HCSC Employee Reviews

great benefits & pay, meetings about meetings
analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Nice benefits and pay, Beautiful Chicago location and building. Lots of people over 50 years old are leaving, lots of reorganization to come, lots of uncertainty. Culture is all about having meetings and more meetings. It takes forever to get anything done, as it is a very hierarchical company, politics very important. Little sense of accomplishment, just unending meetings.
Pros
Excellent benefits, pay is good, premier Chicago location
Cons
very slow moving, culture is fearful and too moribund. No fun
great company
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Abilene, TXDecember 18, 2016
Great place to work. Great benefits. Great people. Its just a great place to work. Great working environment and management that cares.
BCBS Insurance
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXOctober 28, 2016
Customer service rep for Federal program. Great co-workers, supervisors and benefits. Very little time spent outside your cubical which makes for long days.
very productive, great benefits, great company
Bilingual Behavioral Health Advocate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 9, 2016
great co workers, company takes care of their employees, great benefits and job security.I had a great boss!I enjoyed haVing OT, THE FLEXIBILITY OF MY EMPLOYER IS GREAT AS WELL
Pros
free lunches, health events, prices, incentives
Not a very clean place,conditions were horrible.
Maintenance and Repair Worker, General (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 21, 2017
This place needs a total revamp.The majority of the work staff were illegal aliens,who could not read or write.How some of these people made it to lead positions is beyond me.Theft was a major issue,unbeknownst to management.That just goes to show you how much they cared.
Pros
Time went by fast.
Cons
Being blamed for all the broken equipment and other things that went wrong.
Rated in the top 100 IT departments.
Technical Writer / Business Process Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 12, 2016
An excellent place to work: great location, great benefits and salaries, and an on-site cafeteria. The HelpDesk provides almost instantaneous service.
Okay place to work
Senior IT Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXSeptember 6, 2016
Changes due to the government Affordable Care Act has cause a lot of issues for the company and management. Pay is good, but no job security anymore since most jobs are being moved to out sourcing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No job security
Fair place with competitive pay
Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 27, 2017
this is a very diverse company that is flexible with family and work life needs. They even have a work from home program if you strive to exceed at your position.
Chaotic work place with unclear leadership and goals
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 15, 2016
Every project is created to put out a fire. There is no proactive direction from upper management. The lanes of hierarchy are so firmly entrenched that I don't think they will ever change. It's like working in 1982.

There is little acceptance of change, as if health care is working so well. "But that's how we've always done it" is the answer for everything. If leadership is trying to make a difference, no one beyond their direct reports' direct reports is aware of it.

The most common trait in leadership is that of the corporate bully. HR doesn't even acknowledge that such a thing exists. I've watched while Director-level personnel have berated people at an insane and vile level with zero regard for proper professional respect or comportment. It's painful to watch them do it so badly. It's as if high turnover rates are perfectly acceptable costs to doing business.

But that's par for the course here. Nothing proactive or imaginative in management at any level.
Great work eviornment and great benefits
Claim Recovery Examiner (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILMarch 28, 2016
Great place to work..awesome benefits..great work atmosphere..obtained valuable knowledge about the insurance industry
Pros
The staff and work enviorment
From coworkers to family
Customer Advocate II (Former Employee) –  Springfield, IllinoisAugust 16, 2016
This is a great company that makes you feel like your surrounded by family. The management staff is wonderful at making you feel welcome and listening to what's going on.

A typical day at work included getting on phones and answer calls.
Call Center
Customer Advocate Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILMay 4, 2016
I began my job in 1998. I moved from Subrogation/Reimbursment to the Provider Telecommunication Center.

The job was faced paced with a certain level of stress. I was able to gain new knowledge in different aspects of the company. In addition to IL, HCSC also owns TX, OK, MT, & NM bcbs affiliates.
I was trained on each state and their different mandates, etc.

I was given the opportunity to write a much needed workflow --although that did take some time to convince management that this was needed.

