HealthSouth Corporation Employee Reviews

Great place to work, excellent management, job flexibility
Clinical Nurse Liaison (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDSeptember 28, 2016
I work as a nurse liaison in the admissions/marketing department for HealthSouth. I have worked here a little over 3 years and love it. The environment is very positive and the management is great. The only downside would be the salary- my position needs a market adjustment to be competitive. It pays about 10k + less than others for the same title.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay
It's a great start into health care
Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Largo, FLOctober 15, 2016
Healthsouth is a great place for people getting into the health care field . You learn a lot working here.. my only issue was there was no way for me or any other nurse tech to advance. Unless you were going to school for nursing. The CEO at this location was very active in communicating with fellow employees. I would have stayed if there were more opportunities of me advancing within the company. I know exactly why there were no advancement for "some" of us.. working there.. I just choose not to say on here. I will say this though.. equal opportunity needs to taught here!
Consistent work schedule with normal holidays off
Rehabilitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXNovember 23, 2016
Pretty consistent daily routine. Make sure patients come down for therapy, assist the therapists with treatments, and complete necessary paperwork. Hardest part is convincing patients to participate that have no desire. Most enjoyable part is seeing the patients get better.
Pros
Free food that people bring all the time, benefits, consistent schedule
Cons
Average pay, not a lot of opportunites for advancement
Poor leadership skills in management. High turnover rate.
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCFebruary 7, 2017
Very demanding workload with high patient/staff ratios. Non competitive pay.
Minimal opportunity to contribute to changes that would better patient care.
Few opportunities for professional growth.
Pros
free tea/coffee, occasionally free meals
Cons
understaffed, poor compensation, lack of support from leadership and fellow staff
Not too bad
Rehab Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARAugust 3, 2016
I have recently left. I worked full time nights. I worked with great Techs. Some of the nurses not so much. But most are wonderful. One of the night surpervisors was incredible. This one supervisor went above and beyond to help us tech and nurses. Pay was decent but not after benefits, of course that's optional. What little I was around the CNO she was good. The work load is a lot. At times 6 or more hard Max2 transfers that are incontinent all night long with only 2 techs. Some nurses tend to place blame. Blame is usually put on tech. If I had a major complaint it's that some employees aren't given the benefit of the doubt. If a patient complains, depending on management for the night, it's automatically the techs fault regardless of the situation or circumstances. But all in all, it's a decent place with mostly great people.
Pros
Pay, people and Working with patients.
Cons
Lack of support
Chief Nursing Officer (Current Employee) –  Sewickley, PAOctober 29, 2016
HealthSouth is an incredible place to work to learn solid nursing technique while caring for a very diverse population. Management works hard to create a culture of teamwork. Nurses and therapists can grow in their craft with opportunity to advance.
Pros
Small hospital makes it feel more like family
Cons
Can be difficult to manage multiple roles within one job title.
I wouldn't do it
Occupational Therapist Registered (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CANovember 4, 2016
The corporation as a whole has it together business wise. Company wide there are good opportunities and probably great work cultures.

I can only speak for the specific site that I worked at and have to say it was a less than exceptional experience.

Staff turnover is very high. There is a reason!!!!

They brag about being salary paid so you can 'leave early' but don't ever think you will get to because you are nickeled and dimed for all your time.

It was a witchy environment. The supervisors choose favorites who they set up for promotions while others are demeaned and picked on.

The supervisors rely on staff/team member's opinions of a person for professional reviews. They never observe for themselves if they have a doubt.

They encourage and accept coworker sabotage.

They tell you to medicate and come in anyways if your sick.

They don't offer growth opportunities to all staff. Just their favorites.

Since staff turnover is high they get a lot of new grads who come in and then leave once their contract is up. So if you're older the work culture is young.

They only care about years experience at their hospital. Seniority is a big deal only if management likes you. If they don't care about you it doesn't matter how long you've been there.

I never want to work for that specific site again. But I think the overall company is great. There are a lot of opportunities to have a fieldwork student and some of the therapists there are exceptional people.

It's a good place to gain a lot of skills fast and then move on.

