HealthSouth Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

good company
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJune 24, 2016
seeing the elderly patients smile and me knowing I did a good job taking care of them. management is good. the hardest part is when they die.
Pros
good company
Cons
not enough pay
great place to work
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 22, 2016
lots of heavy lifting, some is unsafe.. great pay prn is great also.
people who work there are really nice.
This is a great place to have rehab, the thearpist's are very good at what the do and the staff are very qualified.
rehabilitation nursing techniction (Current Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJune 20, 2016
Working at healthsouth has been a pleasure the management are on site or able to be reached. It is hard work but enjoyable. My coworkers are like family. The hardest part of my job would have to be the bathing or trying to let the patient no that we are not going to
harm them, in words that would not offend them in the least. The most enjoyable is that we all no each other and we work together as a team. The patients and their family's get to no you and that can be a lot of fun.
Pros
dress down day, favorite teams day, crazy hat day etc.
Cons
short lunches
good place to work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Mechanicsburg, PAJune 15, 2016
Healthsouth is a good place to work i like working around patient and the nurses.management is good.my co-worker are good.i like cleaner rooms
I have thouroughly enjoyed my work at HealthSouth.
PTA PRN (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJune 14, 2016
HealthSouth is where I got my first hands-on experience with transferring patients, and treating a variety of surgical and generally deconditioned patients. I enjoy working with the geriatric population and have a real passion to educate the patients and their families to help empower them and see them return to doing what makes them happiest. My co-workers at HealthSouth are wonderful, many of them have been on staff for 10+ years and have a wealth of knowledge. They are friendly and show genuine concern in times of struggle and management demonstrates their understanding of how important family time is by no-guilt non-availability. I enjoy working hard for the patients and have a sense of loyalty to this facility because of the way they treat their patients and their staff. We are a great team and the only reason I am considering other opportunities at this time is that I haven't been able to get enough hours lately.
Pros
Young energetic staff who are easy to collaborate with.
Cons
Not enough PRN work to keep me busy for summer time.
No regard for patient safety
clinical staff (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COJune 10, 2016
I would not wish HealthSouth Littleton on my worst enemy and would never trust them with someone I care about. They kill patients, the clinical staff is incompetent, and management could not care less about patient safety. HealthSouth Littleton is horrible. Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time even applying. Protect yourself and your license.
Great company with some quirks
Controller (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 9, 2016
Overall, fantastic company. Level of intensity is elevated on monitoring and IT capabilities. Everything can be monitored and analyzed. Benefits are awesome! The only negative is that they sold my hospital and gave us six weeks notice, then two weeks prior to sale was completed they advised that my position wouldn't transition to the new company. Would think that a senior director level position would warrant more advanced notice than that. That having been said, the severance was adequate.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Difficult to advance.
Never work here
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 9, 2016
Don't do it. Dangerous staffing and disrespectful managment. No regard to patients safety. Ridiculous staffing radios and fast turnover of staff. Staff will go to lunch and never return. This happened about once each month.Review CEO and you will understand the legal history of this shady company.
Pros
Cons
Worst company ever.
Its a ok job but I would not recommend anyone to work there
Rehab Nurse Technician (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SC 29730June 5, 2016
This job is very demanding. Short staffed. We work long 12 hours shifts. Employee moral is really at a negative deficit. I don't look forward to going to work
Cons
short breaks, underpaid, no employee incentives
Only apply here if you enjoy murdering patients
Physician (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 19, 2016
HealthSouth in Memphis, TN is liable for the deaths of multiple patients, and disregarding my advice. It's a horrible place to work, the staff is basically incompetent, but not nearly so much as the CEO. If you're a patient or a medical professional, avoid this place at all costs! They've killed more than one person with their stupidity.
Pros
Cons
Irresponsible nurses, CEO, and administration, killing patients through negligence.
Greatt place to work
Physical Therapist Assistant PRN (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 17, 2016
Great Place to work, enjoy working with the staff and great environment to work in. Co workers are great and everyone helps each other out
company out of business
Athletic Trainer / Work Hardening Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2016
This company went out of business years ago. They were great to work for though! I loved my co-workers and working with patients.
Horrible Work Environment for a Nurse!!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  TennesseeMay 8, 2016
There is nothing enjoyable about the job at all!!

10-14 patients every shift, which is ridiculous for any nurse!! It should be illegal!! A nurse should never have more than 7 patients. By the time you get off work, your back will hurt, your blood pressure will be high and you will be insane. The nurses have no support from management at all. RNTs are always understaffed and take it out on the nurses (by yelling at them or being insubordinate) instead of management. Management knows that they are frustrated but refuse to address it, they just blame it on the nurses and say "the nurses can do their job also." Several of the nurses have sent the administration and management complaints and they never respond to them.

If you are a nurse, you are at risk for losing your license every time you walk through the door with the high number of patients that you have. You cannot safely round on your patients with the high patient ratio, if a patient crashes or dies on you, you may possibly be sued by the family, Health South will not support you at all. The only way to be on time is to cut corners. If you don't cut corners, and you do things the right way (taking the time to properly identify your patient before giving medication, properly assessing them, getting vitals every 4-8 hours, doing thorough charting), you are seen as a weak link and criticized. The head nurses will not support or will not help you if you are swamped or running behind.

