Hawaiian Telcom Employee Reviews in United States

Good company to grow with
Specialist - Sales Compensation (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 21, 2016
From start to end of day, I am constantly busy with spreadsheets and sales information to ensure accuracy. I learned to be detailed in my work. Management is good to their workers. Co-workers are of the same mindset - very busy. The hardest part of the job is the commute to work. The most enjoyable is it is all-consuming and challenging.
Pros
In-house training; in-house eatery, gym, lots of work
Cons
Not much free time to relax
Battered wife syndrome
CSSC REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 6, 2015
I loved the people that I worked with. I feel the company wasn't there for the customer. The management was only there to look out for their job. There is a big conflict of interest between the customer and management.
Great people!
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 12, 2015
People that you work with always there to help you with new program that were installed. The workplace environment were secure and safe place to work.
Pros
Great work experience.
Cons
Don't have any.
Good benefits, hard working conditions
Customer Zone Tech I / Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Kaunakakai, HIJanuary 30, 2015
A typical day would be challenging due to the job scope that this particular Job title may encounter. You quickly learn how to be an independent learner and problem solver. Most of the work is done independently, but if needed, you may request assistance from a co-worker. Again, the hardest part of the job is the scope of the job title. The most enjoyable part of the job is solving your daily workload in a timely manner.
Pros
equipment provided for problem solving is excellent
Cons
company is in flux (changing environment)
low pay and bad work/life balance
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIOctober 5, 2014
SMT gobbles down double digit raises while management throws workers under the bus with indequate staffing and training.
Great introduction to Network Operations Center
Internet Protocol Services Group Analyst (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HISeptember 3, 2014
Great introduction to working in a Network Operations Center. I support field technicians with installs and troubleshooting issues. I answer customer calls and perform troubleshooting on their circuits in excess of 250M.
Pros
touch and contribute to every system ht delivers to customers
Cons
shift schedule fluctuates too much
Productive and fun environment
Consumer Sales / Solutions Consultant (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIAugust 30, 2014
Fast paced, fun job. Great people to work with, and never a dull moment.
Pros
great benefits, lots of sales incentives
Cons
stressful at times
fun work place
Business Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIApril 2, 2014
This is the local telecommunications company. They were formerly Verizon Hawaii prior to 2006. This is a fun company to work for with great benefits and very good pay.
Fun Place to work with a lot of opportunities for advancement.
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMarch 19, 2014
Every day was a new experience with changing goals. Wonderful co-workers and good management.
Churn Culture
TV Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 15, 2013
The culture of FAST values could be a great vision.... but the employee churn is too high and the problem employees remain
All in all a good place to learn values
Off line Sales & services Support (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 9, 2013
Competition is fierce; lifestyles are different from when I first started; I'm just glad I got in when I did and the E&T was supreme; Going through changes within the company makes it difficult if you don't go with the flow & change with the times, I'm just glad I got to "let go" and move on with whatever direction the company was going in... made it that much easier to go with the flow than fight the system; I'm enjoying retirement however I need to get back to work and not sit behind a computer all day. I need to be amongst people with busy lives. I need to interact with people on the go.
Pros
good job with good management & union support
Cons
people take advantage of that
Management is stressful and not in tune with employees
Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJanuary 7, 2013
Hawaiian Tel is a 100 Year old telephony company. Their central office services are well managed. Their customer premise equipment division is in the state of turmoil. They have brought in numerous new employees from the main land as they have lost employees locally and the number of companies in Hawaii do not have sales engineers. The company and the sales engineering division is going through changes and will be some time before there is a stable environment to work.
Pros
salary and benefits
Cons
management inexperience in the telecom industry.
well paid/good benefits/chance to advance
lineman (Former Employee) –  lihueDecember 5, 2012
why are former linemen who took a cash incentive and opted out being allowed to re-apply for new positions that they once held without first considering those new applicants that have applied? A few new applicants have CDL's but weren't even contacted to be interviewed yet these former workers were.

Seems to me that if you voluntarily separated and received a cash incentive, you cannot be rehired for at least a year and then be placed last on the list of applicants.
Nice stable place
Cash Applications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 29, 2012
Ok pay, good benefits, job security generally, not uncommon for employee tenure >20 yrs.
An Aloha filled place to work
CARE Advocate (IT Help Desk) (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HIMay 22, 2012
Working in customer service, you are always going to be faced with challenges and new experiences through out each and every day, but the same routine is followed, and that's making sure our customers are served with compassion and with aloha care. I have learned much patience in dealing with many types of incoming calls ranging from pleasant conversations to irate scenarios where still as a customer support specialist its important to maintain integrity and professionalism. I'm happy to be apart of a team that works together and that no matter what happens during the day we are in it together, working together with care for customers and for ourselves.
Pros
cafeteria, excercise facilities, located in downtown honolulu
Cons
no parking downtown

2.7