HealthSouth Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Only apply here if you enjoy murdering patients
Physician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2016
HealthSouth in Memphis, TN is liable for the deaths of multiple patients, and disregarding my advice. It's a horrible place to work, the staff is basically incompetent, but not nearly so much as the CEO. If you're a patient or a medical professional, avoid this place at all costs! They've killed more than one person with their stupidity.
Pros
Cons
Irresponsible nurses, CEO, and administration, killing patients through negligence.
Greatt place to work
Physical Therapist Assistant PRN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 17, 2016
Great Place to work, enjoy working with the staff and great environment to work in. Co workers are great and everyone helps each other out
company out of business
Athletic Trainer / Work Hardening Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2016
This company went out of business years ago. They were great to work for though! I loved my co-workers and working with patients.
Horrible Work Environment for a Nurse!!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 8, 2016
There is nothing enjoyable about the job at all!!

10-14 patients every shift, which is ridiculous for any nurse!! It should be illegal!! A nurse should never have more than 7 patients. By the time you get off work, your back will hurt, your blood pressure will be high and you will be insane. The nurses have no support from management at all. RNTs are always understaffed and take it out on the nurses (by yelling at them or being insubordinate) instead of management. Management knows that they are frustrated but refuse to address it, they just blame it on the nurses and say "the nurses can do their job also." Several of the nurses have sent the administration and management complaints and they never respond to them.

If you are a nurse, you are at risk for losing your license every time you walk through the door with the high number of patients that you have. You cannot safely round on your patients with the high patient ratio, if a patient crashes or dies on you, you may possibly be sued by the family, Health South will not support you at all. The only way to be on time is to cut corners. If you don't cut corners, and you do things the right way (taking the time to properly identify your patient before giving medication, properly assessing them, getting vitals every 4-8 hours, doing thorough charting), you are seen as a weak link and criticized. The head nurses will not support or will not help you if you are swamped or running behind.

The poor patients soil themselves all the time because there is never enough staff to help them get out of bed to go to the bathroom or
  more... answer their call light in time. Either that or the patients continue to fall because no one is watching them or assisting them when they need it. The nurses are always understaffed and are told by management that they must do RNT work, along with their nursing responsibilities. Which is not fair!! In any given shift the nurses have to get vitals on all 10-14 patients, pass their meds on time, respond to stat labs, start IVs, perform bladder scans, In & Out Caths, Accucheks, and find time to respond to crashing patients which is unreasonable. Either there will either be one RNT on the floor or none at all. If the RNTs are fully staffed, the nurses are still expected to help them even though we are already overwhelmed with their own duties. Any time a nurse takes out the time to help an RNT, this takes time away from their nursing duty, which ultimately effects patient care. While the RNT clocks out on time, the nurse usually has to stay 1-2 hours after their shift just to finish their tasks because they spent most of their shift doing RNT work. This is not conducive to work-life balance.

The RNTs yell at the nurses all of the time, management knows and lets them get away with it. As a nurse, you will never leave work on time, you will never have lunch, take a break, never have time to go to the bathroom, drink water, etc. Then head nurses have the audacity to get mad at you when you don't take your lunch or get off work on time, how can you???

Management will complain to the staff that call lights are not being answered on time and that quality scores are down yet they refuse to address nurse and RNT staffing concerns. They are too cheap to hire agency staff when regular staff call in. So you are left to suffer on your own.

