HBCS Employee Reviews

Very Busy, Day flies by
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 17, 2016
Must like working in a corporate atmosphere.
Bonus are a plus if you can reach them
Benefits are good.
I you like working collections, this is the job for you.
Pros
benefits, lunch hour
Cons
graded every week on production and quality
Productive and fun place to work
Patient Account Rep (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 29, 2016
HBCS is a great place to work if you are goal driven and like to be challenged. During my time at the company, I was able to learn about healthcare while using my collections background.
HBCS also offers great tuition reimbursement, along with a strong career path (all of the supervisors in my area were promoted from within). If you are looking for a promising career and longevity, HBCS would be great place for you to work.
Pros
Fun Company Events - Great upper management
A great place to learn the healthcare revenue cycle and collections industry.
Patient Account Representative III (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DESeptember 1, 2016
They really hold your hand as you learn the complex world of hospital customer service. Great monthly incentive program gives you the opportunity to earn additional bonus each month, That really comes in handy at holidays or vacation time. They also have a good tuition reimbursement plan - so you can go to college while working and HBCS pays for it! That beats having to pay back student loans!
Pros
Training program for new staff!
patient accounts
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEDecember 12, 2015
verified patient benefits....verified insurance copay, deductible, and out of pocket expenses..
created and updated records by verifying patients addresses, phone #s, DOB, ID#s,
effective dates of policies
obtained payments over phone
did hospital and patient refunds and adjustments
Pros
worked with some really nice peopole in my dept
Cons
management very negative
Okay at first
CSR (Bilingual) (Former Employee) –  DelawareSeptember 5, 2016
I've never worked for a company that emphasizes great customer service, yet repeatedly sets you up to fail until this one. It's like being asked to mop an entire building with a toothbrush. They say it is light collections, but setting a monthly goal and outbound calling people at 8AM does not qualify as light, nor great customer service. The really tricky part is that while you are contacting a patient regarding a bill, the hospital client forwarded incomplete information and now you are contacting aforementioned patient attempting to collect on an incorrect amount so guess what you're doing at 8am? It became annoying when 95 percent (I am not exaggerating) of my calls were telling patients you are sending their account for review, yet they already received the bill and are now worried AND sick. So the real question became, wasn't the patient's account reviewed and/or adjusted BEFORE you're calling them at 8AM and/or 6PM?. Not everything is perfect, I understand. That example is not the reason I left, this is.

Work/life balance is skewed towards work and any life events would either be missed or you would have an unexcused absence on your record. Even if you have to miss an hour of work, with a doctor's note and a broken leg, still a full occurrence. If you do not have paid time accrued, they can do you the favor of extending "credit" (which is having a negative balance in paid time off). If you do have paid time off accrued, it's someone you'll likely never meet that decides whether your request for time off is approved. So they do tuition reimbursement? Fantastic
  more... until you realize that every Friday you have to come in at 8AM after doing an 11-8 shift on the other days. So going to school as an adult learner working any other shift than 8AM to 5PM will be extremely difficult. I left due to them giving new hires these shifts, while long term employees are waiting months upon months. In fairness, you are SLIGHTLY compensated for the inconvenience.

All in all, I learned my lesson. This is a stepping-stone job. A career is only possible here if you are not set up to fail and are an entry level member of the workforce.

FYI-- the reviews that are extremely positive seem planted, I have not met anyone in the customer service department that is enthusiastic about working here let alone two. Funny how they were former employees.
Pros
They pay on time
Cons
Non existent work life balance
Stress stress stress
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 4, 2016
most enjoyable part of job was lunch.
management is under pressure from under management,
which is under pressure from the hospitals.
No body wins,
CSR - collections, is one of the worst jobs I ever
had.
Pros
MONEY
Cons
everything else
Hard place to work for
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJuly 21, 2016
Did not care about anything but them selfs. The pay was good but management was scared to speak up for their employees or they would say there only worried about themselves cause they have bills to pay
Great Work culture
Accountant - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CANovember 17, 2016
The director is highly Loveable and Motivated which brings lots of positive energy in the team. It is perfect place to work.
Pros
Just an awesome place
Cons
commute
Staff
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 22, 2016
Not a good place for growth, management staff is there to cover their behind.

