Health Care Service Corporation Employee Reviews

Think retirement home
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2013
HCSC has good benefits for its employees. Until about 6-7 years ago, health benefits were free. This stopped when HCSC decided to take bids on the cost to insure its workforce, and no other company would bid. Why? Because free benefits attracted the sick, obese, etc.

Because of this, people who get in at the company tend to stay for life. Having 10+ years on the job isn't unusual at all, and people only really get recognized at 30+. Due to this, advancement requires someone to retire. Think of it as dominoes, something like this: Pretend you, your brother, and your dad run a Jimmy John's. You sweep the floors, your brother makes the sandwiches, and your dad does the books. You are going to be sweeping the floor until your dad retires, because then your brother will do the books, you'll make the sandwiches, and you'll hire one of your friends (note: hirings are rarely based on merit) to sweep the floors. And then it repeats.

Management at the company is quite bad. This is because many of the directors, vps, and up have no other qualification besides being at the company 20+ years and a bachelors degree. The company is run like a privately family owned company; execs get moved up by picking the winning side in a dispute or by being the "whipping boy" for an executive - when things go bad you say "sorry, it was my fault, not his." Then someone says, you should fire her, and you say that she makes mistakes but she's been given many responsibilities and she is still developing. This exact situation would happen to me, for example, I'd complete my piece of work and send it to the
  more... director for approval 2 weeks before it was due. Then I would be assigned other work and do that. Then the director tells me that we missed the deadline and it's my fault, and I'm like Oh hell no. So I forward her the email from 2 weeks ago saying "the work is on your chair for signature, please sign and return at your earliest convenience." She told the vp it was my fault and then tells me she refuses to show him that email! So I go into his office and show him the email. He says that regardless of anything, it's my fault. Why did he say that? Because she was his "whipping boy," she'd jump on any grenades that he had to deal with, which keep him shiny and clean. It's counter-intuitive, but what I needed to do to move up at HCSC was to say Everyone, it's my fault, I didn't follow up enough and it's totally my fault. Take the bad review for the year, but show that I was happy to be a whipping boy. Merit is irrelevant at this company, what matters is if you are a "friend" and play the game.

The environment at the company is very unfriendly. I was lucky and happened to get some nice co-workers to go out to lunch with and we even made friends with some managers that were inside our division, but had different responsibilities (slightly different group). Their management told them to stop going to lunch with us, then our management moved us around so that we weren't near each other and then we were directly discouraged from socializing. This isn't the company where people say Hi to each other in the hall or even the office.

The hardest part of my job was working until midnight because my manager or director didn't do something that I had given them 2 weeks ago until the last minute. If you work at this company, make sure to do absolutely nothing more than your job description. If you need someone else's signature or approval on a piece of work, don't drop it off with them and expect them to sign it and send it back. Many times they will simply do nothing with it, then the deadline passes, and they will blame it on you. This is actually intentional! They are protecting their own job by making sure that no one below them looks good enough to do their job.

The most enjoyable part, besides the little group I had (because you can luck into a good group of co-workers at any job) was the ability to focus on one company, unlike public accounting. The company's story is very interesting too, how it started, its history, etc. and when you get to talk to someone with 20+ years of experience and they tell you the ups and downs, bad times and good times, it's like watching a really interesting documentary on TV.
Pros
flu shots on site! nice cafeteria, nice building.
Cons
bad work environment, mgmt that ensures you will have some amount of failure, no advancement, raises are few and far between
Excellent benefits and team, meaningful work, learned a lot
Actuarial Assistant, Risk and Revenue Optimization (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 30, 2015
-Apart from lunch and restroom breaks, I spent around 8 hours/day in front of the computer developing statistical models using SQL and SAS code.

-I learned about the company business, about health insurance in general, and about how to use SQL and SAS to solve business problems. Also, I gained a new experience working in a corporate setting.

-My co-workers were mostly around my age, and they were friendly, accomplished, and collaborative. We went to lunch frequently in large groups.

-The hardest part of my job was efficiently using SQL and SAS to complete multiple projects while preparing for required credentialing exams outside of work hours. I learned SQL and SAS on the job with almost no prior training on that or on the health insurance business.The credentialing exams typically take several months to 1 year or more of preparation and cover topics that I did not major in at university. In addition, given that people in the department were relatively young and closer to my age, I felt like I needed to make a much more conscious effort than what I was used to in order to maintain professional workplace relationships. Basically, there were many moving parts.