I retired in 2014 after 16 + years of service.
Pros
Health Care, including Dental, vision and RX
Left because of poor management
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXAugust 25, 2016
Would not work there again unless I knew the person I'd report to . Was treated with disrespect and unprifessiinalism by management.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
Leadership
Management Team needs work
Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILDecember 29, 2015
Old School mindset in a company that needs to adjust in order to compete in the market. Management tends to work silo and if they have been there over 10 years they aren't willing to change their mind on work life balance. Male dominated company, women in management tend to work and think as men, not being lenient to women employees in certain areas.
Pros
Community minded, pension, competitive wages
Cons
Management has old school mentality, work life balance not equal in all areas, depends on your managers thought process
Constant increasing demands
Customer Advocate II (Current Employee) –  Great Falls, MTApril 15, 2016
Initially started out ok. Then we were asked to volunteer for a team that does off phone work. Little did we know, that volunteering and getting picked ended up like feeling like a punishment. After getting picked for the off phone work, down the road we were forced into getting trained into a new job roll that required additional overtime, training on overtime, and then threatened with termination if we didn't work the overtime because our definition of work/life balance didn't match the company's. It's a minimum of 2 Saturday's a month, and sometimes with training, even more because the training had to be done outside of "production" overtime. And no time off for the first 1 1/2 months of the year. Management doesn't have to work the additional overtime, they get to take turns. Things just continue to get piled on, with more requirements than other centers, but our performance and stats for reviews compared to the other centers even though they don't have a team trained in as many areas as ours, so it's comparing apples to oranges and we end up on the losing end. We're trained to handle way more calls, but get paid the same as the others who aren't trained as much.
If you want to have a life outside of work, I would think twice about applying. And if you do, think twice before voluteering for any special projects, it will probably wind up totally different that initially explained.
A company that knows what Diversity means.
Customer Service Advocate (Former Employee) –  Abilene, txMarch 7, 2014
A company that truly gets what Diversity is, and goes above and beyond then just the bare minimum requirements.
The rules are a bit strict but you get used to it after awhile. Great benefits, bonuses, great work/life balance. Team leaders and management are very helpful. All employees are treated equally no matter which shift they are on. Management actually listens to employees and don't penalize people that bring up new ideas or refine the old ones.
Over all a great company to work for.
Pros
Benefits, work environment.
Cons
Strict rules.
Very
CUSTOMER ADVOCATE II / PHONE (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILDecember 27, 2013
A typical day includes answering between 40-50 telephone calls. Each call would require problem solving while providing amazing customer service. The phone call could require providing a benefit quote or adjusting a complex claim. The job is very stressful and requires a strict work ethic. I have learned the workflows, policies, and inner process of health insurance companies. My co-workers are a very tight knit friendly group who I could count on during any situation. Management is some-what lenient but, they must stick to the black and white processes of the corporation. The hardest part of my job is putting up with the ridicule and insults from the customers during the phone calls. Insurance companies have a some-what bad name and its easy for the callers to blame the person on the other end of the line. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the tight friendships I now have.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, time off, and pay
Cons
stressful invornment, short breaks, strict schedules
Good company to work for over all.
Medical Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXFebruary 7, 2014
I loved doing the claims processing for medical claims on the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas side. It was detailed work and they gave not so good training once you reached the floor from the Original hiring and training you received upon employment. They lost their major account and brought in new business and with all the changes I was let go over production. They released a lot of employee's that couldn't keep up with the 15 plus accounts business wide. I would say it was a great company to work for they took good care of their employee.
Pros
Good break schedules, easy to talk to supervisors, gave comendation awards for those that were doing 100% quality, great benifits health, dental, vision, 401K
Cons
Strick on associating with other employee's, micro managed their employee's
Excellent company with great benefits, this company truly appreciates their employees
Account Customer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 26, 2012
This position was rewarding and not every day would be the same. The company believed in training, meetings and innovative ideas being shared. Additionally, if you helped the company save money, they would compensate a person for these efforts. Management at this company were fair, professional, personable and knowledgable. Co-workers all worked together as a team. We believed in helping each other in areas that one may be strong others could be weak. The hardest part of the job - the expectation were high and supervisors had many hats or shoes to fill. This company believed in recognition and continuious feedback. However, they gave us the tools to complete these evaluations on a on going nature - which made the annual evaluations easier.
Pros
the company truly believed in their employees being their highest asset and treated them as such, compensation and bonuses were given for hard work.
Cons
it was not out of the ordinary to work more than 50 hours a week to accomplish high goals.
Great place to work.
Lead Health Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 7, 2015
Easy, friendly enviroment. Great people, great benefits.
Actually get training. You know what your job is and are left to do it. No micro management. Supervisors are great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCSC. Our community is ready to answer.