If you value your life, sanity and well-being do not work for HealthSouth as nurse. They will offer you high pay but it is not worth it in the end if you lose your license, cause harm to a patient, have chronic back pain and develop hypertension. The long-term effects of working in this type of environment will eventually lead to a stroke or heart attack. If you value your life and health, do not work here, if you are here and going through this please leave now, because things are never going to change and it is not worth it!!
Pros
There are no pros. There is absolutely NOTHING GOOD about this job.
Cons
Short staffed everyday, ridiculous RN expectations from Management, no support from management, poor work-life balance, constant stress during shift, constantly in danger of losing license, no time to provide high quality patient care
Opportunity for personal growth
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 30, 2016
With many therapists and patients with many diagnoses, there is an opportunity to develop and grow. The company is generous with educational reimbursement.
Pros
oppportunity for personal growth
HealthSouth was a growing fast pace environment.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 25, 2016
I enjoyed my early morning work shift. A typical day at HealthSouth was pleasant. The time went by fast because I was always busy taking care of a patient.
Pros
Early morning shift
Cons
Short breaks
I love comung to work
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 19, 2016
Management and RN's are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Grear benefits and free lunches. Patients are usually happy to be in our care.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hard work
All about the dollars earned
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 18, 2016
My time with Health South was not rewarding at all. Limited training provided, supports lacking from a Nurse Manager who did not know how to be a supportive supervisor and overworked Social Workers who worked too many hours and could never get caught up. The bottom line for this company is obtaining ratings and making money. Patient care is second. While there I was constantly stressed, harassed by the Case Manager Assistant and felt like it was time to go, until I finally went. Limited training options.Managers constantly meddled into one's personal lives and sped it amongst each other. Although the money one can earn is decent, I would stay away unless you desire to work more tan you ever worked before and not be thanked or compensated for doing so.
Pros
Money was decent
Cons
The management; interested in ratings and money.
Horrible place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDApril 17, 2016
Staff for the most part is ok but you have the back stabbers that kiss up to the management. Management is corrupt and don't care how good of a nurse you are, if you don't kiss up they treat you horrible until you quit. They say you can bring your concerns to them but if they do they get mad. Unsafe nurse to patient ratio. Staff getting hurt all the time. All they care about is the money and survey scores. Bring in nonrehabible patients with too high of an acuity. If you dare say anything you're on the hit list. Very toxic environment to work. Everything is run on fear and intimidation. Feel sick just walking into the building its so bad. Rules dont apply to the management's favorites. CEO won't even make eye contact with his employees. Treats us like we are worth his gaze. Don't work here, it's horrible.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
short staffed, overworked, unsafe, corrupt management
Worst Company ever!!!
Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 15, 2016
HealthSouth bought out our hospital and ruined it. Took a company that was dedicated to patient care and turned it into a 3 ring circus. Had shifts of nurses walk off the floor. Shifts of kitchen staff walk out. Therapist going home and working hours at night to do documentation because they are not given time to properly report patient care. Management wants employees to be "puppets." If you are willing to be a puppet this is the company for you. Don't ask a question about their unethical practices towards patient care though. You will be fired without question. This company doesn't care about what the patient's needs are. All they care about is how much money the patient's insurance will pay them. They understaff units and departments and overload employees beyond extremes. Then get write up happy towards those employees when they get behind or ask for help. Their benefits are atrocious for such a large company. It's affordable but doesn't pay for anything. Co-pays are ridiculous for medications.
very well at doing what they do
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aldie, VAApril 11, 2016
It was a great place to work, only negative was always being short staffed. My reason for leaving/ getting fired because I was in a tough spot and they weren't willing to help me.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
not enough staffinh
Great first job in medical field requiring no certification.
Rehab Technician (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXApril 6, 2016
My year at Healthsouth of Wichita Falls was a great one, filled with educational life experience and good hands on work that required me to not only step but leap outside of my comfort zone with strangers, assisting in dressing, bathroom hygiene, walking, and physical/occupational therapy exercises. MY bosses worked well with my schedule and helped me a lot.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No benefits for PRN staff.
Healthsouth
Certified Nurse Aide (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXMarch 12, 2016
Not for me . Long hours and really short breaks. Great staff and coworkers. I work night shifts and wish I had thought of the hours and how that would affect my school. Not working out for me as well as I hoped.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Short breaks, long hours
Med- surge lite
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLMarch 3, 2016
