Department: Business Office
Reports To: Associate Head for Finance and Administration
This position is responsible for preparing timely and accurate financial reports, recommending and administering all accounting policies, and insuring strong internal controls and procedures that protect the assets of the school.
The individual must be detail-oriented and operate with extreme accuracy in a multi-tasked, fast-paced environment. The individual must possess excellent organizational skills and an ability to appropriately prioritize the tasks at hand. Experience in Microsoft Office programs is required, including strong and demonstrated skills in spreadsheet-based financial analysis. Experience with Blackbaud, or comparable software, is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare entries to general ledger accounts, documenting transactions. Post journal entries to the general ledger.
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, and fund activities to ensure accurate recording and presentation of all data.
- Coordinates implementation of accounting systems, including accounting policies and procedures, chart of accounts and accounting control procedures which verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data.
- Collects data and prepares appropriate tax returns, including Form 990, and ensures filings are submitted on a timely basis.
- Performs general accounting, month-end, and year-end closing procedures including fiscal year general ledger.
- Processes daily cash receipts, and performs monthly general ledger reconciliations. Reconciles accounts payable and accounts receivables. Advancement and Business Office records, payroll and bank accounts.
- Administers pension and annuity plans. Prepares, remits, and monitors employee and employer contributions to the plan. Oversees audit of 403 (b) plan.
- Administers bad debt and collection accounts.
- Coordinates year-end audits and prepares reports, schedules, and information for audits, including annual inventory cost reports and depreciation schedules
- With Associate Head for Finance and Administration, oversees payroll and benefit administration and reporting.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Minimum of five years experience in related field. Individual will work with faculty, staff, parents, students and members of the Board of Trustees. Strong organizational skills are needed in order to manage and coordinate multiple tasks and large quantities of information.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from an accredited four-year college or university, with a concentration in accounting; a minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in a business office environment, preferably in an educational or non-profit institution; a high degree of computer literacy; experience with Blackbaud, or equivalent software, preferred. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or CPA candidate, preferred.
Strong oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate in a friendly and diplomatic manner at all times with the members of the HB community. Candidates must have outstanding interpersonal skills to relate to a wide diversity of faculty, staff, parents, Board of Trustees, and school community members.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter.