Hazelwood school district Employee Reviews

Lots of opportunities
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 13, 2015
Hazelwood is a nice place to work. It is a very big district and there are lots of opportunities for everyone. It is a very culturally diversified place.
loves the community and the people who work in it.
Director of Transportation (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MONovember 27, 2015
Great place to work. Encouraging environment for advancement. additional education encouraged. very flexible. long work day, but makes up for it in days off to spend with the family. hardest part of the job is keeping customers happy. Most enjoyable part of the job is keeping customers happy.
Pros
ample time off, decent pay, great upper management
Cons
stressful
Great career!
Elementary teacher (Former Employee) –  Jury Florissant MOOctober 17, 2015
I had fun while teaching children and working as a team with other teachers. I was able to use my talents and abilities to the maximum.
Nice Job To Have For Those Who Work at Night
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOSeptember 16, 2015
There are several schools in the district that are worth working at. There are also a number of schools I won't step foot in. There is a huge lack of discipline among the high schools. Students who continue to break the rules always seem to get another chance. Administrators could be more harsh on those who continuously windup inside of detention and in school suspension. As a substitute, it seems that when you document a case of bad behavior the student usually gets the benefit of the doubt.
Pros
Breaks, Networking, Chose jobs you want to do
Cons
Lack of support from administrators at certain schools
Its a nice company to work for
Cook (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOSeptember 1, 2015
You always stay busy, the management is fair, good co-workers, nothing really hard about the job. I enjoy feeding the students.
Pros
the lunch is free, but not all that great
Cons
the lunch could be longer
Productive with assuring that stations were clean and ready to serve food
Food Preperationer, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJune 15, 2015
A typical day at work is pretty busy. Making sure that all the stations were clean sanitized, and ready to place food into, so that it can be served to every child. Ive learned to pace myself, as well as working more together as a team. The hardest part of my job is when a child doesnt have enough money for food that every other child eats, The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to put a smile on every child's face that get's their lunch.
Ridiculous!
Middle School Social Studies Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOJune 3, 2015
This is NOT a good school district. The management is not good, the parents and students run the district, and there is so much harassment, slander, and backstabbing going on!

Overall, these people should be ashamed of how they treat their employees.
Pros
good retirement plan
Cons
everything else
Taking care of children in a school setting, taking care of my own office and keeping it up to date
School Nurse (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 13, 2015
Setting up office to prepare for anything from giving out medication, caring for the ill child from sniffles, fevers, children with diabetes to as serious as seizures at school; the injured child from scratches to broken bones. Calling parents as needed. Keeping ill with fever students in the office until can be picked up by parent. Called ambulance as needed if unable to contact a parent and student considered in serious condition or at parent request (done only twice, once due to uncontrolled seizure and unable to contact parent, the other was a broken bone, parent was at work and wanted ambulance called and would meet at hospital parent requested). All visits made to the nurse's office by any child was recorded and placed into student's medical record. Taught a care of teeth class to kindergartners and a growth and development class for the girls from 4th to 6th grade. Boys taught by male PE teacher. Did vision testing on the odd grade students. Called Special School District to make arrangements for hearing testing on all students. Parents were notified by written forms if child was found to have a vision or hearing problem. Kept up with this to be sure problems were looked into or taken care of. Checked each child's vaccination history and sent out notices to parent(s) if there was a vaccine needed. Did a Kindergarten round-up every year to allow parents to sign thie child up for the next year and the nurse checked if the proper vaccines had been received or let parent know about the required vaccines for the incoming Kindergartner. Office was boxed up and everything put  more... away for the summer so that nothing could be taken during the summer. All medications brought in by parent at the beginning of the school year were returned to the parent at end of the school year with a letter reminder that a new order from the physician is required for student to take medication at school next school year. Learned how to take care of children no matter what the problem, how to talk to and care for the parent(s) in an appropriate manner, it is their child. Head nurse was wonderful, easy to get along with and able to ask any question needed to do the job properly. Hardest part of job was on occasion the inability to get a hold of an ill child's family and being unable to do anything for the child except cool cloths to help with fever or be there when having stomach or intestinal issues and then trying to keep hydrated with chipped ice or water sips, or talking to family who could not pick up their child due to whatever reason but still cared for child best as I could as stated before. Sent home a letter with all children with fevers that they must be without any fever for a complete 24 hours before returning to school. Not always followed and would always have to call and have child picked up and taken back home, parent not always happy about this. Loved working with the teachers and non-teaching staff. Was like a family. The most enjoyable was being allowed to work with children in the school setting for over 10 years.  less
Pros
Working daytime hours with weekends, Holidays and summers off.
Cons
Not getting paid when off for long periods of time, such as winter and spring breaks and the summer.
I enjoy working with children and staff and public, making a difference in other's lives.
Registrar/Secretary (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 4, 2015
As challenging as my current position is, I have learned to manage my time and multi-task making the most out of the day. I enjoy seeing the fruits of our labor when students attend our school then move on to the next level then return to report how well they are doing in adulthood.
Hazelwood School District
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hazelwood, MoMay 1, 2015
Great place to work and I enjoy working with all my co-workers.

