Head Injury Association Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Do Not Work Here!!!!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYOctober 1, 2017
Horrible upper management. They will throw you under the bus in a heartbeat.The CEO is an overpaid bully that everryone is scared off. She is always yelling at someone. Residential Department has poor leadership and the department is a complete reflection of that. The agency refuses to learn new ideas instead they expect you to follow the status quote. If you don't they will find any reason to get rid of you. There is no job security and no loyalty.
Pros
The clients
Cons
Upper Mansgment, Ceo
Very stressful place to work
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJuly 24, 2017
Head Injury is a very stressful place to work. Vacation days are accumaleted by the hours you work. As management you are often forced to work double shifts. As assistant program manager the pay was good.
Pros
good salary for assistant management. Program managers salaried no overtime pay granted.
Cons
very stressful. CEO is unreasonable.
Direct Support Professional
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJuly 10, 2017
This job helped me so much throughout the time I was there. It helped me problem solving, interpersonal and planning skills. It also helped me learn how to work independently and also as a team player.
Amazing clients, horrible management
Medical Counselor/Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 22, 2017
When I got hired I told them about my grandmother being on hospice, she ended up passing and I had to take 3 days bereavement then I got strep and was told I had to take off so I didn't get anyone else sick then had to take 1 day off to take care of tickets because my position was mainly driving . After taking my client who was wheel chair bound WHO has a history of NEVER trying to stand up to the dentist and popping my head in to tell them we were there because we ran late, they put me under investigation and obviously didn't find anything I did wrong but still terminated me. I always worked over time, came in when I had off and covered shifts at other residents. Completely devistated still 2 years later for this. Very unfair. Clients are the best ones I ever had!! I. Higher ups are very stuck up. Good pay though
Pros
Good starting pay, good hours, amazing clients
Cons
Treated unfairly, poor management, stuck up attitudes with staff
Very little training
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJune 15, 2017
So much training is required and they expect so much out of the gate even when they say they don't. 40 individuals on a caseload. It's not fair to the coordinator or the individuals. No one gets the attention they deserve. I feel guilty for bad, but I found myself constantly racing around like a racehorse all day every day and never caught up.
Do not apply here!!
Dps (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 6, 2017
I worked for HIA for a year and a half and most times working I wish I didn't. The managers and head manager are clueless on how to run the place. Once hired there is no training involved. They toss you in a room and expect you to teach a class of 14-18 screaming clients on subjects you know nothing about. While taking clients to the bathroom every 15min (no exaggeration). There is no structure... everyone goes and comes as they please and it's your responsibility if a client leaves your class (because most are suicidal or fall prone) even though you can't leave the other 13-17 clients you have alone. That's no even the worst part... You have notes to do before you leave everyday. Your responsible for writing notes for all the clients in your group (13-17people)2 paragraphs each on what they did that day, and doing other employees notes who called out(which was everyday).They made us lie on the OPWDD and DOH notes saying we know what a client did even though we weren't assigned to that client all day. Most days were stressful from that to breaking up fights to trying to ask managment for help but them doing nothing about it. I was harassed and discrimination by management constantly for no reason until it lead me to quit. The reason I stayed for so long was the client's...You get so attached to each of them and you love a part of each in a different way. Despite they're mental issues I never worked with such an amazing group of clients. It hurts to know they're not in good hands. By me being so limited to just writing 150words I can't fully express my experience there.
Pros
Amazing clients
Cons
Everything else
Love this company
Day Program Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYJanuary 9, 2017
If I hadn't missed so many days I would have loved to stay at this company. I was terminated because I didn't have proper child care at the time but they did recommend that I return after 90 days and re-apply because aside from my attendance I was a very good worker.
Pros
Great staff, fun activities, great pay
Cons
traffic in the morning on the way to work
Worst agency out there.
Dsp (Former Employee) –  Stony Brook, NYJuly 17, 2016
Quite honestly the worst agency I've ever worked for. I worked in both the residential setting and day hab setting. It is unsettling how poor the management is on both sides. Unfortunately they pay alittle more than other companies. However I wouldn't suggest anyone work for the vultures.
Pros
Easy commute
Be forwarned
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  HaupaugeApril 23, 2016
The upper management treats the lower level staff like a number. The residential staff has their hands full with the new people they have taken in such as psychiatric and autistic individuals who would be better served elsewhere.The bottom line is money.They mix these clients together including people with head injuries who have a medical diagnosis.Several employees have been assaulted.Why don't we see this on the news.
Pros
good medical benefits
Cons
too many to list
Performs a service necessary but forgotten
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYFebruary 26, 2016
A typical day at work, I would answer phones, direct customers, prepared and implemented weekly interviews for prospective employees, data entry, and performed background checks for new hires. I learned a lot about working with people with special needs. Management was great and trusted me with additional duties above those in my job description. The hardest part of this job was working with the more difficult patients. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the growth in our patients.
Pros
great hours, meeting interesting people, great team atmosphere
Cons
low pay
Interesting
Program Coordinator of Employment Services (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYNovember 5, 2015
This is a very unique experience working with those with head injuries. It was very political and they were sneaky with their processes.
Great placce to work
ILST, PBIS and CIC Specialist (Current Employee) –  Suffolk, Nassau County and New York CityJuly 24, 2015
I enjoy working with individuals who receive services from Head Injury Association. I have been exposed to a whole new different dimensions. I have met amazing individuals who continue to thrive to achieve better life outcomes despite their traumatic deficits. Head Injury gave me this opportunity.
I have three different job titles with this agency and my supervisors are great.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
N/a
The pay is higher than most agencies with this population
Residential Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Smithtown, NYMay 31, 2015
But you can loss your job without much warning. The most enjoyable part of the job is the individuals you become there family.
Pros
expect alot
Cons
great benefits
Nice place to work and was close to home.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 25, 2015
I enjoyed working with the staff at the Head Injury Association. My days were very productive and I learned a lot from my supervisors.
Pros
close to home, nice place to work
Cons
low job salary