The dynamics at
  more... that specific hospital are tricky and bullying/tattling are accepted.  less
Pros
Interdisciplinary team work, good pay, good insurance
Cons
Lack of growth opportunities
Idle, Annoying, and Remotely Motivating
Nutrition Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Conroe, TXAugust 25, 2016
My typical day at work is anticipating on leaving from there.
What I've learned from working there are that people aren't as keen as you thought they were.
Management wise is somewhat ordinary.
I tolerate most of my co-workers for the most part
The hardest part of the job is on Tuesdays which is grocery day, I have to put up groceries as well as finish my task which could be stressful at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is my lunch break
Pros
Free lunch, benefits
Cons
inconsiderate employers, aggravating at times
Not a good place to work. Poor management. Not employee or patient centered
Nursing Assistant Certified (Former Employee) –  City of Sunrise, FLFebruary 1, 2017
Run don't walk.🏃🏃 Terrible place to work. New management is only concered about themselves. Heavy work load. High stress environment. You have no work life balance. No one listens to your complaint.
Stress stress stress
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 3, 2016
As soon as I got to work I was already hours behind on the things to do, lots of stress and no support from employer. They expect you to take verbal and physical abuse from patients, family members and even from some of the doctors. If something goes wrong is the case manager fault but if everything goes right, it is team work! The management hires friends without concerns of experience. Never get out on time, it is a salary position because sometimes you spend 12 to 14 hours a day, no worth it. Very bad place to work for,
Pros
Lots of good hard working people
Cons
stress and low pay for the hours worked
don't bother
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stuart, FLNovember 7, 2016
This was a great place to work, until new management came in and took over. It was a place where you wanted to go everyday but with new CEO and her friend CNO it is pure mean and derespectful!! At times you have 16 very sick patients, some that should have never even been there... Very positive the first 2 yrs till new management came in. Over worked understaffed and treated like dirt. Very negative atmosphere
HR is a joke. Stress level is high. They to away Holidays and other things from us. I ended up in the ER for stress and still got in trouble for missing work.... Worst place to work. Its all about the money there and not about the patients or workers. CNO has no idea what she is doing.
Pros
Cons
everything
Positive environment
RN (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 6, 2017
Management is creative, employees seemed happy, Staff is educated and enthusiastic, further education is encouraged, staff input welcomed and encouraged, staff works well together. Rehabilitation well done and able to care for all ages. They have pool therapy which they utilize often. Centrally located. HealthSouth has a good reputation overall and in many locations. Company is comitted to community served. I really enjoyed serving on community safety board which was requested by supervisor for company outreach.
Pros
colleagial sharing
Cons
Review from 1997
Worst Company ever!!!
Admission Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYApril 15, 2016
HealthSouth bought out our hospital and ruined it. Took a company that was dedicated to patient care and turned it into a 3 ring circus. Had shifts of nurses walk off the floor. Shifts of kitchen staff walk out. Therapist going home and working hours at night to do documentation because they are not given time to properly report patient care. Management wants employees to be "puppets." If you are willing to be a puppet this is the company for you. Don't ask a question about their unethical practices towards patient care though. You will be fired without question. This company doesn't care about what the patient's needs are. All they care about is how much money the patient's insurance will pay them. They understaff units and departments and overload employees beyond extremes. Then get write up happy towards those employees when they get behind or ask for help. Their benefits are atrocious for such a large company. It's affordable but doesn't pay for anything. Co-pays are ridiculous for medications.
Awful Place To Work . . .
Van Driver (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 23, 2017
I was very disappointed in their compassion toward patients and fellow employees. The just wanted to keep their beds full to receive the most money . Never provided proper PPE to employees . If an an employee had a death in the family or employee was ill . They would terminate you . If you didn't have enough PTO . From the short time that I was there . They made a fortune off Medicare patients . Management treated everyone bad from the nurses on down . Do not work there or send a patient to them .
RN (Current Employee) –  Round Rock, TXFebruary 15, 2017
I have been PRN there for about 6 months and have had nothing but good experiences with the staff and management. They are willing are to answer questions without making you feel like you are bothering them. The nurses and techs help each other. I gave it 4 stars because occasionally their is shortage of staff but they offer bonuses to get help. I have seen the CEO several times.
