it.
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Waxahachie, TXJuly 22, 2016
The people you meet and work with are fun. There are always challenges to satisfying customer demands during the day to day.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Corporate mandates not always common sense.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hastings. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8