Health Management Associates Employee Reviews

Hma
Lab Tech / Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sebastian, FLMay 14, 2015
HMA was a wonderful place to work as a float. They were able to utilize my expertize in many different practices and differs types of people
Pros
lots to learn
Cons
far to drive
Excellent teamwork, and quality of care
Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 12, 2015
Worked in collaboration with patient, families, physicians, nurses, social workers, bereavement support counselors, pharmacist, chaplains, and volunteers to provide an individualized treatment plan and a peaceful transition. I enjoyed time spent with patients and families in answering their questions and concerns, and providing comfort and reassurance thereby.
Predatory work environment.
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLFebruary 19, 2015
Hostile, predatory work environment. Hostile and malicious management. Under federal investigation for alleged billions of dollars of overbilling, duplicate billing, etc… the list is long. After 60 Minutes did a documentary on the company, the work environment went steadily downhill. The company sold out to a much larger company, and then most of the upper management fled the country or went into hiding. The only reason I stayed with the company so long was because I honestly cared for our patients. The Compliance Department had to be involved with the ever increasing maliciousness, and degrading work environment. When they refused to investigate multiple serious allegations of the associates, it was time to leave. Working for such a broken company was a great experience though. I have so much experience in fixing things now. If I had worked for a well-oiled organization, I would not have gained so much experience. Daily, I worked long hours, under extreme stress, well above my pay scale. Whatever does not kill you makes you stronger.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
everything else
Mature facility now owned by CHS
Controller / Assistant CFO (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXFebruary 17, 2015
Formerly known as Medical Center of Mesquite owned by Health Management Associates. Currently owned and operated by CHS.
A postive work experience overall.
IS Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLFebruary 10, 2015
Relaxed atmosphere that lends to productive work time. Team oriented staff that worked towards the ultimate project goals.
Pros
ability to work from home on occasion
Cons
equipment availability
Very Good Employer
Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Winder, GADecember 22, 2014
Barrow Regional Medical Center & Health Management Associates (bought out in January 2014 by Community Health Systems) was an excellent company to work for. They offered competitive benefits to all of the 60 plus facilities throughout the Eastern United States.
Great Project Management opportunity and Cohesive team
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 12, 2014
Great PM Consulting opportunity on a long-term contact
Management team empowered PM to manage the project across integrated projects.
Pros
accomplishing project work in scope, budget and timeline...positioning site to meet meaningful use requirements
Cons
consulting project is nearing the end
Exciting, progressive,
Senior Vice President Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Naples, FloridaSeptember 7, 2014
HMA was a Fortune 500 Company that doubled in size while I was there. The growth was exciting and the challenges were welcomed. Unfortunately the company was acquired.
Pros
financial benefits, stock grants, growth
Cons
highly regulated, acquisition target
I worked with a really good group of people through good times and bad times. We worked as a team and helped each other when assistance was needed.
Client Advocate (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 28, 2014
I worked with a really good group of people through good times and bad times. We worked as a team and helped each other when someone was in need of assistance. There were days when we would laugh, cry and be silent, but whatever the case we worked well together. The hardest part of my job was listening to my clients' describe how their disabilities affect them on a daily basis, by the end of the day we all would be mentally tired.
Pros
company paid half of transportation costs.
Cons
being micro-managed
Great Place to Work
Reimbursement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Naples, FloridaAugust 21, 2014
Manager and fellow associates were excellent to work with. Wish the company was still around. HMA was bought by CHS, Inc. in January 2014.
Pros
great atmosphere at hma while employed
Cons
company closed june 2014
busy place to work
Echocardiographer/Lead Tech (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLAugust 15, 2014
I appreciated all that I learned while working at the hospitals while employed at HMA.
Satisfactory
Clinical Review Auditor (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FloridaJuly 15, 2014
It accomplished my monetary needs for the tme and I did learn a lot.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
60 miles away from home one way
productive work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Mooresville, NCMay 21, 2014
good place to work
pay could better
Taken over by CHS
great leadership team here
good hours.
very team oriented
this office was part of corporate, not the hospital
easy to learn about the Revenue cycle here.
Pros
great team and leadership
Cons
pay
Great Leadership Team
Scripting Analyst, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMay 20, 2014
Our leadership team at HMA truly cares about each individual; they work hard on employee retention by keeping up morale. They achieve this by having many committees each led by different individuals in the company, that assist in party planning, community charity, and office improvement.
Pros
new office equipment / building ; discounted gym membership
Cons
large office environment
Role as Divisional Risk Manager
Divisional Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Naples, FloridaMay 2, 2014
I had oversight of the risk management programs of the hospitals and their affiliates such as physician practices, SNF's, ALF's, Hospice's, and other outpatient facilities within the divisions I was assigned to (from 11-23 hospitals depending on the year). Each hospital had it's own risk manager. I provided guidance to the risk managers and facility management and C-suite staff for risk issues including regulatory issues, claims management, and legal concerns. I enjoyed working with the diverse groups of people in these organizations in providing training from large groups to 1:1. I traveled to the hospitals with the greatest need often requiring a short notice schedule change. The hardest part of the job was getting some management staff to understand that even though people make mistakes, the mistakes are often caused by process failure that we need to address. This was probably the biggest challenge (and also most rewarding) part of the job, that is when I was able to impart understanding of process change to the key players who were able to see and implement positive change in their organizations. I learned that no organization is the same, that each has it's own unique culture that needs to be understood by it's stakeholders to work with it to effect positive change.
Pros
positive work environment, well received by facilities and staff
Cons
i can't think of any, i loved my job
Dynamic and productive environment
RIS/PACS Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLFebruary 25, 2014
Note my experience with Health Management Associates was prior to Community Health Systems merger.

It was a great place to work, dynamic and challenging but also allowed a work/life balance and would work with HMA again.
Fast paced environment
Program/IT Manager, Data Integration (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLFebruary 11, 2014
Very dynamic environment with lot of different technologies.
Good Ol' Boys Club
Credentialing Specialist - Senior Specialist (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 30, 2014
I joined HMA approximately 4 years ago and it didn't take me long to learn that the only way to advance was to be a part of the good ol' boys club. You would think with a company this large that they would promote from within or there would be a fair chance of advancement but I didn't find that at all. It's not all bad, I have worked with a lot of great people here over the years. Retention was just not their focus. It wasn't their focus when it came to employees, physicians or hospital management. Working at the home office there was no formal policies, or review structure, and absolutely no compensation based on merit. On a good note they were a very family friendly company, and focused their company benefits and beliefs from their Christian company background. As I mentioned before I learned a lot but that was because I am the type of person to ask questions and research things on my own. The best part of this company was the associates that worked here and in the hospitals. Truly great people.
Pros
paid christmas break and nice christmas bonus.
Cons
hard to advance
Excellent Company to work with..
Consulting Manager, Data Integration (Current Employee) –  Naples, FLJanuary 29, 2014
Excellent Company to work with and you may have great working atmosphere. Company's managemnet is very responsive and helpful by nature.
Productive and supportive team members
Financial Support Services Specialist/Refunds (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLJanuary 14, 2014
Fast paced environment with limited supervision.
The hardest part of the job is month end reports
The most enjoyable part of the job is quarterly bonuses.
Pros
great benefit package
Cons
30 minute lunch break