Most enjoyable part was working with the other contracted company that was there.

Loved those once a month luncheons.
Pros
Corporate office is in Delaware!
Cons
It used to be the bonuses....
Love this company!
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEAugust 26, 2016
I love this company, job and the people here. I've learned so much and know that I would continue to grow. I would recommend HBCS as a good place to work without reservation!
Pros
Strong team atmosphere

Want to know more about HBCS?

Ask a question
Poor lack of help for the employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEApril 6, 2016
Fellow coworkers are very nice people and helpful. Management need to recheck what they should be providing for their team, instead of thinking they're above anyone. They think the employees are supposed to be robots and not get off out of their cubicles. They have no sense of empathy for the patients. Company just care about to collecting dues. They provide incorrect information in able to hire.
Enjoyable co workers, and acceptable compensation
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, MAAugust 14, 2014
A typical call center environment with a slight lack of call center experienced Mangement. Exceptable benefits package with lackluster insurance benefits. Great daily workplace environment with co workers. The hardest part of the job was mentoring existing employees unable to grasp the concept of the daily workflow and a slight lack of management with regard to continuing education and ongoing mentoring.
Pros
Great Sick/Vacation time, respectable hourly compensation
Cons
micro management, lack of call center experienced management
A wonderful working experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Castle DEApril 6, 2013
Work day was inclusive of making calls on autodialer and receiving inbound calls to assist customers in setting up payment for medical bills. Through this experience, l learned the different types of insurance and hospital protocols that are available and how they are processed.

The management team all were very helpful and available to workers and customers. The hardest part of this job was handling customers who were not able to pay due to economic recession. The most enjoyable part was coming up with solutions to assist those same people.
Pros
great pay, benefits, and pto
Not Applicable (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJune 17, 2016
Did not enjoy working here. The culture is grey (extremely boring). This is not a company that foster employees. It is strictly a customer based model.
Cons
Strict, boring, etc.
A hostile place to work
Senior Appeals Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 18, 2015
An extremely tense work environment run by micromanagers.
No room for advancement and very little job security coupled with low employee retention rates does not make for a very good company.
Management seems to thrive on creating a hostile work environment.
Pros
N/A
Cons
Compensation, work environment, management
Learned a lot from working for this company.
Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Castle County, DEMarch 1, 2016
I learned a lot working for this company. I enjoy helping people so this was a great job for me. Unfortunately there was not much room for advancement.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
No room for advancement
worse place to work
Insurance Representative (Current Employee) –  New Castle, PAMarch 20, 2016
You do not get proper training You must meet quota's or risk losing you job. Management has their favorites. You are not allow to talk with your coworkers
Would not recommend anyone to work her
Pros
Cons
over all bad place to work
not for me
Bilingual Patient Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 5, 2016
I do not think the supervisors are appropriate nor professional. Advancement is not consider until a year or so working in the job, even when you could qualify. Very negative atmosphere.
horrible company. Management is uneducated and useless.
Exceptions Representative (Former Employee) –  New Castle, DEJune 25, 2014
I worked here or 3 years. Staff i s nice but management is horrible thy have no experience in motivating a team. Micromanaged and no work/life balance. Absolutely no flexibility. If you get an offer run as far away as possible. Operations manager is a complete nut job. You will never get anywhere in this ccompany. They look for yes people and work you like dogs. Management stabs you in the back to cover their own mistakes. Cameras are in the office just too see if people are were they are supposed to be. I don't know a single happy employee.
Pros
it's a paycheck.
Cons
everything
Not too shabby
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEJanuary 16, 2016
room for growth if starting from the bottom of the barrels (so to speak). Every easy to climb the ladder if your determined... The collections aspect of it can be intimidating. Supervision and assistance can't be far and few but it's common sense and self explanatory! for the pay its worth it.
Pros
Wages, growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBCS. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6