HealthEast Care System

HealthEast Care System Employer Reviews

HealthEast Care System Is Over-Rated!
Anonymous at Corporate (Current Employee), St. PaulNovember 10, 2014
Pros: it's a job.
Cons: it's not a career.
The organization is trying to be a real healthcare system, It's a joke, when watching from afar... it seems like every department is ran like a blundering bureaucracy with mixed directions.
I Too Survived HealthEast!
Technician (Former Employee), St. PaulOctober 31, 2014
Pros: free cafeteria ice water and flushing toilets.
The Lead Technician in the department I worked in, bullies subordinates all the time. She acts as a poor excuse for someone in a lead position, her vanity and ego is so overblown that such a concept of bullying is beyond her. She preys on people who need to work and treats them like indentured servants. The Management and HR do nothing, the management – more... favors this person and cannot see any wrongdoing on her part.The management believes her actions are subjective to others interpretation. It’s hard to survive HealthEast on a daily basis. It is a sad and unfortunate place to be in. – less
Do yourself a favor: apply somewhere else!
Anonymous (Former Employee), Woodbury, MNOctober 30, 2014
Pros: it's a paycheck.
Cons: see above.
I don't even know how to accurately describe the level of dysfunction within HealthEast.
-Most of the managers are horrible and unqualified. They either have their jobs because they know someone, they're brown-nosers, or the company is so desperate they can't find anyone else to fill the position. Or all of the above. Managers either do nothing about – more... employee concerns or they create an environment of fear so you never complain.
-Upper management is completely out of touch. They have unrealistic expectations of employees and make rash decisions based on what they think will save the most money. What always ends up happening is that their decisions end up creating a disaster which costs the company more in the long run.
-Doctors are catered to and held to a different standard than other employees. They get to bully other staff members because they bring in revenue.
-Employees are underpaid unless they're in leadership.
-There's a million job openings because employees are fleeing left and right. In my department alone, 9 employees (including myself) have left since June. They're at the point that they can't fill those positions unless the candidate is completely unqualified because their reputation is horrible. My nickname for HealthEast is "The Island of Misfit Toys" because just about everyone who works there wouldn't be able to find a job anywhere else. – less
Not the "bench - mark for quality health care. .."
in OR (Former Employee), St. PaulOctober 27, 2014
Pros: it's a job
Cons: management, hr, no advancement opportunity, poor compensation/benefits
Like all health care organizations, this one has very clique management. If someone decides they don't like you, a personal vendetta is launched. You'll get micro - managed and nit - picked to death while your coworkers (who can be doing nothing different than you) will hear nothing. HE is not helpful and not educated on labor laws (FMLA in relation – more... to maternity leave, for example). I worked there four years and got ONE raise....there was a wage freeze for non-union employees. Meanwhile, benefits got more expensive. – less
I want to leave but I can't!!! Save yourself!!!
N/A (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 26, 2014
Pros: a few great team members
Cons: management's blind eye and lack of management
I currently work within the Healtheast Care System and although my department has improved considerably there is still fear, hostility, and depression. I agree with other reviews that as an employee you really don't have a place of value when voicing an opion or concern. In my department managers worry only about themselves and their workload. If you – more... have a problem don't bother speaking up because not much will be done to rectify the issue.

My experience has been as follows:

- manager calling an all employee meeting in the middle of a work day to address gossip about herself.
- manager arguing with employees in department infront of others.
- two team members reading employee files that contained manager reviews and gossiping about confidential information. Neither person was written up just talked to.
- management trying to force team members to train with an associate that had been battling a head lice infestation for over a week. She was never sent home and was allowed to come to work until an employee complained to HR.
- cannot go get breakfast, water, or coffee fom the cafeteria without it being considered a 15 min break, cannot take a bowel movement for a extended period without it being considered a 15 min break, cannot physically leave the hospital campus for lunch without having to forfit your automatic paid 30 min lunch period. Supposedly its a liability to leave while clocked in but if you eat on the hospital grounds you do not need to clock out.
- team members being allowed to gossip and create a hostile environment with little to no repercussions.
- Being bullied at work by team members locking my desk draws and bending the key sideways. Complained to management and was told nothing could be done because she couldn't prove who it was. This was frustrating because there was a clear group of women who lead the gossip and bullying behavior. My desk was tampered with at least 4 times.

