Hawaii Department of Education Employee Reviews

Slow-paced workplace
PTT/TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Waiakea Intermediate SchoolOctober 17, 2017
My job was part-time which was perfect for my situation. I enjoyed working with the Intermediate students and it gave me a sense of fulfillment every time I got them motivated and engaged in their class activities/work. It was also encouraging to work with lead teachers who recognized my presence in the classroom and apprised me of the day's agenda. The hardest part of the job was working with adults who did not seem to care about working collaboratively to enhance student learning and performance. A lot of the employees whom I met and talked to did not feel valued and they were feeling so stressed at work.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of communication from lead teachers and department heads
Good job for aspiring educators
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 16, 2017
Becoming a sub is not easy if you do not have a license however the preparation program will help those interested. Schools were supportive and classroom management issues were not as vast. I would recommend Hawaii DOE jobs.
Substitute
Long-term substitute teacher (SPED) (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 25, 2017
As a substitute my first year out of college I gained invaluable work and life experience working in Honolulu's public schools. The staff is remarkable and resourceful and the school cultures at each school were admirable.
Underpaid for cost of living
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Makawao, HIJuly 12, 2017
HIDOE employees are the worst paid, when adjusted for cost of living at every part of the pay scale. Over the past decade, top down initiatives have added to the already overburdened expectations, with no corresponding increase in spending power of salary, time, or autonomy. However, their Weighted Student Formula does a better job than most school districts of reducing inequalities from school to school. It is not sufficient funding, but it aims to be equitable within the state.
Doing this for the future of American children
Secondary Special Education Resource Teacher (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 28, 2017
One does not get into the field of education to become rich however adequate compensation should be done. Aside from the students the best thing is building relationships in and out of work with co-workers, this can make or break your time as a teacher. Admin is often unavailable so having the ability to speak to someone that can help you is a true asset.
Pros
Healthcare benefits
Good Pay
Part Time High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kea‘au, HIJune 20, 2017
Instructing in an inclusion classroom where all of the students receive proper education. The diversity of teachers in my school setting was beneficial for the studenrts.
Nice coworkers
Art Teacher (Current Employee) –  O‘ahu, HIJune 2, 2017
Majority of the staff are hard working and go the extra mile. I am always learning something from the people I meet during my work day. It is a good part time position.
Good experience
Long Term Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maui County, HIMay 17, 2017
My experiences were challenging and successful. Educating, supervising and motivating students gave me good feelings. Classroom sizes and facilities were acceptable.
Easy to talk to them
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Maui County, HIMay 12, 2017
It was hectic to be on call. I loved being around the children. I went to many different grade levels. There are many different races in Hawaii so you must learn how to get along with all of them.
Pros
Loved being around the kids
Cons
Hard to schedule around your life when being a Sub.
Productive work environment
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 8, 2017
I enjoyed my job very much. The staff, students and people that I worked with were very supportive and cared that I did my job to the very best of my abilities. It was a great place to work.
Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIFebruary 19, 2017
At first I took random calls from the system but eventually found several teachers who liked to work with their own subs. They would call frequently and so now I rarely take a call for a teacher I do not already know.
Pros
Flexible. It worked out great after I decided to go back to school and get my teaching license.
Cons
It can be very unpleasant. Especially grades 7-9 the students can be very difficult, But this was mitigated greatly by working repeatedly for the same teachers, As the students got to know me their behavior rose to my expectations.
Wonderful district to substitute in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  HawaiiDecember 18, 2016
I was able to substitute at many schools across many grades in regular and special education. The administration, teachers, and staff were friendly and helpful.
Productive and fun to work with
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Central District, Oahu, HIOctober 17, 2016
Assumes all duties the regular teacher is assigned to, such as yard duty. Follows the instructions that the regular teacher has left. Makes sure that all supplies are available for the lessons and maintain classroom control. Provides a positive and safe environment for students, and makes sure that the students are staying on task.
Working as a substitute teacher for the DOE is wonderful.
Teacher (substitute) (Current Employee) –  Oahu Island, HISeptember 27, 2016
I love working as a substitute teacher, getting to know the students and teachers is great, the pay is decent, and it allows for freedom to take care of other priorities outside of work.The only change I would suggest is that long-term substitute teachers who have to grade/plan/go to meetings/deal with parents/prepare report cards should be paid the same or almost the same as regular teachers. They do almost 100% of the work a regular teacher does (which is another 8-10 hours more per day than just a one day assignment) and get paid the same as the regular subs. I would stay till 5-6pm each day, take a ton of work home and come in early, just to stay afloat, as a long-term substitute. I loved it, but it was definitely not worth the pay, though it was a great one time experience.
Pros
Great flexibility, enjoyable job
Cons
Better compensation for long-term substitutes is a must.
Working as a substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIJuly 6, 2016
Working as a substitute teacher is very full-filling and satisfying. Giving back to the community where I was born and raised is the best part of the job. Plus I have the feeling that I am contributing to the future of this great community.
What a great atmosphere to start my teaching career!
Middle School Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 2, 2016
This position was at Konawaena Middle School on the Big Island of Hawai'i. The position was 8th Grade Science and utilized the Full Option Science Series (FOSS). Great Experience, Great Staff, Great Academic set-up. There would be a 'mini-break' after each quarter and a six week summer.
Great work environment
Educational Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 28, 2015
A typical day at work was always exciting. You never knew what the day would bring. The students definitely kept me on my toes.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
staff not supportive
On the mark!
Substitute Special Education Teacher DOE (Current Employee) –  Central District K-12July 18, 2014
Special education teacher. usually arrive to clear and well laid out day plans.

Lots of help from all education and administrative co-workers. Wonderful sense of aloha and ohana

Hardest part of the job,"you start over every single day, feeling that community can be difficult.". Best part of the job, the 'ahha' moments.
This is my honest opinion.
Substitute Teacher and in other capacities (Former Employee) –  Maui, HawaiiJune 18, 2014
I always get in early, in order to be ready when the students arrive.
I learned early that the Hawaii State Department of Education (The System) does not have a high regard for Substitute Teachers. They are considereddisposable. Most of the management (principals) are dedicated to what has to be an often-frustrating job. I found most of my co-workers to be supportive and helpful; we all wanted whatever was best for the kids. The hardest part of the job was teaching math.
The most enjoyable experiences were when I saw students triumph, overcoming their self-doubts.
Pros
The stimulating company and companionship of "My Kids."
Cons
Principals have a hard job. If they have to choose between parents and subs, parents win. Understandable. Parents and kids are longterm. Subs are shortterm.
I loved working here
Certified Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ewa Beach, HIJanuary 8, 2014
This job is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever experienced. It was very well managed and organized with a great system.