HealthSouth Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Great first job in medical field requiring no certification.
Rehab Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXApril 6, 2016
My year at Healthsouth of Wichita Falls was a great one, filled with educational life experience and good hands on work that required me to not only step but leap outside of my comfort zone with strangers, assisting in dressing, bathroom hygiene, walking, and physical/occupational therapy exercises. MY bosses worked well with my schedule and helped me a lot.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No benefits for PRN staff.
horrible upper management
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAJanuary 27, 2016
If you don't suck up to upper management, you won't get very far. They will quickly throw their long time employees under the bus if it makes them look better. With one hand,they throw all of these "perks " in your face, all while holding a proverbial knife behind their back. And the morals of the " higher ups" are questionable. I would not work there again.
Pros
pay, benefits were okay, nice coworkers
Cons
everything else
Paid and Management
Rehab Aide (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VADecember 7, 2015
If somone would have told me about the company a year ago, I would never can here the CNOand CEO has no clue of how to treat the employee less compassion for there staff, staff turnover very high, paid is low consisting the amount of work you do.If you are a Rehab tech you might receive more patient then you can handle, Its like working in a nursing home not a Rehab. The name should be Hellsouth not Healthsouth
Pros
Being to hel patients and nice hardworking co-workers
Cons
staff and benefits
Great Pay & Benefits
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSDecember 29, 2015
The pay and benefits are wonderful but the work culture is less than desirable. Management is supportive but the other staff is not. The average work load is also way too high on most days. It is a physically demanding job and you will hurt when you leave for the day.
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Short staffed, heavy workload, physically demanding, poor culture
This was my first job after i graduated nursing school and was an excellent company to work for.
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 1, 2016
This job gave me so much knowledge and experience. Everyone was so helpful here. My nurse manager was the best boss I ever had.
Pros
Great pay, excellent benefits, great management
Worst place ever
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Understaffed techs have anywhere to m 15-24 patients at night, day shift as well, no support from management, more of a nursing home instead of rehab, techs are expected to get up all patients for all meals even in the mornings when techs have had a heavy load with a big patient loads the night before. Day shift nurses have to take assignments because of lack of staff, majority of the nurses don't help and most nurses will be in a room with a patient, and the patient will ask for something like a bedpan bathroom, or water they will either put on the patient call light or call a tech on the walkie. Anything the nurse complain that a tech does they are written up, the techs don't have any support, this is a rehab hospital but it's not treated as such, it's a skilled facility, techs and nurses are putting in their two week notices at an alarming rate.Management don't care about the nursing staff, the working conditions are overwhelming, you be better off working for a nursing home, less stressful and less back breaking work, nurses talk to techs like garbage, but it's OK, but if s tech respond back it's called insubordination, not worth your lively hood. They tell you in your interview it's a non lifting facility, that's a fat lie, they don't care, it's a head and bed policy that marketing have, the patients can range from being oversize to violent and they continue to take them in, especially the non compliant violent ones.....if you really need a job go there otherwise turn the other direction, worst place ever, no staff very heavy work. FYI I have put my two weeks in can't  more... take it anymore.  less
Benefits
Cons
Overworked understaff, stressful, no support, heavy work, no respect
amazing place to work
Physical Therapy Aide (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 7, 2016
amazing company to work for. gained great experience working with the therapists and nurses. everyone was very friendly.
