Head Start Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJune 3, 2016
Some body did not want to ride the bus to school, they are crying and yelling for mama. It could take 30 mins to calm them down and me to.
All children learn at there own pace.
I loved my supervisor. She would tell me what she wanted done for the day and by days in it was done. We got along great!
My co-workers at head start were the best. These ladies became my family and I miss them.
A child that I could not comfort.
I enjoyed the children the most. It's like as long as you give them something to occupy there time and go back and forth to check on them they are cool. Watching them while they do what they are doing they love that.
Pros
free hot lunch
Cons
child i could not comfort
Productive, warm, and enjoyable to work for.
Family Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAMay 24, 2016
I loved to work with families. The atmosphere was warm and everyone got along well. We all were a team with providing the best services to our children and families. I enjoyed helping the parents with accomplishing their goals so they could live better lives. The most enjoyable thing about the job is to see my parents go to school or find employment as the result of me pushing and empowering them. The Supervisors were really supportive and great leaders. The hardest part of my job was being laid off from such a great employer. Unfortunately, all of the employees had to go.
it was a different experience and not a very accepting/nice environment among the staff
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NCMarch 13, 2016
a typical day a work would start with us getting the kids hands washed and teeth brushed before breakfast and next go to centers or go outside for recess. After the students came in from recess it was story time and then centers followed by lunch. Once students are done eating then its time for nap time. Once students awaken from nap the had an end of the day snack and it was time to go home. That was a typical work day.
Pros
free lunches and you dont work on weekends
Cons
you dont have breaks during the work day
Great Organization
Center Clerk/ Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tupelo, MSMarch 12, 2016
Head Start is an awesome program for low income families and children. There was such a large range of services that were offered to the children. My co workers were some of the greatest people I have ever known. I loved my Head Start family and was very proud of the job I had there.
Pros
family oriented, family enviornment
Cons
The new agency that took over our program laid us off during the summer.
Productive Work Place
Internship (Former Employee) –  Watts, CAMay 8, 2016
The center provided the children with a positive environment and lesson plans was taught very effectively. The classroom setting was very organized and the teacher had to strong relationship with the parents to better the child learning experience.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
outdoor play area was small
excelent place to work
Assistant preschool teacher (Former Employee) –  Caguas, PRMarch 25, 2016
Get to my class room, receive my kids, and make all the class routine . Is an amazing experience because every day you learn something different. My co-workers was really nice and we make great teams. I enjoy all part of my job,the hardest part was wend for some reason my coworker can go to job but was always under control.
What it takes to be teacher
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MOMay 5, 2016
Prepare for classroom arrival,
place out bowls plates and cup and as year advacne teach childern to set tables
prepare items need for lesson plan for that day
choice music for cricle time
choice a learning activity for outside time
read and know you story for cricle time
and have a greeting in the moring drunign arrival as well as depture, of the evening, '
hardest part is to have a teacher aide that is trained will and know what she is doing with you in the classroom and will listen to you work together as a team in the room. What i learned that often times that things dont aways go the way you think they should go and childern ahve minds of there own and some just dont listen and our stuboorn. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see kids learn and be able to go on to kindergraden with sucessful futures ahead of them .
Pros
love the childern, good work hours for family life, most day the learn advantages with the childern
Cons
To short of prepare time, lack of team work form superviors
awesome
practicum student (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, NHJanuary 5, 2016
It was always a very inclusive classroom. As a practicum student I was constantly learning. The lead teachers really supported me in my learning and pushed me to be the best teacher I could be in the setting I was in. I learned a lot about myself. I learned areas of growth I need to work on as well as areas I am strong in.
Great Learning Experience
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILMarch 7, 2016
Learned a lot at this job. The hours remained the same, unless you were willing to go in early or stay later if someone was ill. Not sure how their benefits are compared to other places.
Wonderful organization in regards to Family growth and health
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Hobart, OKNovember 10, 2015
Happy environment, Loyal , fun and honest workplace. Team players. Fun and educational workshops & training. Meeting once a month with adjoining Head Start employees was compared to family reunions. Lots of wonderful fellow workers that shared the same interests.
Pros
Support and loyalty among staff.
Cons
no breaks
Everbody is family there
volunteer teacher assistant (Current Employee) –  Salem, ORMarch 4, 2016
The co-workers are vary friendly and nice to me, If I don't understand something they help me understand it by explaining to me.
Almost Good
Early Childhood Teacher (Former Employee) –  Utuado Municipio, PRFebruary 12, 2016
Great job, with great benefits. too much work to do in some little time. Been part of a kids live and helping them to develop was a blessing.
Loved it
Part Time Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dowagiac, MINovember 12, 2015
I absolutely loved working here. I love working with kids. Kids are absolutely amazing and my coworkers I was put with were amazing as well, they helped me out any time I needed it an always answered my question when they was asked.
Not a place to grow
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCSeptember 27, 2015
The children and family are wonderful to work with. Not enough outside workshops to learn new skill. Co-workers are burn out because of work loads. What i have learn from management that they have been burn out not learning new skills to teach their teachers.
Pros
Days off in the summer
Cons
Not a place to grow
Paraprofessional
Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NESeptember 30, 2015
What I learned at Head Start as a Para is teaching the children. The retinue/schedule they have. Watch them learn everyday, They learn how to write their name. I would have to document how their day went in childplus. Also document their learning process in GOLD.
It was not bad
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Mexico, nmOctober 4, 2015
I loved the children and working with the teachers. Mangers she really didn't know how to speak to her works and doesn't even have the proper degree. She's very rude to the workers and was very two sided.
Pros
Children and co-workers
Cons
The manger and double paper
Totally enjoyed working with growing children
Substitute Teacher/Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Rockland, MEAugust 5, 2015
Typical, nothing is typical with children (lol) my day would consist of assisting the teacher in any way needed. I would organize and play games, read stories, help with learning of ABC's, serving lunch and watching out for the kids well-being on the playground!
nice environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Miami Beach, FLJune 30, 2015
i loved to be around adults and children.
i took full responsibilities in a professional manner that included working in a respectful manner with all children, parents and employees;
i maintained child and family confidentiality,
i completed required forms and paperwork in a timely, neat, readable and appropriate manner;
Pros
field trips, salary
Cons
short breaks
Very Organaized
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  PROctober 31, 2015
Very good supervisors and coworkers. Everyone is very human and is your family no matter how long you have been working there.
child care
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARSeptember 15, 2015
Working with the children was priceless. There is a good feeling when you are a part of help a child learn. I loved working at Head Start. I had really good supervisors.
Pros
Eating with kids
Cons
short breaks