HealthSouth Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Idle, Annoying, and Remotely Motivating
Nutrition Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXAugust 25, 2016
My typical day at work is anticipating on leaving from there.
What I've learned from working there are that people aren't as keen as you thought they were.
Management wise is somewhat ordinary.
I tolerate most of my co-workers for the most part
The hardest part of the job is on Tuesdays which is grocery day, I have to put up groceries as well as finish my task which could be stressful at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my lunch break
Pros
Free lunch, benefits
Cons
inconsiderate employers, aggravating at times
Pay great money , but will work you in the ground
Marketing nurse Liasion (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARAugust 19, 2016
They do not care about their employees . People that have been there for 20yrs. Or more if they aren't of use to them anymore they will think of a reason for them to go!, or make things so difficult they are forced to quit!!
Pros
Pay is great
Cons
Long hours., no loyalty to employees
Great place to work with nice people and helpful staff
Rehabilitation Technician (Current Employee) –  Homewood, ALAugust 18, 2016
I love working here at HealthSouth. Its a great job and I find great satisfaction in helping those who need help. The bosses and co-workers are friendly people. I can truly say that I enjoy going to work daily.
Great people to work for
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXAugust 17, 2016
I am a former employer of Healthsouth. Sadly we were bought out by Post Acute Medical. It is too soon to judge the changes however working for Healthsouth has been wonderful. I look forward to working with my co-workers. we are a true team and work together. We love our patients and the independence we provide for them. Overall excellent place to work.
Pros
team work
Cons
no structure or leadership
Nightmare
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNAugust 10, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of carrying a load of 12-18 patients who all required maximum assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, transferring, etc. ON MY OWN. The majority of the nurses never helped with patient care and worked the techs into the ground. Management is NOT oblivious to the issue, they just do not care. Director of Nursing and Nurse Manager are both useless and do not care a bit for their employees. Hardest part of the job was going in knowing I was going to leave in an immense amount of physical pain from lifting and pulling on 200lbs+ patients for 12 hours. I drove home in tears some days because of the severe pain from the shift I just worked. Did I mention I'm only 21 years old? Leaving a shift in so much pain that I could hardly move the next day? Highly recommend you do NOT work for this company.
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
Everything but helping the patients
Not too bad
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARAugust 3, 2016
I have recently left. I worked full time nights. I worked with great Techs. Some of the nurses not so much. But most are wonderful. One of the night surpervisors was incredible. This one supervisor went above and beyond to help us tech and nurses. Pay was decent but not after benefits, of course that's optional. What little I was around the CNO she was good. The work load is a lot. At times 6 or more hard Max2 transfers that are incontinent all night long with only 2 techs. Some nurses tend to place blame. Blame is usually put on tech. If I had a major complaint it's that some employees aren't given the benefit of the doubt. If a patient complains, depending on management for the night, it's automatically the techs fault regardless of the situation or circumstances. But all in all, it's a decent place with mostly great people.
Pros
Pay, people and Working with patients.
Cons
Lack of support
Stress stress stress
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 3, 2016
As soon as I got to work I was already hours behind on the things to do, lots of stress and no support from employer. They expect you to take verbal and physical abuse from patients, family members and even from some of the doctors. If something goes wrong is the case manager fault but if everything goes right, it is team work! The management hires friends without concerns of experience. Never get out on time, it is a salary position because sometimes you spend 12 to 14 hours a day, no worth it. Very bad place to work for,
Pros
Lots of good hard working people
Cons
stress and low pay for the hours worked
It could a lot be better if everyone did their job!!
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Texarkana, TXJuly 30, 2016
It would be a lot better if everyone did their own job instead of slacking and making it hard for everyone else! I've tried talking to my supervisor but it doesn't do any good!! I DON'T GET PAID FOR DOING MY JOB AND EVERYONE ELSE'S!!
Pros
Few friendly coworkers!
Cons
Overworked and underpaid/ Short breaks
Very unprofessional
Rehab Nursing Tech (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJuly 16, 2016
I did not enjoy this job. It could have been ran a lot smoother, workers were rude to patients and so were management. I do not recommend anyone take a loved one there.
Ran by a very angry women
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 13, 2016
The pay is a joke, your worked like a dog and treated like one. Management yells at you in front of patients, fellow staff, and family members.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, the whole place.
overall a good place to work
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Martin, TNJuly 12, 2016
answer call lights, med pass, do prescribed treatments, if a patient is being sent out to Hospital help Rn with necessary paperwork, clerical work, strive to keep patient satisfaction scores high
Pros
little bit more relaxed at night
Cons
trying to sleep in the day time
Well rounded employers with focus on respect and profesionalism
PRN COTA (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJuly 6, 2016
Very enjoyable work place with good teamwork and excellent learning environment. Management display courteous, professionalism, and respect that is very evident in the happiness of coworkers. We have an excellent rehab to home record.
