HAYWARD UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT Employee Reviews in United States

Rewarding environment to work in.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 5, 2016
Productive fun environment. An opportunity to give back to the community and assist students to excel in the educational environment. Also an opportunity to help prepare students for future endeavors and to adjust and overcome challenging social and economic conditions.
Pros
Many and various resources for training, and employment opportunities available for students to tap into!
Fun, fast-paced, hands-on learning, and teaching environment.
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 8, 2016
Prepared weekly lesson plans and homework with the teacher, maintained students personal progress records (i.e. report cards, tests)
• Assisted in time management and scheduling within the classroom as well as a variety of related duties upon the teacher’s request
productive and fun
Custodian/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 15, 2016
Interacting with kids and staff daily while cleaning and setting up classrooms. The company is well organized and give subs plenty of opportunity to pick up hours.
Poorly Incompetent and Untrained Leadership
School Principal (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CADecember 1, 2015
The admin staff at district does not have enough experience and superintendent does not have any education credentials. A perfect storm that never goes away in this school district. As many teachers and parents have said the school board does not have the majority to change it and get rid of unqualified personnel. It is a crony political hiring place.
Pros
Next to Major highways and BART
Cons
Poorly trained and incompetent leadership
Very fun and interesting due to working with elementary aged children.
Noon Supervisor and Traffic Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 25, 2015
morning traffic before school starts included managing traffic congestion , crossing all students, parents, and staff members.
At lunch i supervised all students while in the cafeteria eating lunch, enforce all cafeteria rules, dismiss students to lunch recces and supervise all students while at recces.
Pros
having my foot in the door with the school district.
Cons
not enough pay or hours
Had an exciting work experice as it was my first summer job during High School
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 8, 2015
I was introduced to many new tasks daily such as working in Food Nutrition or office. I learned how to write official reports, speed up my typing, filling, faxing, and so on. Enjoyed accepting or rejecting free lunch to students based on parents' income. The hardest part was to quit as it was a summer job for two months.
Pros
few breaks, worked in different departments
Cons
no benefits or future opportunity due to summer job.
Enjoy the friendly staff
Para educator Severely Handicapped (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 3, 2015
The hourly pay was great.Competitive job opportunities for on-call staff. Fun work place with supportive empolyee staff.
Pros
lots of breaks
Cons
expensive healthcare
Not bad if you can handle stress
Faculty (Current Employee) –  Hayward CaAugust 7, 2014
If you can easily deal with gossip, drama and inefficientcy then this work environment wont get to you. The pay is decent, has job security with the district, retirement, and some other perks time and again. Most of the time the kids are behaved and each day goes by smoothly. From my experience, the places for improvement are the management handling of and individual personalities who like creating and stirring drama. Things could be more streamlined and efficient if more action was taken over coddling to the few who create stress.
Pros
job security and perks
Cons
inefficient management overall, drama and stress vs pay.
The position regarded education and growth. I met that challenge.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJuly 30, 2012
Hayward Unified School District was a wonderful experience. The Training department and staff were all professionals. Typical day at work: Pick-up and dropping students at their perspective schools safely and in a timely manner. I learned safety precautions from Highway Patrol. Management were all capable and positive. My hardest part of the job was ensuring safety measures were adhered to in on and around the vehicle. The most enjoyable part of my job: I worked independently; driving my own bus daily. I received excellent benefits and salary
Pros
excellent in-town schedule
Cons
weekly cleaning of your vehicle
A fun Enviroment with possible growth.
CHILD NUTRITION ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CANovember 1, 2015
HUSD is a great school district. You just have to pick the department you want to work with. I enjoyed working with the children. I enjoyed working with
Productive and fun workplace to socialize with other people
Tennyson Farm Intern (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 10, 2013
At the Hayward public library I would help inform parents and their children on the Reading Summer Program and help them fill out the applications online. I learned more about the benefits in my community. I worked with a lot of different people at a desk when signing families up for the program, and I learned how to work with different kinds of people. The hardest part of the job was talking to families who were foreign. The most enjoyable part would be encouraging children and teens to invest in reading more during the summer.
