HealthSouth Corporation

HealthSouth Corporation United States Employee Reviews

Nursing and Therapy staff are great people, but not so much with Management
Hospital Educator, Employee Health Nurse (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 15, 2015
Pros: lots of hours available (as long as not overtime)
Cons: management obsessed with ranking scores, more emphasis on profitability than on staff welfare or patient safety
Nursing and Therapy staff are very knowledgeable and caring towards the patients, but frequently management places higher emphasis on PEM scores, Nursing hours per pt day, and other metrics.
Case Management Assistant (Current Employee), Rock Hill, SCApril 14, 2015
Great learning experience
Good people to work with
Fast pace
Always growing
Never a dull moment
Very nice
Very clean
work is ok
Staff Nurse/ Supervisor (Current Employee), Florence, SCApril 8, 2015
Pros: Health Insurance
Cons: Management
Evening Supervisor, my job starts off getting report, then I view staffing for the next shift. I do leadership rounds on the patients assessing their needs and listening to their concerns. Assist staff as needed. Audit charts, admit patients. Start IV's if needed, perform LPN, assessments. As a supervisor I have learned that you are viewed not by your work but what others think of you. It involves interacting will everyone. You have to be fair and consistent in what you say and do. The hardest part of my job is the realization that some people work for a paycheck not because they love nursing. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping others.
Very fast paced
Admissions Representative (Former Employee), Kingsport, TNApril 8, 2015
It was a great environment to work in. There were a lot of quotas to meet and never a chance to be bored. Constantly moving.
Patient
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLApril 7, 2015
Pros: Getting to know lots of people
Cons: Bad Comunication skills
Assist Patient with their everyday needs. Take vital sign and record intake and outtake. I have learn the proper way to address patients that may need a little more assist with than others. I have always work with management and co-workers. I truly believe that everyone should be their for the patient and only the patient. The hardest part of the job is not have the right equipment that we need to work with. The most enjoyable part of this job is know that I am helping to one to get back to where they can care for their self.
Productive and fun place to work.
Health Unit Coordinator/ CNA (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZApril 4, 2015
Pros: Nice people, different patients. Low cost lunches, great food, frree bus passes.
Cons: Some very good coworkers left the hospital.
Best part of my job was everyone knew me by name. I greeted everyone and everyone came to me about the hospital. My coworkers were awesome to me everyday. My patients coming back remembering me taking care of them, or helping with recovery was most rewarding of all.
Daily Fear
former employee (Former Employee), texarkanaMarch 27, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: everything
No training, administration does what they want. Elitist administrators who are not qualified. Policy only applies when convenient for administration or management. CEO has no experience and management style is fear based. Backstabbing co workers and no support from administration. Worst HR ever. Retaliation is very common. Stay away from this place. Census is always low and they cut your hours so you never get a full paycheck. Gossiping, hateful staff.
Terrible Place to work...
LPN (Current Employee), Florence, SCMarch 20, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: micromanaging supervisors
The First 3 months were ok. But after that.. Changes out of no where. HR is one person who seems as if she makes her on rules up as she go. I wouldn't advise anyone to wanna even stay there . The Nursing staff is UNDERSTAFFED!! So when the call lights go out there's little help for the patients. But that's how they save money. Oh and let's not forget about the census.. That never stays up. So don't expect a full pay check. I could go on and on...
Awful
nurse (Current Employee), lower alabamaMarch 13, 2015
Pros: free pay day breakfast
Cons: pay, short break, management, too many meetings, expect miracles
As a current employee at Healthsouth, I can say stay away! Always changes and not for good. Thanks managers and above only care about scores of 5 on patient satisfaction without taking into consideration of how to get that score. The managers treat nurse like McDonald's employees. No respect for the staff. Piling more and more on nurses and expect patient to score 5 on satisfaction. What a joke, always expecting the impossible for nurses and getting talked like a dog to if the nurse can not get to it! The techs absolutely get away with not doing their job. What is there job description? To do baths. Nurse answer most call lights and take pts to restroom and document and give meds and do assessment and discharges and admissions and god forbid if something goes wrong and we slip up and don't see patient right then another trip to office. Never do the nurses get help. The supervisor can not help for all the extra work that is put on them. A recipe for total disaster. There is a high overall turn over rate for nurses here. Some nurses just don't come back when they get off. Does management care? Do they understand why this happens? No, they just hire more and expect miracles!! My blood boils just thinking about it!!! This could be a great place to work but not until management changes the way they think. Sad.
PATIENT AND STAFF PARTIES
L.P.N (Former Employee), Montgomery, ALFebruary 23, 2015
THE PLACE IS A GOOD PLACE TO LEARN REHBILITATION NURSING WITH SKILLS TEACHING OF HOW TO CARE FOR PATIENTS WITH STROKES,BROKEN HIPS,ARMS,KNEE REPARIES,HOW TO DEAL WITH PATIENTS WITH DEMENTIA,RESPITORY PROBLEMS,BROKEN LEGS,AND EVEN PATIENTS WITH TOTAL PATIENT CARE,BLOOD DRAW I.V. SKILLS ETC.
Below Average
Rehab Tech (Former Employee), Birmingham,ALFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: good learning experience
Cons: poor work environment
The pay wasn't good at all. If you weren't a higher up they didn't care about you. Management strictly all about profit and numbers. The foundation of the lakeshore facility needs a makeover from corporate down to the techs. They over work the tech staff in nursing and look down on the tech staff in the therapy department.
very unstable workplace
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Wichita, KSFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: to much favortism
felt that I was doing all the work by myself because I was the late person and worked alone mostly and had a lot of responsibility that should have been handled by supervisor, lack of communication between co-workers and supervisor.
Worst place to work
kitchen (Former Employee), new jerseyFebruary 18, 2015
Worst management team I have ever worked for. No discipline , ignorant employees that brag about collecting food stamps and section eight housing. Back stabbing senior management afraid of firing minority employees.
I agree not a great place to work
nutrition (Former Employee), conroeFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: it's a paycheck
Cons: just about everything else
constantly understaffed. please a lot of good people because of favoritism and straight up bulling. I have nothing more to say
Great therapy environment, low pressure... but that may change
FT Occupational Therapist (Former Employee), ArizonaFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: great equipment, put the therapy patient first, good ceu reimbursement
Cons: horrible starting pay, no career improvement, no hope of pay raise
Started out as a great place for a therapist to work. Good team, low pressure for productivity, all about the patient, excellent equipment, great training. The pay is super low, but that's always the case in acute inpatient. Things might be changing soon as now they're moving to a minute based rehab rather than a unit based rehab schedule. The pressure is on to bill those therapy hours. Everyone is feeling it. As I was leaving I noticed they were beginning to admit more and more and MORE patients who were "less appropriate" for 3 hours of daily therapy. Many were medically unstable, came from long LTAC stays, and just couldn't handle such a demanding therapy schedule. I never felt asked to do anything unethical, but I could feel it coming. I was glad to get out when I did.

