HealthFirst

HealthFirst Employer Reviews

Disorganized, mismanaged, unpleasant
Educator (Former Employee), New York, NYNovember 14, 2014
Pros: location
Cons: just read my comments.
I worked as a Clinical Educator for the Intake Department. I have been in nursing for 30 years and this was the poorest managed, most unpleasant and disorganized company I have ever experienced. From the first day that I was there I experienced an almost comical (looking back) series of events. I endured (not exaggeration) a classroom orientation during – more... which I did not have access to my office computer, cellphone or scanner -- they did not work --and I was told day after day that someone "has been notified and will put you in the system, so meanwhile just follow along and listen". I sat for a week. I emailed my Assistant Director to see if she could help, but she never replied --- never even ventured up two flights of stairs to welcome me. This was a sign.

When I began work in my department my Assistant Director barely acknowledged me, my "preceptor" repeatedly fell asleep while training me - sometimes in mid-sentence, shared very personal and embarassing information with me from the day we met, and displayed erratic behavior fluctuating between angry outbursts, overzealous laughter and sleep. I reported this to my Assistant Director (who had witnessed weeks of this from her desk 3 feet away and said nothing) and she meakly apologized saying that she was sorry that "your orientation has had to be this way" and then did absolutely nothing. My preceptor then began to ask me to perform tasks in very specific ways which seemed questionable but she would assure me that "this is the way it must be done". When I would complete the task, the boss would correct me, telling me that this is not the way it should be done and my preceptor would state "oh I know, I would have done it the other way". When I reported this to the boss, she again said "I'm sorry it has had to be this way. I'm glad you are telling me this. I'm surprised that you didn't walk out the first week. A lot of people would have."

My suspicions that something was seriously amiss with my preceptor were soon verified and she suddenly left on a Medical Leave never to return. I was left to train myself. My office team members were young, dissatisfied and arguing among themselves. I was presented with written goals for the year that were utterly unrealistic and pointless. The Assistant Director would rarely acknowledge my presence but on the few times that she did her demeanor was condescending. She made little eye contact and was socially awkward and rude. She seemed to feel that she was an expert at all jobs and would instruct me as to how to plan my presentations down to the most minute detail. I had to wonder why I had been hired. A word of praise or thanks was never uttered.

I left after 8 months. I will never forget the experience. The office that looked like a circus with dissatisfied employees endlessly grumbling, the mismanagement and lack of leadership. Truly an awful experience. – less
Progressive, stable and results oriented
Director, Member Services (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 26, 2014
Pros: stable company with knowledgeable people
Cons: extremely busy place to be.
A fast paced environment that requires you to exceed standards consistently. Acquired knowledge of products, technologies and key performance indicators. Management requires you to get results and to be an innovative and critical thinker. Co-workers are great and knowledgeable .
Growing company
SENIOR MANAGER (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 17, 2014
this company is growing fast, poor job culture and management.
Eh...it's alright but you need a high tolerance for foolery
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Church StreetOctober 16, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers, telecommute, stipend for internet
Cons: inaccessible, unrealistic management; work life balance; environment frustrating at times
Management in this department was constantly in flux - there were several new managers in my last year (more than 4). The workload for most products was unrealistic, some people did it, most didn't meet all requirements. Don't expect a warm welcome. Most people just try to keep their heads down, do their work and leave.

Telecommute for new employees – more... was after an undisclosed length of time. You went home eventually and they reimbursed you up to about $40 or $50 for your internet bill. Don't get too comfortable. They can and will bring you in from home any day for any undisclosed length of time for any reason, mostly described as the "needs of the business".

