Hattie Larlham Employee Reviews

Avoid at all cost!!!
A former staff member (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHApril 29, 2017
Where to start, well the pay is horrible, management is a joke, and the co-workers will lie on you to management. I loved and cared about those participants but the co-workers could care less about them but they will have their job, if you work hard and give them love, you can kiss your job goodbye and your good reputation. Co-workers bullied me and harassed me and even though I reported them, guess whose working there and who isn't? If you make a mistake, believe you won't have your job for long. They make you take care of the participants, clean the center, drive their vehicles, clean behind the animals there under slave wages. If you're a float, don't do it because it'll be more stress on you, I haven't worked there for a few months now and I still have emotional scars and nightmares from this company and been through a lot of scars I'm trying to heal still since I lost my job here. If you value everything about yourself, you will avoid this company at all cost!!! It was the WORST I have ever worked for and I wish I could tell the family to not to put their love ones in here!!!
Pros
The participants
Cons
Everything!!!
okay place to work
Direct Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 3, 2017
I enjoyed working with the individuals that I served during my time with this employer. It was gratifying to help people in need. I enjoyed my time at this job for the most part.
love doing the job
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHMarch 31, 2017
I loved my job because i was helping others in ways i could never imagine, but management can definitely be improved and staff could be improved. This place is always hiring
Good place to work!
HABILITATION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OH 44255March 23, 2017
This is a great place to work, especially if you love kids! Working with these disabled children was so rewarding! They also have a good training program if it's your first time doing direct patient care.
Pros
8 hour shifts, overtime available
Cons
short breaks, nowhere to buy lunch/coffee
Ok place to work but I felt like a nurse assistant
HA/ Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHMarch 5, 2017
First time working with individuals with disabilities. I liked the job but I felt like a nurse assistant. First day some people looked at me like I was nothing. Most employees were not friendly and never wanted to speak and just stared at me the whole time. Trainers I had were the only friendly people I worked with. Job is very demanding and rewarding.
Enjoyed working with my clients.
In-Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHFebruary 4, 2017
Typical day included tube feeding, bathing and meal preparation. I learned patience is a virtue. At times, management could be difficult. Hardest part of the job was the patient(s) who were difficult to handle and the most enjoyable part of the job was the patients who appreciated my help.
Pros
The excitement of learning about a new patient
Cons
Lack of communication between supervisor(s) and the aides.
Wonderful Organization
Job Readiness Manager (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 23, 2017
Unfortunately I was recently let go from this wonderful organization due to downsizing and restructuring. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the company. I thoroughly enjoyed working for Hattie Larlham. I was very proud of the work we did to serve the individuals. I worked in the the vocational services department first as a facility manager for one of the vocational training programs, then was promoted to a position where I coordinated the employment assessments. The management was extremely supportive and encouraged growth. There was lots of opportunity for advancement. The workplace culture was second to none. I'll be hard pressed to find another group as passionate about they do. The only downside to this organization is that their wages are not at all competitive and staff are severely underpaid. Then again, you do not do this type of work for the money and the great culture and knowing you are making a difference made it all worthwhile.
Very Good Place to Work
PROGRAM MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJanuary 15, 2017
My experience has been on the vocational side of the business. The management and colleagues are excellent. They encourage teamwork and creativity. Unfortunately the pay is not commensurate with similar agencies. You do this job because you have a passion for what you do. The best part of the job is working with the people we serve. Our organization has been respected and takes the rules and rights of people with disabilities very seriously. Recently the organization is restructuring so the job security is uncertain. However, this will resolve itself in the future and I would recommend this agency to anyone.
Pros
Flexibility, good management, supportive team environment
Cons
downsizing, lower pay than industry average
Hattie Larlham
Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHNovember 23, 2016
Hattie Larlham is a large non-profit organization that provides services to people with developmental disabilities and special needs and their family throughout Ohio.
They want all the extra free time you have
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHNovember 15, 2016
I enjoyed working here for my individuals I took care of. But they play favorites,gossip with a bunch of he said she said mess, want you to work an extra shift 8 hour shift a week, so if you want the overtime great but when you have school or other obligations it sucks. They're racist and inconsiderate, not to mention no room for advancement.
Pros
The bond you build with your individuals, all the overtime you want
Cons
Pay, no room for advancement, unprofessional
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  OhioOctober 18, 2016
Being on call is a negative but overall this is an amazing place to work. Management is great and the atmosphere is fun. The company does a lot of great things for the residents.
Pros
Good pay, benefits, great environment
Cons
Being on call
Productive and fun workplace
Camp Counselor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 25, 2016
A typical work day consists of assisting campers with hands on activities and helping with direct care needs such as eating and changing clothes. I've learned different ways to gain and keep the attention of the campers. The management provides enough staff so if a camper needs one on one attention, they will receive it. My coworkers work together to keep the campers happy, satisfied and wanting to come back every year. We also strive to teach the campers something new every day. The hardest part of my job is on a personal level. It's hard to find time to spend with my family and friends because I travel an hour to work and I work Mon.-Fri.Other than that, I enjoy my work. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing how happy the campers get when they learn something new.
Love working with the MR/DD poplulation
Habilitation Aide (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHAugust 8, 2016
If you love working the MR/DD population this is a job for you. It is a very rewarding job for the person who has a heart for the residents.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
co workers
wonderful place to work
Assisting Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHApril 24, 2016
i recommend working for this company. they really respect the view of the employee. they offer job advancement. they give performance based raises.
Typical Day
Hablitiation Aid (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHApril 21, 2016
Its always great working with people . A lot of people have behavior issues and no one does anything about it . The managers do not want to listen to employee input.
Pros
Residence
Cons
low wages
Not Worth The Headache
Habilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OH/Solon OH/Oakwood OHFebruary 10, 2016
I would not recommend working here the residents are great. The management sucks some are very unwelcoming and look down on you. You have no rights and their very disrespectful.
horrific company
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 5, 2015
unorganized, liars racial profilers and unfair treatment to the employees . catty gossiping woman so unprofessional and no team support. no communication and everyone expects other person to do the their job. higher ranked supervisor's take the individuals word over employees not all employees are snakes. not fair would not recommend anyone to work there . they expect the most but help you out the least. pitiful.
Pros
money
Cons
health insurance, co-workers and managment
helping clients
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 5, 2015
Helping clients with disabilities maintain their everyday life style. Going with them on outings. Doing theirs everyday medications. Feeding, cooking, cleaning.
Nice place to work for.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Green, OhioSeptember 28, 2015
Enjoyed working in this community home care job for skilled client, learned tube feeding, trachea care, maneuver ceiling hoyer lift, very nice family.
Pros
close to home
Cons
part time
Terrible co-workers. Love the individuals.
Habilitation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHAugust 12, 2015
The individuals are amazing! I love taking care of them. Wouldn't change that at all. But there is way to much drama and people will turn you in for anything!!! No matter what. There is absolutely no trust among coworkers and way to many "clicks". It's just like high school, even with the employees who've been there 20+ years. There are a lot of 2 faced employees as well. Watch your back! Some employees are also very rude to the individuals and talk nasty to them and can be rough and forceful with them. But supervisors can't do anything unless you document on it, yet they are so short staffed that they won't fire the employee for doing something like that, but will fire you over something that is completely stupid.
Pros
Great individuals
Cons
abusive employees towards individuals; backstabbing employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hattie Larlham. Our community is ready to answer.