$32 per hour with my student loans....I actually went into debt to work here. I couldn't keep it up anymore.
A good teaching hospital.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: having hands-on learning the skill of phlebotomy.
-A typical day at the hospital was checking supplies before floor-to-floor morning rounds. Aproximately 30-40 patients each morning.
-Learned to interact with patients and ease their concerns.
-Good everyday communication with co-workers
-Enjoyed learning new tasks.
Very unprofessional management
RN (Former Employee), Sunrise, FLFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: good payrate, always overtime available
Cons: management, cafeteria, poor staffing
CNO is rude, plays favorites, favors therapy staff over nurses. Too many patients, never adequate staffing. The pay is high Bc no one stays very long. Management is ignorant and becomes testy when nurses question authority. Very little room for growth without kissing up to management.
Horrible Place
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Largo,FLJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: low pay
I have never worked for a company and dealt with a more disrespectful, unprofessional group of woman. Management uses fear to manage staff. Unsafe working conditions. Nurse to patient ratio is dangerous. Hardest part of job is heavy and unsafe patient load, heavy medication pass and trying to stay within the limits of company policy. Lower management contributes to low moral of nursing staff. People frequently quit and turn over is high.The culture within this company is horrible. The CNO and Supervisors are like school yard bullies. I would not remind this place to anyone.
do not work here high turn over rates
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: friendliness first 3mths
Cons: nurses gossiping, giving you there meds to pass, if they dont like you they will fire u for any reason
Bad pay they start EVERY one at same pay at prn $10 with 9 yrs experience!! They constantly fire people and are short staff, the nurses put all the work on you saying they are too busy passing meds to help, and there are personal friends within work if they dont like u they gossip and mske up stuff to get fired. Worse job ever! Healthsouth corporate was wonderful in handling all my problems! Everybody is nice at first beware !!
Acute Care Rehabilitation Hospital
Student Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJanuary 21, 2015
HealthSouth is an acute care rehabilitation hospital with average time of stay 2-4 weeks. Evidence-based practice guidelines are used to treat patients. Each PT/PTA is paired with an OT/COTA to work as an interdisciplinary team. HealthSouth also has an onsite outpatient
clinic.

Clinical experience included assistance with patient caseload due to stroke, spinal cord injury, brain injury, neurological disorders, orthopedic joint replacement, fractures, amputation, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, wound care, cardiac and pulmonary conditions and multiple traumas, under the direction of a PTA and PT. Assisted in patient caseload progress reports, patient documentation and patient and family education

1 2 3 4 5

About HealthSouth Corporation

HealthSouth is actually all over the map as one of the largest rehabilitation services providers in the nation.¬†Its¬†facilities – Read more

HealthSouth Corporation Salaries