benefits
Heavy patient load, wonderful RN
RN - Rehab (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 10, 2016
Patient load 9-11 nights and 8-9 days, more and more higher acuity patients, daily transfers out of unstable patients. CEO of location main objective to fill as many beds but not concerned about the acuity and that puts overwhelming pressure on RNs who want to provide great care but have hands tied with heavy pt load. All for growth but need to do it responsibly. This is not rehab it is a med/surg or IMC floor. Nurses are helpful, minimal infighting. Typical nurse managers react to complaints with minimal support and illogical reasoning, remember taking care of 9-11 patients with usually a few requiring higher level of care, hence time consuming other pts and family suffer. Computers, glucometers, wound supplies in short supply, waste time looking for equipment - antique IV pumps and supplies as well as disorganization. Supervisors calling over PA that pt call light on and needs assistance instead of answering light - because the nursing staff is giving report, performing nursing care and CNAs doing vitals, CNA care, passing trays if nurses were available we would be getting lights. Facility does have great rehab personnel and equipment and RN approval in high 80s to 90s consistently. I commend executives for attempting to increase census but need to staff and provide equipment for additional patients
Pros
dedicated coworkers, newer facility/building, weekend doctors who are receptive to nurse/pt requests, decent 401k and benefits
Cons
pay, acuity and patient load 9 - 11, PTO less than other employers, poor cafeteria services, old IV pumps, poorly functioning computers, searching for needed supplies
No better than any other healthcare facility
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toms River, NJSeptember 4, 2015
Frequent short staffing, up to 10/11 patients per nurse on some days. When staffing is good, nurses are sent home (flexed) to save the company money. Patient and staff safety is clearly not a priority. Nurses and aides are constantly asked to sign up for overtime because there is not enough staff-where is the work/life balance? Very low morale. Everyone is miserable. The pay and benefits are okay but not worth what you have to put up with.
Pros
Some great staff members who are really trying their best
Cons
everything else
Horrible place to work
Cna (Former Employee) –  at LouisJuly 9, 2015
I liked the job, a month into working there i start being treated unfairly. I noticed how all Cnas were being over worked. Would complain to management that nurses aren't helping Cnas and nothing would be done. Nurses would complain about Cnas and Cnas would get written up no questions asked. Not a Good place to work management is horrible, do not value your opinion or concerns. work OVERLOAD And is horrible with little to Absolutly No help. Nurses and charge nurses run over you. All management teams play favorites with Cna and RNs . No time to take lunch if working Days. Little to No team work. Nurses will not help Cna at all so don't count on it . Drama Drama Drama . HR is Terrible . I would not recommend anyone work here!
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
management

Want to know more about HealthSouth Corporation?

Ask a question
Healthsouth
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMarch 12, 2016
Not for me . Long hours and really short breaks. Great staff and coworkers. I work night shifts and wish I had thought of the hours and how that would affect my school. Not working out for me as well as I hoped.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
This is a great place to have rehab, the thearpist's are very good at what the do and the staff are very qualified.
rehabilitation nursing techniction (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJune 20, 2016
Working at healthsouth has been a pleasure the management are on site or able to be reached. It is hard work but enjoyable. My coworkers are like family. The hardest part of my job would have to be the bathing or trying to let the patient no that we are not going to
harm them, in words that would not offend them in the least. The most enjoyable is that we all no each other and we work together as a team. The patients and their family's get to no you and that can be a lot of fun.
Pros
dress down day, favorite teams day, crazy hat day etc.
Cons
short lunches
All about the dollars earned
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 18, 2016
My time with Health South was not rewarding at all. Limited training provided, supports lacking from a Nurse Manager who did not know how to be a supportive supervisor and overworked Social Workers who worked too many hours and could never get caught up. The bottom line for this company is obtaining ratings and making money. Patient care is second. While there I was constantly stressed, harassed by the Case Manager Assistant and felt like it was time to go, until I finally went. Limited training options.Managers constantly meddled into one's personal lives and sped it amongst each other. Although the money one can earn is decent, I would stay away unless you desire to work more tan you ever worked before and not be thanked or compensated for doing so.
Pros
Money was decent
Cons
The management; interested in ratings and money.
