HealthEast Care System

HealthEast Care System Employer Reviews

Clinic Coder II - (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 25, 2014
I enjoy working at the clinics. Health care benefits are excellent, and tuition reimbursement has been helpful.
Don't Trust Human Resources!
Medical (Current Employee), Saint PaulAugust 20, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: backlash
My Manager just asks questions for the sake of asking questions, not because she wants to learn anything. She is trying to challenge my intelligence or make me look unprepared or inept in front of others. Sometimes her questions feel like a frontal assault. She asks a number of questions but never gives me an opportunity to answer. She has a very abrasive – more... style. She is rough around the edges and is often too direct, cold, and blunt. She also doesn’t hesitate to “dress down” or confront me in front of others.

In addition, she micromanages all of us and it drives us crazy. She blamed me when I did what she asked and things didn’t turn out as she had hoped. Unfortunately, she often blames others to avoid responsibility and to escape the spotlight being shined on her poor performance. I reported her to the human resource department and they did nothing, but reported me. I have had nothing but backlash ever since. Warning don’t trust the HR department! – less
Purgatory
Anonymous (Current Employee), St. PaulAugust 11, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: disgruntled managers
I began my new job with a bounce in my step, I was thankful that I was given a chance and was eager to please. Hey, it was a fresh start. But somewhere along the line, something made me change. The pilot light went off, and with it, my passion and productivity. The trouble started when the work incrementally built up. When I was hired, I was given a – more... copy of the job description. Soon, there was more duties then I bargained for. My manager shoehorned in the other-duties-as-required. It started to worsen when those “other duties” now become permanent, time-grabbing tasks. It seemed that my hard work just created more hard work. I am told I am a “team player,” but I soon grew tired of that bland carrot.

The employee engagement events and surveys feel a lot like voluntary coercion. The employees are welcome to attend the pizza parties and the ice cream socials, as long as they mingle, relax and still manage to meet their tight deadlines for the day. Likewise, the employees are free to answer questions on their employee engagement survey honestly, as long as they are the answers management wants to hear.

I sense that I am working for soul-sucking vortexes. I won’t stay here long…it’s just a stepping stone in my career path. I cannot wait to get out of this purgatory. – less
HE Homecare
Customer service (Current Employee), Home careJuly 26, 2014
Cons: working shorthanded, horrible compensation, the interview and the job are actually two different pictures and what you're promised, they're too many cons i don't know where to start
For a healthcare organization who prides itself on health and wellness, the work/life balance is so disrespectful it's hard to describe.
I've never worked for any place where employees were driven into the ground by working such long ridiculous hours.
Work in horrible conditions loud noise, not enough space/ rude gossiping coworkers and a workload that – more... requires at least another five people to get the job done and is now done by just a few.
Management pacifies employees with stupid solutions to obvious problems.
Working shorthanded all the time and being expected to actually get the work done of many is an insult.
I work with people who actually behave like gossiping rude teenagers.
So many eyes watching when you come and go that you feel like a prisoner.
Funny how nobody watches when you're staying beyond the time you're supposed to be off. – less
morale is declining
counseling staff (Current Employee), St. Paul mnJuly 20, 2014
Pros: fun coworkers
Cons: unrealistic expectations of work
I've been at healtheast since 2011 & hired on in June of 2012. since that time, many changes have occurred.

#1 VBI - instead of mgmt fixing the problem, we are to now write out a card of a process that we want to change. and then we - the employee - are required to "fix it." because, apparently I have the time to not only focus on my current caseload/roster – more... of patients, I mean "customers" but I have the time to do mgmts job too. waste if time!

#2 Epic

the worst training(if you want to call it that) ever! we're almost 2 months in AND I'm still struggling. it takes me twice as long to do my job. also...our dept is on a hiring freeze as epic cost a lot of money. which means no new hires to help out an already short staff.

#3 allowing incompetency

keeping people on that have no idea what they're doing or keeping people that have been there for a long time. however, this person is so focused on controlling everyone else's jobs that she forgets to tell you about appts! she doesn't do the job she's required to do - instead she wastes her time overlooking my job (which she is grossly unqualified for) and doesn't get her part done.

