Healthways

Healthways Employer Reviews

Unusual corporate culture with wonderful people.
DR. DEAN ORNISH (Former Employee), Sausalito, CAFebruary 5, 2015
Pros: all food provided during four day on-site workshops.
There was not an average day on the job as demands and situation continued to change with corporate events taking place on-site. As the Administrator, tasks varied from data base management to event planning and then getting lunch for the office. Last minute shipments of marketing material could also be expected. One needed to have a completely open mind as to what a day might hold.
Preventative health coaching, positive work enviroment
Health Coach (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 24, 2015
Pros: pto, benefits, co-workers, culture
Cons: lack of advancement in the company, monotony
Overall a great company to work for. Typical work day includes: team meetings, telephonic coaching sessions and caseload management. I have learned a lot at Healthways about lifestyle management, behavior change and tobacco treatment. The management staff and other colleagues are very supportive. Hardest part of the job is trying to break the monotony of your day. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with like-minded colleagues and coaching members to adopt healthy behaviors.
Sometimes erratic
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: fun events monthly
Cons: bullying tactics allowed by management
A great company but local management is uneven with the tendency to treat employees as children. They do try to schedule moral boosting activities such as "peanut butter sandwich" day and frequent potlucks. Little room for advancement and any pay increases are not based on merit but rather favor curried with management.
Nice perks and pay
Health Coach (Current Employee), Bellevue, WAJanuary 2, 2015
Good pay and benefits. Very difficult to move up within the company if you work outside of HQ. Management on all levels isn't very good at communicating with colleagues on site or across the company.
Health company that provided health management to Cigna members throught the USA
Registered Nurse Associate (Former Employee), Maryland Heights, MODecember 21, 2014
Pros: good salary and benefits, working closely with team, rewards and profit sharing, good references
Cons: stressful job at times. dealing with negative or angy clients. 10 hour shifts with monitored breaks.
The nurses are divided into teams with a manager for each team
Computer generated calls are made to members with a quick review of the basics from the last call.
We are required to be multi state licensed. The USA and territories are included
An interpreter could be added quickly if it was necessary
We reviewed the last call fro a nurse , or explained the program if it was a new client
Main purpose of call was teaching and assessment of any new problems
Written materials sent as appropriate. Referred to one of our dieticians as needed
Hardest part of the job was the fast pace .
Wide range of disease processes of members
Nothing short of Excellent
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Franklin, TNNovember 13, 2014
The staff and the team I work with are wonderful people. I love coming to work everyday and the pay is very competitive.
Overall Good Organization
Sr. Contracts Coordinator (Current Employee), Chandler, AZNovember 11, 2014
Pros: good work life balance and nationwide fitness center memberships.
Great mission and company goals. The company truly cares about job satisfaction.
Fun Place to Work With Great Managment
Release Management Consultant (Former Employee), Franklin, TNNovember 6, 2014
I really enjoyed the leadership at the company and their willingness to work with their employees. The company has a wide range of benefits from an on site cafeteria to excessive classes on site.
Horrible management
former management (Former Employee), Weirton, WVNovember 4, 2014
Pros: not many
Cons: very bad management; low pay
Many are confusing the Healthways Inc in Weirton, WV with another Healthways located elsewhere. The Healthways Inc in Weirton, WV is poorly managed. The CEO feels the need to micromanage and steps around her directors and supervisors rendering them ineffective and not respected by those they supervise. The programs regualarly do not meet state and federal regulations however, when the director attempts to address issues the CEO refuses to allow the necessary changes to bring the programs into compliance. Resident funds and belongings are mishandled, lost, and stolen. The former HR manager who is now the Operations Manager yells at staff and routinely refers to them as "stupid" and "poor managers". Though he and the CEO have been reminded of workplace harrassment laws the abuses and intimidations continue. Low pay for supervisors and direct care staff. Bad management and low pay make this company not worth it which is a shame because there are some very good people who want to provide quality services. Too bad the CEO and Operations Manager are roadblocks.
Easily the Most Politically Dangerous Place I've Worked
Department Leader (Former Employee), Chandler, AZNovember 2, 2014
Pros: if you don't care about accomplishing anything, this is the perfect place to rot away and get a bi-weekly paycheck.
Cons: politically very dangerous not just from leadership down to front line employees, don't try to do anything stupid like try to earn the company revenue, inconsistent treatment, chandler office is a political minefield, some managers do almost nothing but disguise it well, rash decisions made by sr leadership, health insurance is around $3000 ded per person
I worked in the Chandler location as a department leader. These are my personal opinions on the Chandler BU.

- Many employees who have worked there for over 4-5 years are entitled, lazy, and feel that their happiness is more important than doing their job. This includes some of the management level too.
- Dangerous politically. It's a different culture, they'll smile to your face, but cut your throat the next minute. The danger comes in thinking you're in a politics-free zone - it's just disguised better and more vicious.
- The rules don't apply evenly to everyone.
- Inconsistent human resource applications of procedure.
- Leadership makes rash, emotional decisions without looking at the entire picture, which can and will continue to get them into deep water.
- Health benefits are a joke. Extremely high deductible, but they offer HSA contributions, but it gets harder and harder to earn any of them. You have to spend your evenings jumping through hoops to get even a small contribution to HSA.

