HealthNow NY, Inc. Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Manager
Grievance & Appeal Manager (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYFebruary 11, 2015
During my 24+ years at HealthNow (aka Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Western New York), I was able to achieve a variety of leadership positions.
Most recently, I was the Manager of two business units, overseeing the day to day operations of the Enrollment and Billing Department for Medicare Advantage as well as the Grievance and Appeal Department the Medicare Advantage and NY State Programs.
I was responsible to ensure all Federal and NY State guidelines were met. I maintained staffing levels through the selection and hiring process of new staff, the education and provision of accurate processing materials to existing staff, the enhanced training or re-training of staff that struggled or failed to meet expectations, and the ultimate dismissal of staff unable to overcome the inability to meet goals.
I worked with a variety of co-workers ranging from CEO and CFO to my direct reports.
The hardest part of the job were the hours required of my position. I was normally 'on call' 24 hours per day and was required to travel to our Buffalo location, oftentimes for days at a time. I was expected to be available telephonically during my vacation, weekends, etc.
I enjoyed the team's meeting or exceeding input and output expectations. I was very instrumental in the creation of new processes which allowed our organization to experience a sharp increase in Star Rating by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), which ultimately positioned the organization to obtain increased revenue as well as strengthen their position in the insurer community.
Pros
Job satisfaction, compensation, benefits.
Cons
Travel expectations, hours.
Productive workplace, many opportunities for advancement
Training Specialist, NYS Insurance Programs (Former Employee) –  Binghamton, NYSeptember 24, 2013
- Typical day at work involved conducting training classes and/or
creating and maintaining training materials and/or creating and
maintaining desktop procedures
- Learned how to determine what training was needed, how to
conduct training, how to write and maintain training materials, how
to write and maintain desktop procedures
- Multi-level management structure
- Friendly co-workers
Pros
Excellent health benefits, tuition reimbursement, excellent job skills training, generous paid time off policy, many opportunities for advancement