Pros
Management and nurses help each other, pay is good
Cons
Sometimes short staff
Good at first then got horrible
Nurse Technician (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXNovember 1, 2016
I worked for this company for 3 years they do not care about there employees Nurses are lazy and the Techs are over worked I could be running around with 5 bed alarms going off and not once would a nurse go check the bed alarm the DNO was the fakest she never followed through with what she said she would do talking to her or anyone in hire management was like talking in circles you got no where couldn't get away from this place fast enough
Pros
Cons
Everything is wrong with this place
Great company but horrible Management & Administration
Rehab Nursing Technician (Current Employee) –  Sherwood, AROctober 27, 2016
I really enjoy my co workers and my job taking care of patients in need. Healthsouth offers great compensation and benefits for all positons. However the administration and management at this particular location are extremely unprofessional and lack compassion for their employees and patients. They offer "self-scheduling" but once you make your schedule in the available slots they change your schedule without asking or telling you if it's ok. I had a day shift position and they pulled me to nights without even asking me if it was ok. I have family, school, and a second day shift job that will not allow me to work nights at this time. After being a employee in excellent standing with the company for well over two years they refused to work with me or let me go part time or PRN. If you are a student or have a second job, do not apply. They will not work around other employees schedules either. They have also failed to give pay raises to deserving employees. I am a nurses assistant, not a nurse. The nurse assistants are always understaffed and have back breaking work loads. The patient to nurse ratio is too high. Nurses are required to take up to 11 patients that require very demanding needs. The types of patients that are being admitted to this rehab are generally "too sick" to be in this type of hospital. They should be at a more critical facility. The work load for the nurse to patient ratio is extremely dangerous. Administration is allowing patients that are too sick or too critical to be in this type of hospital setting which is extremely dangerous and they are doing it solely  more... for the money. I care about patient satisfaction and their well being. This company doesn't, they only care about money. 14 employees this money alone have either quit or put in their two weeks notice. If you want a great place to pursue your career I strongly urge you to seek employment elsewhere!
Be prepared to work required mandatory 7 holidays out of the year, they pick which holidays for you. All new hires are required to work every other weekend, no exceptions or the will fire you.
Pros
Good Health benefits, good salary, tuition assistance, friendly co workers
Cons
Bad administration, always understaffed, not flexible with students or second jobs, no compassion
Wonderful Overall
Fieldwork Level II (Former Employee) –  Edgewood, KYOctober 30, 2016
Therapy is completed on hourly basis. No time in between patients to write notes. Notes are written usually during lunch period. Late days are to be expected to catch up on notes and create next day's schedule. Co-workers are very helpful and so is PRN staff. Therapy techs are helpful as well. Most difficult part of the job is time management. The most enjoyable part is always the patients.
Pros
Free lunches for students, lunches are healthy and tasteful
Cons
Very Fast Paced
Terrible place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham corporate officeJanuary 12, 2017
Worked in the corporate office. Very old school, good-ole-boy atmosphere, has not changed management attitude in all these years. CEO and Vice Presidents are all arrogant and women are beneath them. Women are treated like it was 1950 again and as if they don't have minds. If you like to get food, clean, get coffee, working in the corporate office is for you.
Pros
Cons
Evertyhing
Nightmare
Nursing Technician (Former Employee) –  Martin, TNAugust 10, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of carrying a load of 12-18 patients who all required maximum assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming, toileting, transferring, etc. ON MY OWN. The majority of the nurses never helped with patient care and worked the techs into the ground. Management is NOT oblivious to the issue, they just do not care. Director of Nursing and Nurse Manager are both useless and do not care a bit for their employees. Hardest part of the job was going in knowing I was going to leave in an immense amount of physical pain from lifting and pulling on 200lbs+ patients for 12 hours. I drove home in tears some days because of the severe pain from the shift I just worked. Did I mention I'm only 21 years old? Leaving a shift in so much pain that I could hardly move the next day? Highly recommend you do NOT work for this company.
Pros
Helping patients
Cons
Everything but helping the patients

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HealthSouth Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9