Horrible place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDApril 17, 2016
Staff for the most part is ok but you have the back stabbers that kiss up to the management. Management is corrupt and don't care how good of a nurse you are, if you don't kiss up they treat you horrible until you quit. They say you can bring your concerns to them but if they do they get mad. Unsafe nurse to patient ratio. Staff getting hurt all the time. All they care about is the money and survey scores. Bring in nonrehabible patients with too high of an acuity. If you dare say anything you're on the hit list. Very toxic environment to work. Everything is run on fear and intimidation. Feel sick just walking into the building its so bad. Rules dont apply to the management's favorites. CEO won't even make eye contact with his employees. Treats us like we are worth his gaze. Don't work here, it's horrible.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
short staffed, overworked, unsafe, corrupt management
Nurses especially new grads beware!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 17, 2016
New grads, they will train you with their software for about 2 - 3 weeks and then you will be with a preceptor for about 5 to 8 days AND THATS IT! After that you have to defend yourself. I was there for 1 LONG YEAR until I completed my BSN and it was hard for me to get to a hospital setting because they are also not recognized as an acute care facility. There is NO CULTURAL DIVERSITY and you are not going to fit in UNLESS YOU ARE CUBAN AND SPEAK SPANISH. The nurses speak in Spanish while in the nurses stations and while being in the patient's room with patients who do not even speak Spanish. THE NURSES WILL EAT YOU HERE. After the administration changed in 2015 it has gone downhill even more. As a full time RN I was working more than 3 days per week with 9 - 10 patients each time and an admission. The patient care technicians (who are called RNTs) are overwhelmed with 10 - 15 full care patients. Management is horrible and so are most of the supervisors. Just don't even bother applying here.
I have thouroughly enjoyed my work at HealthSouth.
PTA PRN (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 14, 2016
HealthSouth is where I got my first hands-on experience with transferring patients, and treating a variety of surgical and generally deconditioned patients. I enjoy working with the geriatric population and have a real passion to educate the patients and their families to help empower them and see them return to doing what makes them happiest. My co-workers at HealthSouth are wonderful, many of them have been on staff for 10+ years and have a wealth of knowledge. They are friendly and show genuine concern in times of struggle and management demonstrates their understanding of how important family time is by no-guilt non-availability. I enjoy working hard for the patients and have a sense of loyalty to this facility because of the way they treat their patients and their staff. We are a great team and the only reason I am considering other opportunities at this time is that I haven't been able to get enough hours lately.
Pros
Young energetic staff who are easy to collaborate with.
Cons
Not enough PRN work to keep me busy for summer time.
Worst Company ever!!!
Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 15, 2016
HealthSouth bought out our hospital and ruined it. Took a company that was dedicated to patient care and turned it into a 3 ring circus. Had shifts of nurses walk off the floor. Shifts of kitchen staff walk out. Therapist going home and working hours at night to do documentation because they are not given time to properly report patient care. Management wants employees to be "puppets." If you are willing to be a puppet this is the company for you. Don't ask a question about their unethical practices towards patient care though. You will be fired without question. This company doesn't care about what the patient's needs are. All they care about is how much money the patient's insurance will pay them. They understaff units and departments and overload employees beyond extremes. Then get write up happy towards those employees when they get behind or ask for help. Their benefits are atrocious for such a large company. It's affordable but doesn't pay for anything. Co-pays are ridiculous for medications.
Great company with some quirks
Controller (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 9, 2016
Overall, fantastic company. Level of intensity is elevated on monitoring and IT capabilities. Everything can be monitored and analyzed. Benefits are awesome! The only negative is that they sold my hospital and gave us six weeks notice, then two weeks prior to sale was completed they advised that my position wouldn't transition to the new company. Would think that a senior director level position would warrant more advanced notice than that. That having been said, the severance was adequate.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Difficult to advance.
Med- surge lite
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLMarch 3, 2016
Post-acute care physical rehab facility, caring for 7-10 patients per shift depending on staffing. Co-workers are wonderful with those few exceptions that are found in any work environment. Management has areas that need improvement. There are disconnects in the interdisciplinary communications. Doctor in the facility during majority of day shift only, making night shift admissions entertaining.
Only apply here if you enjoy murdering patients
Physician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2016
HealthSouth in Memphis, TN is liable for the deaths of multiple patients, and disregarding my advice. It's a horrible place to work, the staff is basically incompetent, but not nearly so much as the CEO. If you're a patient or a medical professional, avoid this place at all costs! They've killed more than one person with their stupidity.
Pros
Cons
Irresponsible nurses, CEO, and administration, killing patients through negligence.

2.9