HealthEast Care System

HealthEast Care System Employee Reviews

I Also Survived HealthEast Care System
Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Woodbury, MNJuly 27, 2015
Pros: At the beginning good starting wages.
Cons: Selected pay increases for contract employees.
Please learn from my mistake working for HealthEast Care System. If you stay long, you will pick up bad habits that can hurt you even after you move on. If you spend too long in this dysfunctional workplace and try to modifying your behavior to accommodate bad management, those experiences can reshape your ideas of normal in ways that can hurt you both personally and professionally.
Like most managers and HR professionals, and I use that term very loosely. I believe they know the difference between right and wrong. HR exists to protect the status quo, and remove any employee that threatens their existence. I learned to keep my head down, and never spoke up and even covered up mistakes when they happened.

While this behavior served me well in my job, those habits can be enormously damaging in a health care workplace.

Competent employees who suffer at the hands of self-indulged bullies, usually have no choice but to voluntarily resign like I did.
Growing Pay Freezes and Health Benefit Increases
STERILE PROCESSING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), MaplewoodJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Library
Cons: Unsavory management
When I first started I received good wages but not anymore because of the ongoing pay freezes for the non-contract employees. Spread over time, the wage I started with seems low now. I guess that's how they draw employees in? Meanwhile the benefits keep increasing for non-contract employees, especially the health coverage.
Worst company in healthcare
Nursing Float Pool (Current Employee), Woodbury/MaplewoodJune 29, 2015
Pros: Awesome co-workers, decent pay with great health insurance benefits
Cons: Management (or lack thereof), Poor patient care, No policies - they make up rules as they go and they're different for "favorites"
HealthEast is by far one of the worst companies I have ever worked for in the healthcare field. In my first two months of employment, SEVEN clinic managers, and directors have resigned, over a dozen nurses, and countless doctors - all quit. Why? Poor management, favoritism, lack of staff, poor patient quality, just to name a few. It's sad really. A company built to help people that continually turns patients away for being even just 5 minutes late for an appointment, has little to no policies in place, and quite frankly - horrible quality/infection control that will make your skin crawl.

Mind you the pay is good compared to others, but certainly not worth the headaches. There was very, very minimal training when starting a position. When staff asked for additional training, they were told "that's not how we do things around here." If you ever need help or an answer to something, expect to get 7 different answers from 7 different of your 'managers,' and expect the final answer to change in one week. Employees are continually picked on in front of other staff, driven out of their positions, or pushed to their limits so badly that they ultimately resign. If you are not a favorite, or if you're someone new, expect to be treated that way. There were so many red flags for me well before I even started my position. I should've listened to them. I never would have wasted my time.

HealthEast's motto should be, "Everyone is replaceable - employees and patients alike."
Growing Company
STERILE PROCESSING TECHNICIAN (Current Employee), Maplewood, MNJune 17, 2015
Great company that invests in their employees. Continually growing. New CEO has come in and really invested in the company and employees alike to ensure that HealthEast is a benchmark of quality for the East Metro.
Great place to grow
MANAGER (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 12, 2015
I love working at HealthEast. There are many opportunities for growth while providing care for patients in our communities. The leadership really cares about its employees across the system.
Captain Obvious
Nurse Assistant (Current Employee), St. PaulApril 20, 2015
Pros: Can transfer from your department
Cons: Management does not care about employees
I was constantly called “Captain Obvious.” Most of time I asked for assistance for understanding workload. I always seem the subject of practical jokes and pranks. Because I am new and from school. They seemed to be surprised when I told them this was considered disrespectful! When I explained my experience from coworkers to management, all I got was rolled eyes. I would like to get experience and go somewhere else for respect.
Not the company it used to be.
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), minnesotaMarch 11, 2015
Pros: worked with a fantastic doctor
Cons: horrible management and senior leadership
This used to me a company that cared about employees. Now they are only concerned about money. Management is horrible. If you're not one of their favorite people you're bullied until you quit like I did.
Survived HealthEast Care System!
Patient Registrar (Former Employee), Saint PaulFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: comparable metro area compensation.
Cons: not enough trust between rank-and-file employees and management.
During my time with the organization, I saw many people come and go. Healtheast Care System has a tendency to keep and promote the employees with a lackluster work effort who exert little to no effort in the job. The hard working employees were the ones to leave instead. This organization seems to be governed by fear. Fear of impending re-organizations and reporting structures. Fear of innovation and forward thinking. Leadership is afraid of making decisions and being accountable for their actions. Employees are afraid to speak up during team meetings and voice their opinion for fear of being chastised and belittled by management and leadership. I have witnessed this behavior on several occasions. The HealthEast “values” that they preach have little effect on the organization, since leadership and management does not regularly practice these beliefs. Moving up in the organization can be difficult if you don’t know the right people. For upper level positions such as directors and above, they usually hire external candidates instead of their own people. Towards the end of my time at HealthEast, I witnessed many unhappy employees and I too became one of them. I wanted a job with a company that respected my opinions, one that would allow me to actually do my job instead of being micromanaged on a daily basis, and one that I wouldn’t feel physically sick to come into every day. My happiest day was my last day at the organization. I believe HealthEast has a bigger problem though, Instead of unhappy people leaving, … they have unhappy people staying!
Poorly managed
Staff RN (Former Employee), MinnesotaFebruary 18, 2015
Nurses are not protected as they should be. Customer service is the most challenging which must be incorporated with patient care. When staff is supported, patients receive far better care
Messed Up!
Anonymous (Former Employee), Saint PaulFebruary 13, 2015
Pros: i am thankful for my escape!
Cons: i cannot be thankful i made a complaint.
I made a complaint to my supervisor regarding two co-workers engaging in sexually inappropriate comments to each other while in-front of co-workers, causing us to feel uncomfortable. One of these coworkers correctly assumed it was I, who complained. I had previously told this coworker that it was inappropriate and if they wanted to talk that way, go to a bar! Ever since, I have been ridiculed almost daily by these two coworkers and was even told I should “get some” so I won’t be so angry and jealous all the time. I regret not having put my complaint in writing because my supervisor denied knowing about my complaint, after I went to HR. This is one of the reasons I cannot stay here!
I loved my job with HealthEast
Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: working at home
Cons: sedentary lifestyle
I enjoyed a 20+ year career at HealthEast before my job was eliminated. There was always an opportunity for continuous learning. Everyone was great to work with.
I learned a lot about how much the ER is taken advantage of.
Physician Assistant (Former Employee), Maplewood, MNFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: exciting.
Cons: drug seekers!
I really enjoyed seeing patients in the ER. There was always something new and challenging. Most of the staff were very great at what they do and were a fun group of people to work with.
I loved My Job...untill
Storekeeper (Former Employee), Saint PaulJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: many going away parties
Cons: no opportunity for growth
I had to take time off of work, due to a illness. I needed to take intermittent leave again. I apparently wasn't eligible because I hadn't worked 1,250 hours in the preceding 12 months and won't be eligible again until I work 1,250 hours within one year. It eventually got back to me, that my manager was upset that I was causing havoc with the work schedule. One of my coworkers thought I was a pain and a terrible employee. Soon after, I was fired...apparently for other reasons.
Enjoyable clinic to work for.
Patient Registrar, Full Time (Former Employee), Maplewood ClinicJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: satisfied patients.
Cons: not being able to help a patient.
A typical workday consisted of registering patients for appointments. scheduling future appointments, verification of insurance, handling co-pays, and filing patient information into medical records.

