Hawaiian Telcom

Hawaiian Telcom Employee Reviews

Good benefits, hard working conditions
Customer Zone Tech I / Communications Technician (Former Employee), Kaunakakai, HIJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: equipment provided for problem solving is excellent
Cons: company is in flux (changing environment)
A typical day would be challenging due to the job scope that this particular Job title may encounter. You quickly learn how to be an independent learner and problem solver. Most of the work is done independently, but if needed, you may request assistance from a co-worker. Again, the hardest part of the job is the scope of the job title. The most enjoyable part of the job is solving your daily workload in a timely manner.
low pay and bad work/life balance
IT Specialist (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIOctober 5, 2014
SMT gobbles down double digit raises while management throws workers under the bus with indequate staffing and training.
Great introduction to Network Operations Center
Internet Protocol Services Group Analyst (Current Employee), Honolulu, HISeptember 3, 2014
Pros: touch and contribute to every system ht delivers to customers
Cons: shift schedule fluctuates too much
Great introduction to working in a Network Operations Center. I support field technicians with installs and troubleshooting issues. I answer customer calls and perform troubleshooting on their circuits in excess of 250M.
PRODUCTIVE AND FUN ENVIRONMENT
Consumer Sales / Solutions Consultant (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIAugust 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits, lots of sales incentives
Cons: stressful at times
FAST PACED, FUN JOB. GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH, AND NEVER A DULL MOMENT.
fun work place
Business Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIApril 2, 2014
This is the local telecommunications company. They were formerly Verizon Hawaii prior to 2006. This is a fun company to work for with great benefits and very good pay.
Fun Place to work with a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMarch 19, 2014
Every day was a new experience with changing goals. Wonderful co-workers and good management.
Churn Culture
TV Project Manager (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJune 15, 2013
The culture of FAST values could be a great vision.... but the employee churn is too high and the problem employees remain

June 24, 2013

Post not completed.... Strategic Shifts always lead to movement. That is healthy for the company and is best for all. FAST values are having a real positive influence on growth and morale

All in all a good place to learn values
Off line Sales & services Support (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: good job with good management & union support
Cons: people take advantage of that
Competition is fierce; lifestyles are different from when I first started; I'm just glad I got in when I did and the E&T was supreme; Going through changes within the company makes it difficult if you don't go with the flow & change with the times, I'm just glad I got to "let go" and move on with whatever direction the company was going in... made it that much easier to go with the flow than fight the system; I'm enjoying retirement however I need to get back to work and not sit behind a computer all day. I need to be amongst people with busy lives. I need to interact with people on the go.
Management is stressful and not in tune with employees
Sales Engineer (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: salary and benefits
Cons: management inexperience in the telecom industry.
Hawaiian Tel is a 100 Year old telephony company. Their central office services are well managed. Their customer premise equipment division is in the state of turmoil. They have brought in numerous new employees from the main land as they have lost employees locally and the number of companies in Hawaii do not have sales engineers. The company and the sales engineering division is going through changes and will be some time before there is a stable environment to work.

July 7, 2013

OK place to work. Watch-out for egos trying to battle their way to the top instead of focussing on its people. That's why employee churn is high :). Company values are great, except that many of the original employees who created them have left. Now becoming an old schoolbook that no-one has time to read. Unfortunately because they really do stand for something.

well paid/good benefits/chance to advance
lineman (Former Employee), lihueDecember 5, 2012
why are former linemen who took a cash incentive and opted out being allowed to re-apply for new positions that they once held without first considering those new applicants that have applied? A few new applicants have CDL's but weren't even contacted to be interviewed yet these former workers were.

Seems to me that if you voluntarily separated and received a cash incentive, you cannot be rehired for at least a year and then be placed last on the list of applicants.
Nice stable place
Cash Applications Analyst (Former Employee), Honolulu, HIMay 29, 2012
Ok pay, good benefits, job security generally, not uncommon for employee tenure >20 yrs.
An Aloha filled place to work
CARE Advocate (IT Help Desk) (Current Employee), Honolulu, HIMay 22, 2012
Pros: cafeteria, excercise facilities, located in downtown honolulu
Cons: no parking downtown
Working in customer service, you are always going to be faced with challenges and new experiences through out each and every day, but the same routine is followed, and that's making sure our customers are served with compassion and with aloha care. I have learned much patience in dealing with many types of incoming calls ranging from pleasant conversations to irate scenarios where still as a customer support specialist its important to maintain integrity and professionalism. I'm happy to be apart of a team that works together and that no matter what happens during the day we are in it together, working together with care for customers and for ourselves.

About Hawaiian Telcom

No "coconut telegraph," Hawaiian Telcom, through its operating subsidiaries, provides modern telecommunications services to residential – Read more

Hawaiian Telcom Salaries