Hawaii Department of Education

Hawaii Department of Education Employee Reviews

This is my honest opinion.
Substitute Teacher and in other capacities (Former Employee), Maui, HawaiiJune 18, 2014
Pros: the stimulating company and companionship of "my kids."
Cons: principals have a hard job. if they have to choose between parents and subs, parents win. understandable. parents and kids are longterm. subs are shortterm.
I always get in early, in order to be ready when the students arrive.
I learned early that the Hawaii State Department of Education (The System) does not have a high regard for Substitute Teachers. They are considereddisposable. Most of the management (principals) are dedicated to what has to be an often-frustrating job. I found most of my co-workers to be supportive and helpful; we all wanted whatever was best for the kids. The hardest part of the job was teaching math.
The most enjoyable experiences were when I saw students triumph, overcoming their self-doubts.
I loved working here
Certified Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Ewa Beach, HIJanuary 8, 2014
This job is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever experienced. It was very well managed and organized with a great system.
A great place to work to empower yourself to excel and set measurable goals that enhance and enrich the learning environment of the students.
Parent Coordinator (Former Employee), Mililani Town, HIJuly 4, 2013
Pros: empowerment, flexible schedule, management support
Cons: part-time employment
Mililani 'Ike Elementary School allows every employee to excel and grow from the moment you walk into the door. Its not just a place to work, but a place where each employee has a valuable contribution to ensure the success of the school. The Principal trusts his employees to do their job, and the pride emulated from your peers in the workplace shows how much each person cares. We were not just co-workers, but a family who worked together for a common purpose. The most difficult part of the job was knowing I had to walk away due to the relocation of my family. However, I was very fortunate to have the experience in working in a great school, amongst many educated professionals, and look forward to sharing what I have learned in my next career path.
Creative student environment
Academic Counselor (Former Employee), Wailuku, HINovember 30, 2012
Pros: professional development support
Cons: short term of employment
Wonderful and excited youth.
Excellent leadership by principal and other administration.
Supportive work culture.
good part time job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee), mililaniJune 10, 2012
Pros: dont take home work
Cons: no benefits
arrive at 7:30 leave at 2:40
review sub plans left by permanent teacher
take attendance each class period- turn in attendance at the end of the day
little to no interaction with co-workers
most enjoyable part of the job is working with students
hardest part of the job is keeping students on task when they are unfamiliar with you and dealing with students' parents

Hawaii Department of Education Photos