Head Start

Head Start Employer Reviews

Productuve and fun place to work
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), GARY INDIANADecember 7, 2014
A typical day at work consist of preparing the classroom for daily activities. I was also in charge of inputting data into Creative curriculum, Edeca, and promise. I planned all lesson plans and implemented them on a daily basis.
good company to work for.
bus driver (Current Employee), Uniontown, PANovember 27, 2014
A good place to work, I enjoy working with the staff and the children.
Friendly and knowledgeable staff and management.
Family and children working atmosphere. Strong need for collaborative work with staff, coworkers and community agencies
Director (Current Employee), PROctober 30, 2014
Pros: health insurance, continued training process
Cons: no retirement plan
My usual day began really early, reach the office before the staff, to read letters, memos and other documents. Write instructions or guidance for the secretaries to follow and implement. Having an open door policy lead me to meet with parents, Policy Council and Governing Board members as well as formal and informal meetings with staff. Make call to – more... provide follow-up to program needs. Work closely with the Human Resources Director to make decisions concerning staff and procedures and with the Public Works Directors of three Municipalities for facilities maintenance, repairs and improvements, Provide follow-up to written plans and request evidence of follow-up by staff.
I've learned that everyone around me can teach me something every day and that's the fun part of working with so many people. The hardest part is having to make disciplinary decisions that may lead to the termination of the persons contract. However, I've also learned that a well written supervisory file speaks for itself. After written plans to improve and evidence training and technical assistance to staff are made all the parts have to work for the achievement of the plan.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working and meeting new people. In the 3 programs we meet and share the developmental process of infants, toddlers, preschoolers and their parents. Watching their progress and listening to their stories are a positive boost and motivation for me. – less
IT Support
Information Technology Technician (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAOctober 29, 2014
Internship
Disassembled, troubleshot, and repaired the following PC hardware: Motherboards, processor, hard drive, floppy drive, CD drive, power supply, IDE Cables, SATA Cables, fans, NICs, Video cards, sound cards, memory, keyboards, mouse, monitors, speakers. Upgraded more than 100 computers with new Operating Systems (Windows 7). Configured Computer – more... Images for future deploy utilizing Windows Deployment Services (WDS), configured servers with new Operating Systems (Windows Server 2008) and Hard Drive Devices. Configured Email and Internet connectivity for end users. Created users in Active Directory. – less
fantastic oppertuitys with these bright youngsters
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Romulus, MIOctober 20, 2014
Pros: loved learning with the the little ones
Cons: down sizing !!
the children were so busy learning in their playing It was amazing to watch ! management did a great job.
Volunteered in classrooms
Volunteer (Former Employee), Grand Forks, NDOctober 8, 2014
worked with the children in:
reading
math
science
writing
story time
tying shoes
Really hard to leave head start, like family
Family Advocate (Former Employee), Coon Rapids, MNOctober 7, 2014
Cons: travel, pay, benefits
Great co-workers, you really connect with co-workers. Still find ways to collaborate and visit with past co-workers
I was the consultant dietitian
Consultant Dietitian (Former Employee), Sparks, NVSeptember 19, 2014
I analyzed diet & anthropometrics for Head Start children at 21 tribal clinics. I provided recommendations to parents and staff. I created nutrition education materials for parents.
Salon striking kinds of experiences
Teacher (Former Employee), PRAugust 28, 2014
Pros: health plan
Cons: shedules
A workplace in which we offered various educational activities for kids. We performed daily plans to work with children. Some times the hardest part was getting parents to be involved in activities at the center.
Nice place to work at
Teacher (Former Employee), Ashtabula, OHAugust 20, 2014
Great management, lots of professional training programs, great team, appreciative families
Amazing
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Ronkonkoma, NYAugust 15, 2014
This place was amazing, new people and new environment for me. I learned many different things in this place. I do love this place and would hope to find something like this some where else, its too bad im moving out of the state because I would have never left!
Provided a needed service to the community and rewarding experience for the employees
Special Needs Coordinator (Former Employee), Danbury, CTJuly 8, 2014
Pros: team approach to providing programming and services to children and families
Cons: inconsistent funding for the operation of the program
Working at Head Start provided me with the opportunity to interact with professionals, families and children in the Danbury area. I spent time in the classrooms, made home visits and met with the Danbury Public School staff in our efforts to meet the needs of the children with special needs enrolled in the Head Start program. The classrooms were well-run – more... and quite lively with the needs and interests of the children a top priority. I served as a consultant to the teachers for the children identified with special needs and worked with the teachers to refer children to the Danbury Public schools who exhibited some developmental delays. I was a member of a team working with mental health professionals, social workers, financial consultants, administrators and educators. The team approach was essential and beneficial to the success of the program and I enjoyed this experience every day I worked at Head Start. The hardest part of the program was seeing the children who lived in poverty and knowing that after school was over, some of them were going home to difficult family situations and possibly no food until their next school day. This program and job experience changed my thinking about poverty in America and the part we all must play in eliminating hunger, especially for the children. – less
Great place to intern
Social Work Intern (Former Employee), Elizabeth City, NCJune 19, 2014
Worked with 3-5 year olds. Assisted with home visits with parents to help them accomplish goals. Worked with great Family Services Workers, and enjoyed working with this population.
loved to go to work everyday to see all my students
Center Director and or Teacher (Former Employee), Augusta, KSJune 12, 2014
Pros: family style meals, once a month family night for all students families
Cons: health insurance, pay, schedule at times
I got the opportunity to be able to perform and prove myself at many different job titles within the 4 years I was employed with Head Start! At times it was very stressful but I wouldn't change it for the world. It's made me that much more of a better teacher as well as a person in general.
Extremely enjoyable and rewarding.
Teacher (Former Employee), Newark, NJJune 7, 2014
As an early childhood professional, working with Head Start is a incredible opportunity. I believe in the program and appreciate what it does and has done throughout its rich history.
family social worker
Family Worker (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYJune 3, 2014
With the work that I do there is no typical day. I love my job but I often don't feel as though I actually help some of the families as their lives stilll go on when school is out but they can't reach me. I feel that the program has a lot of things that it needs to improve on before it can actually do what it has set out to do. Staff (teachers and family – more... social workers) work hand in hand to better the lives of the chidlren that are served. The hardest part of my job is the demand is so big and so many people need help. My case load is double what it is supposed to be, but even when a regular sized case load, a family social worker still can't meet all the requirements in one day that they are supposed to. Finding time to do paperwork is impossible. I adore working with the children and seeing them daily. – less
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), San Juan, PRMay 22, 2014
Pros: good lunch break
It was Great
Respectful
Results Oriented
Setting Expectations
Setting Goals
Scheduling
Supervision
Supportive
Loved the chance to be Teacher aide
Teacher Assitant (Former Employee), Palmetto, FLMay 21, 2014
Pros: you get to be creative on job and have fun on work and get weekends off
Cons: some of the co workers were burned out on the job
·on a typical day : I would arrive in the afternoon during nap time and relive another teacher, sit with children during nap time. Make sure they stayed laying down and quite. I would prepare the tables for snack time during nap time. After nap, assist the children in putting there mats away. Then take the children down the rest rooms in line. Go out – more... and play for 45 minutes to an hour. When coming back in they would stop by the rest rooms again, and everyone would also get water.Then they would have there snacks.After cleaning up after there snacks. We would make some kind craft activity . Usually anytime from noon on (during naptime) one by one, the children's parents would be picking them up. Depending on their work schedule. The classroom size of students is slowly growing smaller.
From 22 students to start with to by 5:00 all the other classroom have joined us with a total of 10 kids in the whole school. Then we have another another snack as we wait for last group of kids to leave. After snack head outside to play on a nice day or make some kind of activity inside depending on the weather. The age group is no longer 4-5 year olds. Its mixed.

