HCL Technologies Employee Reviews

Enjoyable co-workers, learning new makets
Senior Business Analyst - Direct Energy (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 22, 2017
Most days at HCL are fast paced with many different things competing for my attention. This environment has helped to discern what are proper priorities and what less important. The best thing about HCL are my co-workers and my boss.
Pros
Good benefits and excellent co-workers
Cons
Poor training department
Do Not Work Here!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJuly 19, 2017
The main problem with this company is management. You and your entire department can do everything right and make the company a lot of money, then someone in India will mess something up and you lose your project. This happened on every project I was on. The company is losing their Gov't contracts and have no incentive to hire American employees. Please don't misunderstand, They are not racist. They pay the Indian employees next to nothing so it is cheaper for the company. It is just business, but that works out bad if you work in the USA.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
everything else
Run as fast as you can
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJuly 19, 2017
Run as fast as you can. The most horrible place to work . Bad management. Bad pay and the worst work and life balance atmosphere you can imagine. Please run and keep running
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
Horrible management
Good Secure Life to work at HCL
Critical Incident Manager - Specialist (Former Employee) –  INJuly 18, 2017
Too many politics at Managerial level. However, work life balance is good and needs a major management re vamp. People dependent than process. Compensations benefits is not upto market level
Na
Practice Manager (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 16, 2017
Company offers lot of freedom on what you want to do. Great place to grow as a professional and get new opportunities.
Company's processes are weak though and you have to figure out things as you go along
Very unorganized for telecom
Telecom Engineer (Current Employee) –  Port Gibson, MSJuly 10, 2017
Need better understanding of American culture. Top executives are off shore and are not familiar with American culture and work ethics. Company tries to work everything as a call center.
One job with several responsibilities
Executive - Facilities and Administration (Current Employee) –  Duluth, MNJuly 9, 2017
Working Independently is excellent.

New challenges daily.

Excellent opportunity for advancement and re location possibilities!

Continual training and development.
Exposure to different streams of work.
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 8, 2017
I have been working at HCL Technologies (More than a year)
Pros
Hard working, fast paced environment
Opportunity to travel (mostly out of your own pocket, of course)
Cons
Not concerned what so ever with making sure paychecks are received
If you are unfortunate enough to be a sub-contractor to HCL, you are lower than dirt
Only supplying one tech to a contract that obviously needs more
Advice to Management
Quit making issues overly complicated, just resolve them
Quit passing blame
Actually look out for the lower level tech
Freedom at work
Senior Technical Leader (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CaliforniaJuly 8, 2017
Company gives full freedom at work which helps to have balance between work and life.
The management is very supportive and address the concerns of the employee well and support on up skill of the technology.
deliver proper projects to customers
Technical Lead (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WAJuly 6, 2017
I got a lot of experience in HCL

Handel a lot of challenges to deliver projects to customers
Customer satisfaction
sharing new skill between team member
Good transfer knowledge
Lack of planning
Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 6, 2017
Management has no idea on planning for future prospectives which leads the entire to struggle on various factors of hiring. The process is not in place which leads to huge gap between delivery and recruiting teams.
Many great opportunities and they aren't quick to release after contract is over
Sr network engineer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAJuly 5, 2017
HCL has a rare benching policy so you don't have to worry about getting the boot after your contract is over if you performed well. They will try to find you another position within the company however, the hiring managers aren't very responsive. In fact the management in general is not very communicative and there is a language challenge. Otherwise good company. Good benefits.
Pros
Bench time, good benefits, good opportunities throughout company
Cons
poor communication -- language barriers, slow to respond, perhaps due to extreme time differential
Time out rooms provided. Allows techs to compose and regain their thoughts
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 29, 2017
A typical day at hcl entailed end user support on hardw, softw, and netw incidents, asset management, updating tickets. I learned to set up user profiles, reset of passwords and many other aspect of support
Pros
showing appreciation for work well done.
Cons
not getting parcel on time. waiting for components to resolve incidents
Don't stick around
Senior Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington StateJune 26, 2017
HCL's corporate policy is "Employees First" and you will see this motto everywhere, on their website, banners, coffee mugs, flyers, and even on TShirts. You will probably never see it in practice tho.

