HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE Employee Reviews in United States

Transcript Specialist
Administrative Secretary/Transcript Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAApril 15, 2016
the last 7+ years as an Administrative Secretary/Transcript Specialist at Hawkeye Community College, Waterloo, IA for the Registrar. I am an important member of the student records and registration team working on multiple projects in an organized and timely manner, which includes assisting students, faculty and staff, assisting the Director with preparation of annual budget, and maintaining calendar of schedules, appointments, deadlines for our department.
Productive and fulfilling
HSED/ABE/Continuing Ed Instructor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IADecember 23, 2015
This is an employer who is dedicated to the improvement of students' lives and wants to see them succeed. Unfortunately, they often get mired in bureaucratic policy issues that actually prevent this process from happening as efficiently as it could. Additionally, their treatment of their instructors isn't always great as they expect you to work, put in hours creating and distributing educational materials without paying you for the work as they will not pay an employee more than part-time hours. This is the case no matter how much one works! And every year the administration expects it's staff to accomplish more and more with fewer resources all the while, refusing to pay it's employees for more than 29 hours a week regardless if this is an accurate reflection of the time and energy it takes to accomplish the goals.
Pros
Fulfilling work helping students improve their lives
Cons
Difficult administration and a tendency to abuse part-time staff.
Cafeteria services decent employment for full-time student
Dish Room Worker (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAOctober 1, 2015
Washed any dirty dishes produced by the cafeteria staff and customers. Not much supervision given or needed by management. Co-workers decent enough to do the job and be responsible with their tasks and hours. Not for anyone looking for full-time employment or a living wage with benefits.
Fun and educational
Natural Resource Technician (Former Employee) –  Waterloo iowaSeptember 17, 2015
Working prairie gardens, and making other educational gardens. Management was friendly and helpful. The worst part was the pay was n.t much and it was only seasonal.
Pros
Outdoors in the summer, and helping others
Cons
seasonal
Fun workplace, with a supportive staff.
Student Ambassador Leader (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAAugust 31, 2015
Willing to work around college schedule or any other circumstances. Supportive staff willing to help you out in any situation. If you love people, you'll love this job.
Great School
Business & Community Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cedar FallsDecember 3, 2014
Hawkeye offers a great education to their students and also a rewarding place to work. The education that my husband received from Hawkeye has allowed him to get a wonderful job. I also have received great training from Hawkeye and it is really Veteran friendly.
On your feet at all times
Security Guard Officer (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IANovember 1, 2014
It's ok for a security job, but my background is IT and this was just a job to earn a paycheck.
Pros
get to drive a security car
Cons
no lunch break, schedule changes daily, can't plan for life events, too many cons to this position
School
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, iaOctober 6, 2014
going there was a great experience, I graduate with my AA degree in liberal arts and I enjoyed my teachers and meeting new people they was very helpful
Very Helpful with students
Student Life Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IAMarch 18, 2013
A typical day at work would be doing table tents, moving sandwich boards, answering telephone calls and transferring them, learning more about student activity life. Management I would say is awesome. If I didn't understand something they would take the time to explain it further or help me with what I am doing. I don't have any co-workers at the time unless you count all three of my supervisors. I am a work-study right now so it's just me and them. The hardest part of my job is getting out and talking to people. I am learning how to be a people person and I feel I am doing better. Or when we set up for certain things. I have to climb latter's or carry some heavy objects but its really not that bad. The most enjoyable thing I like is that I can go at my own speed and how everyone around is just friendly. We can listen to music while working on a spreadsheet or doing table tents. Or just helping someone out on a daily basis.
family like setting, coworkers were helpful.
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAFebruary 27, 2013
nice group of workers. team work was amazing! place was like second home to all the worekers
fun atmosphere
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, IAJune 24, 2012
helped two professors with makin and correcting tests, help co-peers with decisions with classes or scheduling.
Pros
fun atmosphere