Havertys

Havertys Employee Reviews

knowledable,,commendable, family company of 130 years yet is not the best option for a person under 45
Sales Associate,Sales Manager, Office Associate (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXApril 27, 2015
Pros: great crew, awesome manager, Havertys has been around for 130 years, great company
Cons: health insurance very pricey, hours, commission
engaging with customers, creating designs
co workers are great, some personalities can be challenging but are workable,
managers are great
learn the information on quality product
hardest part of the job are the hours and commission
Most enjoyable is the work environment and meeting the customers
A very pleasant experience. From the employees all the way to corporate it seemed as if it was a very friendly family enviorment.
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee), Louisville, KYOctober 29, 2014
Pros: relaxed enviorment
Cons: too many staff members on non-busy days
Working for Havertys was a great learning experience that I will take with me forever. I learned allot about sales techniques and design fundamentals. The management staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. My co-workers were like family that supported me and cared about me. The hardest part of the job was having long days without many customers while fully staffed. The best part about the job was meeting new customers and making relationships.
Not what I was either hoping for nor expecting.
Sales (Current Employee), Charleston, S.C.October 17, 2014
Pros: healthcare.
Cons: hours
I have developed an incredible patience level.
Wonderful office, design and sales staff.
My overall experience of working at Havertys was dreadful!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Anniston, ALJune 16, 2014
Pros: decent co-workers and free lunches on occasion.
Cons: boring atmosphere, lousy pay, and overbearing manager
If I am completely honest with myself, Havertys was probably one of the worst jobs that I’ve ever had. There were a few good points, but in the end the bad outweighed the good.

Overall, I liked my co-workers. For the most part, everyone got along, and tried to help one another succeed. At times, it really seemed like we were a family. I also liked that they would provide lunch sometimes. Those were always good days!

Then there’s the bad parts of working for Havertys. The number one thing that made this one of the worst jobs that I ever had was that it was so BORING! Maybe it was just me, but I couldn’t find anything at all interesting about furniture or the furniture business. Also, the location where I worked was hardly ever busy. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of days where place was packed with customers. The rest of the time, you might get 2 customers per rep a day.

Another problem is the pay structure. When you get there, they start you off with a guaranteed base pay, $10/hr. at the location where I worked, while you’re training, and you get that for the first 60 days. Then after that, you go to 100% commission with a draw. That might have been alright if it weren’t for the fact that this location was so slow. During slow months, it would be next to impossible to make your sales quota if you are new (I’ll talk more about this subject later). There were reps who because of the draw, wouldn’t even get a paycheck at the end of the month. They were having to live off credit cards. It is absolutely ridiculous to me that someone with a FULL-TIME job is forced to – more... live off credit cards because the company’s pay structure is so horribly flawed.

Another thing that I couldn’t stand is how hard it is for new reps to make it with this company. Most of the people who were employed there had been there for many years, some of which were there for 20-30+ years. They already had a long list of customers who they could pull from when things were slow. The new reps on the other hand could only rely on who came through the door. Most of the people who came through were either coming in for one of the veteran reps or just paying a bill. That got so annoying!

I also didn’t really like how the place was managed. When I went in for the interview, the manager gave me the impression that he was the type of person who would help a rep out when they needed it, but also give them their space. This couldn’t have been further from the truth. He would literally just stand over people and watch them like a hawk. He seemed like some big ogre out on patrol to me. Half the time, I couldn’t even get through with a customer without him calling me over and asking what was going on or him sending some other rep to find out. It got on my nerves so bad! In my opinion, he spent way too much time out on the sales floor trying to get into everyone’s business rather than taking care of his own. At times, just his presence made the place unbearable.

Overall, working at Havertys was a dreadful experience, and I wish that I would have accepted a different offer. I just hope that this review helps someone else. If any one of the issues that I wrote about would be a concern for you, I would urge you to PLEASE reconsider working for this company! Only take this job if it is a last resort and you really need the money or only as a placeholder until you find something better, like I did. – less
Nice place to work
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Selma, TXOctober 3, 2013
Good pay; Good hours; Computer skills needed; nice pace; worth applying for.
Great Co-Workers but at many times is really slow
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Monroe, LAMay 20, 2013
Pros: work with great people
Cons: work every saturday and sunday
Great place to work if you don't mind working every single saturday and Sunday. As long as things were busy the pay is good but times when it is slow the pay ends because you are working straight commission.
Relaxed work enviroment
Regional Shipping (Former Employee), Braselton, GAJanuary 2, 2013
Pros: stock options, employee lunches and birthday meetings
Cons: long days, short break, restrictions on advancment
Arrive by 9 am, open the dock doors for the trucks being loaded that day. Load Semi trailers, stacking and "cubing" by hand to ensure entire load get onto trucks. My supervisor was amazing, knowledgeable, job oriented and looked after his staff.
Hardest part of the job was loading the semi trailers with merchandise of 200+ pieces in the summer time, very hot.
Most enjoyable part was me and my supervisor loading trucks as fast as we could to see if we could be the other loading teams.
Comfortable work environment.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Duluth, GASeptember 4, 2012
Pros: potential for competitive income.
Cons: commission sales that are affected heavily by the housing market.
This was a wonderful company to work for. If you are comfortable with working on commission this job is worth a shot. I found the management to be supportive in helping the staff to achieve their sales goals. Though sometimes slow, there is room for advancement. Also the sales tools provided are top notch and constantly being improved. When its good, its good. Save from your good sales months for your not so great sales months, and you will do fine. Oh and does require patiently waiting for customers to come in but there are ways to use this time efficiently.
It has been a long time since I was there, but it was a fast paced job and paid well at the time.
Furniture Sales (Former Employee), Cedar Park, TXApril 10, 2012
Very competive floor but also friendly.
As with any large group there were ones you really liked and ones with whom you just exchanged pleasantries. (sp)
The expectation that the store always came first in regards to holidays and schedules is probably reason for the high turn-over.
Just maybe....
I think it is a fine store and they offer some great promotions!
employment
forklift Operater (Former Employee), Brazelton, GAFebruary 8, 2012
Pros: more money, benifits, ect.
Cons: none its just a job
benifits and hours of the scheduel are good. good people to work with.

Havertys Salaries