My co-workers made it an enjoyable environment to come into every day.

The hardest part of this job was that it was a high volume clinic and on occasion, not every patient could be helped.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the patient care aspect of the job. Being able to help a patient and making the patient happy and comfortable made my day better as well.
Some get good compensation and benefits – Most don’t
Staff (Current Employee), St. PaulJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: raises and year-end bonuses for contract employees.
Cons: pay freezes for non-contract employees while you see them expanding and building new facilities, .. jumping through many hoops to recieve outside educational benefits you are qualified for.
HealthEast offers fair market pay for some and they study the market to ensure this is. There are some opportunities for flexible hours and schedules. They like to offer education within the organization on the methodologies they want to use.
Good compensation and benefits
Registered Nurse - Complex Medical Unit (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNDecember 6, 2014
Good compensation and benefits for the employees. Helps my professional and personal growth. They provide flexible schedule. My co-workers are very friendly.
HealthEast Care System Is Over-Rated!
Anonymous at Corporate (Current Employee), St. PaulNovember 10, 2014
Pros: it's a job.
Cons: it's not a career.
The organization is trying to be a real healthcare system, It's a joke, when watching from afar... it seems like every department is ran like a blundering bureaucracy with mixed directions.
I Too Survived HealthEast!
Technician (Former Employee), St. PaulOctober 31, 2014
Pros: free cafeteria ice water and flushing toilets.
The Lead Technician in the department I worked in, bullies subordinates all the time. She acts as a poor excuse for someone in a lead position, her vanity and ego is so overblown that such a concept of bullying is beyond her. She preys on people who need to work and treats them like indentured servants. The Management and HR do nothing, the management favors this person and cannot see any wrongdoing on her part.The management believes her actions are subjective to others interpretation. It’s hard to survive HealthEast on a daily basis. It is a sad and unfortunate place to be in.
Do yourself a favor: apply somewhere else!
Anonymous (Former Employee), Woodbury, MNOctober 30, 2014
Pros: it's a paycheck.
Cons: see above.
I don't even know how to accurately describe the level of dysfunction within HealthEast.
-Most of the managers are horrible and unqualified. They either have their jobs because they know someone, they're brown-nosers, or the company is so desperate they can't find anyone else to fill the position. Or all of the above. Managers either do nothing about employee concerns or they create an environment of fear so you never complain.
-Upper management is completely out of touch. They have unrealistic expectations of employees and make rash decisions based on what they think will save the most money. What always ends up happening is that their decisions end up creating a disaster which costs the company more in the long run.
-Doctors are catered to and held to a different standard than other employees. They get to bully other staff members because they bring in revenue.
-Employees are underpaid unless they're in leadership.
-There's a million job openings because employees are fleeing left and right. In my department alone, 9 employees (including myself) have left since June. They're at the point that they can't fill those positions unless the candidate is completely unqualified because their reputation is horrible. My nickname for HealthEast is "The Island of Misfit Toys" because just about everyone who works there wouldn't be able to find a job anywhere else.
Not the "bench - mark for quality health care. .."
in OR (Former Employee), St. PaulOctober 27, 2014
Pros: it's a job
Cons: management, hr, no advancement opportunity, poor compensation/benefits
Like all health care organizations, this one has very clique management. If someone decides they don't like you, a personal vendetta is launched. You'll get micro - managed and nit - picked to death while your coworkers (who can be doing nothing different than you) will hear nothing. HE is not helpful and not educated on labor laws (FMLA in relation to maternity leave, for example). I worked there four years and got ONE raise....there was a wage freeze for non-union employees. Meanwhile, benefits got more expensive.
Headquarters