HealthSouth Corporation Employee Reviews

Office Mgr/Accountant/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Upland, CADecember 5, 2016
Great place work. Learned very much regarding the medical field and enjoyed the operations management and accounting functions. Worked with good people who were excited about growth and opportunities for all. The hardest thing was when the office closed and our great team had to disband
Pros
Great management
Cons
Closing of the office
Work environment and staff are exceptional
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VANovember 29, 2016
This is one of the best places to work, especially night shift! The atmosphere and staff are exceptional. Would have loved to finish my nursing career here.
Consistent work schedule with normal holidays off
Rehabilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 23, 2016
Pretty consistent daily routine. Make sure patients come down for therapy, assist the therapists with treatments, and complete necessary paperwork. Hardest part is convincing patients to participate that have no desire. Most enjoyable part is seeing the patients get better.
Pros
Free food that people bring all the time, benefits, consistent schedule
Cons
Average pay, not a lot of opportunites for advancement
Great
Pharmacist (Current Employee) –  TexasNovember 20, 2016
This has been a great company to work for; When the cost of benefits rise at other companies, they do not rise at this company and that to me is very important.
Of course everything isn't perfect but, I'd say its' head and shoulders above other palaces that I've worked
Pros
Staff, family atmospere, cleaniness
Cons
flucuating census causes reduction in hours at times
Wonderful company
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Gadsden, ALNovember 11, 2016
I was pregnant, desperate to find a job. I applied to many places, fast food, etc. Where they turned me down because they thought I was unable to do a good job while pregnant. Healthsouth gave me the chance to work for them and I must say this is a wonderful place to work for. They show you appreciation and treat their employees with so much respect. I worked as a rehab nurse tech and while the job can be physically demanding, it has much room for you to advance and move up with the company.
Pros
Great staff, professional environment, cheap lunches
Cons
Physically demanding, must do things in a very timely manner, rather large work load some days
not a good place
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLNovember 10, 2016
very stressful they did put me thru a cna cross training course where I learned how to do bladder scans n tube feedings. management was not good back then
Pros
cross training course
Cons
poor working conditions
don't bother
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLNovember 7, 2016
This was a great place to work, until new management came in and took over. It was a place where you wanted to go everyday but with new CEO and her friend CNO it is pure mean and derespectful!! At times you have 16 very sick patients, some that should have never even been there... Very positive the first 2 yrs till new management came in. Over worked understaffed and treated like dirt. Very negative atmosphere
HR is a joke. Stress level is high. They to away Holidays and other things from us. I ended up in the ER for stress and still got in trouble for missing work.... Worst place to work. Its all about the money there and not about the patients or workers. CNO has no idea what she is doing.
Pros
Cons
everything
I wouldn't do it
Occupational Therapist Registered (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 4, 2016
The corporation as a whole has it together business wise. Company wide there are good opportunities and probably great work cultures.

I can only speak for the specific site that I worked at and have to say it was a less than exceptional experience.

Staff turnover is very high. There is a reason!!!!

They brag about being salary paid so you can 'leave early' but don't ever think you will get to because you are nickeled and dimed for all your time.

It was a witchy environment. The supervisors choose favorites who they set up for promotions while others are demeaned and picked on.

The supervisors rely on staff/team member's opinions of a person for professional reviews. They never observe for themselves if they have a doubt.

They encourage and accept coworker sabotage.

They tell you to medicate and come in anyways if your sick.

They don't offer growth opportunities to all staff. Just their favorites.

Since staff turnover is high they get a lot of new grads who come in and then leave once their contract is up. So if you're older the work culture is young.

They only care about years experience at their hospital. Seniority is a big deal only if management likes you. If they don't care about you it doesn't matter how long you've been there.

I never want to work for that specific site again. But I think the overall company is great. There are a lot of opportunities to have a fieldwork student and some of the therapists there are exceptional people.

It's a good place to gain a lot of skills fast and then move on.