Help assist teachers, staff, and principle.

I enjoy helping the students and the parents.
Workplace Environment
Instructional Specialist/Coach (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, Mo 63031March 18, 2015
A typical day would be for me as an Instructional Specialist/Coach was to come in and first make sure that we had coverage for the day...(i.e. lunchroom, classroom and outside) then I would check my calendar to see what I had scheduled for the rest of the day from doing lunch duties, observing teachers, giving new parents a tour of the school, doing small group instruction, etc). From doing these things and more on a daily basis I learned that organization is the key and that sometimes everything won't always get done in a day; there is tomorrow.
Many of my co-workers were great but there was always one or two that I had to do whatever it took to make things work with them and for them. The hardest part of my job was realizing that I could not always make everyone happy.
The most enjoyable part of my job was working with students in small groups and working along side those teachers that needed help with classroom management and lesson planning/organization. I also loved when teachers would ask me to come in and teach a lesson.
Pros
enjoyed working with the teachers, students and parents
Cons
never enough time to get things done
productive workplace
Teacher Assist Inschool Suspension Detention (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOFebruary 8, 2015
I worked in the Inschool Suspension Room plus afterschool detention. This was one of the hardest jobs that I have worked.
A good place to work.
cafeteria worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2015
Preping and serving food for the children was satisfying. Manager needed more training-it was her first year. The co-workers were friendly.
Fun
Webmaster (Current Employee) –  St. LouisDecember 24, 2014
Cool job, but wish we got holiday breaks paid for Teachers assistants, and greater pay. Overall good place to be and kind people.
na
Substitute Teacher/ Clerical Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2014
Follow the instructions of the teacher and make sure all the students are safe and respect each other as well as myself.
Hazelwood School District Security Officer
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOOctober 19, 2014
I was responsible for maintaining the safety of students, faculty, and district property. I aided students with school events, helped and escorted parents with directions around our facility, reported to school administration and county law enforcement if needed, I also enforced district procedures and expectations around campus grounds.
Great Place to Work
Substitute Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  st. louis, moAugust 17, 2014
Great benefits and a team work environment. Management is always willing to assist with any issues at hand.
Productive environment, working with school children Elementary-High School
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 28, 2014
On an average day, my work would begin with my starting my bus, and performing all safety checks, documenting mileage, gas, and oil levels. My first pick-ups, were Hazelwood West H.S. students, after completion, I picked up Hazelwood West Middle students, and finally my elementary students. When you work with children, you learn something new everyday, but I managed to get them all safe and sound to their assigned drop-offs with little to no incident (among them.) I was in constant contact with Management all during my trips via radio. I experienced outstanding co-worker relationships. The hardest part was the summers, trying to get the kids home in the heat, as the bus I drove, had no A/C. I would have to say, I loved the weekend field trips (mostly H.S) sports events, especially in the Spring.
Pros
i would have to say the pay and the hours were more than reasonable.
Cons
i would have to say, the boarding of my ice cold bus in winter, getting to work early enough to run it until the heat was sufficient for the children.
Great place to get classroom experience
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOJune 22, 2014
Great place for a future teacher to gain classroom experience
Pros
large area always allowed for daily work
Cons
bad attitudes from kids towards subs
Good school district to work for
Student Transportation Professional (Former Employee) –  Florissant, MOMay 1, 2014
I enjoyed working for this district and the department I was in. I left because my family and I moved out of the area.