Healing Arts Initiative (HAI) exists to remove barriers to arts and culture. Founded in 1968 to primarily to provide access to live performance for institutionalized individuals, today HAI is a multifaceted arts agency dedicated to enriching the lives of culturally underserved New Yorkers through engagement with art. Nationally recognized for its work in arts and healthcare, HAI programs touch the lives of 350,000 people annually and are specially designed to encourage and inspire those with challenging life situations such as advanced age, illness and disability; HAI also works with disengaged youth from urban communities.
Located in Long Island City, Queens, HAI has a full-time staff of 20 and part-time staff of 12. We work with hundreds of performing artists and teaching artists all across New York to provide on-site art classes, workshops, and trainings in our office/gallery/studio, but most of our services are provided off-site in schools, mental health facilities, hospitals, hospice centers, and after-school programs.
For more than four decades, HAI has been primarily supported through government contracts and foundations. However, in an attempt to lessen HAI’s dependence on government funding, to expand its reach, and to develop ways of sustaining services through new revenue streams, the agency has begun to advance various cultural fee-for-service programs that are gaining steam.
We are looking for an exceptional candidate to join our team who is passionate, can multi-task, is driven yet flexible, confident in managing projects, and is comfortable sharing their opinions while being respectful of others in group settings. The Assistant Director will support the Director in the planning and implementation of various sales and marketing initiatives. The ideal candidate is a strong program manager who is looking to grow into a more strategic support role.
The Marketing and Outreach Department’s dual role is: 1) to increase program revenues and foundation funding, and 2) to ensure consistent messaging to the outside world. Given this dual mandate, HAI’s Marketing Director is often called out of the office and into the field. The department often requires an additional staffer on-site and, as such, the ideal candidate for this position will work closely with the marketing Director to develop a schedule that balances internal and external demands.
HAI is seeking a team member who has strong critical thinking and communication skills, an open mind and a willingness to learn, and the requisite drive to work for a fast-paced, nonprofit environment. The ability to strategize, implement, and follow a plan is critical for this role.
- Become familiar with HAI’s service offering, internal department structures and strategic goals
- Work with Marketing Director to refine the current marketing and sales plan; ensure that that new sales initiatives complement existing efforts and maximize the return on outreach time
- Create and test new strategies aimed at securing additional revenues and new fee-for-service clients for HAI
- Drive $75,000 of new revenues in conjunction with marketing team
- Work with Marketing Director to ensure $250,000 in foundation grants in FY 2014
- Compose grant requests and conduct foundation research as necessary
- Develop a schedule that balances internal supervisory needs with outreach goals
- Supervise interns and marketing consultants while Director is out in the field
- Assist in the creation and dissemination of internal policies governing branding standards and messaging
- Work with Director to ensure consistent social media postings, blog updates and web-postings
- Participate in flier and web-design processes and help to oversee the development of new marketing materials
- Proofread marketing materials as necessary
- Become a strong and valued member of the marketing team and the HAI family
- BA or Masters in a related field
- Background in marketing, public administration and/or business and sales
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and inter-personal skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiarity with Adobe Design Suite, graphic design and branding a plus
*Please submit a cover letter in addition to your resume.