If you're recruited...candidate beware. It may seem like a dream job. Colorfully decorated offices, smiling people, healthy environment, etc. If you are a person who wants to coast by, do the bare minimum, and keep the status quo, this is a perfect place for you to hide in your mediocrity. If you push to succeed, even if the results are there, beware, because those smiling people stab you in the back, potentially even costing your job and hurting your professional reputation...all the time still wearing their Stepford Wives-like smile.

However, if you want to bring your yoga mat and do yoga during work hours, kiss the right butt at the right time, and never really be held accountable, this place is for you. Oh, and if your boss pushes you to succeed too much - just go ahead and flat-out lie about them and you have a decent chance of pushing them out the door and getting a new boss.
Healthy Corporate America
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 15, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, great people, nice building, accomodating
Cons: micromanaging, monotonous, ambiguous information regarding hiring process, bathroom visits taken from break time
I have been at Healthways for four months as a contractor. While the environment is friendly, there's definitely a lot of pressure put on you and if you can't meet the requirements of this job they would rather let you go than work with you to improve any issues. Furthermore, I have received conflicting messages about when I will become a full time colleague and this has been reversing my trust in this company. While Healthways does promote within more rather than not, I have seen very few people in my position promoted to more than answering calls.

As a member service representative I answer phone calls from members. I typically have some time between calls when we study company policies for an audit later this year or we can typically do what we want so long as it's not social media. In this way the job is simple and very easy. For me, the hardest part of this job is the monotony.

Healthways does shine in at least one sector: its people. The people here are very kind and energetic and they genuinely seem to care about their coworkers and members. This company always follows up on complaints from members and service is the most important facet of the job. My managers are great and my coworkers are involved and engaging.

Because I work on a phone, my hours are constantly monitored. One of my biggest pet peeves is that our bathroom breaks are taken from the two 15 minute breaks we're allotted. While I understand that having these breaks is a privilege, considering Healthways is a Well-Being company, they should allow for extra time for bathroom breaks as it's not healthy not to drink as much water so that you don't go to the bathroom as often.

Overall, it's a good company. When I first started I was worried about working for a big corporation because I thought it would be impersonal and I would have to do things I was not comfortable doing morally. But Healthways is not that and their mission is to make people have longer, healthier lives.
Friendly company with amazing morale
Registered Nurse, Local Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbia, MDSeptember 30, 2014
Healthways really care about their employees; they are flexible, fun loving and work to make sure you are happy doing your job.
Good Company with a Great Mission
Account Manager (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: strong sense of mission
Cons: few advancement opportunities
Healthways is a great company doing some pretty cool things. I love it here and love what we do. ' lots of interesting innovation--a company that is going places!
Unique Culture
Finance Director/Sr. Finance Manager (Current Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 10, 2014
Pros: exercise classes provided onsite
Cons: work life balance can be challenging at times
Fast paced work environment that remains exciting and challenging. The culture is unique and unlike most very open and collaborative.
not that great
Lifestyle Manager / Health Coach (Current Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 5, 2014
really not all that great of a place to work. They only want people to work and counsel people their way.. no room to be your own person or to be an individual.
Workplace that promotes wellness and good health
RN Local Care Coordinator (Current Employee), Columbia, MDJuly 22, 2014
Pros: autonomy; flexible work hours; continuous education; etc
Cons: difficult to seperate work-life engagement.
I work daily to promote good health within the community with patients of CareFirst. I work hand in hand with the PCP, patient, and specialist in coordinating a care plan with reasonable goals that the patient can follow. As an RN, I advocate for the patient and support the patient with community resources that will help the patient in maintaining optimum health. I promote primary education and enjoy educating the patient by being an extension of the Primary Care Physician for the patient's utilization.
Challenging and demanding environment that allowed me to grow both professionally and personally.
Health Coach Team Lead (Former Employee), Franklin, TNJuly 14, 2014
Pros: professional development
Chaos
telephonic RN (Former Employee), Franklin, TNJuly 3, 2014
Pros: good cafeteria in the building
Cons: everything else
sit at a desk all day, although you can stand or move to a treadmill, trying to get people to discuss their chronic health issues and make positive changes to impact their health; sounds great in theory, but the group I worked with didn't want to make any changes, they felt forced by their employer to participate in order to get lower insurance premiums, some of them didn't even know who we were or why we were calling; frequent missteps on the part of management that made our jobs more difficult; management turnover high; management not responsive to addressing problems that arose early on; one manager told me I was taking things too seriously ...
good job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), chandlerJune 25, 2014
Cons: sitting all day
Pretty easy , calls are a breeze. The company is really nice and appreciative
Great company, care about their employees
Senior Workforce Solutions Assistant (Current Employee), Des Moines, IAJune 16, 2014
Pros: wellness, co workers
Cons: poor insurance
Great company to work for, but huge amount of uncertainty regarding job at present due to failure of upper manager in securing new contracts, and keeping those we already have.

1 2 3 4 5

About Healthways

For health insurers, healthy plan members are cheap plan members; that's where Healthways comes in. The health┬áservices company – Read more