Hawai'i Pacific University Employee Reviews

Great Student Job
Master Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 20, 2017
Great job for students to learn work culture and make connections with the community. Also a good place balance to work to help balance school and work.
My Job at Hawaii Pacific University.
Campus Recreation Coordinator, Office of Athletics (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 14, 2017
Hawaii Pacific University has multiple campuses located on the Island of O'ahu. I worked at both the downtown campus and the Windward, Hawai'i Loa Campus. While at HPU, I took advantage of the 100% tuition waiver and attended Graduate School for one semester. I was laid off from HPU due to funding issues and was not able to continue.

Although I enjoyed going to graduate school at HPU, I did not enjoy working there as much. The salary/benefits were lacking as well as the advancement opportunities.
Great Co-workers
Business office (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJuly 19, 2017
There is no management was so ever. The benefits for family is half your paycheck and the only perks were the days off and the tuition break (if you can last that long). There are no yearly pay increases and there might be a possibility of a yearly bonus. The only way to move up within the company is if you have a degree, which in some cases is understandable, but in others does not.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Health benefits, management
Largest private university in the State
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 28, 2017
In transition from a largely commuter institution to an urban embedded residential campus with the services and facilities to meet the needs of domestic and international students.
Difficult but Rewarding
Writing Mentor (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 20, 2017
You have to like working with a wide variety of people. If you don't want to be a tutor, then this job is not for you. Otherwise, the staff changes as people graduate but they're fun.
Best place to work as an student with excellent people
Admissions Campus Tour Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 12, 2017
Hawaii Pacific University offered me one of the best opportunities in my life. Thanks to the guidance from everyone working in there, I managed to complete my work successfully, efficiently, and better yet, along with the best people in Hawaii.
Inspiring workplace
Adjunct Professor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 2, 2017
Very exciting working environments at HPU with mission accomplishment objectives and goals. Job assignment very clear without any bureaucratic interventions.
not the best college
Assistant Clerk (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 30, 2017
Not a high level college, but due to it being located in Hawaii, it makes it very appealing. great for out of stat students because tuition is the same as in state student
number 2
Financial Aid Counselor (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIFebruary 7, 2017
again no know know clue why i have to do this. a typcal day is filled with work. i learned fun stuff. management could always use that. workplace has work thing.s
Fun and interacting
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 22, 2017
The best part about working at Hawai'i Pacific University was the social aspect; I made lifetime friend. Due to the nature of my job, my communication skills were always being tested tested. Teamwork was the most relevant skill that I learned while working at HPU.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Minimum Wage
tuition benefits
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 21, 2016
If you have a desire to continue your education, HPU offers outstanding graduate assistant positions. Little room for job advancement following graduation.
Pros
Discounted tuition rates for employees
Cons
low salaries, no room for advancement or increase
work study job for financial aid
Athletic Business Manager Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 8, 2016
-going into work and meeting with my boss to see what she needed me to do that day
-i learned to deal with athletic teams expenses when away at games, recording on the computer, filing, copying, printing, dealing with cash to go to the bank
-co workers were welcoming and helpful to me
-hardest part was quitting due to my grandfather passing away
-i enjoyed working for this job because i got to deal with athletics
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Not good for long-term career cosideration
Records Coordinator, Academic Transcripts (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 2, 2016
HPU doesn't not have competitive benefits and compensation. Besides tuition discount, there are no benefits per se.
HPU doesn't allow flexible working hours and it's not really family friendly working place.
Pros
Tuition discount
Benefits
Upper Administration crushes the Aloha Spirit
staff (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 20, 2015
The President is leaving this Spring, hopefully the Board elects a strong leader who understands the Hawaiian culture and market and improves the low morale with faculty and staff. Layoffs and cuts to loyal staff have affected the student experience and at the same time we see lots of money spent on mainland consultants.
Nursing instructor
Assistant Professor of Nursing (Former Employee) –  Oahu HINovember 17, 2015
I taught both clinical and classroom courses in Physical Assessment, Obstetric nursing, Advanced Med-Surg nursing, Community Health, and the Women's Health portion of a Nurse Practitioner program.
Pros
I loved the student interaction.
Cons
A mentor program for new faculty is needed.
My teaching experience has been wonderful in my many years of teaching
i am applying for job consideration at HPU (Current Employee) –  i live in Paradise, California but would move.October 15, 2015
How do I apply to Hawaii Pacific University? I would do quite well there. I love and am used to a mixture of cultures. I had a chance to experience that during my 5 years on Guam.
My typical day of work is hard to define. When I was doing independent study for Butte County Dept. of Education, I taught all subjects, all grades, to mostly high school students who had for some reason dropped out of the regular school system. Some had babies but wanted to finish, some had been born subject to getting hooked on alcohol, some were juvenile delinquents trying to walk the straight and narrow. I loved the variety.
On Guam, I first taught 1st grade students in the school just outside Andersen Air Force base. Most of the kids were little ones of the air force personnel there. I had a great time. Later I taught 5th grade students, many of whom were children of Air Force personnel. I am familiar with military life only as the mother of a son-in-law who fought in Desert Storm and Iraq, and a daughter who is an Air Force Master Sgt. recruiter. On the Island of Guam I was hired as a traveling music teacher, teaching teachers the music to impart to their students. Loved traveling from school to school on that beautiful island.
Several years on Guam I taught English to non-English speaking students, bother on the Jjr. high level and on the high school level. I once had a sophomore class of English where no one in class had English as a first language. I have also done that on the first grade level here in California where all parents were Hispanic.
I am widely experienced and
  more... feel I have much more to offer before I hand up my teaching career. The most enjoyable part of all my jobs has been my association with the students and the impact, however small it might have been, on their lives.
My co-workers have always been thought by me as dedicated educators who would go to any length to make a student's life more meaningful for him. I have many happy memories of my colleagues and still keep track of them even now.
I have done management. I was the head teacher at the Juvenile Hall School in Oroville, California, and ran a summer program of Migrant Ed.
I would really like to be considered and would enjoy moving to a new locations as I did when I moved my family years ago to Guam. I am an adventurer at heart and love watching kids get fired up by a new thought or skill.
Nice manager and team
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 23, 2015
I enjoyed working with such a diverse group of people. I was also able to learn a lot from my manager. Skills that I would apply in the future: problem solving, keep communication high.
Fun place to work at
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 23, 2015
Mornings consisted of inputting applications from new students (HOBSONS system) Lots of filing, creating new documents, making spreadsheets, inventory, sorting mail, sending out mail, etc.

