HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Transcript Specialist
Administrative Secretary/Transcript Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 15, 2016
the last 7+ years as an Administrative Secretary/Transcript Specialist at Hawkeye Community College, Waterloo, IA for the Registrar. I am an important member of the student records and registration team working on multiple projects in an organized and timely manner, which includes assisting students, faculty and staff, assisting the Director with preparation of annual budget, and maintaining calendar of schedules, appointments, deadlines for our department.
INSTRUCTOR/TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IASeptember 15, 2016
I really enjoy teaching and helping students with daily projects and work. It is also great to have new technology and equipment. This place has some of the best people working for them. This is one of my favorite jobs I have ever had. e
Pros
Clean
Cons
Not Full Time
Cafeteria services decent employment for full-time student
Dish Room Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 1, 2015
Washed any dirty dishes produced by the cafeteria staff and customers. Not much supervision given or needed by management. Co-workers decent enough to do the job and be responsible with their tasks and hours. Not for anyone looking for full-time employment or a living wage with benefits.
Needed knowledge and experience to do the job
Educational Technologist (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 29, 2016
Working at Hawkeye was an enjoyable job. A person needed to know a lot about the equipment we maintained as well as distance education. I learned a lot about LCD projectors and distance education programs. I enjoyed working with the college instructors. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the equipment problems.
fun
student (Former Employee) –  student lifeJuly 23, 2016
fun place to work. Student life is always active and has lots of fun activities to participate in. I enjoyed working here.
Productive and fulfilling
HSED/ABE/Continuing Ed Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 23, 2015
This is an employer who is dedicated to the improvement of students' lives and wants to see them succeed. Unfortunately, they often get mired in bureaucratic policy issues that actually prevent this process from happening as efficiently as it could. Additionally, their treatment of their instructors isn't always great as they expect you to work, put in hours creating and distributing educational materials without paying you for the work as they will not pay an employee more than part-time hours. This is the case no matter how much one works! And every year the administration expects it's staff to accomplish more and more with fewer resources all the while, refusing to pay it's employees for more than 29 hours a week regardless if this is an accurate reflection of the time and energy it takes to accomplish the goals.
Pros
Fulfilling work helping students improve their lives
Cons
Difficult administration and a tendency to abuse part-time staff.
Hawkeye Community College
Welding Instructor (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 30, 2016
My day starts an hour before classes begin, opening up the lab, powering up equipment and doing a quick materials inventory. A walk through of the shop to look for any hazards and inspect equipment and lab to insure its safe use.
I proceed to my office to check my computer for emails from students and/or faculty/administration. I then log into CANVAS to check my calendar to review my lesson plan for that day.
Proceeding to the classroom for attendance, using CANVAS, and a short 10-25 minute informal meeting to discuss the days goals and expectations. A quick Q&A and then to the lab to proceed with the days lesson.
Students receive one-on-one and group demonstrations, repeated as needed. My time is spent the entire day, in the lab with the students.
At the end of lab time, after a 30 minute fire watch at which time the students take their lunch break, we meet for lecture.
After lecture, my time is spent reviewing and grading student lab work, book work, tests and quizzes as well as preparing a lesson plan for the next day that adds to what has been learned thus far.
In the 7 1/2 years that I've taught at Hawkeye Community College, I've learned just as much from the students as I've taught them. I've learned patience. I've learned that not everyone learns in the same way. I've learned that mistakes, when made, must be identified and owned up to. Most importantly, I've learned that not everyone is able to achieve the same results with the same method of instruction. Understanding the individuals in the classroom will make for a more successful group.
  more...
I've been lucky to have a great co-worker to work with. One that is very like minded and understands the goal of our job. We both also understand, there is more than one way to achieve the same goal and working together to find a solution may mean conceding your own idea. Leave your ego at the door as it will affect the "product".
The hardest part of my job is when a student that really wants to become a welder, but no matter the amount of extra time in the lab, one-on-one instruction or blood sweat and tears, still cannot weld.
I've been in a position, before becoming a teacher, where I had to aid in the firing of three individuals. I can honestly say that was easier. When they were fired, they deserved it. But when a student fails and they've honestly done their best, that is hard.
As for the most enjoyable part of the job? The moment when the student brings you a part and say "I can't do it wrong!" After all the time spent practicing, slowly getting better and better until they can't do it wrong, that is an awesome event. The excitement they feel is one that I felt as a student myself, in that same very lab. Every time they reach the next milestone, that is enjoyable.
Pros
The students
Cons
The administration
Fun and educational
Natural Resource Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo iowaSeptember 17, 2015
Working prairie gardens, and making other educational gardens. Management was friendly and helpful. The worst part was the pay was n.t much and it was only seasonal.
Pros
Outdoors in the summer, and helping others
Cons
seasonal
Fun workplace, with a supportive staff.
Student Ambassador Leader (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 31, 2015
Willing to work around college schedule or any other circumstances. Supportive staff willing to help you out in any situation. If you love people, you'll love this job.
Great School
Business & Community Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar FallsDecember 3, 2014
Hawkeye offers a great education to their students and also a rewarding place to work. The education that my husband received from Hawkeye has allowed him to get a wonderful job. I also have received great training from Hawkeye and it is really Veteran friendly.
On your feet at all times
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 1, 2014
It's ok for a security job, but my background is IT and this was just a job to earn a paycheck.
Pros
get to drive a security car
Cons
no lunch break, schedule changes daily, can't plan for life events, too many cons to this position
School
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, iaOctober 6, 2014
going there was a great experience, I graduate with my AA degree in liberal arts and I enjoyed my teachers and meeting new people they was very helpful
family like setting, coworkers were helpful.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAFebruary 27, 2013
nice group of workers. team work was amazing! place was like second home to all the worekers
Enjoyed being in the Secretary Atmosphere
Secretary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJanuary 9, 2014
Very good boss and co-workers to work with i felt like i belonged while i assisted the secretary in various tasks in the office.
fun atmosphere
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 24, 2012
helped two professors with makin and correcting tests, help co-peers with decisions with classes or scheduling.
Pros
fun atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE. Our community is ready to answer.

HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Reviews by Location