HDR Employee Reviews

Solid company for non-achievers
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2017
Complacent management. No career progression. Lack of vision and ambition leads to a sit and wait culture. Great place for those who want job security, low pay, and a strict 40-hour work week.
Great people and benefits. Management and communication need work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 18, 2017
Don't try to get your boss to respond in a timely manner if you have a question. And don't presume that because you have a lot of experience that they will be happy if YOU make a decision. Poor communication is rampant here. They don't know who is really doing the work, so sometimes key people are laid off by managers who have had very little contact with them.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Terrible communication!
Project Designer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 13, 2017
A good place to work and has the potential to be a better place once the design team takes shape and takes on more project types. It is primarily a Healthcare and Justice firm so if that's not what you want, then apply elsewhere. The explore in innovation but the Dallas office is a conservative bunch; however, I hear other offices on the east and west cost, including the headquarters, are more open to new ideas and design and production tools.

Please note, this is a corporate firm so if you have changes you want to integrate, they will have to go thru a chain of command (takes time).

Mentorship is lacking.
Pros
prospective for advancement, access to resources, close to downtown, design team forming.
Cons
75% of personal is conservative in practice and thought, not willing to take chances on design typologies, MENTORSHIP is lacking.
Ok
Sr. Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJuly 8, 2017
poor cubicle setup
Management could be more hands-on and forthcoming before problems arise
Flexibility of hours is most enjoyable
Technicians are helpful but do not always have positive attitudes
Too much emphasis on billing every hour to clients
Overall, the experience was good. Some employees are very dedicated and are willing to put in the extra time, no matter how much, to get the job completed, including continuous and considerable travel
Great company with various opportunities
Water Resources Designer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCJuly 4, 2017
Our company was acquired by HDR a year ago and I dont have any complaints. They are doing a great job making sure we understand the network and have access to all of the various opportunities offered within the company
Not reccomended.
Assistant Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 4, 2017
Unfortunately I do not have the highest regard for this company. The engineering management showed utter disregard for the public safety when it comes to insuring the integrity of their infrastructure design projects. In addition to the more serious flaws in the office where I worked, there seemed to be a constant battle between engineering management and project management whereby engineering managers aggressively pressured employees to be billable for "99%" of the day and project managers where even hostile at times about allotting man hours to the engineers. The company did not believe in training its employees and despite advertisements of a formal mentor ship program for recent grads, I was informed that there was no such implementation at the office where I worked. All in all, I would say take the job for the benefits but just be aware that you are swimming with some real corporate sharks. Not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced.
Pros
pay
Cons
culture
Knowledgeable, Productive, & Helpful
Architectural Intern (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJune 20, 2017
As an architectural intern my main goal was to learn as much as I could. Co-workers were knowledgeable and ready to answer any questions I may have had. I was part of multiple project teams working on a variety of project types and scales. Management provided me with plenty of opportunities to not only show case the skills that I brought to the office but also to challenge myself and grow as a designer and team member.
greet place to work.
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 12, 2017
good place to work, good people love the job. Managment is friendly and listens to what you have to say. great team work. I wish we got to colaberat more often.
Pros
great pay, good company.
Cons
Long & inconsistent hours.
Good organization to work for.
Project Manager/Chief Agency Architect (Former Employee) –  Honolulu, HIJune 8, 2017
Diverse project assignments. Often resource issues in terms of personnel. Different segments of the company do not always know what other segments are doing.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Communications at management level neeed improvement.
AVIATION LEAD (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2017
Great company, great people. HDR is an employee-owned company with an amazing culture. Very interesting projects and healthy work environment-fairly competitive salaries.
Employee owned company with a great culture
Administrative Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 30, 2017
HDR emphasizes client service. Because employees are owners, they take more pride in providing a quality product for our clients. Employees are encouraged to come up with creative solutions to our clients' problems..
Having our own university allows employees to attain professional development easily.
Pros
Employee owned
Good Company
Office Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 30, 2017
Good environment to work in, people really look out for you. People are quite helpful. Only downside is not many young people in my department, but overall I like the company.
Bad office moral
Technician I (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 22, 2017
Bad office moral, minimum vacation, no sick days. Pay and benefits are good. Management is always miserable due to being over worked. Little room for advancement.
Great Work-Life Balance
Employee (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 21, 2017
HDR is a very family oriented place of employment. They offer a great work-life balance. HDR even offers adoption assistance, which is just one of the many examples of their family oriented business model.
Great working environment
Electrical Engineer II, Power Delivery Department (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 21, 2017
Enjoyable work environment with multiple opportunities for career growth. Driven culture, but has recently struggled with a company-wide restructuring. As with many consulting firms, employee utilization is valued over experience.
Pros
Flexible work hours, good benefits, and convenient downtown Denver location.
Cons
Not transparent regarding raises/benefits policies.
Very good place to be employed
Constuction Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 11, 2017
Very happy with the company and work atmosphere, very stressful and family functions are sacrificed but compensation is very good and benefits are the best,
Pros
Excelent benefits
Cons
family
Hdr
Cultural Resource Coordinator and Assistant (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAApril 24, 2017
HDR is a great consulting firm. I worked as an project assistant. What I learned was project management, cultural resource investigations, and research for Federal Energy Regulatory Commission documents. The workplace culture was very intense and stressful, but enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was the lack of room for advancement for me in my field of study. The most enjoyable part was our lunches where we hung out and swapped stories and occasionally played games.
Pros
lunches
Cons
stress
Engineers are difficult to work with but projects are interesting
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXApril 21, 2017
Involved in many different sectors so as an admin saw many different types of projects. Engineers have their own issues and can be very, very trying to deal with on a regular basis.
Not Bad
Survey Technician (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDApril 20, 2017
Not the worst company to work for in the world. I didn't like working in the oil field and staying in hotels all week. Just need a few more characters.
Great First Drafting position
Drafter (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTApril 20, 2017
I worked with Electrical Drawings editing redlines for HECO electric in Hawaii. The company was positive and trained me well. Management and co-workers were helpful and positive.
Pros
Lots of Job Benefits
Cons
Wasn't always as busy as I would like to be