HDR Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VASeptember 22, 2017
Hdr is a good place to work. They have a lot of good activities get a chance to know your co-workers. They have good benefits to help keep a heathy work envirorment. I learned alot about IT networking from how to setup and install equipment in the server room and how to trouble shoot network enviroments. I learned how to work in new operating systems like Windows 7 and windows 10. Also learned how to work and troubleshoot phone systems along with working with video conferencing. The hardest part of working at HDR was the mangement. There seemed to be alot of favortism and back stabbing. Also there was alot of micro managing.
Great Place to Work
Senior Project Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portland, MESeptember 19, 2017
Enjoyed working here, wonderful opportunities. Small office vibe with large corporation benefits and compensation. Staff is wonderful and like extended family.
Project Architect (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 17, 2017
HDR seems to be a great company. I worked in the Denver Architecture office for less then a year, in 2009. The director of the Arch division was a inept micro manager, so I left. I think HDR as a company is a very good place to work, despite my bad experience with the director of the Denver Arch division. That person has since left, so I would recommend HDR as a good place to work.
Big firm with team environment
Architectural Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 12, 2017
Working with multiple offices in a team is very common. Good at pulling resources for projects where needed. Very focused on achieving management's goals, but not enough focus on career advancement and young people bringing in new ideas.
Monitoring Debris With HDR
Debris Monitor (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCSeptember 10, 2017
I really enjoyed working with HDR. Not only was it a great job, but it was also a big learning experience. My job title was debris monitoring. This job consist of driving to sites, documenting debris, and monitoring tree cutters, and other debris removal companies. One of the major skills I learned from this job was how to read and follow a map.
Nice place to work
Benefits Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 7, 2017
Fast pace, employees are very nice. Everyone works really hard, not much appreciation. No parking on site, that does get to be a burden at times. Excellent benefit package
Pros
Hard workers
Cons
No parking on site
Highly engaging working environment with vast room to grow, learn, and closely work with varied engineers that are expert in the their fields
Transportation Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLSeptember 6, 2017
HDR Engineering provided a systematic and highly motivating environment to learn and constantly interact with the experienced Engineers in their fields. Due to the time constraints and necessary workloads that weighed heavily the tasks were assigned as needed and time was spent aligning with a mentor type Project Manager that you would report to however this allowed you to learn closely and then implement extra curricular self teaching to progress further when offered a full time position.
International Entities
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 22, 2017
HDR overall is a good place to work. A typical day at work included working with other employees from different countries. I learned that in order to be promoted you must be friends with upper management.
Pros
Lunch provided during lucheon meeting, friendly people
Cons
Some Managers do not train people the way they should
Love the company
Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAAugust 19, 2017
Learn a lots about this company. How to environmental, transportation highway, wastewater treatments works. Understanding the backgrounds, so I can take and use images from brochures, powerpoint, presentation designs for clients.
Ok job
Construction Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfeild moAugust 18, 2017
It was a good job had no future though need somthing with a long term plan my boss was great also was the people it paid good good location had a little medical
Pros
Paid ok
Cons
Short lynch
HDR is a good place to work.
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 7, 2017
My typical day includes providing users technical support and managing technology issues that arise as well as hardware and software maintenance. I am able to report to management regularly and I work with a good team of IT Specialist.
Pros
The insurance benefits and 401k are great. Employee owned 100% company.
Cons
Advancements, salary and promotions are few fdar and in between.
Good place to work depending on position and department.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 3, 2017
Career advancement is dependent on the type of supervisor you get. Some supervisors care about your career and others are too busy to be bothered. Need to be self motivated.
good teamwork
Project Accountant/Administrator (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 22, 2017
was a good place to work that really emphasized the value of teamwork. I would say i was very lucky to have gained a lot of process and accounting skills.
Good workplace great people
Cleaning Crew (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MOJuly 21, 2017
Was a great work environment, lovley people amazing boss. Co-workers were great to work with. My boss was always helpfull. Always got paod on time and efficiently.
Pros
Paid on time every time.
Cons
No healthcare
Solid company for non-achievers
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2017
Complacent management. No career progression. Lack of vision and ambition leads to a sit and wait culture. Great place for those who want job security, low pay, and a strict 40-hour work week.
Great people and benefits. Management and communication need work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2017
Don't try to get your boss to respond in a timely manner if you have a question. And don't presume that because you have a lot of experience that they will be happy if YOU make a decision. Poor communication is rampant here. They don't know who is really doing the work, so sometimes key people are laid off by managers who have had very little contact with them.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible communication!
Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 13, 2017
A good place to work and has the potential to be a better place once the design team takes shape and takes on more project types. It is primarily a Healthcare and Justice firm so if that's not what you want, then apply elsewhere. The explore in innovation but the Dallas office is a conservative bunch; however, I hear other offices on the east and west cost, including the headquarters, are more open to new ideas and design and production tools.

Please note, this is a corporate firm so if you have changes you want to integrate, they will have to go thru a chain of command (takes time).

Mentorship is lacking.
Pros
prospective for advancement, access to resources, close to downtown, design team forming.
Cons
75% of personal is conservative in practice and thought, not willing to take chances on design typologies, MENTORSHIP is lacking.
Ok
Sr. Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 8, 2017
poor cubicle setup
Management could be more hands-on and forthcoming before problems arise
Flexibility of hours is most enjoyable
Technicians are helpful but do not always have positive attitudes
Too much emphasis on billing every hour to clients
Overall, the experience was good. Some employees are very dedicated and are willing to put in the extra time, no matter how much, to get the job completed, including continuous and considerable travel
Great company with various opportunities
Water Resources Designer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 4, 2017
Our company was acquired by HDR a year ago and I dont have any complaints. They are doing a great job making sure we understand the network and have access to all of the various opportunities offered within the company
Not reccomended.
Assistant Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 4, 2017
Unfortunately I do not have the highest regard for this company. The engineering management showed utter disregard for the public safety when it comes to insuring the integrity of their infrastructure design projects. In addition to the more serious flaws in the office where I worked, there seemed to be a constant battle between engineering management and project management whereby engineering managers aggressively pressured employees to be billable for "99%" of the day and project managers where even hostile at times about allotting man hours to the engineers. The company did not believe in training its employees and despite advertisements of a formal mentor ship program for recent grads, I was informed that there was no such implementation at the office where I worked. All in all, I would say take the job for the benefits but just be aware that you are swimming with some real corporate sharks. Not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced.
Pros
pay
Cons
culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HDR. Our community is ready to answer.