I learned to be flexible. Management I had most of these years was great. Co workers and I got along fine. Hardest part of the job was wanting to help these kids and the parents were a lot of the problem. Watching the kids absorb it and get excited from learning.

Developed lesson plans
· Daily documentation
· Student referrals
· Students ages 2-5
· Coordinated weekly activities
· Student evaluations
· Parent/Teacher Conferences – less
produtive place and experince working with pree shcool children
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), PRApril 29, 2014
Pros: early hood education is a very good experince
Cons: teacher aide had to sweep, mop, and clean the rest room because they had no janiter.
Typical day at work would recving these child when thier parent would leave them in the mornig they would wash thier teeth and hands ,they would sit down and wait for the teacher to slect three students to put the table for thier bertfast then we wold all sit at he table and we would have bretfast then after this task was finshed they would line up – more... and empty what was left on thier plate then they would wash thier teeth and hands agin then they would sit on floor and wait for the other children where done.then we would divide in two gruops and i would teach them numbers,letters,shapes,colores for about twenty minutes.after that was down they would go to the next task which was to pkay in area they would choose to play in this would be for a other twenty minuts ,then it would be time to play out side four the next step then it would be time for lunch three more children would put the table agin then whenthat was done they have a afternoon nap at this time the teacher and i would clean and orginze the class room they would take this nap four one hour when they would wakr up me and the teacher would let use the washroom then i and the teacher would cume thier hair and then they were ready to eat thier afternoon sanck after this was done they would line up to wash thier mouth and then we would read to them a story ,and review everything we did during the day after this was don they would be ready to go home again until the next day. – less
My Summary
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLMarch 6, 2014
Pros: interacting with the kids.
Cons: backstabbing and jealousy many all for theirselves
I enjoyed interacting with the kids. It was a learning experience.

1 2 3 4