Pros
community service credit
Cons
location of the library from my home
Hayward is a Good Place to Be
3 Grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJune 3, 2014
I have terrific management and fantastic colleagues who inspire me daily. A typical day at work is often not typical because I'm working with people and each of them are individuals so from one day to the next their needs and moods change. The end goal is the same however, to have learned successfully in a safe atmosphere and carried out a functional workflow system to facilitate this. Additionally, behavior management comes greatly into play here because there is often much mediation involved during the day. Kids need to be kept interested and involved in every lesson to be their most productive selves and this goes hand and hand with choosing the best actions when it comes to behavior a lot of the time. The hardest part of the job is watching a child go through pain from their home life; the best part of the job is being there for them and wearing the hat of therapist, social worker, human resources director, or whatever the moment may entail to best assist them through a rough spot so that they may walk through it and come out feeling secure.
Challenging and rewarding
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Supportive and inspiring co-workers. Creativity encouraged.
Pros
job security, compensation
Already reviewed
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAJanuary 16, 2015
hayward unified school district is a great place to work if you are tough. kids in this area at most schools are disrespectful and are sadly full of apathy.
Pros
one day jobs
Cons
no benefits
fun place
Para-educator (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 13, 2013
benefits are ok, but deductions are off the hook. have enjoyed working with kids, they will make your day after long stressful day, fun place to work
Pros
holidays paid
Cons
little pay after all taxes
Amazing Place where I got to empower the youth
Youth Enrichment Program Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 22, 2015
Working for the Hayward Unified School District has been one of the most rewarding things I've done in life. The children were wonderful to work with.
Great place to work if you love kids
Campus Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 12, 2012
Pay is respectable. Kids keep you young, holidays aplenty but benefits come out of pocket.
Fun and Enriching
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAMay 9, 2013
It's a fun job especially when the students participate in the activities we provide. I learn how to deal with certain students and patience. My co worker is an easy person to communicate with. Hardest part of my job is getting students to get involved in certain programs. Most enjoyable is when kids help out and do what they are suppose to. When they enjoy what we offer and take advantage of it.
Pros
comfortable enviornment
Cons
no opportunities to move up
Working with our future
Noon Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CaOctober 23, 2014
Working with children gives me a keen sense of freedom and gratification. To see children learning and exploring is a privilege and an inspiration to rediscover the innocence of myself.
Hayward Unified School District-As old school as it gets.
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAAugust 11, 2012
HUSD is a very conservative little school district in Hayward,CA. Many teachers remain there until retirement is due. They also seem to hire many new teachers about every 5 years. Thus, there must be a high turn over rate for teachers at some point and time in their employment while teaching for HUSD. I see things from a 3rd person perspective as a very long time substitute teacher. I have seen many teachers come and go. Just at times in my need for a reference they seem to mysteriously be replaced by new employees who don't know me from Adam. Thus, job security for me is only as secure as the administrators employment duratipon. When new administrators take over at schools previously manned by one's that were familiar with me, and my teaching style, then I feel that I have to re-aquaint myself all over again with all too familiar schools which were old school to me previously. As a sub , it's like being on a ferris wheel that goes round and round and new people continue to enter and ride for awhile , while others egress. Meanwhile I remain the entire time, just Listening and becoming observant of subtle changes in the system. For example Ala Co Dept of Ed, where I taught for 7 years in a row, decided to require new subs to have current CPR . Prior to my taking a vacation from this site they hired subs to teach, and the security personnel was in charge of any of that stuff. Now, just more excuses to prevent very busy subs from other districts from being hired there. CPR classes take time, extra income,since it's not an "On the job" Training benefit. Also CPR is now even more  more... difficult for persons like myself who are challenged with asthma and the 30 compressions and two breaths just about makes me keel over during CPR class every time. Yes some standards have improved but others seem to have been improvised to save the dept extra money. It all depends upon how one sees the Big Picture. I see with a 3rd Eye.  less
Pros
conservative district
Cons
dusty classrooms in the older buildings, even new classrooms need a good floor cleaning daily.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HAYWARD UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT. Our community is ready to answer.