Hattie Larlham Employee Reviews in United States

wonderful place to work
Assisting Home Manager (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHApril 24, 2016
i recommend working for this company. they really respect the view of the employee. they offer job advancement. they give performance based raises.
Not Worth The Headache
Habilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OH/Solon OH/Oakwood OHFebruary 10, 2016
I would not recommend working here the residents are great. The management sucks some are very unwelcoming and look down on you. You have no rights and their very disrespectful.
horrific company
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 5, 2015
unorganized, liars racial profilers and unfair treatment to the employees . catty gossiping woman so unprofessional and no team support. no communication and everyone expects other person to do the their job. higher ranked supervisor's take the individuals word over employees not all employees are snakes. not fair would not recommend anyone to work there . they expect the most but help you out the least. pitiful.
Pros
money
Cons
health insurance, co-workers and managment
helping clients
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 5, 2015
Helping clients with disabilities maintain their everyday life style. Going with them on outings. Doing theirs everyday medications. Feeding, cooking, cleaning.
Nice place to work for.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Green, OhioSeptember 28, 2015
Enjoyed working in this community home care job for skilled client, learned tube feeding, trachea care, maneuver ceiling hoyer lift, very nice family.
Pros
close to home
Cons
part time
Terrible co-workers. Love the individuals.
Habilitation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHAugust 12, 2015
The individuals are amazing! I love taking care of them. Wouldn't change that at all. But there is way to much drama and people will turn you in for anything!!! No matter what. There is absolutely no trust among coworkers and way to many "clicks". It's just like high school, even with the employees who've been there 20+ years. There are a lot of 2 faced employees as well. Watch your back! Some employees are also very rude to the individuals and talk nasty to them and can be rough and forceful with them. But supervisors can't do anything unless you document on it, yet they are so short staffed that they won't fire the employee for doing something like that, but will fire you over something that is completely stupid.
Pros
Great individuals
Cons
abusive employees towards individuals; backstabbing employees
They pay is not good.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Green, OHMarch 29, 2015
Management played too many games. If you did not do what they want, they find a way to get back at you. The pay is terrible no room for advancement.
Pros
Work schedule was ok.
Cons
The clients could do whatever they wanted to you.
I loved my job
CC Float (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHMarch 25, 2015
I loved waking up everyday knowing i was going to help others. Working with individuals who have DD's is a rewarding field and i was so lucky to have made friendships with everyone at Hattie Larlham.
I already knew not everyone is the same we are all different. The individuals i worked with were so beautiful inside and out and taught me so much. I learned everyone has their own way of communication. Some of the individuals were unable to communicate normal so they used high pitched noises to get your attention, their hands and facial expressions. One of the individuals i worked with was unable to talk but he could still make noises, he was in a wheelchair and would always dance (turn in circles) to christmas music with his eyes closed and a smile on his face. This same individual during christmas time would inspect the room to make sure all the christmas lights were on. One day i forgot to turn a glass house light on and he went over to it and started to make a lot of noise. He came over to me making even louder noises and i asked him what was wrong, he started shaking his head and brought me over to the glass house and he lifted his hand and pointed at it. As soon as i turned the light on he smiled and reached for my hand to hold it. It's sometimes the smallest little things like this that made me appreciate my job, The hardest part of my job was when i couldnt understand what someone was saying or trying to tell me. I worked with a woman who was such an inspiration. She has many different disabilities including speech but that didnt stop her from going to college and getting
  more... degrees. She told me God made her special, God made her this was for a reason. She used to be upset becuase she didn't understand why she had to be different. Everytime i spoke with her i struggled to understand what she said and sometimes she would have to repeat herself several times before i could understand what she was saying because i have a hearing disability. This woman was so strong, beautiful and smart, i admired her for so many reasons but the main reason i admired her was for keeping her faith strong and for showing everyone that just because you have a disabity that doesnt mean you are not smart or not capable of achieving what any normal person can. I would love to find another job where i can help individuals again and connect with them on the same level.  less
an enjoyable work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHMarch 24, 2015
a typical day at work at Hattie Larlham would consist of helping all individuals with their everyday activities such as cooking, bathing, arts and crafts, laundry and more. my job was to insure that the staff fulfill their duties of helping each individual. I also did paper work, payroll and money management for the staff and individuals.
Working with DD adults is very rewarding
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHFebruary 24, 2015
Assisting residents daily
bringing a smile to someone else face
I learn how to work well with others
trying to find what makes someone smile who cannot tell you is a little tough...but figuring it out is amazing
Love the clients not the company
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, OHNovember 21, 2014
I hate to complain about the job that has helped me realized what I want to be doing with my life. I have seen things done to these clients and staff. Depending on which shift you work it is a relaxed work day. You learn to love for the residence of the homes as if they were your own family. There is an extremely high turn over rate for both staff and management. Managers usually don't last more than 1-2 years, besides the ones who are willing to do some shady things. Co-workers are okay I mean there are people who get on your nerves but that's life so you'll get over it. You get used to a lot of things such as changing diapers, urine soaked bed sheets, and some medical equipment on the clients. Above all you can make some wonderful connections with the residents and they last longer than you realize.
Pros
more down time than expected, long lasting connecions
Cons
no vacation or benefits for pt, unprofessional admin. office, overworked managers
Productive fun workplace
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHOctober 1, 2014
A typical day at Hatties was being able to help so one who can't help themselves.
I learned that we as inviduals some times complain about the small things in life but there is someone who situation is a little worst than yours
Management at Hatties was fair
My co-workers were fun to work with, we did alot of team work to help one another out. We always got along with each other.
The hardest part of the job was watching someone life come to a end.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making those residents happy, putting a smile on their faces. Then going home knowing that you made a diiference in someone life.
Pros
going on trips with the residents, cooking for the residents and allowing them to feel like they helping
Flexible hours
PRN, LPN Respite Nurse (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, OHSeptember 3, 2014
The client I have is very limited hours, I enjoy the time I can work with the kids, the job is pleasant
Productive and fun work place with crafts, movies, baking ect
Community Companion (Current Employee) –  Bedford HeightsJuly 24, 2014
I work at Constant Companions full time monday through friday and I love it. It is a good feeling coming into work wondering what the manager has planned for a activity/craft. We do things like have luau's, potlucks, UNO tournaments, bingo ect. Everyone is very good at team work and getting along. We provide care for individuals with disabilities and that helps make it a very rewarding job. The parts of my day that I enjoy most are when you can tell on a individuals face that you just made their day a little bit better.
Pros
it's a rewarding job, staff gets along great.
Cons
i do not make enough money to support myself fully
Group homes and hoe health care for MRDD
Rehabilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHJune 24, 2014
was hard to find a client in my area. The main campus was nice with great updates. They seem to care about the clients.
Nice working atmosphere
Special Events Internship (Current Employee) –  Twinsburg, OHJune 11, 2014
The employees at Hattie Larlham are so nice. I really like working here. They are so friendly and outgoing so it made the atmosphere very nice.
Wonderful place to work and very inspirational environment.
LPN (Former Employee) –  Whispering MeadowMarch 3, 2014
My co workers in this facility were amazing. It was like having an extended family. Everyone is very eager to help each other and provide the highest quality of care to our patients. I perfected my skills in relation to G and J tube feeding and management, peritoneal dialysis, assessment of patients overall wellness without verbal communication, and wound care and assessment. I have grown very attached to my patients in this facility and have a new found respect for this specific population. The work that is done by every department in the facility is above and beyond the standard and I am very proud to have been a part of it.
Pros
amazing staff and population, great experience, very challenging and educational.
Cons
high turn over rates and mandatory double shifts if short staffed.
Fun place to work, but the management is awful
Habilitation Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mantua, OHFebruary 28, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving at 6:30am and getting all 5-6 of my individuals for the day bathed and fed between 8-10, depending on what time they go to school or work. When they get home after school/work I then get them fed and then get them down in their beds and I change and position them. Aside from feeding, changing and bathing them they also have "programs" they do. Some individuals have programs such as a switch where they have to hit a switch in order to make something work, sing, talk etc., other individuals have programs such as stomach lying or side lying where you put them on a stomach lying or side lying positioner in order to stretch out trunks.