Three deaths within a month
RN (Former Employee) –  Round Rock, TXJune 30, 2016
Health South of Round Rock has a horrible record of patient safety. Three deaths within a month due to nurse/patient ratio. This is a rehab facility. Patients should come to us whenever they are healthy enough to do a little rehab and then go home. We receive patients who should never be sent our way. Our liasons should never accept these patients, but they do; knowing that we don't have the proper staff to take care of them. The CEO is over 3 hospitals in Austin, so he's never around to make sure that the hospitals are safe. He bounces back and forth between the 3 facilities. He only cares about our census and that we stay full.
Nurses are overworked. Staff is treated unfairly. If it comes down to choosing between nursing staff or administration, administration always wins out. They say they have an open door policy, but if you do try to talk to administration about the staff's needs, they will eventually fire you for being insubordinate. I can't tell you how many good, hardworking, honest employees I've seen walked out the door and fired for caring too much. If you are a terrible nurse you have job security and can work there forever.
Health South only cares about the mighty dollar. Nurses are told if we have a "charity" patient, which I think should never happen. Why should we know if a patient has insurance or not? We should deliver great care regardless of whether they are charity or not.
Most of our administration folks are LVN's. They don't have bachelor degrees or their RN for that matter, which tells you that Health South isn't looking for overly
  more... educated people to be in charge of education, quality or HR for that matter. They just want warm bodies to fill the slots.
Benefits are okay. Pay is okay. Work atmosphere is terrible. Leadership is the worst! I don't trust any of them.
Pros
pay is good
Cons
patient to staff ratio is terrible, patients are losing their lives due to poor staffing
good company
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJune 24, 2016
seeing the elderly patients smile and me knowing I did a good job taking care of them. management is good. the hardest part is when they die.
Pros
good company
Cons
not enough pay
great place to work
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 22, 2016
lots of heavy lifting, some is unsafe.. great pay prn is great also.
people who work there are really nice.
This is a great place to have rehab, the thearpist's are very good at what the do and the staff are very qualified.
rehabilitation nursing techniction (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJune 20, 2016
Working at healthsouth has been a pleasure the management are on site or able to be reached. It is hard work but enjoyable. My coworkers are like family. The hardest part of my job would have to be the bathing or trying to let the patient no that we are not going to
harm them, in words that would not offend them in the least. The most enjoyable is that we all no each other and we work together as a team. The patients and their family's get to no you and that can be a lot of fun.
Pros
dress down day, favorite teams day, crazy hat day etc.
Cons
short lunches
good place to work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJune 15, 2016
Healthsouth is a good place to work i like working around patient and the nurses.management is good.my co-worker are good.i like cleaner rooms
I have thouroughly enjoyed my work at HealthSouth.
PTA PRN (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 14, 2016
HealthSouth is where I got my first hands-on experience with transferring patients, and treating a variety of surgical and generally deconditioned patients. I enjoy working with the geriatric population and have a real passion to educate the patients and their families to help empower them and see them return to doing what makes them happiest. My co-workers at HealthSouth are wonderful, many of them have been on staff for 10+ years and have a wealth of knowledge. They are friendly and show genuine concern in times of struggle and management demonstrates their understanding of how important family time is by no-guilt non-availability. I enjoy working hard for the patients and have a sense of loyalty to this facility because of the way they treat their patients and their staff. We are a great team and the only reason I am considering other opportunities at this time is that I haven't been able to get enough hours lately.
Pros
Young energetic staff who are easy to collaborate with.
Cons
Not enough PRN work to keep me busy for summer time.
No regard for patient safety
clinical staff (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 10, 2016
I would not wish HealthSouth Littleton on my worst enemy and would never trust them with someone I care about. They kill patients, the clinical staff is incompetent, and management could not care less about patient safety. HealthSouth Littleton is horrible. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time even applying. Protect yourself and your license.
Great company with some quirks
Controller (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 9, 2016
Overall, fantastic company. Level of intensity is elevated on monitoring and IT capabilities. Everything can be monitored and analyzed. Benefits are awesome! The only negative is that they sold my hospital and gave us six weeks notice, then two weeks prior to sale was completed they advised that my position wouldn't transition to the new company. Would think that a senior director level position would warrant more advanced notice than that. That having been said, the severance was adequate.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Difficult to advance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthSouth Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9