Head Start Employee Reviews

buen horario lunes a viernes
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mayagüez, PRJune 19, 2017
me gusta el trabajo pero la paga es poca. No hay mucha oportunidad de promocion.
Pros
bono navidad, plan medico, fines de semana libre
Cons
salario muy bajo
Internship
Internship (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYJune 10, 2017
The teachers there are absolutely so sweet and communication is definitely the key there. I want to work there so bad and hopefully I can see the teachers more often because I miss them. It's a great job site!
It was a good place to work
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAJune 8, 2017
Great environment. Helpful coworkers. Great kids! If I didn't have kids of my own I would probably still be there. The building was great. Good playground for the kids.
This is a good place to work if you don't mind being stressed out all the time, have to follow a ton rules, do a ton of paperwork.
Early Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  Rock Springs, GAJune 6, 2017
This place is a good place to work with good people. Yes, there is a lot of paperwork, stress, no time to do anything, and not enough pay for what we do but over all it's a good place.
Buen centro preescolar
Ayudante de Maestra (Former Employee) –  Lajas Municipio, PRJune 1, 2017
Buena escuela preescolar donde los niños pueden estar
Benefits
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 1, 2017
Working for the School system was a great job, I enjoyed working there, but left to get my Bachelor's degree.I worked under a seasoned teacher and learned alot while I was there.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Traffic duty
Love Teaching New Minds
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Poplar Bluff, MOMay 25, 2017
Most rewarding job I have ever had. The children and families are of the lesser fortunate in our county and we get to help provide for some of their needs at school and at home.
Poor
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harrisonville, MOMay 24, 2017
Terrible work environment. No help when needed. Management was awful. I stayed for a year bc I couldn't bring myself to leave the children. The kids were also physically and mentally abused by higher ups
Pros
Love the kids
Amniente de trabajo de mucho aprendizaje ya q trabajas directamente con niños.
Encargada de almacrn (Former Employee) –  Naranjito, PRMay 16, 2017
Me gustaría que pagarán mejor. Mucha responsabilidad
Pros
Plan medico, seguro social, plan de retiro y seguro de vida, accidente entre otros
Cons
Muy bajo salario
Great Place for kids
Teachers aid (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILMay 15, 2017
This is amazing place to grow and get to know yourself And your work place limits. You will be rewarded with kid hugs & an open heart. Very upbeat and fast pace.
Productive enviroment
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 10, 2017
Positive environment. Easy to get along with the staff. You are allowed to be yourself. The children are nice and full of life. Support you in the need of going back to school. Allows you the chance to use your own creativity. A great balance of personal and professional life.
Pros
hour lunch breaks
Cons
no healthcare
ambiente de trabajo excelente y agradable
Head Start Teacher (Former Employee) –  Barceloneta, PRMay 8, 2017
La empresa ofrece beneficios de días por enfermedad, vacaciones, días feriados, promoción de puesto y permanecía de trabajo.
Pros
plan medico, vacaciones días por enfermedad
Cons
no tienes una hora de almuerzo ya que tienes que almorzar con los niños
Great Job
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Valdosta GaApril 25, 2017
Wonderful place to work! The program is great if you want to help make a difference in a childs life. great benefits but the pay could be a little better. A great job to start working with kids.
head start
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston Heights, TXApril 24, 2017
I liked working with the kids but it can be stressful.i learned that you will need to have communication skills .My management was to do my job and help others teachers . I really enjoyed working with every one.
head start
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Brockton, MAApril 20, 2017
breakfast and lunch, circle time, play, activities, indoor and outdoor play, learning, puzzles, nap time, music, reading, arts and crafts. science and dinosaurs, insects, etc.
Pros
different cultures mixed together
Cons
hours were not guarenteed
Made a difference in a childs or childrens lives
Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Jennings, LAApril 12, 2017
Asst the teacher with the children when needed, when teacher was out , you taught the kids for that day, helped were needed, cleaned class room at the end of the day, Went to different conferences for educational learning .
Pros
Teaching the kids and helping them learn
Cons
more field trips
I felt like all of my skills were utilizied at Head Start.
Office Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLApril 12, 2017
The best thing about working at Head Start was the relationships I built with my co-workers. I am still good friends with many of these people and I treasure our experiences.

I wore many hats, and often, almost every day, I would be able to walk across the hall and help in other departments when needed. I was invaluable throughout the agency, and I got a chance to troubleshoot multiple problems as well as bring about timely solutions with creative thinking.

The hardest part of my job was probably being in a semi-management role, and having to keep everyone calm when crisis set in. We had a tornado hit one day, and all of the kiddos were lined up in the hallway, some screaming and crying. It was my job to try to keep them calm and distracted.

The stress was sometimes tough to deal with. Deadlines existed every day to get lots of projects and reports done on time. I feel like I had a lot of help, though. My friends would always pitch in when needed.

Upper Management was the same there as anywhere: often times hard to deal with. You just have to keep going in the right direction and take it all in stride.

The workplace culture was fun and exciting. I had fun almost everyday. During all holidays there were always fun games to play, crafts to create, and parties to plan. That was the most surprising part, I think. Having these wonderful ladies love you so much that every year they would plan a surprise birthday party for me. It was the best time of my life. I miss it dearly.
Pros
Fun, exciting, ever-changing routine, the ladies
Cons
management over-ruling things that were in place before them
Diverse Working environment
FCP (Current Employee) –  Jefferson County, WVFebruary 27, 2017
Great family oriented work providing a wide range of experiences and opportunities to help develop learning and growth. Allows for the worker to help low income families find ways to succeed and work their way out of poverty.
Pros
Great hours
Love the kids
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Schoharie, NYFebruary 25, 2017
Head start services children 3-5 yrs of age and it is a great early learning experience for the kids. The program and staff are wonderful
Pros
fun environment
Cons
no benefits
review
Clinical (Former Employee) –  Seneca, SCFebruary 20, 2017
this head start was one of my first student teaching and I didn't love it my teacher told me everything I was learning was nothing and you shouldn't do it. but everyone else is really nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Head Start. Our community is ready to answer.