-I enjoyed observing and learning from a highly driven group of managers and colleagues. They taught me most of what I learned in my role in the health insurance field, as well as ways to use analytical skills to solve problems more efficiently, and I am grateful to them for this. I also enjoyed working on projects where the problem was defined but not the exact way to solve it, because I felt empowered to
  more... do things my way, researching and brainstorming possible solutions to a given business problem and asking for help from others around me who were knowledgeable and/or experienced with related topics.

-In general, I enjoyed it most whenever people encouraged me to make mistakes and learn at my own pace, because I usually manage to convince myself that messing up on my part was not allowed and was acutely aware of any perceived infractions.
Pros
Excellent benefits, in-house gym and fitness classes, health-conscious company values, great pay, highly supportive team/workplace
Cons
Relatively lower job security at the early stages (so it is important to be aware of that), competitive in certain departments which can either be helpful or not, depending on how one views it
Excellent Brand
.. (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2014
In any given day I am working with executives as well as line staff on new project initiatives and strategic programs orchestrating resources and navigating challenges to getting the job done.

Unique work environment with many diverse mini-cultures, whether it be geographic or functional group based.

Management at HCSC varies a great deal with some down to earth individuals with a high level of integrity and others from Big 3 consulting firms with a very different approach to engagement with other functional areas.

My co-workers, which I consider everyone from upper management to those that work for me are excellent. Everyone is willing to make time when you need to engage with them.

The most challenging part of my work is pushing people beyond their comfort level in an organization that is slow to change and conservative on most every front as an, at best, fast follower. To me, we've done it that way for 20 years is not good enough if there is room for improvement as we work in an ever changing and competitive market.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people with the "aha" moment in cross-functional teams and developing my team through new experiences.
Pros
good compensation, lots of vacation time, liberal work from home policy
Cons
overhead laden, top heavy corporation, too many levels of management and management by committee, no one is responsible or accountable for their actions
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILDecember 29, 2014
Life at HSCS was pretty busy. I started my day at 8:30 am and ended my day at 5:00 pm. I learned almost every function of Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I was able to do any job asked of me in my department with a quick 10 minute training. Management was awesome! They are very understanding with fellow workers and they do their best to help accommodate you and give you extra training if need be. The management team did not believe in leaving you behind. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is making sure you processed over 50 applications a day. Some applications were more complicated than others meaning more info needed to be input about this application compared to others which can take about 5 minutes to input compared to 15 or 10 minutes needed to input other complex applications into the system. I really enjoyed the staff and the fellow co-workers they made working there really fun and enjoyable the laughter helped calm the stressful times.
Pros
great holiday parties
Cons
short breaks
Worst Job EVER!
Producer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2013
This place is such a joke.

Went in to this job with a positive outlook and high hopes. Within the first week veteran employees treated the new ones just plain awful.

Management has NO on earthly idea what's going on, and when they're told they don't care.

To get Management's attention you pretty much have to have a mental break down at work, which isn't hard to do because the amount of work and stress they put on you is unreal.

No communication, no respect, no way in HELL would I ever recommend this company to my worst enemy.

HR is also worthless. Filed a complaint and didn't hear back for almost 2 months. Seriously? Are there that many other HR issues they are dealing with. RED FLAG!

Stay away... stay far, far away!!!
Pros
paycheck
Cons
mandatory overtime, management, favoritism, unsafe building
Old time research
Senior Market Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 8, 2014
This company's research department runs studies like we were back in the pencil-and-paper days of research. Everything is very basic qual/quant--focus groups and online surveys--nothing more.

The department is run by an individual who boldly, if not pretentiously, displays his "Ph.D" on his name placard but was clearly not taught leadership skills during his coursework nor has he evolved outside of bread-and-butter market research.

