HEALTH DEPARTMENT Employee Reviews

Productive and fun and exciting to work with others.
Senior Clek (Former Employee) –  Miami-Dade County, FLAugust 7, 2016
Interviewing clients, helping clients by issuing WIC checks, the work was with women, infants and children of all nationalities so we learned a lot about many cultures. we worked as a team within the company.
Pros
Helping customers
Cons
No cons, just did my job on a professional level.
no comment
McHenry County Department of Health (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILSeptember 7, 2016
Do not work here unless you want to be/have:

Underappreciated
underpaid
understaffed
disrespectful and ignorant co-workers
review
K-CHIP (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYJuly 26, 2016
I loved this job so much. I got to work from home. Nothing to say bad about the job. I had the best Boss ever. All the co-wokers loved working there. Everyone works as a team. I loved the hours cause I got to set my own hours as long as I got 40 hours a week.
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALJuly 19, 2016
Great place to work, nice and friendly people. The work is consistent on a daily basis and I love that. Also, it can be quite challenging. Keeps us on our toes.
Help me build organize skills
Examination Assistant (Former Employee) –  HengshuiApril 12, 2016
This was a great experience ever for me in my life, and it gave me a great training in organizing a event. By participating the work, I did a good job in organizing small-group exam. It was a good practice.
Fun WorkPlacw
Medical Assistant Externship (Former Employee) –  Charlotte ncMay 17, 2016
Every job is learning experience and working at the health department wasn't anything less and I love it each and ever day being able to give help where it is needed.
Knowing I can make someones day brighter is well worth it.
Health Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Henry, COFebruary 5, 2014
I love what I do, but I am in need of a career that will come with health care benefits and a more secure placement, I go to different clients homes throughout the day and help them with any cleaning or cooking they may need. I also take them to their doctor visits, hair appointments or any other errands they may need done, The toughest part of the job is not knowing how long I will have the client, I need something with more secure job security. I have been with the health department for almost two years now and still have yet to see a raise, Living on minimum wage in this day and age is tough and not getting paid near what I should be is discouraging.
Pros
Semi-flexible hours
Cons
No benefits, raises, working late hours
professional workplace and good job experience for an internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  macomb, ILOctober 20, 2015
Learned a lot about emergency management from working in the health department, the people I worked with are very good at what they do
Water quality monitor for local beaches and watersheds
Water Quality Intern (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 24, 2012
Day to day routine includes collecting water samples from Silvermine, Sasco or Norwalk watersheds and Norwalk Beaches. Samples are brought back to the lab and tested for E.coli and Fecal Coliform. High school volunteers are involved and taught sampling and lab techniques. Management is easy to work with and very approachable. The hardest part of this job is locating and approaching some sites. Some are not easily accessible and require some strenuous physical activity to access the water. The most enjoyable part of this job is the constant interaction with volunteers and the community. Educating the importance of water quality monitoring helps the public understand what they can do to improve the quality of their water.
Productive and fun workplace.
Tulsa County Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 12, 2013
Going in at 8:00 am, to get ready to start the process of a Food Handler's Class. Each morning we had a class of 70 to 100 people. The process consist or collecting $10.00 from each person, then we took a picture for the permit. The class was about an hour and a half long, After the class I was in charge to grade the tests. The most enjoyable part was when we didn't had any people failing.
Pros
Great benefits, and free lunches.
Cons
Worked Mondays until 9:00 pm.
Senior Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sanford, FLFebruary 25, 2013
I loved to come to work because I loved what I do. I learned to deal with different situations on the phone but was able to solved them. I had a great management my co-workers were excellent and very helpful. I didn't find hard anything because I was willing to learn. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to do the hemoglobin to children and make them feel secure.
Pros
free lunches once in a while
Enjoyable and reasonable working environment
Information Processor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 2, 2014
A typical day at work was a good challenge to use customer service skills and abilities to help clients. I learned that if you are appreciated in your work you tend to do a good job and go the extra mile for your team. Managers were family oriented and genuinely concerned about the workers. Co-workers were not under a lot of unnatural stress so the work flow was mostly consistent and reasonable and they treated you with professional courtesy. The hardest part of the job is staying professional without being too empathetic and taking the clients problems personal.
Pros
You worked with the public and had opportunity to make lasting first impressions
Cons
You had to deal with customers on a personal level dealing with health issues.
excellent time enjoyed it
Sr.Iventory management clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 14, 2013
Productive workplace.
Good coworkers.
Not the best pay for some duties.
Job security.
Pros
vaction pay
Cons
comp time versus overtime pay
Working with teenagers is very stressful
Foster Parent Certification (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, ArizonaFebruary 5, 2015
As a foster parent, your life is not your own. It's a constant challenge to try to keep these teenagers on a straight and narrow, however no matter how hard we try, they have their own minds and will do and undo all they want, knowing that the State will take care of them, and they will not suffer any consequences. It's a very thankless job.
Pros
Knowing you are helping another individual find their way in this world.
Cons
Very stressful, no sleep at night when they don't come home or runaway.
Energized and exciting workplace with staff dedicated to helping the entire community of Clinton County, NY.
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Plattsburgh, NYNovember 2, 2012
A typical day includes the research and writing of newsletters, lesson plans, and grant proposal. I also work directly with the community to educate the population about healthy lifestyle behaviors, encourage different agencies and organizations to develop resources for bettering the community, and assist int he facilitation of meetings. I have learned many aspects of the office environment. I have a learned how to facilitate meeting and coordinate programs in the community. I have improved my budgeting skills as well when implementing programs in the community.
Always something new.
Gratiot County Buildings and Grounds Supervisor (Former Employee) –  ithaca, miJuly 9, 2015
A busy job maintaining all county buildings. Repair water leaks, remodel offices, cut in doorways. I was the supervisor and coworkers where great. Hardest part of the job was keeping everyone
concerned happy.
This experience was an amazing opportunity and I am very grateful.
Medical Assistant Clinicals (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAOctober 24, 2013
A typical day was coming into the Health Department and I would help with what ever they needed me to do. I learned a lot about healthy nutrition, assisting the patient, taking their vitals, and translating as well.My co- workers were really nice and helpful with everything. There was not anything hard about the job I enjoyed it a lot. The best part was when I helped the patients who didn't speak English. It made me feel like I was helping them understand everything that the nutritionist was saying.
Fun workplace
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Arkadelphia, ArAugust 29, 2013
I have learned alot working with this job, I love who i work with. Just needing some benefits and also insurance for me and my family.
Pros
not a hard job
Cons
no benefits
No professional growth.
Medical Technologist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mayagüez, PRJuly 18, 2012
No professional growth for employees.
Poor economical benefits.
No work tools available.
very productive and rewarding
Director of Environmental Health (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, GAOctober 15, 2012
there was no set schedule with this job, had to take the most pertinant task at hand and deal with that and work your way down the line. i was able to be my own boss and had to manage time and duties accordingly. i had outstanding co-workers and got along with all of them. the job involved traveling from site to site and dealing with various types of individuals and situations which kept me on my toes =never a dull moment.
Pros
self-indepedance
Cons
had to manage tasks and duties within the days time frame.