Overall, I want to leave but I'm stuck for now because of the convience of my commute and because I'm working on finishing my degree. Go somewhere were you'll matter and be valued! – less
Great company with alot of opportunity.
Patent Registrar/Medical Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Maplewood, MNOctober 15, 2014
Great company with a wide varity of opportunities. Many locations around the St Paul Area offer alot of options for work locations.
NOT Great to Work for, NOT Good Pay, NOT Great Staffing Levels.
Care Giver (Current Employee), ST. PaulOctober 13, 2014
Pros: fire exits.
Cons: the pay isn't worth ruining your health over it.
Management wants you to follow all protocols, but there are times you are forced to skip some steps because you are short staffed and on time constraints. Management looks the other way, until something bad happens, then they are forced to discipline the employee. Management would start a committee and drink coffee over snacks until they agree on what – more... went wrong and how to fix it. Which surprises me every time! – less
Busy, fast paced work environment, but we had a lot of employee pot lucks too
Physician Support Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Maplewood, MNOctober 9, 2014
Pros: co-workers, worked independantly
Cons: was really far from my home
I worked 2 seperate roles at Mercy. I started in Sterile Processing and worked there for 5 years. I liked being a behind the scenes part of the Operating Room team. We kept the instruments in good working order and tracked sterilization of the various items needed in surgery. We also worked within the O.R., in what they call the ballroom. We "picked" – more... items for cases, sutures, needles etc. and "flash" sterilized those instruments that were needed for a case that didn't allow for a full sterizlization. I liked everything about this job and only left it because the hospital was offering free education/certification to become a health unit coordinator and this was more pay and better hours. – less
Short staffed and overworked
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee), St. PaulOctober 6, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: short staffed and overworked
I worked at Healtheast 2011-2012 in IT/Helpdesk. I had the best coworkers ever!!! That was the redeeming factor in the department. There was 3 staff that had been there for a number of years and were nothing but helpful.
The job itself was extremely stressful. I was given feedback monthly about what I needed to do to improve the quality of my performance. – more... I took that feedback and worked hard to improve my performance. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to improve. I was part of a merger and when the merger contract was renegotiated I was let go. I was given subjective feedback of poor performance that wasn't backed by objective statistical facts.
We were short staffed almost every single day. I 'm not exaggerating when I say I hardly had time to take a deep breath between calls.
I told my coworkers well in advance that my supervisor would be firing me. They did not believe it. Unfortunately, they were the ones that had to pay the price. It meant more work for them. The supervisor was not one to pitch in on a regular basis. It wasn't her job to take calls!!!
I am a patient at HE. Every time I have to make an appointment, I know I'll be on hold for at least 20 minutes. Schedulers are understaffed too. I'm sure patients yell at them all the time. Management could care less!
Management is busy having their "Meetings." – less
Great place to work, great co-workers. Nice pay.
LPN (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNOctober 6, 2014
Highly challenging job in Psychiatry. Great employees and we were treated well. Very rewarding work.
Would Not Work For Them Again
Temp (Former Employee), St. PaulSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: comparable area wages
Cons: non-caring management, all about making money when they are a non-profit company
The toughest part of this position was depending on someone else's work ethic to get your paycheck. It is ironic that their mission is in the healing ministry of Christ, when they don't even show their own employees any compassion.
Run!
Anonymous (Former Employee), St PaulSeptember 26, 2014
Pros: it was a job
Cons: low pay, unprogressive culture/ethos
This company is, without a shred of hyperbole, the worst one for which I have ever worked.
Low pay: in over 3 years there, I received a total of $1/hr raise. When I found a comparable job at a competing metro healthcare system, the pay raise for the same job description was $8/hr. When I told my HE boss before I left of the pay discrepancy, she merely – more... shrugged. I suppose from her perspective, if she has people who will work for lesser wages, it's all good.
2) old equipment, cheap , inefficient electronic charting system before a new CEO brought them into the 21st c. With a scrapping of the old system and a move to EPIC.
3) Not requiring employees to be credentialed in keeping with the industry standard and even metro norms. These under credentialed, undereducated folks with whom I worked are simply not employable at other metro hospitals due to their inability/unwillingness to keep current with industry standards. While I was there, 3 coworkers applied for a supervisor job. Two had bachelor degrees and the advanced credentialing standard everywhere else. The 3rd employee, who got the job, had the basic credentials(1 yr degree) in spite of having never worked anywhere else in her 30 yr. career, and not having availed herself of HE educational reimbursement to continue any sort of education in that long tenure. – less
Great Place to Work
Radiology Scheduler (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNSeptember 23, 2014
Work family balance is important part of the company. Exceptional people to work with.
ETHICS???
Pharmacy (Current Employee), Twin Cities RegionSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: others rally around to quietly, saying, “just let it go… there’s nothing you can do! you’d better be careful or you’ll be gone!”
Cons: no one speaks up, no one stands up against her because they fear for their own personal loss, they accept their place without a voice, they know speaking up will get you punished or blacklisted or fired.
My Director again terminated one of my co-workers. She jumped on an opportunity to throw her under the bus due to a mistake she made. Long story short, she was put on a “performance improvement plan”. Shortly afterwards, she was fired over an ANONYMOUS report of a policy violation which was never proven or fairly investigated. Prior to that, the Director – more... sought and injected a small number of employee’s into her plan. She directed them into giving written summaries of wrongdoings they “supposedly” had witnessed against the coworker. After reading their reports, she had the gall to tell them to rewrite them to include her version of events, which is basically a lie. All under the watchful eye of HR, after she made a complaint to them. HR instructed her to report her complaints to several HR Generalists over several weeks, so it didn't look like only one HR employee had full responsibility. – less
Clinic Coder II - (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 25, 2014
I enjoy working at the clinics. Health care benefits are excellent, and tuition reimbursement has been helpful.
Don't Trust Human Resources!
Medical (Current Employee), Saint PaulAugust 20, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: backlash
My Manager just asks questions for the sake of asking questions, not because she wants to learn anything. She is trying to challenge my intelligence or make me look unprepared or inept in front of others. Sometimes her questions feel like a frontal assault. She asks a number of questions but never gives me an opportunity to answer. She has a very abrasive – more... style. She is rough around the edges and is often too direct, cold, and blunt. She also doesn’t hesitate to “dress down” or confront me in front of others.