The management is awful. They force their full time employees to work one extra shift every other week and if you don't pick up a day from a list then they decide which day/shift you work. The call off policy is also very poor. If you call off 4 or more times within a 3 month period you get a corrective action, it doesn't matter if your sick or you have a doctors note, your automatically written up, no excuses.

My co-workers for the most part are wonderful. They are mostly female, but we do have some male staff. Most of our staff are very committed to their jobs and they love what they do, but there are some that you can tell are only there to make money.

The hardest part of my job is seeing how few families of our individuals actually come in and see them. It absolutely breaks my heart to see how some families just put their kids in our facility and "forgot" about them.

The most enjoyable part of my job
  more... is being able to work with the individuals. They truly are inspirational to me. They do not have one care in the world and they always have smiles on their faces. They make you realize how much in life you truly take for granted.  less
Pros
fexiable scheduler, taking care of amazing individuals
Cons
mandatories, corrective action even with a doctors excuse
Hattie Larlham
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHDecember 2, 2013
I worked here for a little over 5 yrs. Here i took care of the same 5 girls everyday. I did everything with them from brushing their teeth, to feeding and bathing them to taking them to school and do activities with them.
Great Workplace
Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mantua, OHSeptember 20, 2013
Staff takes good care of the individuals, Clients are taken care of daily and their needs are met

2.9