HBI Employee Reviews

A benifial and hard working company
Apprentice Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, MDAugust 14, 2016
A typical day for me would start with a safety meeting to go over the areas we need work in. Then we would review blue print and be assigned positions and task for the day. Last but not least at the end of the day wed talk about what we accomplished and what our next project would be.
Pros
Free Lunch, and upbeat inviroment, Health Care benifits and paid days off
Cons
N/A
A great Learning & Training Enviornment
Electrician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 9, 2016
Class is from 8:00 am to 3:20 pm, when you have Chapter assignment and on hands tasks to do in and out of the classroom setting. I learned how to hook up; S1, S2, S3, S4, receptacles, GFCIs, test receptacles and so much more. My teacher made it feel like a actual job environment. The other students were very enthusiastic about learning. The hardest part about the job would understanding the language of the Electrical world. The most enjoyable part about the job would be the hands on work realizing you have the capabilities to do it.
Information of my position in the workplace
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 27, 2016
Installation tubs, showers ,sinks toilets, and providing on-call maintenance/repair service on campus. Installed 14'' storm sewer pipe and catch basin , steam units heaters, and air-line system, including compressor . Experienced all phases of construction from foundation, to rough-in, through finish while working with class-mates to build new office building on school grounds.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
breaks every 3 hours
Learned an amazing amount threw their trade school
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  OklahomaMay 28, 2016
Go to class and enjoy the learning possibilities.

Electrical Wiring

My Instructor was very hard working to get us to learn the trade.

You meet all kinds of people.

You have to be willing to learn.

It is a really fun and exciting trade.
Pros
Free Schooling
Cons
N/A
Overall Great expirence
Facility Maitntenance (Former Employee) –  Cherokee, NCJune 3, 2016
Great experience, Instructor really cares about your goals
and motivates you to achieve them.
I've learned Carpentry
Plumbing
Painting
Concrete
Drywall
Landscaping
Electrical
Pros
Housing, Stipend, Free food
Cons
6 month program
Great place to start your plumbing career.
Plumber Pre Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Coeburn, VAFebruary 28, 2016
Great atmosphere and great structure, employees are all good at what they do. Day to day was hectic but payed off in the end , management is top notch
Pros
good training
productive and fun
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, ArJanuary 22, 2013
walk down isles and inspect product being made. I learned defects in panty hose. Management always came every morning to check and see how things were goin and tell us good mornin with a smile. Co-workers were friendly, nice and understandable. The hardest part of the job was tagging a bag with the product in it and letting the person know that checked product before I would go around and let them know they had to go through it for defects. The enjoyable part of the job was having fun and always on my feet and moving around.
Pros
hr paid lunch, great medical benifits
Cons
no cons
not a good place to work.
Production Associate (Former Employee) –  Kings Mountain, NCJanuary 31, 2015
Horrible place to work. They dont pay well, management is very unfriendly.No job security you can have your job one day and the next be laid off. Also not fit for anyone who has dusting allergy.
Pros
Cons
short breaks, bad heathcare plans, hours a week varies from 20 to 48 without warning
Not an average job, its a training program
Electrician's Helper (Current Employee) –  Cherokee, NCOctober 6, 2015
you work everyday just like you would any other job with about 20 other trainees and an instructor. While you are technically a government employee through the forest service and JCCCC, you don't really receive pay, its a stipend of $23.01 after taxes Biweekly. But the whole purpose of this company is to get you job experience so that you can begin working in the trade of your choice with experience already at an entry level position. Your living expenses are paid for and you get 3 meals a day free but you are required to live on campus. overall its a great program and you do get a large sum of money when you complete the program depending on your accomplishments while attending.
Pros
completly free job training, housing and meals
Cons
living in close quarters with other trainees for long periods of time, including sharing rooms with up to 6 people.
A typical work day an why I like eletrical work
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  PAFebruary 2, 2015
The work place was relaxing an humble there help from the management was in well detail an percise when needed, the co-workers was spaceful,calm an very clean, new assingments was hard atfirst but after an example it was all understanding eveyone did there part aswell,an the most enjoyable part was the type of friends you would make at the job.
Pros
FREE LUNCH
Cons
SHORT BREAKS BUT GOOD
Overview
Electrician Trainee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 2, 2015
The experience was great, I was able to do some projects around our center. I worked on a fire alarm system for a gym, I ran CAT5e wire for computer lines. my instructor was great, she taught me a lot. My peers were great workers. The best part of the job was just having some work to do, the hands on experience is just great.
i was needed more money
Knitter, cook , picker packer, aid, meat cuter,, (Former Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCDecember 22, 2015
they where not want to gave any more then they did .so I had a there job to go to so I went to it.then I work for the knitters and they was layoff people then . then I find me other job to go to because I have to pay my bill some how.
Productive, Safe
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Simpsonville, KYAugust 5, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of an 8 1/2 hour day starting with a safety meeting/briefing at 8:00am then splitting into teams to get the job done.