In addition, she micromanages all of us and it drives us crazy. She blamed me when I did what she asked and things didn’t turn out as she had hoped. Unfortunately, she often blames others to avoid responsibility and to escape the spotlight being shined on her poor performance. I reported her to the human resource department and they did nothing, but reported me. I have had nothing but backlash ever since. Warning don’t trust the HR department! – less
Purgatory
Anonymous (Current Employee), St. PaulAugust 11, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: disgruntled managers
I began my new job with a bounce in my step, I was thankful that I was given a chance and was eager to please. Hey, it was a fresh start. But somewhere along the line, something made me change. The pilot light went off, and with it, my passion and productivity. The trouble started when the work incrementally built up. When I was hired, I was given a – more... copy of the job description. Soon, there was more duties then I bargained for. My manager shoehorned in the other-duties-as-required. It started to worsen when those “other duties” now become permanent, time-grabbing tasks. It seemed that my hard work just created more hard work. I am told I am a “team player,” but I soon grew tired of that bland carrot.

The employee engagement events and surveys feel a lot like voluntary coercion. The employees are welcome to attend the pizza parties and the ice cream socials, as long as they mingle, relax and still manage to meet their tight deadlines for the day. Likewise, the employees are free to answer questions on their employee engagement survey honestly, as long as they are the answers management wants to hear.

I sense that I am working for soul-sucking vortexes. I won’t stay here long…it’s just a stepping stone in my career path. I cannot wait to get out of this purgatory. – less
HE Homecare
Customer service (Current Employee), Home careJuly 26, 2014
Cons: working shorthanded, horrible compensation, the interview and the job are actually two different pictures and what you're promised, they're too many cons i don't know where to start
For a healthcare organization who prides itself on health and wellness, the work/life balance is so disrespectful it's hard to describe.
I've never worked for any place where employees were driven into the ground by working such long ridiculous hours.
Work in horrible conditions loud noise, not enough space/ rude gossiping coworkers and a workload that – more... requires at least another five people to get the job done and is now done by just a few.
Management pacifies employees with stupid solutions to obvious problems.
Working shorthanded all the time and being expected to actually get the work done of many is an insult.
I work with people who actually behave like gossiping rude teenagers.
So many eyes watching when you come and go that you feel like a prisoner.
Funny how nobody watches when you're staying beyond the time you're supposed to be off. – less
morale is declining
counseling staff (Current Employee), St. Paul mnJuly 20, 2014
Pros: fun coworkers
Cons: unrealistic expectations of work
I've been at healtheast since 2011 & hired on in June of 2012. since that time, many changes have occurred.

#1 VBI - instead of mgmt fixing the problem, we are to now write out a card of a process that we want to change. and then we - the employee - are required to "fix it." because, apparently I have the time to not only focus on my current caseload/roster – more... of patients, I mean "customers" but I have the time to do mgmts job too. waste if time!

#2 Epic

the worst training(if you want to call it that) ever! we're almost 2 months in AND I'm still struggling. it takes me twice as long to do my job. also...our dept is on a hiring freeze as epic cost a lot of money. which means no new hires to help out an already short staff.

#3 allowing incompetency

keeping people on that have no idea what they're doing or keeping people that have been there for a long time. however, this person is so focused on controlling everyone else's jobs that she forgets to tell you about appts! she doesn't do the job she's required to do - instead she wastes her time overlooking my job (which she is grossly unqualified for) and doesn't get her part done.

I'm so sick of this place! I can't wait to leave! – less
At Your Own Risk!
Patient Care Network (Former Employee), St. PaulJuly 9, 2014
Pros: atms
Cons: leadership
I have been working for HealthEast Care System for many years now and I've learned that the company is nothing but a bunch of hypocrites who don't care about their employees. They lie, show favoritism, and insist on promoting people who are just simply not prepared for the position they are filling.
It's not about what you know, it's about who you know – more... and unless you’re willing to be their department snitch you won't get anywhere in the company.
In fact the more you try to stand up for your morals and the "teachings" of HealthEast the more they demote you and cut your hours until you are forced to quit or find a supplemental job. Even the customers notice a change in the company. Before they saw smiling faces and employees willing to help them out but now they see sad, defeated faces with fake smiles.
I used to believe this was the company I wanted to be with for the rest of my life. Now I refuse to even recommend any patient care from HealthEast to the Public, because I know what is going on behind the scenes. – less

1 2 3 4

About HealthEast Care System

A Journey Like No Other Starts Right Here. Throughout the East Metro, there is a health system dedicated to creating the best – Read more

HealthEast Care System Photos