Hazelwood school district Employee Reviews

Hazelwood School District gives you the opportunity to meet and interact with a diverse group of people with a variety of backgrounds.
substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOJanuary 25, 2017
Upon entering a building you are always cheerfully greeted by the Office staff. They make you feel welcomed and supply you with the information needed to reach the classroom you have been assigned to for the day. Teachers throughout the building greet you with a smile as you make your way to your room. Everyone offers to assist you if you have questions or need help. The principle usually stops by to introduce himself if you did not meet him in the Main Office. Lesson plans are usually well written and self explanatory. The hardest part of the assignment is usually quickly learning the names and seating of the students. The most enjoyable part of the assignment is being able to help students understand something they may have been having difficulty with. Often times it only takes teaching something from a different viewpoint to help them grasp the concept.
Pros
I can visit all the schools in the district.
Cons
I'm not able to return to buildings to see completed projects.
What Did I Do?!
7th Grade Tier 3 Reading Teacher (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJanuary 18, 2017
This is by far the worst place I've ever worked. I am so unhappy working here. There are tremendous racial issues and hostility toward people of color, but it is obscured by tokenism. I hate this district and I do not recommend any person of color to work on the west side of the district.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Racism
Custodian
Lead Custodian (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJanuary 14, 2017
Being a custodian was the same as the lead position only less responsibilities. We still had to clean classrooms and detail extra during the summertime. I just wasn't in charge of supplies
Student Teaching
Student Teaching Intern (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MODecember 28, 2016
I had a wonderful student teaching experience. It depends on the teacher, administration, students and parents. The stars just lined up right for me.

Thank You God.
Pros
13 min from home, nice co workers. Great team, had loads of fun.
Cons
No pay
Poor Management- No Employee mistreatment protection!
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  MissouriDecember 1, 2016
Run like a mom and pop shop. Some people are employed based on personal friendships and relationships while others are treated incredibly poor. Rules change like the weather in accordance to how the director feels that day. If you're pals with a person in leadership, you'll advance before someone with more seniority. Otherwise they're claiming seniority means eveything ( except when its helpful to someone who isnt a part of the phony buddy system). Complaints result in having your job threatened. There is no one at the top, who can help because they're too busy being loyal to a friendship instead of accessing mistreatment of employees. The benefits are nice. Pay is competitive. It can be decent if you're able to cope with being treated unfairly, having an extremely harsh, arrogant and common acting superior figures. If you can get pass being spoken to disrespectfully by someone who doesn't seem all that educated, you'll be fine. Otherwise use it as a stepping stone to something bigger and better elsewhere before it destroys you! Focus on the kids and the goal of education & safety. Don't allow the negativity to break you because they'll try.
BENEFITS
Cons
MANAGEMENT!!!
Fun and everchanging workplace
Teachers Aide/Building Aide (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOSeptember 7, 2016
Working for Hazelwood school district provided multiple times to grow as an individual. It provided stability as well as change. It was nice working with a small group of people who truly understand how to help and be a part of a team.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
Fun Place to Work With Excellent Benefits!!!
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 21, 2016
Nice place to Work. I love working with kids so this job is a plus for me! Wish the pay was a little higher! The healthcare benefits are awesome.
Pros
Holidays Off
Cons
Low pay
Great school district
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJuly 10, 2016
Hazelwood school district was a wonderful school district in which to work. They appreciated their staff and recognized those who went above and beyond the daily expectations.
environment
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 27, 2016
Hazelwood School District was a very friendly environment. The worked with your schedule and during the holidays staffed showed that they appreciated their staff.
Great Organization to Work for!
Recruitment and Talent Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 6, 2016
This job has has taught me a lot about supporting and helping people. I have had great leaders who also helped me grow. The School District is moving in a great direction and is growing.
Wonderful Diverse Experience
School Guidance Counselor, K-12 (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOMarch 15, 2016
Excellent experience in Progressive school district. Many opportunities to participate in program development. Opportunity to utilize clinical experience . Opportunity to address trauma concerns in students and community. Professional Development opportunities exist.
Pros
Contempoary strategies in Education
Cons
flexible days for working, HR is really helpful.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 29, 2016
I really enjoy the change in scenery going from school to school. i learned how to adapt to the changing environments quickly. Some days would bed easier if I had a set schedule but overall i enjoys the flexible scenes, students, staff, and schedules
enjioy being positive role model for students
In School Suspension Instructor (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 15, 2015
the job can be rewarding, but pay for work is inadequate. ive learned that students who are not prepared by parents at home often don't succeed at school.
Lots of opportunities
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 13, 2015
Hazelwood is a nice place to work. It is a very big district and there are lots of opportunities for everyone. It is a very culturally diversified place.
loves the community and the people who work in it.
Director of Transportation (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 27, 2015
Great place to work. Encouraging environment for advancement. additional education encouraged. very flexible. long work day, but makes up for it in days off to spend with the family. hardest part of the job is keeping customers happy. Most enjoyable part of the job is keeping customers happy.
Pros
ample time off, decent pay, great upper management
Cons
stressful
Great career!
Elementary teacher (Former Employee) –  Jury Florissant MOOctober 17, 2015
I had fun while teaching children and working as a team with other teachers. I was able to use my talents and abilities to the maximum.
Nice Job To Have For Those Who Work at Night
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOSeptember 16, 2015
There are several schools in the district that are worth working at. There are also a number of schools I won't step foot in. There is a huge lack of discipline among the high schools. Students who continue to break the rules always seem to get another chance. Administrators could be more harsh on those who continuously windup inside of detention and in school suspension. As a substitute, it seems that when you document a case of bad behavior the student usually gets the benefit of the doubt.
Pros
Breaks, Networking, Chose jobs you want to do
Cons
Lack of support from administrators at certain schools
Its a nice company to work for
Cook (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOSeptember 1, 2015
You always stay busy, the management is fair, good co-workers, nothing really hard about the job. I enjoy feeding the students.
Pros
the lunch is free, but not all that great
Cons
the lunch could be longer
Productive with assuring that stations were clean and ready to serve food
Food Preperationer, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJune 15, 2015
A typical day at work is pretty busy. Making sure that all the stations were clean sanitized, and ready to place food into, so that it can be served to every child. Ive learned to pace myself, as well as working more together as a team. The hardest part of my job is when a child doesnt have enough money for food that every other child eats, The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to put a smile on every child's face that get's their lunch.
Ridiculous!
Middle School Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJune 3, 2015
This is NOT a good school district. The management is not good, the parents and students run the district, and there is so much harassment, slander, and backstabbing going on!

Overall, these people should be ashamed of how they treat their employees.
Pros
good retirement plan
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hazelwood school district. Our community is ready to answer.

58%