Co-workers are knowledgeable and have an assortment of talents but clearly are not seeking to advance their careers outside of this department as promotions come few and far between.
Pros
great building with cafeteria and gym
Cons
slow paced, no growth, little training, weak top level department leadership
Great in the Beginning but Becomes Stale
PRIMARY NURSE (Former Employee) –  ChicagoJuly 21, 2014
It was great at the beginning but favoritism, poor communication, an unreliable computer system and poor decision making skills on the part of the management team eventually made it unbearable.
The work from home option is used to coax people to accept their job offer but then it is just like a carrot dangled in front of people with the criteria to be selected like a moving target.
The HR dept is a serious joke. They never respond to applicants on time and the employee referral bonus does not get paid as promised unless you have time to stalk the HR team.
Opportunity for growth is present, but there is an insane level of favoritism and clique-ishness.
Pros
downtown
Cons
favoritism, unreliable work from home option, hr dept
Great place to work if you are in Chicago
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 6, 2015
I spent 9 years at HCSC and enjoyed my time working there. As the saying goes, people don't quit companies they quit managers, and that is what happened to me. If I had not had such a bad manager I might still be there and thriving. The company can be political when you get to a certain point and if you are not connected and well thought of at HQ you will hit a wall. All in all a good place to work. People tend to have long careers there as the health insurance business is pretty predictable and steady. If you love taking risks and making an impact I would steer clear, not a lot of tolerance for that at HCSC.
Pros
Great offices, good training, non-investor owned.
Cons
Political, can be boring and slow at times.
We provided excellent healthcare education
Provider Affairs Representative Medicare Part A (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 7, 2013
A typical day consisted of traveling from various hospital locations within the state of Michigan and educating the community and providers of services. I learned to travel alone and within a group setting. The hardest part of the job was traveling with the equipment and presentation handouts. The most enjoyable part of the job was training and educating the community and hospital staff on billing procedures.
Pros
customer satisfaction and communication with the provider community.
Cons
traveling in inclement weather
HCSC is an amazing place to work
Sr. Application Developer / Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 27, 2015
Every company has areas that can use improvement. One area that I thought HCSC could have improved in was the training of the unit managers. However, I love the company. The focus that upper management had on the wellbeing of the company’s members was second to none and it promoted thoughts of how to make the user experience better.
Pros
The open door policy of upper management, work from home policy
Cons
The Blackberry policy
HCSC is a pretty good place to work
Senior Tax Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2014
The Tax VP is extremely talented and smart, and so is the Senior Director Scott. After I left, the Senior Director took over my old area and made life much better. He organized things and got timelines down and made the job better. I think this would be a good place to work now and I think if you have the opportunity to you should take a job here.
Pros
strong management, organized workflow and calendars
Cons
compliance can still run wild at times
Customer Advocate I (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 19, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of contact with other employees in various states and departments, processing and correcting claims and problem solving. Multitasking abilities are enhanced. Co-workers are friendly and fun. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the phone calls in queue. The most enjoyable part of the job was the variety of daily tasks.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
short breaks
Technology is the future! Yeah if you live in India!! :(
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Danville, IlMay 9, 2015
Hired in January of this year. Rigorous job training program with promises of a great future and stable career. Called into a meeting on a Friday in May and told that our jobs will be gone in a few weeks because they are outsourcing to save money. Very disappointed in this company!!
Pros
Good benefits, enjoyable work atmosphere.
Cons
None until they took our jobs away.
Excellent workplace with great benefits.
Sr. Technical Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TexasOctober 8, 2015
Excellent company with a diverse group of employees. Company benefits and wellness programs area plus. The only down to this company is the many organizational changes and movements that lead to layoffs and reduction in workforce. This does happen as companies grow and is to be expected.
Pros
Fitness Center
Cons
Frequent Organizational Changes
Excellent company to work for
Manager of Project Management (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 19, 2013
Typical day at work consisted to various meetings with staff as well as with other areas within the company. Hardest part of the job was mastering time management to get everything done. Co-workers were great to work with. I learned a lot for various staff members as well as management.
Pros
monthly recognition
Cons
n/a
Very busy and productive company
Provider Customer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXNovember 3, 2014
Overall rating is 5 stars could not get the above stars to click 5, I love my job as well as everyone I work with. Management is awesome. I talk on the phone all day long, research provider questions as well as take my scheduled breaks and lunches on time. The only con is that I don't have enough time to read emails.
Awesome Corporation
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 8, 2014
The culture at HCSC is inclusive and diverse. Every employee will learn the healthcare business and operations. The management is diverse in every department. The hardest part of the job is commuting. The most enjoyable part of the job is the education and relationships.
Pros
holistic wellness approach
Not progressive, but tries to keep up
Human Resources Learning and Talent Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 18, 2014
The company isn't very progressive in their salary and benefits, but is good at staying current with current health care benefits events and reacting appropriately. Amazing associates, but mediocre leadership.
Pros
excellent culture
Cons
limited opportunity for advancement
Good place to work with great benefits
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Naperville, ILAugust 21, 2015
I am grateful for my time at Healthcare Services Corporation. I have learned a lot and appreciate that the company helped push me to move and grow within. They encourage you to develop your career and give you the tools and training to do so. They offer great benefits as far as insurance and PTO.
Typical Day
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2015
: ASO project is a fully automated web application for billing system used for non-premium customers. ASO billing is used for providing and creating Clients/Contracts/Bill Profiles and maintaining the member information Stoploss is Self-Insurance claim tracking system. The Stoploss is being re-write project.