The dynamics at
  more... that specific hospital are tricky and bullying/tattling are accepted.  less
Pros
Interdisciplinary team work, good pay, good insurance
Cons
Lack of growth opportunities
Good at first then got horrible
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXNovember 1, 2016
I worked for this company for 3 years they do not care about there employees Nurses are lazy and the Techs are over worked I could be running around with 5 bed alarms going off and not once would a nurse go check the bed alarm the DNO was the fakest she never followed through with what she said she would do talking to her or anyone in hire management was like talking in circles you got no where couldn't get away from this place fast enough
Pros
Cons
Everything is wrong with this place
Wonderful Overall
Fieldwork Level II (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYOctober 30, 2016
Therapy is completed on hourly basis. No time in between patients to write notes. Notes are written usually during lunch period. Late days are to be expected to catch up on notes and create next day's schedule. Co-workers are very helpful and so is PRN staff. Therapy techs are helpful as well. Most difficult part of the job is time management. The most enjoyable part is always the patients.
Pros
Free lunches for students, lunches are healthy and tasteful
Cons
Very Fast Paced
Chief Nursing Officer (Current Employee) –  Sewickley, PAOctober 29, 2016
HealthSouth is an incredible place to work to learn solid nursing technique while caring for a very diverse population. Management works hard to create a culture of teamwork. Nurses and therapists can grow in their craft with opportunity to advance.
Pros
Small hospital makes it feel more like family
Cons
Can be difficult to manage multiple roles within one job title.
fun but busy environment
Therapy Aide/ Case Management/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Humble, TXOctober 28, 2016
I enjoy working in HealthSouth. The people there are very friendly and easy going. Very good team moral. The hardest part of the job would have to be the constant heavy lifting. What I enjoyed most about my position was conversations with the patients
Great company but horrible Management & Administration
Rehab Nursing Technician (Current Employee) –  Sherwood, AROctober 27, 2016
I really enjoy my co workers and my job taking care of patients in need. Healthsouth offers great compensation and benefits for all positons. However the administration and management at this particular location are extremely unprofessional and lack compassion for their employees and patients. They offer "self-scheduling" but once you make your schedule in the available slots they change your schedule without asking or telling you if it's ok. I had a day shift position and they pulled me to nights without even asking me if it was ok. I have family, school, and a second day shift job that will not allow me to work nights at this time. After being a employee in excellent standing with the company for well over two years they refused to work with me or let me go part time or PRN. If you are a student or have a second job, do not apply. They will not work around other employees schedules either. They have also failed to give pay raises to deserving employees. I am a nurses assistant, not a nurse. The nurse assistants are always understaffed and have back breaking work loads. The patient to nurse ratio is too high. Nurses are required to take up to 11 patients that require very demanding needs. The types of patients that are being admitted to this rehab are generally "too sick" to be in this type of hospital. They should be at a more critical facility. The work load for the nurse to patient ratio is extremely dangerous. Administration is allowing patients that are too sick or too critical to be in this type of hospital setting which is extremely dangerous and they are doing it solely  more... for the money. I care about patient satisfaction and their well being. This company doesn't, they only care about money. 14 employees this money alone have either quit or put in their two weeks notice. If you want a great place to pursue your career I strongly urge you to seek employment elsewhere!
Be prepared to work required mandatory 7 holidays out of the year, they pick which holidays for you. All new hires are required to work every other weekend, no exceptions or the will fire you.
Pros
Good Health benefits, good salary, tuition assistance, friendly co workers
Cons
Bad administration, always understaffed, not flexible with students or second jobs, no compassion
Don't Do It
Environmental Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALOctober 23, 2016
Healthsouth's management only cares about money. If you get sick on the job HR catches and attitude if you nees to leave. Even with a doctors excuse your still not excused. Healthsouth wants you to work on your off days and don't want to pay you your over time.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Management are cons.
It's a great start into health care
Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 15, 2016
Healthsouth is a great place for people getting into the health care field . You learn a lot working here.. my only issue was there was no way for me or any other nurse tech to advance. Unless you were going to school for nursing. The CEO at this location was very active in communicating with fellow employees. I would have stayed if there were more opportunities of me advancing within the company. I know exactly why there were no advancement for "some" of us.. working there.. I just choose not to say on here. I will say this though.. equal opportunity needs to taught here!
Never Work for Healthsouth
S Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FLOctober 14, 2016
Its all about the money
Patients don't get showers for up to 5 days
Dr falls asleep at team conference
Pt reported Dr smelled of etoh
Its all about getting the minutes to bill insurance
Pros
Patients
Cons
Horrible Company
Not a good place
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  DelawareOctober 11, 2016
No team playing, have too many patients, not enough staff, very 'clicky', not enough equipment, no job security.
Also, keep bed/chair alarms on everyone. Also, a patient that was there a month, he was 56, never had a shower or hair washed the entire time. His wife actually had to shave him..
Also, they are very inconsiderate of night shift.
Pros
Pay and 12 hour shifts
Cons
Everything else besides the 2 pros
Good work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 5, 2016
The people I work with really care about each other and helping each other out. Makes for a good work environment. I enjoy how much I have learned since starting work there. The other people I work with have all different types of nursing background and I feel like that has made me a better nurse learning from them. The director of nursing and the nurse managers and supervisors really care about the well being of their nurses.
This place is horrible
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNOctober 2, 2016
I worked there for a year and a half I got treated bad and they do not care about their employees or patients . I actually hear they higher up management say they only care about the insurance money and not their patients. They do not care about anyone but their selves. I had to get out of there. Health south has no idea what they are doing they can not keep any patients or employees and good luck trying to get hours.
Pros
Cons
Everything!
Great place to work, excellent management, job flexibility
Clinical Nurse Liaison (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDSeptember 28, 2016
I work as a nurse liaison in the admissions/marketing department for HealthSouth. I have worked here a little over 3 years and love it. The environment is very positive and the management is great. The only downside would be the salary- my position needs a market adjustment to be competitive. It pays about 10k + less than others for the same title.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthSouth Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9