I'm so sick of this place! I can't wait to leave! – less
At Your Own Risk!
Patient Care Network (Former Employee), St. PaulJuly 9, 2014
Pros: atms
Cons: leadership
I have been working for HealthEast Care System for many years now and I've learned that the company is nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who don't care about their employees. They lie, show favoritism, and insist on promoting people who are just simply not prepared for the position they are filling.
It's not about what you know, it's about who you know – more... and unless you’re willing to be their department snitch you won't get anywhere in the company.
In fact the more you try to stand up for your morals and the "teachings" of HealthEast the more they demote you and cut your hours until you are forced to quit or find a supplemental job. Even the customers notice a change in the company. Before they saw smiling faces and employees willing to help them out but now they see sad, defeated faces with fake smiles.
I used to believe this was the company I wanted to be with for the rest of my life. Now I refuse to even recommend any patient care from HealthEast to the Public, because I know what is going on behind the scenes. – less
Was a good place to work
Clinic Registrar (Current Employee), Vadnais Heights, MNJuly 6, 2014
Pros: -not liking the change of positions
Cons: healthcare changes, position change to keep our jobs
-checking in patients
-to listen to the patients and their concerns
-new management
-enjoy my co-workers and like teaming with them
-there is not a real hard part to my job
-the most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers
Is HealthEast’s Code of Conduct Unlawful? Ask the NLRB
Anonymous (Current Employee), Saint PaulJune 26, 2014
Pros: hiring temporary employee's
Cons: hiring temporary employee's
HealthEast have been struggling with low morale and lack of cooperation among your employees, low client satisfaction, and high employee turnover. The company culture needs an instantaneous makeover, and they are not sure if even that is fast enough. What do they do? They set up employee teams to address some of the more troublesome issues. They decide – more... that your first goal is to develop a Statement of Values and Standards. The employee team charged with this task comes up with a draft and then distributes it to all employees for review and comment. After two more rounds of drafts, the team finalizes its Statement of Values and Standards, which covers a variety of concerns, such as respect, teamwork, client satisfaction, continuous improvement. This statement includes prohibitions against employees making negative comments against and gossiping about each other, and an agreement to represent your company in a positive and professional manner. They circulate this statement and ask all your employees to sign it, indicating their agreement to abide by it.

Unfortunately, this seemingly harmless policy could land you in hot water with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
Unfortunately, this policy could land HealthEast in hot water with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) Apparently, The human resource department is unaware that even if your workers are not unionized, the NLRB may still have something to say about certain of your employment practices.

Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act of 1935 affords employees the right to:

“self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection, and shall also have the right to refrain from any or all of such activities except to the extent that such right may be affected by an agreement requiring membership in a labor organization as a condition of employment as authorized in section 8(a)(3) [section 158(a)(3) of this title]“

The NLRB has read this section more expansively than in previous years, holding that seemingly negative comments or discussions about pay or work conditions is protected, concerted activity within the meaning of Section 7. This statute does not restrict itself to unionized workforces. Non-unionized workers may organize a union (click here to read about that in last week’s post) or simply talk about work and help each other with workplace problems. A policy such as the one in this case, or a disciplinary action based on such a policy, may, according to the current NLRB, may be an interference with these rights, which, under Section 8(a)(1) of the NLRA is an “unfair labor practice”.

How does this violate the NLRA? The NLRB said that some paragraphs in question are so overbroad that the reasonable employee could read it and believe that the prohibitions include discussing work conditions with each other, or other activities specifically allowed under Section 7. – less
LACK OF QUALIFIED LEADERSHIP
Staffing Specialist (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJune 22, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: employees not listened to or valued
GOING THROUGH TRANSITIONAL PERIOD. EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT IS LOW PRIORITY. RAPID DETERIORATION OVER PAST TWO YEARS. NEW CEO DOESN'T HOLD THE COMPANY'S PREVIOUS VALUES.
EPIC Go Live Experience
EPIC Deployment Technician (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNJune 17, 2014
Pros: was able to work independently most of the time, able to work as many hours as i wanted, easy to get along with everybody in it
Cons: n/a
Healtheast decided to make a major change in their work flow by implementing a new software called EPIC. I was a contractor through Tek Systems brought in to Healtheast to help deploy hardware and software for compatibility with EPIC. I would image a brand new PC or laptop making sure the right applications were installed for which ever department was – more... getting the new PCs. I would then deploy the hardware along with the peripherals to a department within any of the 4 main hospitals Healtheast owns. They were Saint Joseph's, Bethesda, Saint John's, and Woodwinds. During Go Live which was June 1st, I was part of the 24/7 IT support and worked on tickets users would submit for any IT issues. I worked either a 12 hour or 14 hour shift everyday with no days off in between. This lasted for 2 weeks and then my contract ended. – less
Great medics, but terrible managment
Paramedic (Former Employee), Saint PaulMay 29, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management
Healtheast transportation hires good people, but then runs them into the ground and demoralizes them. Management continues to cut trucks and personal while expecting greater call volume. Any mistake or misunderstanding goes in your record to haunt you later. If you value your future career, find another company.
HEALTHEAST HUMAN RESOURCES vs EMPLOYEES
Job Seeker (Current Employee), CorporateApril 24, 2014
Pros: expanding
Cons: expanding
The Human Resource department should really be renamed to the "Legal Department." They represent the company's interests in regard to its personnel. They do not represent the employees' interests against the employer.