This job I believe, made me very organized. I had to learn how to prioritize each tasks from urgent to least urgent. Since I was at the computer majority of the time, I had to be able to be organized in order to set my goals for that day

Management was amazing! Always positive and easy to approach

Coworker worked as a team. Very friendly and compassionate individuals

Hardest part of job was just all the paper work-- but once I was able to learn how to be organized and set my tasks it was pretty easy.

most enjoyable part of the job was the environment and the people. It really makes a difference when you are surrounded by a team who works together for the same goal.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
better computers
Hpu
University Scheduler (Current Employee) –  HawaiiSeptember 23, 2015
A typical day is robotic with no thinking involved
Learning is at a minimum
Management doesn't seem to be employee friendly
My co-workers are friendly and enjoyable to work with
Being polite to the micro managing boss
Helping the people with their room requests and determining what would be the best fit for them.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad management
Adjunct Writing Instructor
Writing/Literature Instructor (Former Employee) –  Hawaii, and OnlineAugust 4, 2015
Great time teaching face-to-face and online. However, the administration changed their methods and became more concerned with giving the students less education for more money.

Semesters were shrunk down to 8 weeks, but still wanting the same amount of material taught.
Pros
Rewarding work connecting with students
Cons
Corporate mentality infected the administration.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawai'i Pacific University. Our community is ready to answer.

Hawai'i Pacific University Reviews by Location