No long hours, occasional overtime was available. If you come from a work environment that is stringent, inventory or data driven you can survive here. Those who came from a more lax environment where they celebrate birthdays or they don't have a timer for your work (there really is a timer you clock in and out of) you might find adjusting here difficult, as that's what has happened in the past. – less
Nice company
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Lake Mary, FLOctober 15, 2014
It can be really boring sometimes, all the time on the phones dealing with Medicaid and Medicare clients from NY, setting up appointments, very demanding job
enjoy working
Education Specialist – Medical Management (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 8, 2014
Great management and co-workers
Learned a lot.
excellent teamwork
Numb
Claims Examiner (Current Employee), New YorkOctober 7, 2014
Pros: some friendly coworkers
Cons: mamgement/hr
They lure you in with the promise of telecommuting, then keep you there longer than specified in your interview. Management is unorganized and immature. The Claims Dept has a Bed Bug infestation that they keep from employees, till (like myself ) You suffer from bites and your home becomes infested. They cover the cost for the exterminator but not reimbursed – more... for the prep work necessary for your home to be treated or any loss of furniture (i.e...mattresses) you are then treated as if you have the plague and kept home till your home is cleared then dragged back to the same office where you can once again bring bugs home with you again.
I regret taking this position, but till I find another job I am stuck because my bills wont pay themselves. – less
Company will drain you!
Marketing Representative (Former Employee), QueensSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: helping the community.
Cons: long hours, constant secret shoppers and internal quizzes
The corporate office provides a very professional operation. Working in the field however is totally different. Once your very thorough and challenging training is complete, you are thrown at a site to fend for yourself. You are micro managed to death, reporting your every move even to take breaks. Upper management has unrealistic goals set for you – more... and will push you for "numbers". Your loyalty and hard work are not compensated if you come in from another company such as a merger. You will work long hours with very little pay. – less
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks
Awesome co workers and leaders. It was a pleasure working here and learning so many new things that have helped me become a better employee and person.
false advertising
intake coordinator (Former Employee), new yorkAugust 27, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: everything else
This company is awful,I was training for two weeks when I started I was told this position was you train for three weeks then work from home.well that was not the case at all.they are not nice at at all very unprofessional.when I address ed them and said I think you made a mistake I said I was hired to do intake at home.I just left waste of my time – more... and money traveling. They called to apologize comeback and interview with the departmen t that you were support to work for.so I did I figured they made a mistake,well I had the interview only for them to tell me thank you for your time, didn't apologize never offered me the job.the company is definitely against whites for sure.you ppl should be shut down. – less
There are various quiet rooms to take breaks
Bilingual Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Church Street, New York, NYAugust 24, 2014
It is a company that strives to provide good customer service and help employees cope with stress.
A Good Stepping Stone
Accounts Receivable Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 4, 2014
It was an okay experience, learned a lot happy I do not work there anymore.
ordinary corporate job
Relationship Coordinator (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 3, 2014
Pros: free coffee
This is a job where every day is the same, a lot of sales pressure.
Every minute of your working day is timed and recorded. Your performance is monitored according to the amount of calls you make, accuracy of the appointments scheduled and amount of people enrolled.
not bad but not too good as well.
Intake Coordinator, Medical Management Dept (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 27, 2014
Pros: working from home, when no phone calls then u will be very relaxing
Cons: system slow, time limited, provider makes u frustrated sometimes with mean attitude, confusing about the regulation sometimes, lonely
As an Intake Coordinator, it is pretty relaxing, working as a telecommuter, staying home and taking calls. It can get very boring, or lonely sometimes though but on busy days, it does get quite tiring since you will be on the phone back to back.

There are many changes to the regulation of medicaid and medicare, and sometimes it gets really confusing. – more... Our system sometimes gets slow and freezing which is pretty frustrated when we are to take each call and accomplish each request to the minimum time possible. – less
Revolving Door
Member Services (Current Employee), Lake MaryJuly 16, 2014
Member Services position is posted every week because it is a revolving door, every day somebody leaves or is let go. QI of calls is use to scare instead of promoting improvement after initial training you are really on you own.
Productive and Education environment.
Resolution Specialist (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 16, 2014
This is a great company with all the resources needed for success. There is plenty of room for advancement and they encourage fitness and wellness.
Run away - Micromanaged
Programmer / Developer (Former Employee), New York CityJuly 14, 2014
Pros: nice hot chocolate vending machine
Cons: management, unrealistic plans, stressful job
Get ready to slog your A off. Not an employee friendly organization. Very stressful. Highly bureaucratic. No value for smart people. Micromanaged.
Productive and fast paced.
Provider/Member Services Rep (Former Employee), Lake Mary, FlJune 15, 2014
I loved this job. I began as a provider and member services rep. I assisted in training new hires. I worked every line of business. Later promoted to quality and improvement. My job was very rewarding. I really looked forward to going in to work each day. Later laid off due to budget cuts.
Well Known Insurer in the New York Marketplace
Appeals and Grievances Clerical Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 10, 2014
Healthfirst offers diverse health care products. Healthfirst is a great employer, offering lots of support and direction.
Challenging and motivating work environment
Marketing Representative (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 16, 2014
Pros: company cell phone for marketing purposes
Cons: daily pressure to produce.
Daily prospecting, community outreach, and marketing to clients concerning health plan benefits. Conducting home visits, and collecting documents related to health insurance enrollments. Create weekly progress/production reports.

1 2 3 4

About HealthFirst

Healthfirst is a not-for-profit managed care organization sponsored by some of the most prestigious and nationally recognized – Read more