Learned how to measure correctly, level drywall, windows, and doors, install everything from studs to drywall.

Co-workers were easy to work with, and trustworthy with equipment and on the job site.

Hardest part of the job was finding a stopping point to go to lunch/having to go to lunch.

Most enjoyable part was Fridays, getting to see the family.
Pros
Free lunch, free transportation
Cons
Short Breaks
Great place to learn Construction / Facilites maintenance
Shop Foreman and Tool Man Student (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJNovember 13, 2015
The facilities maintenance / construction trade is awesome here and the learning process is well pasted ,. Covered pretty much every part of construction.
Pros
free lunches, good peoples .
Cons
low pay
Hard working, Great with people,Fast and a Team Player.!!!
Electrician Assistant (Former Employee) –  PAAugust 11, 2015
Ok a Typical day at work really thier is no typical day at wrok we always going something different every day.

And i Learned Electrical
Wiring Certification/Home Builders Institute
Installed & connected conduit (piping), junction boxes, 10, 8 & 12 gauge wiring & electrical fixtures
Inspected & tested electrical systems (use voltmeters)
Planned, laid out & drew sketches of electrical systems
Basic electrical troubleshooting
Repaired & replaced faulty wiring, equipment & fixtures
Adhered to all safety practices & inspection guidelines
Lockout /tag-out procedures; Installation of GFCI Systems
Replaced light switches & outlets
Used hand tools, power equipment & measuring devices
Worked from ladders & cleaned electrical shop
Safety Service Installations
Scaffolding
Installed power & panel boxes.

Installed underground feeds to new lighting systems for safety and visibility. Tested all outlets and switches for function, any damage or non-functional switches, fixtures or covers were replaced
Installed Security cameras to improve the safety of the students and building
School grounds- Trenched 100 feet to lay PCV pipe for future light poles
4th floor of DVJCC I pipe bended to send new wire feeds to install exit lights and emergence lights
Installed Cat 5 & Cat 6 .

Management: I was Foreman so i was Showing and given Orders out. Maken sure that everything got done that had to be finish in that day. Ordering things for the Shop...

The Hardest thing i did was pipe bending but i got it now.

And the one Enjoyable
  more... thing i love is Wiring something bout it.  less
Home Builders Institute
Electrician Helper (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2014
HBI Job Corps provides the framework needed to build a successful career in construction – trades training and employability skills.
A Fun place to work
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Rural Hall, NCSeptember 11, 2013
A typical day at work at HBI consisted of picking up my pick tickets out of my folder and picking orders, walking the whole day. Managemt at HBI was not friendly, I was a Temp with no way of getting hired on. My Co workers were all friendly no problems. The hardest part of the job was moving continiously with n o air conditioning in the building, I loved this job because of my co workers
Pros
able to purchase Hanes Brand merchandise at steep discount
Cons
walking all day long and no air conditioning
good teacher
student (Current Employee) –  cherokee,ncAugust 6, 2015
I was a student and the teacher was a great teacher and I learned a lot from him everyday I learned something new and It was never a day where I was bord or wanted to quiet
Pros
didnt get paid alot
Cons
good breaks and good teacher
It's a great company to be a part of.
Pre-Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 31, 2015
My overall rating is above all standards. The skills I have now I can do anything I put my mind to. In the future I will highly recommend it to my kids.
Productive And Great Workplace
Pre-Apprentice Plumbing Program (Former Employee) –  Brunswick,GaJuly 22, 2015
Its very Good, Learned How To Use Threading Machines, Doable Projects. Very Friendly Workers, Learning The PPE, Being Able To Learn Certain Procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HBI. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2