When I interviewed to convert to full time employee from contingent staff my interviewer started the interview by telling me that I'm not very good at what I do and that this is the best offer I'm going to get so I might as well take it. I was young and stupid so I fought for better pay, didn't get it, and accepted the offer anyway.

HCL has invested 2 years into me as a FTE and 3 years prior as contingent staff. They taught me everything I know and allowed me to start an actual career. They have given me absolutely no reason to stick around and they seem to have no interest in keeping me around, which is why I'm on Indeed.
Pros
They pay you.
Cons
They don't care about you at all and never will.
Tough environment but good company as a stepping stone to something bigger and better
Director - Client Solutions (Enterprise Architect) (Current Employee) –  NJJune 26, 2017
Unlimited vacation time means that you have to be available 24x7, even when you are on vacation. Conference calls scheduled at all hours due to global workforce distribution.
Decent pay and benefits, horrible management and culture
Remote Desktop Support / L2 Niche Skill Admin (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIJune 24, 2017
A typical day at work for me isn't bad at all, as I work from home almost exclusively. It has made things much more bearable, as I don't have to see or speak with the management directly. All of my team with the exception of one are offshore in India; the other is about 45 minutes away, so all communication is either through Skype or phone. Same with the end users, as they are spread throughout the state. Basically, I either remote to them when I first call or Skype, or set a followup with them for a later time to do so. I remote into the machine, determine if I can fix it, and either fix it, say I'll research for a fix and get back with them ASAP, or escalate it to onsite support or the relevant 3rd level support team. Afterwards, the ticket is updated and/or resolved as required, and it's on to the next one.

Management, above the team or track level, seem to be more concerned with making themselves look good as opposed to doing what is best for the employees and customers. Office politics run rampant within this company. For a time, the motto "Employees First" was in use, and that went by the wayside quickly as it never seemed to be put in to practice, or at least not under the project I've worked for until now.

While the pay and benefits are decent enough especially when first starting out, dealing with human resources and internal departments can be very difficult due to what I call "the accent barrier". It's not a language barrier, but sometimes it can be very difficult to understand some of my co-workers; thankfully, Skype comes in very handy for that.
  more...

The company sends out a lot of e-mails that go to all employees but are only applicable to India-based workers. They also send out a LOT (and I do mean a LOT) of self-congratulatory e-mails about how they've done this or that, or how they've made this much money. Get used to doing a lot of deletions if you like a clean inbox.

You have to periodically update your skills and data in their systems, and the programs/sites provided for that are not what I would call user-friendly in the slightest.

Hardest part of the job is actually getting people to respond to voicemails, instant messages, or e-mails. Often, a person won't respond in the allotted time (we use a three strike rule; if they don't respond in five business days from the first followup, the ticket is resolved and noted as a non-response), they see the ticket is closed per followup procedure, and then reopen it. I try to contact them again, and the cycle starts all over.

Most enjoyable part of the job is hearing the satisfaction in a customer's voice when I've solved their problem that oftentimes many other people have looked at and couldn't figure out.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits especially when starting out
Cons
Management and culture are horrible
Hard place to progress
Global Service Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 24, 2017
The culture at HCL is sometimes very hard to work with as an Indian (India) based company and culture. It is project based employment so full time does not mean the same thing here as other places.
Discussion During Breaks
Group Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 22, 2017
whenever I go on a break with my team that would gives us good opportunity to talk about challenges/Issue they are facing on day to day operations. The best part is it unofficial discussion where they can open up themselves and share the problems and solution what they think will be best in that situation.

I would also get the opportunity to share whats going on in the Industry and also in company to bring them up to the speed.

It is win win situation for both the parties
Excellent Company!
Desktop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2017
Is a excellent company to work for and you can take a good IT experience working for this company. I am enjoying every day of my work and learning from the people who have more knowledge.
Great IT career start
IT Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 20, 2017
Great place to start your IT career. Provides a great place for employees just getting into the IT field. Lots of job security.

In house catering every day of the week.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCL Technologies. Our community is ready to answer.