They work for the company, not for individual employee interest. It is often mistaken as a place that serves the employees in arbitrating – more... their grievances with management and the organization.This is not the direction the relationship works in. Because of that, many people ruin their careers at HealthEast

Essentially, if you take a problem to HR you think you are sending this message.

Your Intended Message: "Dear department that represents the employee's interests, there is a problem either with the choices the organization is making, the things my manager is doing, or conflicts with a coworker. I am letting you know so you can fix this issue for the betterment of me and the organization."

The real message: "Dear organization's legal department that manages human resource issues, I am an unhappy employee. I do not agree with what my manager, co-worker, or the organization is doing. I think they are messing up. I am letting you know so you can fix this issue for the betterment of me and the organization."

If the department represented the employee its reaction would be:
"We will arbitrate this issue and fix it for you once we determine you are not the issue here."

But since the department represents the legal interests of the company its reaction is:

"A problem employee has just presented themselves to us. We need to manage or eliminate this problem employee so they do not cause more problems with coworkers, the manager, or the organization. Let’s investigate how much a problem this employee is. Maybe diplomacy will work to fix this errant employee. There might be merit to their issue but we serve the whole organization, not individuals. Ultimately, we support management's choices. If we cannot diplomatically solve this issue, we will need to make the employee's life difficult so they quit on their own because we do not want to pay unemployment or worker's compensation. Making there life difficult can take many forms from a bad performance review, putting them on a "Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)," give them a project that has no hopes of succeeding, or moving them to an uncomfortable physical location. Maybe all of the above. If the person is a true legal threat we may need to cut our losses and remove them immediately. – less

May 2, 2014

I agree...believe me, I would never again approach HR with any employment concerns.

Management and Human Resources are a joke.
Nutrition (Current Employee), St. PaulApril 24, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: no breaks
Management is on a power trip and the head of HR goes along with all of the bad decisions.I can't believe that someone has not contacted legal representation.Management allows bulling to go on and does nothing about it.Some employees can miss 30 plus days a year and have their job. Some employees are late 2 times and get fired.It doesn't matter if you – more... believe in the core behaviors and go above and beyond,have received letters of recognition from current CEO and co-workers.Very poor management in nutrition services,Healtheast needs to clean house. – less
Sneaky Ploys.
Job Seeker (Current Employee), MinnesotaMarch 18, 2014
Pros: favorable full-time benefits
Cons: need full-time to get favorable benefits
Some friends of mine have lost their jobs in the past years under the pretense of a reorganization or been told that their positions were being eliminated. All are accomplished professionals in their 50s.
- One of the most common excuses used to get rid of the older employees was “job elimination.” However, that may have been just an excuse for what – more... is really was age discrimination. The departments were not really eliminating the job, just changing the title and put someone younger in their former positions. The company was supposed to attach to a layoff notice a list of other employees included and excluded from the layoff, along with their ages. Human Resources can be sneaky about the way they put together their reports. Some will show only select departments or specific job titles, which don’t give the whole picture. More often, they’ll include a few under-40 employees to make the bloodletting look less likely. - After years of great performance reviews, they were getting reprimanded for things everyone does, or being nitpicked for things the company didn’t care about before, the company was gearing up for what I call the “suddenly stupid defense.” They were building a case to get rid of them for poor performance. One way was to force the older employees out was to cut their job duties, limiting their authority and humiliating them with low-level tasks. So you just quit in disgust. Towards the end they cut them out of meetings, excluding them from lunches, and sticking them in offices far from the action. – less
Rudeness has invaded the workplace
Anonomous (Former Employee), MinnesotaMarch 6, 2014
Pros: challenges
Cons: multi-tasking with the patients
I experienced why common courtesy is not so common at HealthEast. There were vicious cycles of disrespect and rudeness, which lead to revenge among coworkers. I witnessed childish adults, pouters, screamers & public attackers.There were constant communication insults. Email bombers,cyber junkies, & no responders. The Incivility affected productivity – more... and increased turnover. Silent bystanders and wimpy managers encouraged offensive behavior. I often had to deal with drama, gossips, snobs & office divas… all these people seem to have forgotten the basic rules of courtesy and respect. – less
I enjoyed working with stafff and patients
MLT (Former Employee), Midway, St.Paul, MinnesotaFebruary 27, 2014
Outgoing staff, willing to help when needed a positive atmosphere.
Which Is of HealthEast End.
Anonymous (Current Employee), MNJanuary 21, 2014
Quoted by HealthEast Care System:

