Hearst Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive and fun environment
COMMODITY PURCHASING MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 9, 2016
Heavily involved in day to day purchasing. Enjoying learning different products. Interact and communicate with middle and upper level management on a regular basis. Enjoy working with our Procurement's team. There's no hard part of the job. Just enjoy going to work and provide good service.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Shorter hours
Great stable company to work for, diverse and interesting
Marketing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2016
Hearst is a great place to work, with creative interesting people, and they are constantly acquiring new properties. They are more stable than competitor publishing companies, since they are not publically traded and don't have to answer to stockholders.
Pros
Nice work environment, great perks like the gym and Cafe
Cons
A little slow to catch up on the flexible work schedule movement, lower than average salaries, health benefits are very expensive
Fast paced and exciting work environment
Picture Desk Intern (Former Employee) –  LondonApril 5, 2016
I only did one month at Mens Health magazine but the experience was really eye opening into the creative industry.

Each day there were new tasks to develop or create, the tasks were needed quite quickly so I learned to move fast and get the jobs done.

Everyone seemed to work as a team and really help each other within each division.

The hardest part about that experience was commuting each day but I would do it again if given the opportunity!

Most enjoyable part of that experience was seeing the magazine issue come out and see my accomplishments finished and shown to the public
Pros
exciting topics, great teamwork
Cons
long commute, rushed pace
Productive Work place obtained a lot of knowledge
Recruitment Media Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTJuly 4, 2016
Since I've been with the Company, I've moved around in different departments which has helped me diversify and acquire new skills.
Average company
Director of Editorial Production and Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2016
Good company but compensation and benefits are week. Management overlooks highly performing male employees and typically only mentors women into executive roles.
Overall Great Workplace
Fashion (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2016
I really liked working at Hearst. Great people, location, office, and cafeteria. Great human resources dept. I enjoyed working for an established corporation. However it was difficult to advance and some management is very poor despite the corporate standards.
Pros
office, perks, great brands, cafeteria in the building
Cons
compensation, professional growth, management
Great Benefits
QUALITY ASSURANCE SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 22, 2016
The job requires a high level of communication and people management. Involves on the spot problem solving. The HIP system is interactive and user friendly.
Pros
Good Benefits.
Cons
Stringent deadlines.
Friendly and productive environment
Graphic Design Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2016
I worked with a very talented team on Dr. Oz The Good Life Magazine. There was a great team dynamic and everyone was very proactive. I really enjoyed my internship and learned a lot during my time there.
Fire Drills
Director of Automotive / Outside Recruitment (Current Employee) –  Bridgeport, CTMay 26, 2016
to many people leaving, training program is terrible. can produce products, telling customers things that are not true
Hands-on work environment.
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 4, 2016
Hands-on work environment! As a marketing coordinator I wore several hats at once. Provided lots of opportunity for growth.
Pros
Worked sales, marketing and editorial staff
Facing challenge everyday
Head of ELLETV China (Former Employee) –  Shanghai City, ILApril 18, 2016
Teamwork is the most important thing in this job.
Must have abilities of quick reaction, fast learning and control.
Keep yourself ahead of the trends.
Enjoyable place to work
SALESFORCE.COM SUPPORT ANALYST & PM (Current Employee) –  Great River, NYApril 19, 2016
I liked working at Hearst. My office was a friendly work environment. Relaxed atmosphere but coworkers are helpful and supportive.
Great local team, high stress, little encouragement
Employee (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCJanuary 30, 2016
Usual days were 9-10 hours, often more. Investment was rarely recognized and pressure to perform was exceptionally high. Local and corporate teams were great to work with, but sales were more important than customers.
unrealistic expectations
Digital Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 16, 2016
Almost impossible sales goals. Bar is constantly moving. Always threatening your job. Suit in tie in florida in the summertime!
Pros
Cons
dont work here
Stay Away!
Digital Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 13, 2015
Plus side is my co-workers are great but that's where the upside ends. The actual job is far different than what was described in my interview process, and management seems to purposely lie to get new employees they can burn out. You must make 50 cold calls a day, and have high goals you're expected to make right away. My boss has had me work weekends and thinks you should work late every night. No respect for our personal lives
Pros
The company looks good on a resume
Cons
no work/life balance, overbearing managers
Looking for more advancement opportunities
Digital Media Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 16, 2015
I love working for the Hearst Corporation. It's a great, reputable company. I am an inside sales representative and although I enjoy the work environment, I have a different vision for where I would like to advance my career.
Pros
Great team, compensation, benefits
Cons
Cold calling
Great work space
Chief Designer - Prom Issue (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 8, 2016
Nice building, solid workflow and great environment. The whole experience there was conducive to being productive and putting together a quality issue.
A company that overs respect to its employees along with a good work-life balance.
Talent Acquisition Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2015
Hearst offers a good work - life balance and is trying to develop a more robust collaboration model. However, the divisions don't work closely with one another. Overall, I would say Hearst is making strides in the right direction but still has a long way to go.
Pros
good work-life balance
Cons
poor benefits
Fun
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXMarch 2, 2016
Have to learn to work day and night if needed. Overall the co-workers are a lot of fun. Learned a lot about the newspaper business.
Management does not value top performers
Sales (Current Employee) –  USAugust 20, 2015
If you are a top performer, you will make a lot of money. Great company if that is all you care about. If you are looking for job satisfaction and a culture of individual value, recognition, and advancement... this isn't the right fit for you. I would describe my experience as nothing short of work abuse, and I have been a top performer for years now. I have tons of money, but feel sick going into work every morning.
Pros
money
Cons
purely abusive management model - all levels

2.9