Health Network Laboratories Employee Reviews

Unreasonable pay and no room for advancement
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PADecember 10, 2017
Pay is not relevant to cost of living. Though you need to go to school to be a phlebotomist, as it is not a job or skill just anyone can do, you are still paid at the low end of salary, especially for what the job entails. You are handling bio hazards all day and risk needle sticks and are belittled by patients constantly. You are also loaded up with other departments work and expected to keep up with changing knowledge. In order to pay your bills and provide for your family, you will still need another job on top of this one, but the company will NOT be flexible with your schedule, even if it is for school and advancement of career.
One of the best place I worked for.
Medical Coder/Team Leader/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 8, 2017
Working for HNL was one of the best place I worked at.
The Manager and the CFO at the time was very helpful.
They cared about their employee and we are not just a number.
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
I enjoy the fast pace and the challenge of talking with all different personalities of people.
Senior Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 17, 2017
A typical day is usually fast pace but I enjoy that. I have learned patience and dealing with the challenge of many different personalities of people. It is important to always remain pleasant and positive. If you exhibit a positive attitude you usually get that back in return. My workplace culture is pleasant.
Pros
vacation time
Fun place to work
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Pottsville, PAAugust 11, 2017
I love the hours. I'm off weekends and I still get out early. It's a bit tough in the morning and there's a lot of driving involved but I really like that there isn't a supervisor constantly breathing down your neck. The trainers and administration are very nice and understanding and so are the patients.
The company could use a little work on organization but it's a good place to work!
Pros
Pay, benefits, Pto
Cons
Management organization, too much driving, nursing home draws
Very poor management
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 10, 2017
There is very little flexibility or work/life balance. The management is ineffective at best with very poor communication. The work load is often stressful with more work than there are employees. There is zero upward mobility. They bring people in from the outside and do not promote from within. A 4-year degree tech makes the same as the 2-year degree people and you're guaranteed to remain a bench tech for your career at the establishment.
Pros
decent PTO if you are able to get it approved
Cons
rigid, factory atmosphere with time clock, you punch in no more than 2 minutes before your start and no more than 3 minutes after, very bad management
My position was eliminated.
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJuly 17, 2017
After a long, long, productive career at HNL, my position was eliminated. No concern for me...no reciprocal loyalty at all. The positions offered to me were waaaay below what my salary/ education/experience were.

One week later my job was posted...slightly different title, basically same duties. They opted for someone with a higher degree than me but with NO experience in this particular field.

But happy I am to be out of there. Never would've done it on my own. No longer will be working to make others successful and get absolutely no appreciation or recognition in return.

I used to love it there. Way back when when patients were more important than business.
Pros
Right now can't think of any. Lots of hard work got me nowhere.
Cons
No job security, favoritism, not willing to hire sufficient staff for growing business
People were treated fairly and according to skills.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAMay 11, 2017
I like that they trusted my abilities and skills for the benefit of the company. The training was excellent specially the Hematology part. I like that I was able to work there while a big change for more advance
technical equipment was done.
Pros
Good trainers and workers
Cons
To many sites to cover.
Very rewarding place to work.
Cytology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 19, 2017
Productive place to work. Very secure place to work with many "extras". The benefits are great. The company could give more rewards for the over and beyond work that is done.
Great work environment
Customer Care File Clerk (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 11, 2017
Can be very busy, I Retrieve failed electronic transmitted reports. I Call clients to verify fax numbers or alternative methods to receive failed faxes. I Collect, print and distribute incoming faxes to the Customer Care team in a timely manner. Assist the Executive Secretary in daily administrative duties when necessary,Greet incoming customers, clients, employees, and vendors to administrative offices, and I Screen incoming calls and direct to correct executive or employee
Billing Office
Medical Coder (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAFebruary 3, 2017
I enjoyed what I did there and I was good at what I did, but management has a lot to be desired. They are very unprofessional and there is a lot of nepotism and favoritism there. No consistency with management and no follow through.
Pros
lots of work easy to do
Cons
hostile, unprofessional environment.
Pie aslant work envionment
Medical Laboratory Technician - Generalist (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 8, 2017
Responsible for collection and handling of blood and urine specimens.Perform tests on specimens maintaining integrity and validity of testing procedures.
Maintain Quality Control to ensure validity of results.
Utilizes computer system,entering results into computer and retrieving information.
Maintaining a pleasant working relationship with fellow employees.
Productive,fun place to work
Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PADecember 21, 2016
Awesome co-coworkers,management well trained and very helpful
Learning new things everyday,awesome place to work,excellent benefits,excellent place to share your knowledge to patients
Doctors and fellow employees
Pros
Awesome co-workers, excellent benefits
Antiquated
Medical office (Former Employee) –  Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton, PANovember 4, 2016
It amazes me that the job ad says ICD9 knowledge and not ICD-10 knowledge given that ICD10 is what is used now. Shows you how antiquated they are. Obviously they are reusing an ad and never proof-read.
This company is bad news. Do not work for them.
Pros
When I think of any I will let you know
Cons
Uncertified employee says but ad calls for needing to be certified. ????
Leadership is worthless
Coder/Biller (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAOctober 28, 2016
Management is very unprofessional
Coders are not certified, therefore they do not know guidelines. Things are coded incorrectly and denied
Whispering and gossip by employees and managers
Coding and Billing department is a year behind
Nepotism
productive but to much turn over
Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 12, 2016
Day was so busy you never looked at the clock.

learned all aspects of the pathology/histology departments.

Management was not fair to all and alot of turn around.

co-workers made the day fun. alot of turn around due to management.

Hardest part was working with the chemicals.

Most enjoyable was knowing you were helping a patient.
Pros
benefits and helping patients
Cons
management and staff turn around
A place where innovative, self starters can succeed
Chief Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAMarch 19, 2016
HNL is looking to change the way health care is delivered and how diagnostic laboratories services are valued and in this era of major change those willing to take risks and promote big ideas are encouraged and appreciated in the organization.
Pros
Employee focused management team, responsible corporate citizenship and patient / consumer driven care and value driven.
Cons
Takes time to adopt radical changes throughout the organization
Productive and fun place to work
PHLEBOTOMIST (Former Employee) –  Fogelsville, PAFebruary 17, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Health Network Laboratories. The company was extremely professional and I looked forward to going to work everyday. If I was to move back to the East Coast I would definitely apply there again.
Productive and Continuous Improvement
Laboratory Technologist, Generalist (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAJanuary 6, 2016
Health Network Laboratories is affiliated with Lehigh Valley Health Network Hospital. HNL is a good company to work for. It offers very good benefits. There is a lot to learn in this company as there are improvements everyday and changes are made at a fast pace. Co-worker at HNL are very understanding and helpful. The hardest part of the job is to keep up with all the changes that occur frequently, however this also makes it enjoyable as you get to learn new and different ways to perform the task.
Great crew to work with, best in the business
Courier (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PANovember 17, 2015
It was a pleasure to work with my fellow employees. I was based in Lancaster and we very seldom seen any supervisors at all.
Friendly employees and well accomidating for family issues (appointments) that can arise during work day.
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAMay 12, 2015
Enjoy working with knowledgable co workers who will always help out with training. Left alone to navigate and work the most efficiently on the tasks assigned.
Pros
family friendly atmosphere
Cons
unstable