HDR Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent benefits and poor management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Claremont, CAJanuary 28, 2016
HDR offers excellent benefits and I loved the culture. I worked in the Claremont branch and was laid off after 3.5 years of employment. Since I have been unemployed from the company many employees have been laid off or have left due to poor management specifically the department manager.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
poor management
Great culture, no advancement for me.
CAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 1, 2015
When I started, WHM was the name of the company before HDR, Inc. purchased the company. A lot of the culture remained for a while, fortunately. As expected though, the large corporate culture began to take hold. It was still a fun place when I left though. Compensation was decent for my position. I would've loved to advance within the company, but was unable to. I left the company to pursue my Bachelor's degree in order to provide my own means of advancement.
Pros
Great experience and culture.
Cons
Advancement opportunities not there.
Good company to work for overall.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 18, 2016
The employee benefits and PTO are excellent. Management could have been more in touch with employees. Communication from management was lacking. I worked with many good and hard working people.
Promotes volunteering
administrative coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 8, 2016
No job security once the project has ended. I was there almost 8 years and they laid off as soon as the project ended. Promoting within was good.
Pros
Being green
Cons
No life work balance unless you are management.
Excellent working experience
Professional Services Contract Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 18, 2016
Excellent communication between employer and employee

Benefits to die for

Assignments discussed with employees for acceptance

Remuneration based on experience
Pros
Good working experience
Cons
I dont have complaints
Became Office Manager and Parts/Service Coordinator for Germany based manufacturer of dewatering equipment.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 8, 2016
A typical day would include processing all AR/AP entries in QuickBooks. Handling payroll for a small staff of 5 employees. Responsible for finalizing and submitting quotations to potential customers both in the industrial and municipal markets. Manage inventory of spare parts and arrange for shipment of equipment to locations nationwide.
Good company
Environmental Specialist/Senior Inspector (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 14, 2016
Strong culture of excellence while rebuilding interstate roads and bridges. Accelerated pace of construction which inspired ingenuity and problem solving while offering much experience in a compressed amount of time.
Excellent consulting firm, with an office in Pensacola during my term
E&I Design Engineering, Computer controls (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLJuly 31, 2016
The job was very interesting and provided excellent mentoring for a young engineer right out of college. Commercial buildings and industrial plant experience combined.
Pros
Good internship and helped me to get my EIT
Cons
Branch office was run very low budget.
Hdr
Project Architect (Former Employee) –  Chatham, ILFebruary 17, 2016
This can be a great company to work for in the right situation. I was an employee for the Chicago office for 6 years remotely. I worked out of an office in Springfield, approximately 4 hours south if Chicago.
I was laid off due to reduction in work in the area. I firmly believe the Department Heads there did everything they could to not let me go, but ultimately were forced to by the corporate office.
I was asked to rejoin the office in 2014 as a remote employee working out of my home. I was glad to do this as HDR has always been very good to me and to work for and with.
Great firm with wholesome midwestern roots
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 8, 2016
HDR has a strong benefits package including a well performing ESOP. Leadership is honest and hardworking and doesn't take cutting people lightly just to make a few extra bucks. HDR is a nice sizde firm to work for with all the resources of a large company but the feel of a small one.
Great place to start and improve your career but beware of usual flags
Assistant to the International Director (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCMarch 27, 2015
As a young engineer you are exposed to many projects but it depends your office location and your boss as well. Sometimes great mentorship if you are lucky.

It can be a high stress job around deliverables and client meetings but nothing like 80-hr a week unless there is an urgency to finish the project.

There is a great variability in experiences and happiness level of employees around the country depending on the office, management team and project. There is a flexibility that comes from being a matrix organization. They try their best to invest in you if you clearly communicate the career path you want and show your interest as well by working extra when necessary, taking on more projects, develop great relations with external and internal clients.
Pros
Employee stock, career investments, experience value, good office and work culture
Cons
Stress (nature of the business but company can use better time management to prevent some of it)
Good Employee Owned Company
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJune 20, 2016
In the short time I have worked with HDR as I have been on contract with them I have come to respect their work and their management. Compensation is fair, and working expectations are reasonable. It is a large company and seems to have great opportunity to work worldwide.
na
Site Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCOctober 24, 2015
very good management team to work for. good hours and benefits for employees. any other details provided upon request.
Working at a UV light water treatment facility
Internship (Former Employee) –  Mahwah, NJMay 12, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of assembling water pipe systems, testing the systems on how well they treated the water, interacting with clients, and site maintenance. Management kept us in line and made us work hard, but was also fair and understood what their employees needed. I learned how to put together big water pipe systems, how to check for various variable during testing such as pH, turbidity, bacteria content, etc. The co-workers were great and made me feel at home. I lived with my co-workers for the whole summer for the job so we got to know each other, and work better as a team.
Pros
housing and food was provided, actually gave us the proper amount of breaks
Productive and fun place to work but no Ping Pong Table :(
Plans Production/CADD Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2016
HDR Houston is a great place to work. Well managed and productive office. It's just too bad it's in Houston, Texas. Friendly co-workers, family atmosphere, lots of office functions to make for a real team feel. I have done work for several states because HDR is one of the best at work sharing between offices.
Excellent Benefits/Good Overall Company
Senior Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 16, 2015
HDR is an excellent company to work.

The benefits are great for the industry. The company keeps all employees informed of what's happening company-wide.

Some politics involved, but overall, a great company.
Fantastic Place to Work
Transportation Engineer in Training (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 12, 2016
The management and people in general at HDR are fantastic. Become a part of an employee-owned corporation with a great future.
Pros
free lunch, great benefits, paid overtime
Professional Engineering Environment
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 25, 2014
A typical day of work involved greeting employees, vendors and contractors; answering and handling calls as necessary; managing breakroom and office supplies and coordinating lunch meetings. I ran errands occasionally as well. I made some good friends at HDR and I learned so much in the 7 years I was there. The hardest part of the job, was that I was not kept busy. There was not much to do and no room for advancement and I like to be kept busy with a variety of work. Breaks are nice too, but not when the better part of your 40 hours feels like one. The other hard part of the job was the management. I won't go into detail because I would have unprofessional thoughts on that subject.
The benefits were not the best I've had, but better than most. The company provided a 401K investment opportunity and they matched my 4% I provided.
Pros
free lunches during meetings, good benefits and lots of pto accrual
Cons
management, slow paced position
Good Working culture for Engineers and Architects, bad for IT
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 11, 2014
Working IT at HDR is demoralizing. Once a month meetings with the CIO consistantly reminding us that we are a drain on business and cut into the companies bottom line.

It wasn't always like this, the IT group got restructured. So instead of working for your local departments you support you now report to a faceless autocracy in Omaha. While under the local department, the head of that department was responsible for our compenstation and reviews. The job was more organic and should we not be doing our job satisfactorily the department heads and the people we support would have a direct say in our reviews.

Pay rates are not competitive at all.

Management is incompetant, and can't even facilitate a migration to new systems.

Hardest part keeping moral up.

Most enjoyable part is working with the different engineers and architect users and helping them be productive. Overwhelmingly good people who work here.
Pros
good benefits program
Excellent working environment!
Human Resource Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 8, 2015
Highly recommend as an employer. Caring atmosphere, good work - life balance. No micro-management and lots of opportunity for advancement. Hours are flexible and benefits are great.

.............................
Pros
opportunities for advancement - low turnover rate
Cons
low turnover rate - hard to get in