"Our faith-based and culturally responsive care philosophies support diversity and inclusion; we value and respect the individuality and diversity of our patients, employees, providers and others with whom we interact."

- My experience at HealthEast -

'Blessed are the poor (donate heavily). Blessed are the meek (obey). – more... Blessed are the humble (don’t question authority). Blessed are the hungry (make us rich while you starve). Blessed are the merciful (if you catch us doing something wrong, let it go). Blessed are the pure of heart (switch off your brain). Blessed are the timid, the cowardly, the fearful. Blessed are those who give us their power and become our slaves.'

Quoted by HealthEast Care System:

" At HealthEast, we are a collaborative, supportive work culture that leads to low employee turnover, high is of equal importance in the innovative, high quality and compassionate care we provide each and every day. Satisfaction scores and the unlimited opportunity to reach your potential. We understand that it’s the people who make the difference at HealthEast. So no matter what your area of expertise is, your contribution is valued."

- My experience at HealthEast:-

Observed management spawning ugly gossip, pitted certain employees against one another, causing a communication breakdown among teams. I've witnessed, increased job biases and favoritism, and a hostile work environment.

Examples of bullying behavior from my Director and Department Manager included: unjust criticism of my work performance, and withheld information and other resources needed for me to perform my job. Management ignored me,deprived me of responsibility/tasks. Gave me an unmanageable workload, assigned the most unpleasant tasks when you asked questions ignored my opinions, hinted that I should quit, excluded and isolated me, unjustly criticized my performance, reminded me about blunders, devalued and persistently criticized my work.

Quoted by HealthEast Care System:

I was told by the Human Resource Department, "trust your employer!"

- My experience at HealthEast -

My experience transcends to the customer's, I cannot recommend HealthEast to anybody. – less

February 3, 2014

Employees learn very quickly who’s in charge, and who calls the shots!

Surgical Services
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: beautiful surroundings in a state of the art hospital
Preadmission, preoperative and post anesthesia care with the focus being the orthopedic patient, however this level two hospital accommodates all general surgery patients.
Save Yourself!
Job Seeker (Current Employee), MinnesotaNovember 4, 2013
Pros: pizza
Cons: pizza is a substitute for pay raises.
My Director creates a climate of fear and anxiety. She rules through rigid control, negativity, she makes a climate of anxiety and fear to ensure that no one steps out of line – I am afraid to bring up concerns for fear of being attacked about 'problems' – Her attitude is "aren’t they lucky to have a job"? Why all the whining and snarky faces? The problem – more... is that her snooty attitude is not only unprofessional, but demeaning. What makes it worse is Human Resource blames me for her behavior and dismissed me as a 'trouble maker'. I advise you not to put all of your eggs in one basket and keep your options open. – less

November 8, 2013

That sounds like my Supervisor. Maybe they're related. Thank you for your comments. I think I will borrow your review, and pass it on.

Pure hell
Surgical Services (Former Employee), St JohnsOctober 25, 2013
Pros: i did made some wonderful friends while working at healtheast
Cons: poor management and treatment of employees
I would never work for this organization again. Everyday was hell, the atmosphere is hostel and unfriendly. Management together with Human Resources are a lawsuit waiting to happen. I've never been treated so poorly by Human Resources, I was railroaded and never knew what hit me until it was to late and I was out the door..And this happened to me over – more... 2 years ago and it is still painful to relive. – less

1 2 3

About HealthEast Care System

A Journey Like No Other Starts Right Here. Throughout the East Metro, there is a health system dedicated to creating the best – Read more

HealthEast Care System Photos