Haymarket Media Employee Reviews in United States

Overworked, underpaid, laid off
Editorial (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 25, 2016
This company has meager benefits--at best. After two years of working there, the company contributed a whopping $230 to my 401K. Health benefits are expensive. The workload was unbearable, and the management lazy, outdated, and, most of all, mean-spirited.

Turnover is ridiculous, and everyone is looking for a job.
Pros
Location; close to the one train.
Cons
Meager benefits, outdated philosophy, disparaging management.
Success blinds you to an awful lot of problems
Web Producer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2016
Functionally, the company is a mess, at least in the publishing side. High demands that increase as the company grows, and no interest in thinking through processes that are clearly out of date. The technology stack the company runs on is ancient and locked in. Any attempt at rocking the boat will have you rocked off.

There's a lot of people at Haymarket who seem to genuinely care about what they do. How they deal with the institutional issues is beyond me.
Pros
Regular office parties and rewards for teams
Cons
Locked in to ancient tech stack, growing too fast with no time to rethink how the company works
Fast growing company
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2016
Fast growing ... a little too fast. Long hours for many. Good place to be for a web editor but not if you are in accounting or print production.
Pros
People
Cons
No time for lunch. Home late every night.
I provided excellent service and made good numbers.
Inside Sales Executive, Telemarketer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2015
Global media company publishing magazines and websites in multi-industries...Automotive, IT, Medical, Marketing,Style, Good people doing important work.
All about work and how to make money for upper mgmt
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 5, 2015
You are overworked and unappreciated at Haymarket. You get promoted based on who you know and not your work accomplishments. I saw many talented people leave because they were getting no where in the company. I was a loyal employee for close to 10 years. There were no issues until my review one year where my manager gave me all ones, on a scale of 1 to 5. There had been no discussion of any performance concerns leading up to the review. I was given 45 days to improve or I would be terminated. I decided to leave on my own. They did the exact same thing to a couple other employees I worked with. At this company, it's who you know and who you suck up to. While I was there, I saw someone go from a temp to program manager, to senior PM, to associate director and then director in 4 years, ahead of someone who has been there for 8 years and started the division! She knew who to become friendly with! Another director was a friend of the VP so she moved from PM to SPM to Associate Director to Director in 2 years.
Pros
the people are like family
Cons
favortism by upper management
Nice workplace, lots of flexibility
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northfield, ILMarch 29, 2013
Wonderful workplace with friendly co workers in a cozy environment.
Pros
cozy workspace
Cons
healthcare
Amazing management and great culture
Admin (Current Employee) –  New YorkFebruary 21, 2013
The management really listens and responds to the employees. People care about each other and the work environment is fun.
independently owned publishing company
art director (Current Employee) –  new york, nyMarch 12, 2012
great company, good benefits, convenient location. This publisher has a number of different titles across a broad range of subjects.