Hays CISD Employee Reviews

Fast paced learning
Print Shop Operator (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXAugust 21, 2017
My first hired job assignment. I learned how to take instructions quickly and apply them. Thankfully I have that type of skill. I had no problem learning how to do simple maintenance of the equipment.
The deaf education department has a terrible coordinator
Deaf education teacher (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXAugust 19, 2017
Overall, the district is is good but I'm unfamiliar with how general education teachers were treated as I was in the deaf education department. The coordinator was terrible: does not care about staff or students. She got into legality issues because she lied about many things.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Lack of support
Rewarding Place to work
Transition Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXAugust 18, 2017
I enjoy working for the district because each day is a rewarding one. I may not always see it at the time but as the years have past hearing from past students and how well they are doing or hearing thank you for helping me with this or telling me that. The hardest part is making everyone happy and understand I am here for the students needs, if their needs are not met my job is not done. The management has been good and I have learned a lot about working with students that have disabilities.
Pros
Rewarding and Fun
Good company to work for, except for how your pay is divided up for the whole year. Makes it hard financially
Cashier/Cook (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXJuly 27, 2017
A fast pace environment, high stress level; loved it made my day go by very fast. My boss was great, she taught me a lot about the business, and management. Workplace culture was great, always looking to improve the quality of the food, and children's best interest. The hardest part of my job was not sufficient employees to do the daily task required. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing the children's faces, and the excitement of what to choose; and the compliments we received.
Pros
You can choose to work summer or have the whole summer off, and still receive pay
Cons
You don't have a choice as to how you want to get paid
Wasnt for me
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXJuly 27, 2017
Didnt get enpugh hours and the dont come through with what they promise. The hours flunctuated and you had a big break in between your scheduked hours of driving.
Very fulfilling and challenging work
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXJune 9, 2017
My work at SMS has made me a better person. I'm more confident in my work and more independent and self reliant. I will be able to apply my patience, diligence, and pleasant demeanor to any future employment.
Pros
lots of vacation days
Cons
we sometimes have snakes sneak in from the back woods!
Substitute Nursing
Nurse (RN - Substitute) (Current Employee) –  Buda, TXMay 10, 2017
This is a great PRN job. But if you really need hours you won't get them. You are a true PRN. I work maybe 1 to 2 times per month. All the clinics are amazing to work at. The staff is great at all schools.
Good overall curriculum plan, specific school was difficult.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXApril 30, 2017
I did not like the administration of my particular school. I felt like I was always on the verge of "getting in trouble" when, ironically, I wasn't getting much help with discipline for the students. It starts to wear a person down after a while, to be treated as a child when you're supposed to be responsible for them.
Pros
Teaching always has it's rewards if your heart is in the right place.
Cons
Long work day, extremely high expectations with few rewards or words of encouragement.
Good part time job
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXApril 28, 2017
Typical work day is pretty fast moving, there is a lot to do in a short amount of time, although fellow employers are willing to help out as a team. There doesn't seem much room to move up in the company but the fact that pay can be prorated throughout the summer seems to help.
TA for Sped
PPCD Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXApril 5, 2017
I loved working for the district. I would love to get back in but it's very hard. Great time with the kids and learning so much about this department.
Ok
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Joslin ElementaryFebruary 11, 2017
Austin ISD was my first teaching job. At first it was a great place to be. But it change quickly after the principal got sick..Principal can make or break a school.
Pros
fun people
Cons
lack of discipline
The nicest people to work with on a daily basis.
Special needs driver (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXFebruary 3, 2017
Everyone at Hays CISD is very friendly and helpful. Great place to work. Sorry I had to leave, but moved to Florida to be with family. From all of the drivers and monitors to upper management they all are fun to be around.
Pros
working enviroment
Cons
some people nit pick
fun and easy
Guest Teacher/Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXDecember 7, 2016
I worked as a substitute teacher and I loved every bit of it. I was called for jobs in a timely fashion and work was steady. the job requirements were easy and fullfilling
This was just a prn position, ran school clinic
Substitute School Nurse (Former Employee) –  various schools in Hays County.February 4, 2016
This was a prn position, please see resume. I ran the school clinic when the regular nurse couldn't be there. I took care of injuries, gave medications as ordered and did the other things a school nurse would do.
Great experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Kyle, TXAugust 30, 2015
I did my intern at Lehman high school and it helped me get ready for real life classroom situation: classroom set up, student interaction, interruption...
Pros
great experience
Cons
Long commute
Great place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Kyle and Buda and Northern San Marcos TexasAugust 21, 2015
Apply at Austin ISD if you want more money, you start at $80 per day and it never goes up. Also you have to have 30 hours of college credit to apply there. At Austin you don't have to have credit and after 30 days it goes up to $100 per day and then after 60 days on the job it goes up to $125 a day. The good thing about Hays is that you know everyone if you want to get hired there as a full time teacher and if you want to stay out of the city another good thing is that you don't have to answer personal questions about yourself such as own up to every time you've been arrested.
Pros
Small town feel
Cons
Low pay
Amazing Students
Teacher of Students with Autism (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXMarch 12, 2015
I would like to have the expertise to effectively and permanently change the standard of living for those affected with Autism or developmental disabilities. Every day is different in content but the same in what the goal is.
Pros
Support Staff
Cons
Healthcare
Fast paced from start to finish of day
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Buda, TXJuly 24, 2013
Learned working in a commercial kitchen environment as a team member of a staff of five workers. The most enjoyable part of the job was serving the students and feeding them wholesome and nutritious food. The hardest part of the job was cleanup as we never had time to complete the task inside our time window.
Pros
Work hours worked with kids schedules
Cons
Communication between multi-cultural community
School Nurse Substitute :)
School Nurse Substitute PRN (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXDecember 26, 2012
I like working for Hays CISD. As a substitute nurse I rotate locations within the school district and still feel like I am part of a team. Nursing supervisors and colleagues are just a phone call away; very approachable and kind in providing assistance when needed. Also the rest of the school district staff is rather engaged and helpful.
Pros
feel like i am part of a team, staff is kind in providing assistance when needed.
Cons
unlike other school districts, work day starts at 7 am and some campus nurses don't schedule a lunch hour
Nice co-workers who are helpful to new employees.
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Kyle, TXSeptember 1, 2012
I've only been driving the bus for 1 week. My back is bothering me from bouncing in the driver seat on bumpy roads and not having lumbar support. The air conditioner is not working properly, so it's hot and uncomfortable on the bus with 40 - 60 children riding along. I'm not going to trash the job because it's just not for me, but if you need some pocket money, this is for you! The most enjoyable part of the job is clocking out....lol