Post-acute care physical rehab facility, caring for 7-10 patients per shift depending on staffing. Co-workers are wonderful with those few exceptions that are found in any work environment. Management has areas that need improvement. There are disconnects in the interdisciplinary communications. Doctor in the facility during majority of day shift only, making night shift admissions entertaining.
Unusual Workplace
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAFebruary 26, 2016
There were times when the staff had a great mix of staffers but when the mix was not positive it was difficult. They have numerous sites and I can only talk about one of them.
Worst place ever
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 22, 2016
Understaffed techs have anywhere to m 15-24 patients at night, day shift as well, no support from management, more of a nursing home instead of rehab, techs are expected to get up all patients for all meals even in the mornings when techs have had a heavy load with a big patient loads the night before. Day shift nurses have to take assignments because of lack of staff, majority of the nurses don't help and most nurses will be in a room with a patient, and the patient will ask for something like a bedpan bathroom, or water they will either put on the patient call light or call a tech on the walkie. Anything the nurse complain that a tech does they are written up, the techs don't have any support, this is a rehab hospital but it's not treated as such, it's a skilled facility, techs and nurses are putting in their two week notices at an alarming rate.Management don't care about the nursing staff, the working conditions are overwhelming, you be better off working for a nursing home, less stressful and less back breaking work, nurses talk to techs like garbage, but it's OK, but if s tech respond back it's called insubordination, not worth your lively hood. They tell you in your interview it's a non lifting facility, that's a fat lie, they don't care, it's a head and bed policy that marketing have, the patients can range from being oversize to violent and they continue to take them in, especially the non compliant violent ones.....if you really need a job go there otherwise turn the other direction, worst place ever, no staff very heavy work. FYI I have put my two weeks in can't  more... take it anymore.  less
Benefits
Cons
Overworked understaff, stressful, no support, heavy work, no respect
Horrible place to work.
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXFebruary 18, 2016
Management is sneaky, unfair, and conniving. They have favorites and the RULES doesn't apply to them. It is really sad that the company has people in superior positions who are racist and treat employees unfairly in 2016...sad.
Pros
Twelve hour shifts
Cons
Nurses especially new grads beware!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 17, 2016
New grads, they will train you with their software for about 2 - 3 weeks and then you will be with a preceptor for about 5 to 8 days AND THATS IT! After that you have to defend yourself. I was there for 1 LONG YEAR until I completed my BSN and it was hard for me to get to a hospital setting because they are also not recognized as an acute care facility. There is NO CULTURAL DIVERSITY and you are not going to fit in UNLESS YOU ARE CUBAN AND SPEAK SPANISH. The nurses speak in Spanish while in the nurses stations and while being in the patient's room with patients who do not even speak Spanish. THE NURSES WILL EAT YOU HERE. After the administration changed in 2015 it has gone downhill even more. As a full time RN I was working more than 3 days per week with 9 - 10 patients each time and an admission. The patient care technicians (who are called RNTs) are overwhelmed with 10 - 15 full care patients. Management is horrible and so are most of the supervisors. Just don't even bother applying here.
Heavy patient load, wonderful RN
RN - Rehab (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 10, 2016
Patient load 9-11 nights and 8-9 days, more and more higher acuity patients, daily transfers out of unstable patients. CEO of location main objective to fill as many beds but not concerned about the acuity and that puts overwhelming pressure on RNs who want to provide great care but have hands tied with heavy pt load. All for growth but need to do it responsibly. This is not rehab it is a med/surg or IMC floor. Nurses are helpful, minimal infighting. Typical nurse managers react to complaints with minimal support and illogical reasoning, remember taking care of 9-11 patients with usually a few requiring higher level of care, hence time consuming other pts and family suffer. Computers, glucometers, wound supplies in short supply, waste time looking for equipment - antique IV pumps and supplies as well as disorganization. Supervisors calling over PA that pt call light on and needs assistance instead of answering light - because the nursing staff is giving report, performing nursing care and CNAs doing vitals, CNA care, passing trays if nurses were available we would be getting lights. Facility does have great rehab personnel and equipment and RN approval in high 80s to 90s consistently. I commend executives for attempting to increase census but need to staff and provide equipment for additional patients
Pros
dedicated coworkers, newer facility/building, weekend doctors who are receptive to nurse/pt requests, decent 401k and benefits
Cons
pay, acuity and patient load 9 - 11, PTO less than other employers, poor cafeteria services, old IV pumps, poorly functioning computers, searching for needed supplies
health conscious
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, ALFebruary 9, 2016
A typical day at the job is working in the cafeteria. Setting up trays and taking them to the patient rooms was my responsibility. I learned to greet people with a smile and attend to them with good care. Management was good and their pays was fair. The employees were cooperative, and they were also hard workers. The most difficult part of the job was walking. The reason is because of the excessive walking due to the room to room services.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Lots of walking