Hawaii Department of Education Employee Reviews

Working as a substitute teacher for the DOE is wonderful.
Teacher (substitute) (Current Employee) –  Oahu Island, HISeptember 27, 2016
I love working as a substitute teacher, getting to know the students and teachers is great, the pay is decent, and it allows for freedom to take care of other priorities outside of work.The only change I would suggest is that long-term substitute teachers who have to grade/plan/go to meetings/deal with parents/prepare report cards should be paid the same or almost the same as regular teachers. They do almost 100% of the work a regular teacher does (which is another 8-10 hours more per day than just a one day assignment) and get paid the same as the regular subs. I would stay till 5-6pm each day, take a ton of work home and come in early, just to stay afloat, as a long-term substitute. I loved it, but it was definitely not worth the pay, though it was a great one time experience.
Pros
Great flexibility, enjoyable job
Cons
Better compensation for long-term substitutes is a must.
Wonderful district to substitute in
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  HawaiiDecember 18, 2016
I was able to substitute at many schools across many grades in regular and special education. The administration, teachers, and staff were friendly and helpful.
Working as a substitute teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hilo, HIJuly 6, 2016
Working as a substitute teacher is very full-filling and satisfying. Giving back to the community where I was born and raised is the best part of the job. Plus I have the feeling that I am contributing to the future of this great community.
What a great atmosphere to start my teaching career!
Middle School Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 2, 2016
This position was at Konawaena Middle School on the Big Island of Hawai'i. The position was 8th Grade Science and utilized the Full Option Science Series (FOSS). Great Experience, Great Staff, Great Academic set-up. There would be a 'mini-break' after each quarter and a six week summer.
Great work environment
Educational Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIDecember 28, 2015
A typical day at work was always exciting. You never knew what the day would bring. The students definitely kept me on my toes.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
staff not supportive
good part time job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  mililaniJune 10, 2012
arrive at 7:30 leave at 2:40
review sub plans left by permanent teacher
take attendance each class period- turn in attendance at the end of the day
little to no interaction with co-workers
most enjoyable part of the job is working with students
hardest part of the job is keeping students on task when they are unfamiliar with you and dealing with students' parents
Pros
dont take home work
Cons
no benefits
This is my honest opinion.
Substitute Teacher and in other capacities (Former Employee) –  Maui, HawaiiJune 18, 2014
I always get in early, in order to be ready when the students arrive.
I learned early that the Hawaii State Department of Education (The System) does not have a high regard for Substitute Teachers. They are considereddisposable. Most of the management (principals) are dedicated to what has to be an often-frustrating job. I found most of my co-workers to be supportive and helpful; we all wanted whatever was best for the kids. The hardest part of the job was teaching math.
The most enjoyable experiences were when I saw students triumph, overcoming their self-doubts.
Pros
The stimulating company and companionship of "My Kids."
Cons
Principals have a hard job. If they have to choose between parents and subs, parents win. Understandable. Parents and kids are longterm. Subs are shortterm.
On the mark!
Substitute Special Education Teacher DOE (Current Employee) –  Central District K-12July 18, 2014
Special education teacher. usually arrive to clear and well laid out day plans.

Lots of help from all education and administrative co-workers. Wonderful sense of aloha and ohana

Hardest part of the job,"you start over every single day, feeling that community can be difficult.". Best part of the job, the 'ahha' moments.
A great place to work to empower yourself to excel and set measurable goals that enhance and enrich the learning environment of the students.
Parent Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mililani Town, HIJuly 4, 2013
Mililani 'Ike Elementary School allows every employee to excel and grow from the moment you walk into the door. Its not just a place to work, but a place where each employee has a valuable contribution to ensure the success of the school. The Principal trusts his employees to do their job, and the pride emulated from your peers in the workplace shows how much each person cares. We were not just co-workers, but a family who worked together for a common purpose. The most difficult part of the job was knowing I had to walk away due to the relocation of my family. However, I was very fortunate to have the experience in working in a great school, amongst many educated professionals, and look forward to sharing what I have learned in my next career path.
Pros
Empowerment, Flexible Schedule, Management Support
Cons
Part-Time employment
Creative student environment
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Wailuku, HINovember 30, 2012
Wonderful and excited youth.
Excellent leadership by principal and other administration.
Supportive work culture.
Pros
professional development support
Cons
short term of employment

Want to know more about Hawaii Department of Education?

Ask a question
I loved working here
Certified Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Ewa Beach, HIJanuary 8, 2014
This job is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever experienced. It was very well managed and organized with a great system.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hawaii Department of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2