The poor patients soil themselves all the time because there is never enough staff to help them get out of bed to go to the bathroom or
  more... answer their call light in time. Either that or the patients continue to fall because no one is watching them or assisting them when they need it. The nurses are always understaffed and are told by management that they must do RNT work, along with their nursing responsibilities. Which is not fair!! In any given shift the nurses have to get vitals on all 10-14 patients, pass their meds on time, respond to stat labs, start IVs, perform bladder scans, In & Out Caths, Accucheks, and find time to respond to crashing patients which is unreasonable. Either there will either be one RNT on the floor or none at all. If the RNTs are fully staffed, the nurses are still expected to help them even though we are already overwhelmed with their own duties. Any time a nurse takes out the time to help an RNT, this takes time away from their nursing duty, which ultimately effects patient care. While the RNT clocks out on time, the nurse usually has to stay 1-2 hours after their shift just to finish their tasks because they spent most of their shift doing RNT work. This is not conducive to work-life balance.

The RNTs yell at the nurses all of the time, management knows and lets them get away with it. As a nurse, you will never leave work on time, you will never have lunch, take a break, never have time to go to the bathroom, drink water, etc. Then head nurses have the audacity to get mad at you when you don't take your lunch or get off work on time, how can you???

Management will complain to the staff that call lights are not being answered on time and that quality scores are down yet they refuse to address nurse and RNT staffing concerns. They are too cheap to hire agency staff when regular staff call in. So you are left to suffer on your own.

If you value your life, sanity and well-being do not work for HealthSouth as nurse. They will offer you high pay but it is not worth it in the end if you lose your license, cause harm to a patient, have chronic back pain and develop hypertension. The long-term effects of working in this type of environment will eventually lead to a stroke or heart attack. If you value your life and health, do not work here, if you are here and going through this please leave now, because things are never going to change and it is not worth it!!
Pros
There are no pros. There is absolutely NOTHING GOOD about this job.
Cons
Short staffed everyday, ridiculous RN expectations from Management, no support from management, poor work-life balance, constant stress during shift, constantly in danger of losing license, no time to provide high quality patient care
Opportunity for personal growth
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 30, 2016
With many therapists and patients with many diagnoses, there is an opportunity to develop and grow. The company is generous with educational reimbursement.
Pros
oppportunity for personal growth
HealthSouth was a growing fast pace environment.
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 25, 2016
I enjoyed my early morning work shift. A typical day at HealthSouth was pleasant. The time went by fast because I was always busy taking care of a patient.
Pros
Early morning shift
Cons
Short breaks
I love comung to work
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 19, 2016
Management and RN's are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.
Grear benefits and free lunches. Patients are usually happy to be in our care.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Hard work
All about the dollars earned
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZApril 18, 2016
My time with Health South was not rewarding at all. Limited training provided, supports lacking from a Nurse Manager who did not know how to be a supportive supervisor and overworked Social Workers who worked too many hours and could never get caught up. The bottom line for this company is obtaining ratings and making money. Patient care is second. While there I was constantly stressed, harassed by the Case Manager Assistant and felt like it was time to go, until I finally went. Limited training options.Managers constantly meddled into one's personal lives and sped it amongst each other. Although the money one can earn is decent, I would stay away unless you desire to work more tan you ever worked before and not be thanked or compensated for doing so.
Pros
Money was decent
Cons
The management; interested in ratings and money.
Horrible place to work
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Salisbury, MDApril 17, 2016
Staff for the most part is ok but you have the back stabbers that kiss up to the management. Management is corrupt and don't care how good of a nurse you are, if you don't kiss up they treat you horrible until you quit. They say you can bring your concerns to them but if they do they get mad. Unsafe nurse to patient ratio. Staff getting hurt all the time. All they care about is the money and survey scores. Bring in nonrehabible patients with too high of an acuity. If you dare say anything you're on the hit list. Very toxic environment to work. Everything is run on fear and intimidation. Feel sick just walking into the building its so bad. Rules dont apply to the management's favorites. CEO won't even make eye contact with his employees. Treats us like we are worth his gaze. Don't work here, it's horrible.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
short staffed, overworked, unsafe, corrupt management
Worst Company ever!!!
Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 15, 2016
HealthSouth bought out our hospital and ruined it. Took a company that was dedicated to patient care and turned it into a 3 ring circus. Had shifts of nurses walk off the floor. Shifts of kitchen staff walk out. Therapist going home and working hours at night to do documentation because they are not given time to properly report patient care. Management wants employees to be "puppets." If you are willing to be a puppet this is the company for you. Don't ask a question about their unethical practices towards patient care though. You will be fired without question. This company doesn't care about what the patient's needs are. All they care about is how much money the patient's insurance will pay them. They understaff units and departments and overload employees beyond extremes. Then get write up happy towards those employees when they get behind or ask for help. Their benefits are atrocious for such a large company. It's affordable but doesn't pay for anything. Co-pays are ridiculous for medications.
very well at doing what they do
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aldie, VAApril 11, 2016
It was a great place to work, only negative was always being short staffed. My reason for leaving/ getting fired because I was in a tough spot and they weren't willing to help me.
Pros
very good benefits
Cons
not enough staffinh

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthSouth Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.